Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Great Lakes

Home Dome letterbox has new clues
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Jul 29, 2018 6:20am
My Home Dome letterbox in Rhinelander has been relocated a few times over the years due to changes in the location's landscaping. The building's groundskeeping crews have been kind enough to never have tossed it. However, when I checked on it this weekend I found that they had also recently relocated a geocache to be literally right on top of my box. So, not willing to risk one of my favorite carves, I have completely relocated the box to be a couple blocks away. The new clues have been posted.
GLG 2019 Stamp request
Aug 13, 2018 7:16pm
Here is the first tracker for request stamps. I will be posting additional trackers as I create them.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9930
GLG 2019 campsites
Aug 19, 2018 6:59pm
Just as a reminder you can reserve your campsites now. Crow Wing State Park books up every weekend during the summer. Don't wait to long before reserving your space.
I camped there this weekend they have campsites at are out in the open and also some that are more private.
Winter Fest 2019
Sep 17, 2018 12:06pm
The event is listed!! Better late than never....kind of forgot about it during summer's craziness. Hope to see you there!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=4076
It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Dec 15, 2018 7:06am
Thread
The word list has dropped! Get those highlighters ready...it's time for Letterboxing Bingo!!
Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Reply to: #969414 by Dawnkey
Dec 15, 2018 7:10am
Thread
So. Much. Fun. If you haven't joined in in past years, please do! We are all here to answer questions.
Dec 15, 2018 9:00am
Thread
Yay! I need a distraction today!! I hope I have found some of the boxes!!
BINGO 2019
Dec 16, 2018 8:22am
Thread
I posted BINGO 2019 word lists, rules, and grids on the Yahoo group site. Please join us for this winter tradition! Cards are due to me by 12/31/18. New to Great Lakes Letterboxing BINGO? Fill out a card, check the daily word, and then cross of your winners. Terms are based on letterboxers you've found and people you've met. Don't worry.. there is also a list of general terms for everyone's use.

CHECK THE RULES, I'VE MADE A FEW TWEAKS THIS YEAR!😉

A of Atomic Beans
Reply to: #969421 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 16, 2018 8:25am
Thread
I guess I should read the board before posting...🤷

I hope you are able to cross off a few terms!

A of AB
Reply to: #969421 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 16, 2018 8:31am
Thread
I hope I have found some of the boxes!!

I'm curious if you have. If not, it's not too late to get out there and make a find!

I've found 3 on this year's list, which is two more than last year. All 3 are in the greater SE Michigan area.
Reply to: #969442 by Dawnkey
Dec 16, 2018 10:53am
Thread
I've found 13 and see a whole bunch on there which I would LOVE to find (but won't be...). There are so many great letterboxes out there.

Last year, it seemed as if the general terms were being called more than in the past, so you never really know what's going to happen. I think the way it's set up works to everyone's advantage.

Now to fill in my Bingo sheet and get it mailed off...I really should do it before Christmas...
Reply to: #969446 by Angel Winks
Dec 16, 2018 11:52am
Thread
I use a random generator to set the word order..so it's just the luck of the draw for general terms vs specific ones... even if it seems to vary from year to year.
Dec 16, 2018 12:31pm
Thread
How does one join the fun??
Reply to: #969448 by Atomic Beans
Dec 16, 2018 2:27pm
Thread
Oh, I figured that. I just wanted to make sure people who didn't necessarily have a lot of box finds or exchanges or events knew that the general terms are totally worth adding to the card.

Thanks, Adam, for all your work on this. It's such a gift to letterboxers.
Reply to: #969449 by Mama Stork
Dec 16, 2018 2:31pm
Thread
So I copied this from our Great Lakes Letterboxing sight, posted by atomic beans:

"I posted BINGO 2019 word lists, rules, and grids on the Yahoo group site. Please join us for this winter tradition! Cards are due to me by 12/31/18. New to Great Lakes Letterboxing BINGO? Fill out a card, check the daily word, and then cross of your winners. Terms are based on letterboxers you've found and people you've met. Don't worry.. there is also a list of general terms for everyone's use. CHECK THE RULES, I'VE MADE A FEW TWEAKS THIS YEAR!😉"

The Yahoo group site is Letterbox Great Lakes.
New Pinecone Adventure
Dec 16, 2018 8:24pm
Hi there,

Our next trip will be a fall trip to the Door County Lighthouses and letterboxes. Tentative dates are Sunday, September 22 to Friday, September 27. You arrange your flights to and from Milwaukee and we’ll take care of the rest. We will rent either vans or a bus.

Visit Pinecone Adventures Facebook page and “like” it to get the latest news. If you are interested, please comment on the post about this trip.

Hope to see you on this trip that will be filled with fall beauty, the sea, lighthouses, letterboxes and, best of all, some terrific letterboxers!

Mark Pepe
Re: BINGO 2019
Reply to: #969440 by Atomic Beans
Dec 16, 2018 8:51pm
Thread
I love the new rules! Thanks for hosting again!
Reply to: #969452 by Angel Winks
Dec 17, 2018 4:09am
Thread
Thanks--I requested approval to join. Been a while since I used Yahoo groups!
Re: most wonderful time of the year! STILL TIME TO JOIN
Reply to: #969471 by Mama Stork
Dec 29, 2018 8:11pm
Thread
Still time to play BINGO...cards due on Monday! Join now!
Re: most wonderful time of the year! STILL TIME TO JOIN
Reply to: #969758 by Atomic Beans
Jan 1, 2019 10:34am
Thread
Also still time to join the Bingo Side Wagers game, submissions accepted through 1/10.

