A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers

Re: Worth a picture
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #196609 by The Toadfrogs
Mar 12, 2008 8:57am
Thread
{{When I worked retail, I couldn't tell you how many times I had people "like you" come in just before closing and do that kind of thing FOR REAL! Yeah, let's count $37 in dimes, this is fun!}}

This was my life too --- at the party store, 10 minutes to midnight and here's some flake buying a 12 pack with a jar of change...

Ahhh the pleasures of working with the public.

Mrs. Doglvrs
Re: LTC Holder
Reply to: #197217 by Kizmet
Mar 12, 2008 9:48am
Thread
Thank you so much for the link. I have been looking for the instructions for this logbook!
Camp Fire Lady

Glad you finally found it! I love it because it's soooooo fast and easy. Besides that it looks amazing with tags and recipies and stuff sticking out of the pockets. I just love it!

Tee
Re: LTC Holder
Reply to: #197239 by Pasta Mom
Mar 12, 2008 9:53am
Thread
Would be great for a mini-travel diary, too, so that you can keep ticket stubs and small trinkets.

ahhhhhhh I like that idea! I can just see it. Little maps and pics from travel brochures of places you went. The kids can add stuff to it in the car too. Stick some cards in there for them to journal on and you can attach them later. OH what a good idea!

You can attach a mini pen to it and let the kids carry it around in their packs for Disney trips and stuff too. They can get the character's autographs and save photos and other fun stuff in there all together. Pins can go right through the pages and be saved right with the character signature.
Lots of questions...
Mar 12, 2008 3:28pm
Thread
I sent out my first ever LTC's this week...let me tell you I just agonized over those cards. I know they are sub-par, but I've only ever seen one other LTC and I have no idea what is preferred, acceptable, terrible, or what. I noticed there is a listing for LTCs that use Shrinky Dinks...are they allowed/preferred on any LTCs or only for specific exchanges? What about glitter, sequins, bling stuff? I am doing The Most Famous Person I've Ever Met...mine is...ohmygosh...Porter Wagner and he had on purple with sequins and BLING up the wazoo! Purple clothes, purple boots and a white hat...is it ok for me to just do those incredible boots? I think I could really love doing LTC's but I'm really uptight about it now...Help, please!
Re: Lots of questions...
Reply to: #197475 by Mah Jongg Queen
Mar 12, 2008 3:31pm
Thread
I sent out my first ever LTC's this week...let me tell you I just agonized over those cards.

Ooooo... I want one of these! Why aren't they listed! :D

As long as it has a handcarved stamp and is the proper size you can add as little or as much as you like!
Reply to: #197475 by Mah Jongg Queen
Mar 12, 2008 3:39pm
Thread
Wouldn't
Quote BLING up the wazoo!
be more of an adult-themed card?

Sorry, couldn't resist. snort ™

Seriously, as WF said, unless a specific exchange is set up to have beyond-the-usual requirements of 2.5" x 3.5" and one hand-carved stamp, you're only limited by your imagination!

pre
Reply to: #197480 by The Wolf Family
Mar 12, 2008 3:41pm
Thread
More questions...should the stamp be the primary object or can it be a lesser element? Should all the cards be the same main theme...all boots, but little differences...or can they be some boots, some hats, some guitars? I have to take my M-in-L to church now, but I'll hurry home asap and I'll really pray fast tonight and sing fast...got to get those people revved up so I can get back to AQ.
Reply to: #197486 by Mah Jongg Queen
Mar 12, 2008 4:03pm
Thread
My answer is you can put as much "stuff" on the cards as you want. Shrinkydinks, bling, glitter (which can be messy, but still okay), paint, brads, eyelets, layers of paper, fibers, ribbons, etc. To me, the embellishments are what make the cards. I'd rather not just see a single piece of card stock with the image stamped on it. Even if it's a great carving. To me, I like the heritage of the ATC side of LTC's, so the more artistry the better as far as I'm concerned.

