About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Venting Board

Just look in my file...
Board: Venting Board
Jun 9, 2016 3:33pm
Thread
So this morning as my first official act of summer vacation, I went to get my mammogram. The actual procedure really doesn't bother me. I got twice a year because my mom died of breast cancer. However. Every time I go I get the same stupid technician who asks me if I have a family history of breast cancer. Every time, I go into my family history. Which I don't enjoy doing. But here is my question: why do I bother giving my family history to the radiology tech if they're going to just ask me again 6 months later? I don't expect her to remember it, but it's in the computer. Why, yes, total stranger, I'd love to stand here with my shirt off and tell you how my mother died, how old she was, how old I was, when she was diagnosed, and then answer all the questions that come from opening that door. Then we get to talk about my grandmothers. Because, you know, it's not like you could just click on my name if your fancy computer and find it. If you still have my emergency contact info from the first time I gave it to you 5 years ago, surely you still have this.

I refused to answer this morning. She can look it up if she needs to know.
Re: Just look in my file...
Reply to: #928008 by Brandy
Jun 9, 2016 3:47pm
Thread
SO wish I could give more than one hug on that little button there. Just know it's not personal and they can be real robots most of the time. Then again, it makes it easier for them to deal by being as disconnected as possible. And some are really just that hollow.
Reply to: #928009 by Raven
Jun 9, 2016 3:49pm
Thread
I get being disconnected but she could just click on my name and see. :/ I'm not even worried about my results. I'm just annoyed still about this morning. I talked to patient relations who had the radiology people call me back. They said they'll flag my account so nobody asks me. But this does not answer my question about why they don't just look in the computer. I can't be the only high-risk patient who is sick of this.
Jun 10, 2016 4:02am
Thread
I have a fairly complicated surgical/medical history. I got tired of filling out the same questions - really, why do you care about my 1992 brain surgery for my 2016 colonoscopy? - so I put it all in a Word document. What drugs I'm on, surgeries I've had, radiation history, scans, everything. I carry a copy with me and hand it over to whoever asks - and they're usually really glad I'm so organized. Maybe you could do the same with your family history.
Reply to: #928090 by TrailTroll
Jun 10, 2016 6:20am
Thread
While mine is not too extensive, I have kept a spreadsheet of my medical, dental, eye exams and procedures as far back as I can remember. God knows when I am 80 I won't be able to recall it all. My doctor was impressed. It's easy to update now. No point in putting this off, folks. It also helps to have the "family history" well documented.

Great reminder, trailtroll!
Jun 27, 2016 6:32pm
Thread
I know it's not the same thing but a similar thing happened to me once. I went to our local clinic for something and then went back a couple of weeks later for a follow up. When I went in the second time the "genius" asked me..."have you been here before" I started to say well since you checked me in last time, you tell me.

Shiloh
Not really venting
Mar 7, 2017 5:30pm
Thread
I have a friend on FaceBook. She's not a close friend. Just someone I used to work with. She got a new job and moved away.
I think she might be bi-polar.
Earlier this year, she posted something to the effect of "Saying my final goodbyes." Which really scared me. Especially when she wouldn't answer a private message.
Hours later, she was posting pictures of puppies and everything seemed great.

She posted "Need help" earlier today. And she hasn't answered anyone's questions as to what's wrong.
I can't deal with this. I don't want to unfriend her. But I'm thinking of blocking her.
Since we're not close, she may not even notice. I just feel so guilty.
I know there's nothing I could really do for her.
But I feel awful.

Help!

SitsNKnits
And frets
Re: Not really venting
Reply to: #942759 by Sits N Knits
Mar 7, 2017 6:48pm
Thread
As someone who cries at AT&T commercials I feel your pain. However, the rational side of me knows there is nothing you can really do except be empathetic. If they are not close friends, and won't answer your attempts at contact, take the small comfort in the fact that you've done all that you can do.
Mar 7, 2017 7:40pm
Thread
Just unfollow her so that you no longer see the posts she posts and she still sees that your on her friends list that way you don't get any backlash. I had to do this with someone in my own town.

