A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers

Re: Sad...
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971429 by The Vs
Feb 13, 2019 8:06pm
Thread
Well if that's what you think(which is totally not a true interpretation)...then I will tell you that I like kindergarten artwork and would love to see it in my queens swap.
Feb 14, 2019 6:21am
Thread
I know I'm late to this party but I just wanted to say that often times I feel the same as you. I join LTC trackers because I enjoy the time I spend on them even when they look like juvenile art compared to others. I've learned not to compare myself to the LTC masters and just do what brings me joy.
Reply to: #971417 by Linden Leaf
Feb 14, 2019 8:19am
Thread
OK, I will join, and will try something new (to me). Will this be a wonderful card? Oh, dear ~ no promises!
Feb 14, 2019 10:50am
Thread
Don't tempt me like this! You know I always enjoy your trackers! Your cards are always wonderful!

::Must stay strong..::
::Already working on cards for another tracker::
::Must stay strong::
::But this tracker is due before the other one::
::Must stay strong..::
Reply to: #971446 by Only Dreaming
Feb 14, 2019 10:56am
Thread
No. You are weak. You have no self control.
Feb 15, 2019 5:42am
Thread
Mrs V - Are you kidding me? I always look forward to your cards and I am always excited to be in a swap wth you! LOOK, LOOK!!!
Feb 16, 2019 11:47am
Thread
Jiffy, thank you for taking the last spot! I was on the fence about doing it. But I wasn't sure if I could fit it in time.
Host gifts
Feb 17, 2019 4:38pm
Thread
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch.
Re: Host gifts
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 17, 2019 7:10pm
Thread
I look at it as a two-way thing. The host tends to host a theme that she/he likes. And the participants join because they either like the theme or they like the hosts and would like to support that host by filling the tracker. If it wasn't for the participants there would be no host. And likewise if there was no host there would be no participants. It's kind of like what came first, the chicken or egg?

So...a participant gift is always a nice touch... ;-)
Feb 17, 2019 8:22pm
Thread
a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

Just to clarify for anyone new-ish to LTC trackers, hostess gifts do NOT include wine, homemade cakes or pastries, vases of flowers, or the like :-) Participants sometimes include 1 or 2 LTC’s, quisps, etc. from their own stash of extras, or maybe a few extra postage stamps for the host to use on future trackers. It’s a nice gesture used to thank the host, but is always optional.
In reverse, some hosts will include an extra LTC of their own, in the participants’ envelopes when they return the tracker cards. Again, it’s optional, a nice gesture to thank the participants in your tracker.
When I first started making cards, I didn’t have a “stash” to use for gifts, so I would send a few extra postage stamps and a “thank you for hosting” note. When I have hosted, I’ve made two cards in the theme, one for my tracker card, and a second as a bonus for my participants.
Feb 17, 2019 11:21pm
Thread
An example please, of what would be an appropriate gift?
Reply to: #971678 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 18, 2019 6:43am
Thread
Just to clarify for anyone new-ish to LTC trackers, hostess gifts do NOT include wine, homemade cakes or pastries, vases of flowers, or the like

I won't turn those away though. ;)
Reply to: #971682 by InkTap
Feb 18, 2019 6:56am
Thread

More LTCs or a quisp.
Reply to: #971678 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 18, 2019 6:57am
Thread
When I first started making cards, I didn’t have a “stash” to use for gifts, so I would send a few extra postage stamps and a “thank you for hosting” note.

I always send one or more extra LTCs/quisps to the host as a thank you for hosting. However, there's one frequent host who is in pretty much every swap I'm in, so I rarely have any extra cards to send her. So she gets postage. :^)
Reply to: #971682 by InkTap
Feb 18, 2019 6:57am
Thread

Speaking for myself, I’d say small denominations... nothing larger than, say, 20s.

😎😉

Kidding aside, we always appreciate quisps or past cards, inchies ot twinchies. Not obligatory of course but a nice bonus if it happens.
Reply to: #971673 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 7:24am
Thread
I was just thinking about this and how the last couple of swaps I did with you, I sent an extra card or two, but you did not log the extras. Do you add the extras to your gifts for newbie stash? Are you not interested in logging cards that aren’t in swaps for some reason? Do you not want extras??
Reply to: #971705 by hartwolfzell
Feb 18, 2019 8:03am
Thread
Which cards? Normally I log the cards that are Hostess gifts after the swap is sorted. And I guess there are times that I don't log the cards at all? I went looking at the cards that I have in my book that are yours that I might not have logged. There's the 3D one that was given to me last year I think? And then the cat Newk card is for a swap that has yet to be sorted. Are there more? Sigh...Because I tried to keep up on logging cards and I'm sorry to have missed more!!