Just be careful about how thick the cards are. Most people store them in those baseball sleeves, so you have to keep them overall thin enough to account for that. I've had an embellishment on my cards up to 1/4 inch or more thick and they still fit in the sleeves, but if the entire card was that thick, there's no way they would.

As far as your stamp questions. The stamp doesn't have to be the primary object, there just has to be one hand carved image. But, if the focus is something else, that's up to you.

For me, I'd do all the cards as close as possible to have them numbered as a set. But, you could do a series and have the boots, hats and guitars be seperate cards within that series. You can name them "Dude's name I forgot: Guitars", "Dude's name I forgot: Hats" and "Dude's Name I forgot: Boots". When you list the LTC, one of the options is "# of cards in the series. Change that to 3, then list each card name in there seperately. So, when people go to log them they just look up "Dude's Nme I Forgot" and all three cards will be listed together. You know what I mean?

Have fun! And contact me about trading! I'd love to see your card(s).

Bali
Reply to: #197496 by BaliWho
Mar 12, 2008 4:39pm
Thread
BNLBaliGrl prefers to have lots of embellishments. To me, the carve and how it is presented makes the card. I prefer less with the focus on the carved image. I like cards that only have the image, perhaps in colors, perhaps embossed, etc. Different people like different things. And, that is a big part of what makes it fun.

I am in the process of learning too. I angst over each card far more than I should. But...

Although I LOVE clutter (not in my house though, but in my art), chaos, and color, some of the simplest ones I have seen are some of the most incredible pieces of art. So, I agree with Bali, the focus is up to you and "Have fun!"

Oh, and I would love to trade for your first! :D

BSuzy
Reply to: #197529 by Butterfly Suzy
Mar 12, 2008 4:47pm
Thread
I'm still very new to letterboxing and making LTCs, but I'd just like to add that the variety in all the cards I've recieved so far is what makes them so very special to me. I have some very simple ones (just card stock & a stamped image) that are WONDERFUL! I have some that are very "busy" and I love those too. I, too, worried when I made my 1st cards whether or not they were done "right," but now I just let myself have fun and follow my instincts. After you "find" afew more LTCs and see the rich variety, you will gain some confidence.
Stephanie--who is feeling sorry for herself that she doesn't have time to sit and play with her LTC stuff right now. =(
Reply to: #197532 by Foreign Contaminant
Mar 12, 2008 4:51pm
Thread
Do you all find the "basic and simple" aspect disappointing?

I wouldn't say it's disappointing! It's just different preference. I don't tire of stamp images (I am a letterboxer after all), but I'd really like to learn different art styles so I do get excited over seeing some new style.

After 4 years I've seen a lot of unbelieveable stamps and picked up a lot of carving techniques off these great carvers. BUT I'm newbie when it comes to artistic techniques so someone like Bali who shows me what alcohol inks, embossing, different papers, and other stuff can do is really what knocks my socks off now (and what I'm interested in learning).

BUT a really well done stamp is still wonderful (I wouldn't be a letterboxer if that was not the case!!).
Reply to: #197540 by The Wolf Family
Mar 12, 2008 5:01pm
Thread
We agree with Stephanie... Balladone Bunch.
ALL the cards we have received are wonderful. We have received some LTCs that little ones have made.... they're great !!!! We love the kids cards !!
All LTCs have been much appreciated. Some are basic like ours..... and some are embellished and fancy shmancy. They're absolutely beautiful.
It's all someone's art that they have shared with us. We love it.

We are learning new stuff as we go along, and our LTCs like our letterbox stamps, are improving.

SIMPLE is good.....
ELABORATE is good.....

in short.... IT'S ALLLLLLLLLLLLL GOOD !!!!!! KEEP THE LTC'S COMING !!!!!

Dina B.
Charlie
THE SEEKERS 1108
Reply to: #197546 by theseekers1108
Mar 12, 2008 5:11pm
Thread
While still relatively new to LTCs, here's how I look it:

LTCs come from/are an extention of ATCs which in my understanding of them are to push oneself artistically. The small space allows for not expending a lot of money to do exactly that - push oneself to play with new ideas and techniques.