Good luck

Gg
Reply to: #942764 by Goofy girl
Mar 7, 2017 7:43pm
Thread
I saw that FaceBook now has an option where I can "take a break" from her.
Whew
Mar 7, 2017 9:09pm
Thread
She's probably just wanting to see how many people and who they are will try to help. in other words....just wants attention.

Shiloh
So mad I could just!!!
Mar 14, 2017 2:01pm
Thread
A uniformed police officer was at a Firehouse Subs in my area recently for lunch and was served a sandwich with a dripping amount of hand sanitizer on it. He noticed it before eating it luckily, especially since the year before he had a heart attack (on SWAT) and is on medication and who knows what it could have done to him. When he told the manager the person who did it was fired and I believe that's all that became of it. This is NOT sitting well with me at all. Can you imagine if he was ordering it to go for a sick kid and they ate it? They wouldn't have known, and I'm pretty sure it would have killed them. That isn't funny, it's not a joke. It's a poisoning, attempted murder, on a police officer to boot. What the heck is going on???
Re: So mad I could just!!!
Reply to: #943004 by Raven
Mar 14, 2017 10:56pm
Thread
It is fortunate it was spotted before ingested! I am with you on harsher consequences being necessary, even if it was some stupidly impulsive high schooler, simply getting fired may not prevent another risky and poorly thought out action in the future toward someone in uniform. Criminal charges leading toward at least probation would be a reminder to others that our men and women in blue need to be respected for their service.
Re: So mad I could just!!!
Reply to: #943048 by FORAYCH
Mar 15, 2017 12:28pm
Thread
My thought too is that if they have no fear to do this in plain sight to a uniformed officer for no personal reason, what have they done to the customer that upset them in some way?
Really????
Jun 17, 2017 5:41pm
Since when has Facebook become the exception to #1? And people just like the post....like.....oh....ok.
And it was a brand new, shiny newbie boxer so I know they didn't ask before they posted.

https://www.atlasquest.com/about/rules/respect.html
Reply to: #942765 by Sits N Knits
Jun 17, 2017 5:46pm
Thread
People who post those dramatic mystery posts that make 37 people ask "what's wrong" have been officially named on the most annoying people on Facebutt list. LOL

Even when it's not dramatic or serious sounding I hate it when they just post things like......going on vacation...........and those 37 people ask "where are you going?"
Mosquitos and camping
Jun 17, 2017 7:42pm
They don't go together very nicely thank you very much! Grrrr!
Sad irony and rant
Mar 17, 2018 6:59am
Thread
Raven's thread about the newbie's comments on their boxing experience and the various responses following the thread was a straw for my camel brain's back (in no way is this against Raven for posting - the comments by the finder are what triggered me).

I know how ironic it is to post on a Board using this hobby's version of social media to rant about how truly screwed I think we are as a species to have electronics so entrenched in to our social fabric, but I must.
Our community has had five young people (ages 11-24) kill themselves in the last five weeks, with each of them in some way bullied through social media because people seem to think being blunt with ones misguided opinions is the way to express themselves nowadays. Are we better off as a society with supercomputers in our pockets and on our wrists? Does it numb us to forget the fact people have feelings and our instant response tweets, texts, chats, comments, etc. can hurt a real person?

Electronic addiction is bound to be part of the next ICD-10 and DSM-5 adaptations because so many people need the fix of instant information, instant feedback, and rapid groupthink. I am not immune and fall into this sometimes too with invested interest in board posts on Atlasquest or ESPN for sports. But, are we all screwed when Generation E grows up and don't care to run the country and take care of the elderly or the planet because it isn't instant enough or doesn't provide enough rapid internal endorphins to motivate them to give to others?

How do we put the genie of microprocessors back in the bottle?

Can't we all get back to simple white lies if we are unhappy finding a box...'nice winter adventure, found stamp, getting hot chocolate now'... instead of complaints?

