Search Edit Search

Read Board: CCCP Home

Re: Planting and Plant Date
Board: CCCP Home
Reply to: #953798 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 18, 2017 8:06am
Thread
if the stamp wasn't available until May 2013, why make the listing in 2011/2012

You don't seem to have a very clear grasp of the CCCP ethos....
Reply to: #953804 by IllegitimateHenEradicator
Nov 18, 2017 8:41am
Thread
if the stamp wasn't available until May 2013, why make the listing in 2011/2012

You don't seem to have a very clear grasp of the CCCP ethos....

I understand the point of making mysterious boxes. I've done a few myself. I just don't understand why the listing was made when the box wasn't yet available. Perhaps if I saw the listing.

I have searched for puzzle boxes by Kelsung, but I don't see one listed as planted in November 2012. I do see one listed on November 2011. Is this the one? I don't see why it wouldn't be there when listed, unless it is supposed to be a 'missing soldier'.
Reply to: #953804 by IllegitimateHenEradicator
Nov 18, 2017 9:38am
Thread
We really do not have an ethos, just a desire to create clever clues, as opposed to directions.

We are also not beholden to the grammar police.

LB
Reply to: #953805 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 19, 2017 10:21am
Thread
My apologies. That was a late night post. My intention was simply to state that in most situations, the accuracy of the plant date doesn't really affect the boxing experience, so if there was a grey area of a few days it wasn't really important.

To make said point, I attempted to give polar opposite extreme situations. The first example was a mystery box planted on PAL day. For all my public rants against that event, I still used it for clue purposes. However, sometime later Ryan changed AQ to automatically hide the plant date of mystery boxes. Overall, this I consider a positive change, which is why you can't figure which box I refer to in my second example, but it did diminish the chances of Le Chiffre being found anymore.

The point of my second example was to describe a situation where I put out a clue that I knew would take so long to figure out that the box didn't need to actually be in place until I was certain it was even on someone's radar. Rather than making my point, my description comes off either confusing or arrogant. My apologies.

K
Reply to: #953844 by Kelsung
Nov 19, 2017 2:01pm
Thread
The point of my second example was to describe a situation where I put out a clue that I knew would take so long to figure out that the box didn't need to actually be in place until I was certain it was even on someone's radar. Rather than making my point, my description comes off either confusing or arrogant. My apologies.

No problem.

At least, to me, it didn't come off as arrogant, just confusing. This clears it up for me though. However, I've had puzzles (mostly in geocaching) that I've planted/placed take much longer or shorter than I ever expected. This is why I (personally) don't make it available for solving until I have everything in place, though "Your mileage may vary." ;-)
Reply to: #953776 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 22, 2017 12:58pm
Thread
I use the date that it was actually planted, since it's called the plant date. To me, this is separate from the date the box was listed. There is almost always a delay for my boxes, sometimes it can even be months between planting and listing. (Coming up with good clues is hard!)
Free Printable Escape Rooms
Nov 28, 2017 8:01pm
Thread
I'd like to make a letterbox clue in the form of an escape room. I've played escape rooms on my tablet, watched videos and even played one actual escape room. I don't know how to translate one of these into a printable letterboxing clue.

I've seen printable escape rooms for sale, but I'd like to try one first before I buy one. I figure that just like other puzzle types where people share their puzzles for fun (like Puzzled Pint, The Griddle and Perplexible) that there would be people who make printable escape rooms for fun. However, I haven't found any in my searches of the internet.

I could always do an escape room like that one text adventure game that lead to a few Eevil letterboxes, but I don't remember which ones. After all, escape rooms are descendants from text adventure games.
Re: Free Printable Escape Rooms
Reply to: #954162 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 28, 2017 8:19pm
Thread
Eric Berlin has written a few printable escape rooms - basically mini puzzle hunts framed as an "escape room" of sorts.
http://pandamagazine.com/escape/
http://pandamagazine.com/escape_the_library/

There are some AR "escape rooms" on Cluekeeper.

Lots of "escape room in a box" options on Amazon - some are decent, some are quite horrible (both in production value and puzzle quality), none I've seen are amazing.

As a webpage, you could do an HTML image map over a plan of a room with some basic logic to sequentially unlock new parts of the room, other rooms, or new parts of puzzles.

Reply to: #954163 by Mu
Nov 28, 2017 10:12pm
Thread
There are some AR "escape rooms" on Cluekeeper.

I'll have to look into it further. From the introductory video I watched it has a lot in common with Wherigo. Cluekeeper seems to have more features though. I'll have to look into that.

However, since letterboxers don't seem to be interested in using a GPS receiver to find a box, I'm thinking that there won't be many interested in doing this either. I think I'll try one and see what happens.

Lots of "escape room in a box" options on Amazon - some are decent, some are quite horrible (both in production value and puzzle quality), none I've seen are amazing.

This is why I want to try one before I buy one of those on Amazon. They have quite variation in reviews, like you said. Maybe the escape room experience just can't be done well unless you have real locked boxes or an equivalent on a tablet.

As a webpage, you could do an HTML image map over a plan of a room with some basic logic to sequentially unlock new parts of the room, other rooms, or new parts of puzzles.

