A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers

Re: Host gifts
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 18, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Me too. It is gift enough to recieve easy envelopes!

I've been missing quisps under labels. This past week I carved over 20 new quisp stamps. Get ready!!
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 18, 2019 12:01pm
Thread
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

I used to do artists card swaps, and the hosts almost always noted in their swap rules that gifts were appreciated (although optional).

So when I first started doing LTCs, I sent hostess gifts a few times but got comments like “What is this?” and “Why did you send me this?”, so I felt like I had done something inappropriate (I will admit that I did not send cards, I sent paper samples, some plastic sleeves, and small craft items because I rarely make extra LTCs — I have a hard enough time making 9 or 12 cards).

This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts — I am surprised and embarrassed that I have not been including gifts when I join a swap :-(

So I would like to suggest that when listing a tracker, hosts state that gifts are appreciated — how else are newbies supposed to know these things??
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 1:04pm
Thread
Dont be embarrassed. Gifts are NOT expected. If they were then they wouldn't be gifts or little surprises.

Out of a 12-18 participant swap, on average, I will have 0-2 participants send an extra ltc. It is by no means a norm.

I guess if hosts start posting the fact that they need a gift then chances are I'm not going to join that swap. All I expect from my participants is that they get the cards to me on time and make their return envelopes according to the rule.
Feb 18, 2019 1:17pm
Thread
I haven't hosted in quite some time. I remember when I started hosting that close to half of participants would send an extra LTC or so. It was fun to get surprises.

I had heard from a couple people that are still hosting that they weren't getting any extras. I thought that was sad. When I used to host, I would also send extras out when returning the envelopes too. When I didn't have any extra cards for people, I assumed that was okay too.
LTC Newbie
Feb 18, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work. I have been checking out the help and message boards, and I feel like I'm not totally getting it as a process. Is there anywhere y'all would suggest that I look to research some more on how LTCs work and how to make them/host them?
It's important to note that while I have been LBing for awhile now, it's only been in the last 6 months that I have looked into different kinds of LBs other than traditional boxes. I also don't totally understand technology, so I find pages on here with info and think I understand; then when I go back to try and reprocess something, I can't find it (totally user error). For instance, I once found a page for newbie LTCs, but now don't know how I found it or where it is (I find rabbit holes often and don't mark my trail!). Any advice would be welcomed- Thanks so much in advance!

Astrophel
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971733 by Astrophel
Feb 18, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work.

Linden Leaf is the person to contact - she has a ton of information as well as sample cards, for anyone getting started in the LTC world. Welcome!!
Need some advice on using stencils
Feb 18, 2019 2:01pm
Thread
I've never had much luck using stencils to create a background design for a card. If you have, what ink did you use and how did you apply it?
Re: Need some advice on using stencils
Reply to: #971735 by Angel and Demon
Feb 18, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
I use distress ink and a round applicator. Apply in a circular motion.
Feb 18, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
Oh! Oh! Oh!! Yes! I'm off to message you!! We have compiled lots of info and links for you to look through!! I'll send it on to you :-)
Feb 18, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
Welcome! Don't worry, Linden Leaf is the one that helped me a few months ago to get started. If you look at tool bar at the top of AQ, you can pick the "Boards" tab. Then pick "Browse Boards". There is a special board just for Letterbox Trading cards. That might be a good place to start & to post questions.
I also will AQ message you. Welcome & excited to see you join us.

Mama Dee
Reply to: #971738 by Mama Dee
Feb 18, 2019 4:14pm
Thread
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 10:27pm
Thread
This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts...

The OP never suggested that hosts expect gifts. I certainly never do. Only that it’s a nice gesture to show the host you appreciate their efforts in hosting.

We have hosted trackers where we only received the cards required and it never once dawned on me that no one sent gifts.

It’s a small courtesy, nothing more. I certainly would never do anything as gauche as suggesting I expected anything more than is normally sent in a themed tracker exchange in the description.