Side Wagers 2019
(thanks to Azobox, Wisconsin Hiker, TJ Mich, Atom 118, and all other previous Side Wager coordinators!)

Side Wager: A wager made beyond the normal rules of the game. A hedge bet.

If you'd again like to add more excitement to the letterboxing bingo game (or another way to win), enter the Side Wagers Game. When will AtomicBeans pull the term that finally and completely fills in some player's card? Pick the right day, and you WIN! Again, this is the Big Game here, not the interim games. The date will be determined by the claiming of a successful full card by a BINGO player (and its certification by AtomicBeans).

To enter the side wagers game, decide what day you think the first full card winner will be crowned. Send me your guesses.

Your guess must be submitted before January 10, 2019.
Email: baliddletoo@yahoo.com

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THE Atlas Quest BOARD

In the subject line, put "Bingo Sidewagers Game"
In the body, please indicate:
1. the date you have selected as a first choice,
2. one additional backup date
3. your trail name.
4. your email address

If multiple people in your household use the same trail name, you can submit one entry for each person. Please differentiate the entries to clarify each entry. For example: Team Rabbit: Brown Rabbit; Team Rabbit: Rainy Day Rabbit; or Hartx6: Becki and Hartx6: Matt, etc.

If two or more players choose the same date as a 1st choice, the first entry is given the date and the 2nd choice backup date will be assigned to anyone else who chooses the initial date. If both of a player’s choices have already been selected by other entrants, they will be assigned a date close to their 1st choice. This will be done by moving earlier *or* later until the next available date is found.

After you submit your entry, I will email you with confirmation of your officially selected date. Each person will be assigned one date only.

Once the bingo game gets underway, you will see me posting some mysterious messages. These messages are clues to who is currently in the running for side wagers fame. If you figure out the messages, please do not post answers to the message board in order to keep the mystery alive for others.
Homerdoodle events listed
Jan 21, 2019 12:10pm
We will be having Homerdoodle in the Woods this coming summer at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet, IL. This is a beautiful preserve with a lake, trails, a river, a museum, a golf course, boating, fishing, and camping. July 20, 2019 is the date. Hope you can join us!

The night before we will be gathering at Scotty's Brew House in Champaign, IL for fun and food. Look for the Homerdoodle Eve in Champaign event.

To lead up to these events we are having a Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Event on March 9th, 2019 to give everyone a preview of the park. We have logbook making, container preparation, safety on the trails, poisonous plant identification, and writing clues in code as topics.

We certainly hope you can join us for all of these dates - we can't wait to see everyone!
Hamilton: Just floatin' it out there.
Jan 27, 2019 6:58pm
Thread
I'm taking my daughter, formerly known as Lunagirl, and my three-year-old grandson to see The Stones in Chicago this summer and I just got the brilliant idea to see Hamilton the night before. The show has a policy of not allowing children under five, which is fair, but brings up questions of logistics, specifically, what to do about a babysitter. I'm bringing it up here because AQ has the largest concentration of people I know in the Chicago area. Atlasquest, what should I do?
Re: Hamilton: Jut floatin' it out there.
Reply to: #970717 by PapaSolo
Jan 27, 2019 7:06pm
Thread
Atlasquest, what should I do?

You are wise to ask here, for it is my sincere belief that letterboxers in general, and AQers in specific, are among the most thoughtful, giving, generous, kind, and downright helpful people in the world. For example, I myself would happily make the long trek to Chicago to help out a boxer-in-need. So fear not, I'll sacrifice my precious time and gladly take Lunagirl to Hamilton so you can stay with your grandson. Assuming they're decent seats, of course. You're welcome.
Re: Hamilton: Just floatin' it out there.
Reply to: #970718 by wassamatta u
Jan 27, 2019 7:13pm
Thread
Thank you, Wassa. I had considered that possibility, but I was afraid your... headgear... could block the view of the patrons behind you. Things could get ugly. Just sayin'.
Reply to: #970719 by PapaSolo
Jan 27, 2019 7:18pm
Thread
I was afraid your... headgear, could block the view of the patrons behind you.

I don't suppose this holds true for the Stones concert, right??? Asking for a friend.
Reply to: #970720 by wassamatta u
Jan 27, 2019 7:32pm
Thread
Nope, it doesn't. However, neither does the ban on toddlers. My grandson will be one of the few people born in 2015 who can say he's seen Paul McCartney, The Who, and The Rolling Stones live in concert, and he'll have the t-shirts to prove it. Much cooler and much cheaper than Disney World.
Reply to: #970722 by PapaSolo
Jan 27, 2019 8:53pm
Thread
I’m not sure how much of the experiences he’ll remember but still that’s very cool and he’s one lucky dude. I hope the T-shirt’s are adult size so he can get the most out of them.
Reply to: #970724 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 28, 2019 11:49am
Thread
Yep.

And still holding my hopes out for a Pink Floyd reunion.
Calling all carvers!!!
Feb 6, 2019 11:54am
Thread
We (Minnesota LBers) are looking forward to hosting the Minnesota Myths and Mysteries (GLG 2019)

In an effort to spread the love and have stamps carved by a lot of different people, we have set up Trackers for you to sign up to donate a stamp. Here you can see what we are looking for:

Fearsome Creatures from Logging Legends
Main Street images of the late 1800s
Native American and Misc Images
Religious Themed Chapel Area stamps -
Portraits galore in the Minnesota Legends Tracker

For some of the stamps, we have photographs of historic buildings and/or people.
Re: Calling all carvers!!!
Reply to: #971143 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Feb 6, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
I wanna do a couple. I'll decide and sign up soon.