A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Carving

Re: Orange Stuff
Board: Carving
Reply to: #351719 by Romana
Feb 17, 2009 3:59pm
Thread
Actually, the only place to get any PZ Kut is from Stampeaz.

pre
Re: Orange Stuff
Reply to: #351719 by Romana
Feb 18, 2009 6:36pm
Thread
Local LBer it is! I'll have to find her site. Thanks!
Help!!
Feb 20, 2009 7:07pm
Thread
Ok i spend 3 hours trying to carve one stamp and it never looked right,,,,whats the best way to carve
Thanks
Ellen
Re: Help!!
Reply to: #353267 by skier4444
Feb 20, 2009 7:14pm
Thread
it really depends on what you are carving.
Take your time and don't be afraid

Start with a simple subject and the move on to harder ones.

I carve deep. with knives, gouges, and needles.
Some carve very shallow with just gouges - they amaze me. I don't know how they do that.

If you are using an needle or a knife use the smallest part and carve small sections at a time.
cootie stamp
Mar 13, 2009 4:08pm
What eraser /pzcut do you use for a cootie stamp?
Any Youtube videos?
May 17, 2013 7:58pm
Are there any really good youtube video's about carving stamps. I have done the basic search but they are not too helpful.
On right now! Carving and stamping
Feb 14, 2016 1:26pm
Click the link:
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/stamping-techniques-design-robert-mahar

It's playing right now! Perfect for beginner carvers.
Carving a Real Person
Dec 6, 2017 9:12pm
Thread
First off, man, is this board dead :) I hope some of you actually see this post. Did these sorts of questions migrate over to somewhere else?

Okay, now my main question: I'm finally gonna tackle carving a stamp of a real person. Like, say, Jimmy Stewart or Beyoncé. My problem is: I can't really find a good caricature or graphic image representation of my subject. Mind you, there are lots of "normal" black and white pictures out there - like if it were Dick Van Dyke, there's this: http://classicmoviechat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Dick-Van-Dyke-9515591-1-402.jpg - but that's really gray scale. And i'm not sure how to "convert" it to something carvable. Do I just treat anything not pure black as white?

Looking for tips. Or directions to where this might have been covered here already. Thanks.
Re: Carving a Real Person
Reply to: #954401 by Poison Oak
Dec 7, 2017 7:22am
Thread
If you want to use that photo, you'd have to use black for all shadowy areas of the face, even the wrinkles of the forehead, and white for the remainder of the skin.

Other people have computer aps that make high contrast images. i am not a computer whiz, so can't help, there.
Dec 7, 2017 10:23am
Thread
I think that a lot of posts that could go here often go to the group Tools of the Trade. Speaking of which, I think if you go there you could post your image conversion technique request. There are online sites that will convert pictures into line drawings, that is what you need to do in order to carve a real person. If you are looking for software, look for the same kind of thing. I use Paint Shop Pro and there are boatloads of tutorials to convet an image to line drawings.

Good luck!

Lynn

PS: Who are you looking to do an image of?
Dec 7, 2017 12:11pm
Thread
I used this free program to convert a photo of a person to something i could carve - but it was a bit of work and required some free-hand touch ups. Results will largely depend on the starting photo I'd imaging
https://online.rapidresizer.com/photograph-to-pattern.php
Reply to: #954414 by Bon Echo
Dec 7, 2017 12:17pm
Thread
Here is the photo you posted with about 5 minutes of working it up in the rapidresizer program. It will still need some touch up, but you get the idea.
https://www.atlasquest.com/images/gallery/14/31/143114lg.jpg
I should mention that to save an image from that program I use the microscoft snipping tool (like a screenshot), haven;t figured out how to save an image once it is edited.
Dec 7, 2017 5:50pm
Thread
Another way to convert images to something carvable is to use a photo editor to posterize an image. You can often choose the number of colors to 2 and get what you are looking for. Sometimes, you have to fiddle with the light and contrast before posterizing.
Reply to: #954411 by Phoenix Rizing
Dec 8, 2017 12:09am
Thread
Thanks.

Jayne Mansfield.
Reply to: #954416 by Bon Echo
Dec 8, 2017 12:11am
Thread
Thanks. Now I wish I'd posted the actual picture I wanna use :)
Reply to: #954427 by Poison Oak
Dec 8, 2017 9:46am
Thread
Give the program a try but if you run into any problems I'm willing to take a try as well.
Reply to: #954435 by Bon Echo
Dec 11, 2017 3:33pm
Thread
Thanks.
Reply to: #954477 by Poison Oak
Dec 11, 2017 4:09pm
Thread
I usually google "convert image to sketch" and any number of sites come up. You upload a picture and play around with their styles. Use snipping tool to save it if there isn't a save option.