Just my two cents worth.
Summer swaps?
Feb 19, 2019 7:36am
Thread
At this point are people looking for swaps for the summer? Or have you filled up your schedule already?

This winter I've been carving images that are on my list of wants to carve. There are no swaps for many of them. One of the images is a hot air balloon...I've been wanting to host a hot air balloon tracker. But if your summer schedule is full I will hold off till the end of summer then post it for a fall date.

So many tracker ideas...so little time. ;-)
Reply to: #971756 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 19, 2019 9:58am
Thread
I agree. I don't expect anything and I do appreciate and am tickled by little gifts of appreciation. If I recall correctly, LTC quisps were intended to encourage reusable mailers. What a treat to peel off the mailing label to find a little treasure underneath. Quisps are great for using up small pieces of carving material too. So bring on the quisps!
Re: Summer swaps?
Reply to: #971772 by Linden Leaf
Feb 19, 2019 9:59am
Thread
Bring them on!

(Darn it! I just gave away my four layer stamp for the house in the movie UP.)
Feb 19, 2019 10:19am
Thread
I use distressed oxide ink with a round blender. I usually do a circlular motion or sometimes just a heavy up and down motion. One thing I also do is tape the stencil down on one side so it doesn't move while I am stenciling. When finished.. I just flip the stencil up.. Slide in new card... Flip stencil down and then stencil away.
Feb 19, 2019 10:22am
Thread
I found when I first started that seeing some of them helped me in figuring out how to make them. I learn more thru visuals. Linden leaf has ltcs to share with you.
Re: Summer swaps?
Reply to: #971772 by Linden Leaf
Feb 19, 2019 12:36pm
Thread
I am down! That would be a fun tracker!!
Feb 19, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
Greenmountainhiker needs to join this conversation!
Reply to: #971700 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 19, 2019 4:33pm
Thread
what size are quisps? I looked in the glossary and it didn't state.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 4:37pm
Thread
I think they are smaller than a standard LTC and they can be whatever shape you want. That's what makes them super special :-)
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 19, 2019 6:30pm
Thread
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 6:44pm
Thread
Most of the ones I've seen are less than an inch square. Sometimes really tiny, but usually just smaller than trading card size.
Reply to: #971809 by Procyon
Feb 19, 2019 6:52pm
Thread
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.

Were these re-usable (taped) envelopes where the host removes her address and your's is underneath? If not, they may not have realized there could be a fun surprise underneath. Also, even if the quisp is very small, write the AQ # on the back of it, to help the person find it and log it.
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 19, 2019 7:11pm
Thread
Answering for myself, yes under the reusable label. It’s quite a surprise to rip off the label and have presents fall out!!! Good times. 😄
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 20, 2019 6:35am
Thread
I did my first inchie/quisps, but they weren't under the label. It was a bonus surprise for my players. :)

I was going to make another one for a different tracker, but I think my cat got ahold of the stamp. It is missing...
Feb 20, 2019 7:52am
Thread
Back when I used bubble mailers I'd always include an extra card or something. The basic postage covered an extra ounce that was being wasted anyway and thickness didn't matter. Now that a bubble mailer costs $4 MORE than a flat mailer, I've switched over and I'm limited by weight and thickness/bumpy. I try to remember to add an extra few cards when I can.
More swaps (because it's snowing)
Feb 20, 2019 12:22pm
I know there are a lot of trackers going on right now, but we're home on a snow day today so I had some time to post some ideas I've been thinking about. I hope you'll consider these. Thanks!

Another 5-for-5

Ohh, Shiny!
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 20, 2019 6:28pm
Thread
They were the re-usable kind and I did have the AQ number on the back. Which is why it was confusing as to why they were not acknowledged nor recorded.
Cheers for Beers!
Feb 21, 2019 6:46am
April 7 is National Beer Day - Making this the third year of celebrating Plant A Beer Day and last year I made a ltc with my brewery stamp and then never did anything with it so I thought this year I'd host a ltc tracker, Cheers for Beers!

Please consider not only partaking in Plant A Beer Day but also making a ltc with your carve for Cheers for Beers.