When this hobby can increasingly experience tension in back and forth posts on a thread after roughly seven or eight comments (a rough average) are our real life stresses spilling out so much that even 'fun activities' can get tainted quickly?

Are we becoming electronic bullies as a species and is this what we want to teach youth? Or is our meanness simply culling the weak from the herd and humans have found a faster way to show Darwin was right?

Heavy sigh. Ramble, rant..sigh some more.

Jeff
Disillusioned
Re: Sad irony and rant
Reply to: #957997 by FORAYCH
Mar 17, 2018 4:01pm
Thread
Can't we all get back to simple white lies if we are unhappy finding a box...'nice winter adventure, found stamp, getting hot chocolate now'... instead of complaints?

Judging from what I see looking at boxes and their comments, the rude comment made by the person Raven posted about is very rare, if not almost nonexistent. 99.9999999999 % of the comments I see are positive, nice, or neutral so I don't think you should despair in that regard just yet.

I had to google "ICD-10 and DSM-5 adaptations" because I am not a medical professional and had NO idea what it meant but you are probably right.

I don't think that people are becoming "electric bullies" as much as we are becoming electronically thoughtless. People just do not think before they type. I have been going online since 1994 and people then were already saying things in the old chat rooms that they would never say in person. It's the "keyboard sitting in your living room as opposed to being face to face" syndrome. This is nothing new but web sites like Facebook have created a whole new electronic planet and I don't think we are EVER going to go back.

With regard to the deaths of those young people (teenagers?) who were bullied online, I think that is a whole different and horrible ballgame. The same way teenagers act and react in person with the emotional part of their brains as opposed to the undeveloped rational part of their brains, they do it online also and this brings very tragic results.

But I think that as long as people like you rant and ramble there is hope.
Reply to: #957997 by FORAYCH
Mar 17, 2018 5:46pm
Thread
I really hope that my post did have nothing to do with upsetting you. I never exposed who made the comment, nor location and such. I know that some searching through my profile and boxes people might find more info as I don't have the power to delete the post. I merely asked if I should respond since the owner/co-planter probably won't be doing anything themselves anytime soon. Plus I didn't think the finder would see my post either after looking at their profile. AQ is the closest thing to any social media I partake in, unless you can consider Pinterest, and you see how often I'm on the boards. Nothing I ever post is bullying by a long shot. I don't believe in the armchair antics that social media has brought along with it and the desensitizing it has ingrained in those who have grown up with it being their norm. As for the suicides you mentioned, were those from AQ? That's a whole lot more going on there. The ages you mention, plus many other contributing factors, are going on there. It seems as though youth are much more likely to go that route, along with it being more likely to hear about it.

All in all, of anyone I could possibly upset on here you are not one I would want to hurt. Not that I would wan to hurt anyone on AQ. I love this community, and for the most part it has accepted me for who I am.
Reply to: #958032 by Raven
Mar 17, 2018 6:06pm
Thread
No worries necessary about offending, Raven. Your post simply brought to mind ways people are rude toward each other...in this case the finder toward you. There have recently been a number of threads where board posts, etc. can deteriorate to negative tones, but nothing extreme to the point of bullying-induced suicide as far as I am aware.

As missmoon eloquently noted, desensitization to electronic dissing of others contributes to much anguish for people and especially youth who access electronics far too much, but lack perspective. The youth in my community struggled with issues prior to bullying on social media...but that put them over the edge, sadly and unfortunately.

Each of us have a role in helping people feel supported and accepted, whether we know them or not. I have always felt supported by you, Raven, and many many others on this site and I hope that continues long into the future.
Reply to: #958032 by Raven
Mar 17, 2018 9:00pm
Thread
You worry too much. It wasn't about you. He made that clear.

I don't have the power to delete the post.

I don't understand that statement. Yes you do. You can delete both the finder's comment and/or your post on the board if you choose to do so.

Plus I didn't think the finder would see my post either after looking at their profile.

I don't understand that either. The finder seeing or not seeing the post has nothing to do with them looking at their profile. They can see it if they look at the Chatter Board.

