A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Midwest

Re: i am BRAND new...question?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #619574 by System
Jul 8, 2011 5:00am
Thread
Hi, You are close to me. I'm sending you an AQ mail with some info.
Welcome!
roly-polies
Jul 8, 2011 7:15am
Thread
Welcome!

The hitchhiker question seems to have been answered. But I just wanted to wecome you to the hobby. I started this with my daughters, since they love both treasuring hunting/following clues, and they love stamps. Now I'm into it much more for ME. : )

Hope you have a sucessful weekend. But remember, even if you might come up short, enjoy the hunt and know that it happens to everyone now and then.
Jul 8, 2011 8:15am
Thread
Welcome to Letterboxing! Looks like you are getting some great answers, so I'm going to hijack this thread and invite you to join us at Stamp Odyssey in September! I had an injury that prevented me from letterboxing and when I came back to boxing, I realized I missed a huge event that was closeby that I would have loved to go to, so I'm letting you know about this one since you are in the midwest. If you choose to attend Stamp Odyssey, you can come for the weekend or just come up for the day. I think most of the stuff will be happening Saturday but there will still be boxing on Friday and Sunday. I hope you can join us! It will be my first big event so I'm looking forward to it!
Re: LTC tracker needs YOU!!
Reply to: #617417 by helms2049
Jul 8, 2011 11:09am
Thread
Is MO still up for grabs?
Re: LTC tracker needs YOU!!
Reply to: #619666 by Nature Quest
Jul 8, 2011 11:45am
Thread
Last I knew, the only state unaccounted for was Arkansas.....
stamp carving seminar in Evansville, Indiana
Jul 12, 2012 10:10am
Thread
For anyone in the Evansville area, Tuesday night July 17th from 6pm to 8 pm, there is a rubber stamp carving seminar at the central library..just thought I'd spread the word!
Re: stamp carving seminar in Evansville, Indiana
Reply to: #714109 by Jonasty
Jul 13, 2012 6:55am
Thread
Tell us more. Do we need to bring our own carving materials?
Re: stamp carving seminar in Evansville, Indiana
Reply to: #714109 by Jonasty
Jul 13, 2012 11:51am
Thread
Foolish in April
Apr 14, 2013 11:36pm
Thread
Just wanted to let everyone know who was not able to come to Foolish in April event hosted by Mischevious, that you missed a fantastic event! everything was very well organized and Mischevious did a fantastic job hosting!

Loverboy
Re: Foolish in April
Reply to: #769896 by Loverboy
Apr 15, 2013 5:18am
Thread
Worse than missing the fantastic event was missing the fantastic Miss C, said by one who had to miss.
Need more people in this group
Jun 11, 2013 5:42pm
Thread
I'm wondering, if I post into this group, would it grow? Sort of like, if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Re: Need more people in this group
Reply to: #782373 by Fleur
Jun 11, 2013 5:52pm
Thread
I might not join, but does it make it better if I at least respond to your message here?

Happy letterboxing, Midwest!
Reply to: #782377 by Halfway Zombies
Jun 11, 2013 6:30pm
Thread
Yes! It actually does. I find the Facebook mentality of where the most posts are seems to attract the most new people. My eventual quest is to build a group big enough that we can have yearly Boxing events in our area.... we have >1000 boxes and it would be lovely to host an event.
Reply to: #782385 by Fleur
Jun 12, 2013 10:47am
Thread
This might be a silly question, but what do you consider the Midwest? I live in Michigan, and in spite of people calling us "Midwesterners", we're in the Great Lakes group here. Who comprises the Midwest - or is it a state of mind? :)
Jun 12, 2013 11:22am
Thread
Batton down the hatches--I hear there's a storm brewin'.
Reply to: #782497 by TrailTroll
Jun 12, 2013 11:29am
Thread
Wikipedia says: "The region consists of 12 states in the north-central and north-eastern United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin" so you are in the Midwest Region.
Jun 12, 2013 11:32am
Thread
I think this board is already open to everyone, there's no joining needed. People can turn it off entirely in their board preferences, or leave it as "Normal" and see new threads as they are posted, or click Favorite and have those new threads show up in their Favorite Boards widget. I'm in Iowa, a part of the Midwest, and wonder what difference it makes whether the readership grows or not. Can you explain more?
As for events, there have been big events in the midwest for years. Sign up and go ~ it's fun!
Reply to: #782385 by Fleur
Jun 12, 2013 11:49am
Thread
If you host it, they will come!! Lots of large events held in various parts of the Midwest and many of us enjoy traveling to them whenever possible. Always looking for new adventures!
Reply to: #782497 by TrailTroll
Jun 12, 2013 7:23pm
Thread
Great question TrailTroll! I asked the same of the Southeast group and they told me it was based on the old Yahoo Groups. So I looked this up, and these are the States that belong to the "Midwest" and it seems that some Great Lakes states overlap the Midwest states. Here's the list: North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan
Reply to: #782511 by Topcollector
Jun 12, 2013 7:24pm
Thread
Hopefully that storm is calm when it gets here!
Reply to: #782517 by Maude
Jun 12, 2013 7:29pm
Thread
Yes Maude, there have been big events in the Midwest. One such was the 2009 Lb Conference that MO UR4Me put on with I Dig Toasters. That was a huge event I think. At least I hear tails about it at each of the Missouri events we put on.