I also have a freeware program called Infranview that is a good photo editor. But any photo editor should have similar options. I convert pic to grayscale. Then look for effects like "edge detection" or "sketch". Or play around with the contrasts and brightness til I get something that looks reasonably good.
Reply to: #954479 by BaliWho
Dec 11, 2017 4:24pm
Thread
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?albumId=4636

Here's what I got using Infranview. Used the line detection feature, then used negative image, then played with contrast a little.

It's not great, but you could tweak it more.

For me, it helps to find a picture that looks like it will have a lot of contrast and detail once converted to grayscale. A lot of her pics look hard because the hair and skin are so pale.
Dick Blick Mystery Material
Aug 5, 2018 8:26am
I picked it up this weekend from Dick Blick in Philadelphia some mystery medium. It seems to have a consistency like pink, a touch thinner and has a thin layer of grey on top of white. Has anyone worked with this material?
my first stamp carve
Jun 20, 2019 8:46pm
Thread
So I'm reading the tutorials before I begin to carve after I transfer do I cut the area with the image out with a couple inches of extra on each side of the image to work with that way I can use the rest of the block that didn't have the image later?
Re: my first stamp carve
Reply to: #976503 by Dustynfamily
Jun 20, 2019 10:00pm
Thread
do I cut the area with the image out with a couple inches of extra on each side of the image to work with

If I'm understanding your question, my opinion would be that's much more margin than you need. I tend to work with a piece that has, at most, maybe 1/4" - 1/2" margin around the image. And when I finish the carving, I trim it down further so there's as little empty space as possible around the final stamp. It will fit in smaller boxes, and you won't have as many issues with the edges inadvertently making stray & unwanted marks. Also, that leaves your original block in a larger, solid piece, instead of having smaller trimmings to work with.
Congratulations on your first stamp. I laugh when I look at my first effort now, but I used it for a year while I practiced and got better.
Reply to: #976506 by Wise Wanderer
Jun 21, 2019 12:07am
Thread
Thanks Wise Wonderer. I am really proud of myself for having found the materials at AC Moores for less than what I have seen on Amazon only thing I forgot was tracing paper but I might ask hubby if our printer is a laser or inkjet type system (not sure the difference not that technical)
Reply to: #976508 by Dustynfamily
Jun 21, 2019 9:22am
Thread
I use parchment paper (baking kind) to trace on. Pencil rubs off nicely onto the pink stuff if you’re not doing too much detail.
Reply to: #976523 by JampersandJ
Jun 21, 2019 9:52am
Thread
thanks for the info JampersanJ Ill have to try that... I know I have parchment paper
Jun 21, 2019 6:32pm
Thread
You definitely want to conserve space on your block of pink (I assume that is what you are using), I try to only give a border of 1/4". I also purchase from Amazon a larger 9x11.75 block of pink, it is under $17:

https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-4196-Speedy-Carve-Printing-Carving/dp/B003IG2B4Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1H8YNTPG9E69P&keywords=speedball+speedy+carve&qid=1561166731&s=gateway&sprefix=speedball+spee%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1

If your printer is toner, my research and testing, I have found true HP toner using acetone works the best (for me) for transferring images and retaining detail in the transfer.

Also, note that on blocks of pink, one or 2 edges are unusable for about 1/4" due to the way it is manufactured. I usually cut off those edges before I do a transfer so that I don't inadvertently utilize the edge that will just mess up the stamp.

Lynn
Jun 22, 2019 12:57am
Thread
Congrats on your first carve! I print out my image, outline with #2 pencil, turn it over and apply it as a rubbing using the back end of my speedball carvers. Works great for me :). I also tend to use about a 1/4 inch edge ;).
Reply to: #976523 by JampersandJ
Jun 22, 2019 9:56pm
Thread
I PRINT onto parchment paper... low ink setting, tape it to my sheet of paper. Once printed, I burnish it onto the rubber

Lisa
PS If I’m out of parchment paper, I have use plastic report covers slightly sanded with Super fine sandpaper to help the ink not smear
Reply to: #976568 by idlemoon
Jun 23, 2019 6:09am
Thread
Oooh, new technique! Thanks! :)
Reply to: #976547 by Twilight2000
Jun 24, 2019 4:33am
Thread
I print out my image, outline with #2 pencil, turn it over and apply it as a rubbing using the back end of my speedball carvers.

I do the same thing. For the life of me, I have never been able to get a usable printout for a transfer. I've tried different printers (lazer, inkjet, old new), acetone and many other chemicals, irons, all sorts of things. It all just ends up being a waste of time.