I never exposed who made the comment, nor location and such

I'm afraid I find that naive. Several people in the discussion, including me looked at your logbook and saw who the finder was, which box it was, when they found it, and their rude comment. That was done with no effort at all. Once you made it public you ........made it public. I frankly don't care if the finder sees the discussion. They got what they deserved. But don't say you didn't expose anyone because by posting about it you did just that.

He was talking about suicides where he lives, nothing to do with AQ.
Reply to: #958035 by MissMoon
Mar 17, 2018 9:47pm
Thread
I misunderstood about where the suicides he mentioned took place.

Yes, I worry too much.

Yes, I'm naive. I didn't post their info, and it seems they have never posted on the boards. If people chose to be nosey and track down which box and where that's on them and wasn't my intention. I would have said straight out who and where if that's what I wanted.

And no, I can't delete their comment (I meant their comment not my post) on the box without deleting the entire box or replacing the owner as myself, I tried.

And I am probably misunderstanding the scolding I'm receiving. Or not. All reasons I don't post much or anything with much depth on the boards. I'm not good with decoding electronic emotions or tone.
Reply to: #958037 by Raven
Mar 18, 2018 1:33am
Thread
And no, I can't delete their comment (I meant their comment not my post) on the box without deleting the entire box or replacing the owner as myself, I tried.

There should be a little red X beside their comment on the box details page. Click it and you will get a pop up to confirm that you want to delete the comment. The comment will disappear when you confirm.
Reply to: #958037 by Raven
Mar 18, 2018 1:35pm
Thread
I'm not sure I am seeing the comments as scolding. There is nothing wrong with calling out bad behavior as you did in your original post.

I visit a lot of message boards and AQ is definitely one of nicest. I wouldn't stress about it. I for one appreciate you contributions to these forums.

DZ
Reply to: #958039 by Janila
Mar 18, 2018 3:01pm
Thread
There should be a little red X beside their comment on the box details page.

Shoud be, but I'm listed as co-planter and not owner so I don't have that privilege. I can edit the box, or delete it altogether. I cannot touch the comments entered by finders.
Keywords In Advance Search
Apr 10, 2018 6:56pm
I wish people wouldn't use "cemetery" as a keyword unless the box is actually *in* a cemetery.

Just sayin'

MM
You know...
Jul 14, 2018 5:37pm
I am getting really tired of people listing boxes that I assume are not planted yet, since it says unavailable? There's a clue.....go here...look there.......yada, yada, yada.......the box is just not "available" yet. So it's not there yet or did you list it just so someone could log it? Was it ever there? Will it ever be there?

And since I'm here......you know those boxes that people plant while they are traveling and they ask local people to maintain for them?.....well....if you are one of these locals and you commented that you pulled the box on such and such date....no finds since then....are you ever going to put it back? Or did you put it back and never comment? Do you care? Is it still in the trunk of your car?

And......I'm getting tired of people who do things like make one letterbox with 15 stamps in it 15 boxes. It's ONE box, not 15 boxes. And then people who should know better go ahead and log 15 boxes. Really?

Ok. I'm done. It's been building up. Some of the stuff that goes on is just unbelievable.
Today is not the day
Aug 1, 2018 11:41am
Thread
It's barely 11:30 and I already have had two bowls of vanilla ice cresm with non-child slave labor chocolate syrup. And everyone will tell you, I don't really eat ice cream. And certainly not at 11 in the morning.

Things are pretty bad.

I really hate cancer, guys. I reallllyyyy do.

Not me but my best friend's 4 yo grandbaby.

And that was just this morning. Yesterday was pretty crappy too, but for work related reasons. When you are on their crap list, they'll let you know it.

Yep. Today is not the day
Re: Today is not the day
Reply to: #963302 by Captain Slick Kitty
Aug 1, 2018 11:46am
Thread
Today is not the day

It is the day for Virtual Hugs though! So consider yourself hugged, and know there are a lot of CSK Fans out here who respect and admire you.