That could very well work. It would be like the escape room apps I've played on my tablet. Those are fun/frustrating.

I've also got another idea: Make the letterboxes themselves be the escape room. Find a place where I can hide a few to several boxes in proximity to each other. When they open each box they will get clue(s) to open/find one or more boxes. It could be fun/frustrating.
Reply to: #954168 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 30, 2017 10:36am
Thread
Some similarities with Wherigo, but Cluekeeper is primarily meant as a tracker for puzzle hunts, with added AR capabilities through Zappar. It doesn't have to be location based whatsoever and could allow for image recognition of and interaction with printed components or household items (check out the free Gnome Invasion hunt for an example of this.)

As with any real or paper escape room available to a popular market, the variation in reviews largely is the result of different people's puzzle experience. I've played 50+ real life escape rooms, so when I review a new room, I can compare against all the highs and lows of past rooms I've played, whereas escape room newbies will either love the adventure, regardless of the quality of the room, or get frustrated and hate it, even if it's a brilliantly designed room. Thus, finding puzzlers' blogs that review such things is usually your best bet, rather than Amazon reviews.

Many possible directions to go with making the letterboxes themselves the escape "room" - and I'd love to hear about or find whatever you create if you go that direction!!

Reply to: #954213 by Mu
Nov 30, 2017 9:51pm
Thread
I've played 50+ real life escape rooms [....] Many possible directions to go with making the letterboxes themselves the escape "room" - and I'd love to hear about or find whatever you create if you go that direction!!

I've played one room, watched videos and played some escape room apps. I'll have to play with making some for myself before I venture into making one into a letterbox series. I'll have to post here when I've planted it.
Up for a Collaboration?
Mar 20, 2018 2:26pm
Hi All -

Is anyone interested in collaborating on some plants with me? I planted some boxes a few months ago but I haven't listed them yet. I typically like having creative puzzle clues, but life has gotten busier lately and I haven't been able to make the time. So I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone would like to create the clues for my already-planted boxes. I'd post these clues on my website and credit you for your creativity. :)

There's a single box ('Mother Nature') in the middle of PA and a 5-box series ('The Hunger Games') at a Virginia State Park.

Thanks!
RideTheMoose
string
Dec 27, 2018 4:22pm
Thread
can someone point me toward a coding technique using string?
Re: string
Reply to: #969701 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Dec 27, 2018 4:53pm
Thread
Mme Defarge springs to mind :)
Reply to: #969702 by Sheba
Dec 28, 2018 11:10pm
Thread
Sorry to bump this thread without adding anything but...

I have no idea what is being discussed here. Anyone care to put me out of my misery?

🤪
Reply to: #969733 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 29, 2018 3:45am
Thread
In "A Tale of Two Cities", the Madame ciphered in the names of the to be guillotined into patterns she was knitting.

LB
Reply to: #969701 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Dec 29, 2018 9:11am
Thread
You could look into quipu.

In what I've found so far (in the last hour), I haven't found details. If you do pursue it enough to find details, please share the link with the rest of us.
online coder
Jan 3, 2019 10:19pm
Thread
I'm looking for a free online coder to create what I'll describe here as
a 2D coded image that can only be read by looking at the edge of paper.
Re: online coder
Reply to: #969970 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 3, 2019 10:40pm
Thread
Are you talking about a stereogram? If so there is a free generator here:

http://www.hidden-3d.com/index.php?id=msg_gen
Jan 3, 2019 10:48pm
Thread
You could try Snotes. It looks okay.

I'll post more if I find some.
Reply to: #969971 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 3, 2019 10:51pm
Thread
Re-reading your post, maybe you meant anamorphic writing?

http://www.sheaff-ephemera.com/list/anamorphic_writing.html

I’ve always made these by hand. Maybe there is an online generator for these as well.

DZ
Reply to: #969972 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 3, 2019 11:51pm
Thread
If you have Inkscape (which is free) you can make your own. Here are two videos on how to do what you want for one word or line of text. Just use a circle to conform the text to, and then rotate each piece of the text.
Jan 4, 2019 5:25am
Thread
It's not complicated to make your own. Let me know if you want to try it.
Jan 4, 2019 9:06am
Thread
OMG! These are all so amazing! The winner is anamorphic; yet, there is one here that will work better! thank you.

anymore codes I need to bookmark?
Reply to: #969987 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 4, 2019 11:03am
Thread
Reply to: #969994 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 11:16am
Thread
and Thanks! I'll just bookmark this post ;~)

and did anyone notice that the next person to post will post #969996?
Reply to: #969995 by Maude
Jan 4, 2019 2:16pm
Thread
Great suggestions all - this is the primary reason I set up this group some years ago - to get the creative clue creation juices flowing.

LB
Reply to: #969994 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 7, 2019 7:00pm
Thread
Wow, great resource post! Thanks for taking the time. Bookmarking!!!
Reply to: #970129 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 7, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
That comes from previous bookmarking on my local computer. I just accumulated those from years of trying to solve puzzles.
Reply to: #969971 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 29, 2019 5:47pm
Thread
Are you talking about a stereogram?

Oh this could be so much fun!

~Aurora