So for me personally, overall, an LTC is a whole package of artistic expression not "just a stamp" whenever possible.

Having said that, have I seen and also made my own LTCs which are "just a stamp" oriented? You bet. Can that be OK? Absolutely! Perhaps a certain card calls for it, one runs out of time and wants to make the deadline, or a particular person doing a more-involved stamp IS pushing oneself! (that last is definitely true for me..)

So, if I had to put it in a nutshell ..it's about the overall combination and reeeeeaaaaaching, whatever that might mean for the person making the card...and learning from, being inspired and delighted by the work of others.

I sure hope that makes sense. I "reach" sometimes for humor, falling flat quite often here on AQ

snort ™
This is NOT one of those attempts!
:-)

pre
plastic sleeve help
Mar 12, 2008 5:39pm
Thread
ok, last night i went to walmart looking for the baseball card holders. i found the sheets of them, however, the only thing i could find for the single sleeves was something called toploader, they seemed like they were hard and there were only 25 in a packet for about $3.00. i remember some of you saying they came in a 100 pack for just a couple dollars. what are they called. thanks. condo
New Question: Kids logging finds...
Mar 12, 2008 5:39pm
Thread
Ok...so far I've noticed that most people appear to list their kids' LTCs in their own log book and then I'd assume, they also list their kids' finds in their own log book as well. Obviously, I know this won't be true for everyone, but it seems to be the "norm." I have four kids who all make LTCs and letterbox. They each have thier own account and trail name. The older two spend time working on their profiles and listing their finds. The younger kids haven't shown much interest in the computer end of things yet, but at least their trail names are reserved.
Since I'm a detail/accounting type person, I've chosen to have my kids' LTCs listed on their own account to keep them separate from mine. This helps me keep a realistic picture of my own accomplishments.
So...you must be asking yourself, "What is her question?" LOL
Do I have to log my kids' finds on their accounts? Does it bother people to not have their LTCs "found"?
I try to keep up with listing all the cards that I have traded for, and except for the most recent ones, I'm all caught up. My kids on the other hand have piles of cards that they have yet to log. I've been meaning to sit down with each of my kids and help them log their finds and add their own special comments about what they liked about each card. They really do love all thier cards and they love to look at them. They're quite protective of them actually. They all know what card belongs to who. It's cute! There's no way I can sneak a card I like from them. LOL
Anyhow, please be honest. I still do plan to log all the finds eventually, but I'd hate for it to be bothering someone that we haven't done it yet. Just let me know.
Stephanie
Re: plastic sleeve help
Reply to: #197567 by condo
Mar 12, 2008 5:43pm
Thread
Some comic book stores carry them. ToysRUs carries a pack of 200. I think thiose were $3.00.
Reply to: #197570 by Suziecurls
Mar 12, 2008 5:43pm
Thread
I just told the people I was looking for the plastic covers for baseball cards.
Mar 12, 2008 5:57pm
Thread
We get them in the DOLLAR TREE store. Not all DOLLAR TREEs carry them, but one nearby us does. We get some every time we go there.
Pk of 100 for 1$. Can't beat it.
They're called
Ultra Pro Sleeve/Series
2 5/8 X 3 5/8

They have a website, but you can't order from it... it just tells you what stores in your area carry their stuff

http://www.ultrapro.com
Re: New Question: Kids logging finds...
Reply to: #197568 by Balladone Bunch
Mar 12, 2008 6:00pm
Thread
Well, our kids aren't old enough to have an account on AQ yet so we have been logging their finds with our finds. However, on my LTC *wish list* (Green Tortuga :) ) I'd love for us to be able to log each family member's finds under our trail name using their aliases at some point... we have had up to three of our kids "find" the same LTC but we can only find it once under our trial name. I hope that option is possible :) .