But to answer your questions: I love extras. I try to log cards that have been given to me. I think leaving comments on cards is important. I don't normally add gifted cards or any cards that are given/swapped to me to the Newbie stash unless for some odd reason they aren't a subject matter that enjoy. If I add cards to the Newbie stash it's normally because I have an extra one.
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:26am
Thread
OK, thanks! I guess it was just those two cards. I haven't done many swaps lately. I super appreciate that you leave such thoughtful comments for each card! I love getting extras when I host. Hopefully I can host another swap again soon. Thanks!!
Reply to: #971699 by photopam
Feb 18, 2019 8:36am
Thread
and gift cards are flat and light weight...just sayin. ;)
Reply to: #971702 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 18, 2019 8:39am
Thread
I'd be super happy with dog-eared corners and the trail name on the envelope and cards. I am a little sad when I pull off the mailing label and there is no surprise underneath.
:^(
sniffle, sniffle
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:41am
Thread
I don't log cards in a timely fashion but when I do, I make a genuine comment about each card 95% of time.
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 18, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Me too. It is gift enough to recieve easy envelopes!

I've been missing quisps under labels. This past week I carved over 20 new quisp stamps. Get ready!!
Feb 18, 2019 12:01pm
Thread
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

I used to do artists card swaps, and the hosts almost always noted in their swap rules that gifts were appreciated (although optional).

So when I first started doing LTCs, I sent hostess gifts a few times but got comments like “What is this?” and “Why did you send me this?”, so I felt like I had done something inappropriate (I will admit that I did not send cards, I sent paper samples, some plastic sleeves, and small craft items because I rarely make extra LTCs — I have a hard enough time making 9 or 12 cards).

This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts — I am surprised and embarrassed that I have not been including gifts when I join a swap :-(

So I would like to suggest that when listing a tracker, hosts state that gifts are appreciated — how else are newbies supposed to know these things??
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 1:04pm
Thread
Dont be embarrassed. Gifts are NOT expected. If they were then they wouldn't be gifts or little surprises.

Out of a 12-18 participant swap, on average, I will have 0-2 participants send an extra ltc. It is by no means a norm.

I guess if hosts start posting the fact that they need a gift then chances are I'm not going to join that swap. All I expect from my participants is that they get the cards to me on time and make their return envelopes according to the rule.
Feb 18, 2019 1:17pm
Thread
I haven't hosted in quite some time. I remember when I started hosting that close to half of participants would send an extra LTC or so. It was fun to get surprises.

I had heard from a couple people that are still hosting that they weren't getting any extras. I thought that was sad. When I used to host, I would also send extras out when returning the envelopes too. When I didn't have any extra cards for people, I assumed that was okay too.
LTC Newbie
Feb 18, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work. I have been checking out the help and message boards, and I feel like I'm not totally getting it as a process. Is there anywhere y'all would suggest that I look to research some more on how LTCs work and how to make them/host them?
It's important to note that while I have been LBing for awhile now, it's only been in the last 6 months that I have looked into different kinds of LBs other than traditional boxes. I also don't totally understand technology, so I find pages on here with info and think I understand; then when I go back to try and reprocess something, I can't find it (totally user error). For instance, I once found a page for newbie LTCs, but now don't know how I found it or where it is (I find rabbit holes often and don't mark my trail!). Any advice would be welcomed- Thanks so much in advance!

Astrophel
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971733 by Astrophel
Feb 18, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work.

Linden Leaf is the person to contact - she has a ton of information as well as sample cards, for anyone getting started in the LTC world. Welcome!!
Need some advice on using stencils
Feb 18, 2019 2:01pm
Thread
I've never had much luck using stencils to create a background design for a card. If you have, what ink did you use and how did you apply it?
Re: Need some advice on using stencils
Reply to: #971735 by Angel and Demon
Feb 18, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
I use distress ink and a round applicator. Apply in a circular motion.
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971733 by Astrophel
Feb 18, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
Oh! Oh! Oh!! Yes! I'm off to message you!! We have compiled lots of info and links for you to look through!! I'll send it on to you :-)