I'm not so much worried about whether or not people can or cannot join this group. If you look at the numbers, this group has <120 signups, yet the individual states in the area have much more. I know there are several times that Illinois boxers come to the Missouri events, and know each other. would be nice if others within the "Midwest" started posting in this group so we can garner more social boxing in the area. That's all I was thinking about when I posted the original post.

To dovetail into the original FB thought, when I posted this two days ago, there were only 109 members of this group. Just today... there are 111. Great responses!! Thank you.
Reply to: #782524 by Mama Stork
Jun 12, 2013 7:32pm
Thread
Thank you Mama Stork! I Dig Toasters has put on some great local events where members from other states have traveled to our area. MO UR4Me is a pro at putting on these huge events, and should be commended for her wonderful efforts. I'm wanting to do something similar, but hoping to find others in the area that are willing to switch the responsibility around like they do in the Southeast Region group. To do that, gotta build membership in this group. So hopefully, these posts will garner more interest!

Thank you again. Are you attending this weekend's Great Lakes event at Indiana Dunes? If so, please let me know. Would love to meet you.
Who's going to GLG 2013 Event this Weekend?
Jun 12, 2013 7:34pm
Thread
I'm going to be there, and several Missouri and Illinois boxers I know will also be there. How about you?

Do we get the pleasure of meeting you as well?
Reply to: #782377 by Halfway Zombies
Jun 12, 2013 7:35pm
Thread
Thank you Halfway Zombies for commenting. Very, very appreciated! Even if you don't plan to join us. :)
Reply to: #782594 by Fleur
Jun 12, 2013 7:59pm
Thread
I will be there; hope to meet you on the trails!
Re: Who's going to GLG 2013 Event this Weekend?
Reply to: #782595 by Fleur
Jun 12, 2013 9:02pm
Thread
We will be there, representing Illinois!
Reply to: #782594 by Fleur
Jun 13, 2013 4:26am
Thread
This "Great Midwesterner" (I decided that's what to call those of us that fall into both categories) will be there and I'll keep an eye out for you!

TT
Reply to: #782591 by Fleur
Jun 13, 2013 5:59pm
Thread
I'm still confused, and sorry to have to admit it. I see your point about more people reading the board. If more people read it, perhaps there would be more state-to-state event attendance. That would be nice.

If you look at the numbers, this group has <120 signups

Where do you see this stat? I see that there are http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gGroupId=44 120 messages on the board, but don't see where the number of people marking it as a favorite is found. Of course, it could just be me failing to "get it" (again *sigh*).

Upcoming Midwest events I can find ~
Meet da Mini Sodans, Ya Sure You Betcha! and Great Lakes Gathering 2013: The Wonders of the World; A Celebration of Mankind in Indiana
Gum Chewin', Wad Stickin' Inky Fingers Night Before Mini-Event and Fairies on the Prairie in Ohio
Fifth Not-So-Annual Boxin' in Brimley Mini-Meet in Michigan
50th Anniversary of Doctor Who in Ohio
I ♥ The 80's in Michigan
SOHT Campathon and SOHT 2013 in Ohio
and, next spring, Great American Memorial Day Event in Iowa
... and all in the Midwest. That's all I can find, but it's more than I can attend in a year. I think the midwest is doing fine.
Reply to: #782591 by Fleur
Jun 13, 2013 7:33pm
Thread
If you look at the numbers, this group has <120 signups, yet the individual states in the area have much more.

Huh? This group? It has 26,796 sign ups :) The regions and the state boards are all boards in the United States Letterboxing group. You can see how many people are in the group, but you can't see how many people have favorited each of the boards. I think you're looking at the number of posts.
Added a PT
Jun 14, 2013 6:30pm
Thread
I know some people have probably already printed their checklists for GLG tomorrow, so I thought I'd let you know that I added a new personal traveler. And since it benefits a good cause, I wanted to make sure the word got out. Thank you in advance. :)

TG