It doesn't bother us if our LTCs aren't found but we appreciate knowing so we don't wonder if it was received or got lost. We like logging our finds because the artist spent time making it and we just like letting the person know what we like about the card(s). Alsom, we don't want to keep them wondering if we received it or not.

7tw2
Mar 12, 2008 6:01pm
Thread
If i were you, i would. some people might get mixed up and think they've traded with 2 people instead of one. Now, i'm a teenager, and i'm new to LTCing, and a little on the wacko side, (if you looked at all the ltcs i have to make, u'd know. but it's not as bad as some people. =)) but thats my 2 cents on the subject. =)

*IML*
Re: Return Postage Question
Reply to: #197586 by Foreign Contaminant
Mar 12, 2008 6:10pm
Thread
I only speak for myself..... and we've not yet completed our first swap that we hosted.....
but....
If I'm sending you cards for a swap.... and I want to be sure you dont' have to go to any expense on my behalf.... I'd send an extra stamp....
I would NOT expect change back....... I would expect you to put that extra little bit on something else you were sending out.

By the same token, if I end up putting an extra stamp on someone's cards to send... I wouldn't expect payment.

When stamps reach 1$, we may have reason to be concerned.... but a few cents here and there, aren't worth the bother to keep track of.
Mar 12, 2008 6:13pm
Thread
Do I have to log my kids' finds on their accounts? Does it bother people to not have their LTCs "found"?

No.

That's too much for me. I have a family account and that's it. Everything is logged there but I will put in the clue who carved it.

If anything, I'd worry about people requesting LTC's under the kids' account and they don't respond, or they give out their address without permission for an LTC or they forget they agreed to trade. Too much for me to keep up with.

Now next year, when my oldest turns 13, if he wants an account and will keep up with it, we'll do it.
Reply to: #197586 by Foreign Contaminant
Mar 12, 2008 6:23pm
Thread
i usually try and put extra in when sending out my cards for a trade. If they are sent back , fine, if they are needed, use them for someone who might have misjudged and did not have quite enough. Sometimes I get postage back , sometimes I don't.

Though having some people sending postage paid and addresses envelopes to me... some take around 1$ to mail to me but their envy which is addressed and stamped will have 2 1$ stamps. Now I think is a bit of overkill , but I guess is better to have a bit too much than not enough. In thier mind anyway. I do not mind sorting postage or postage paid, so either way is fine with me. If I CAN return postage I will unless I am told diffrently.
Though I suppose you could if you could keep up, make "change" like using the two 1$ stamps on seperate packages and then using the smaller stamps and returning the postage.
Meaning you could have extra stamps handy, return what you can as close as you can and keep the 1$ stamp and use elswhere. Does this make any sense... maybe just too confusing...
cannonball
Lots of Questions
Mar 12, 2008 6:35pm
I'm back and want to thank all of you who answered my questions, expressed your preferences and opinions, and are so encouraging! I'm much more comfortable now about the LTC's I did this week and also the ones I'll be working on asap. Thank you thank you thankyou! MJQ Donna
Reply to: #197602 by Foreign Contaminant
Mar 12, 2008 7:01pm
Thread
This thread got me thinking...
I don't have an issue with getting my postage "change", but I do not like the idea that two $1.00 stamps are put on a package when less is needed, just to be safe. I really would hate for the kind ring leader to be overburdened with a ridiculously completed postage system, but isn't there a way to do this so that un-needed postage could not be wasted? Whether the spare postage was returned to the original owner or the leader keeps or uses it for potential unexpected postage expenses, it wouldn't matter to me. Pennies do add up, and it is something I have to consider each time I join a swap as my budget is limited.
Might I suggest that participants send a postage paid/addressed envelope to the leader with the postage on the envelope being equal to the amount that it cost for their original package to be sent with an extra stamp on the side to be used if needed? Individuals could then specify if they want that stamp back or not.
Just my 2 cents. LOL
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2008 7:02pm
Thread
Quote however, the only thing i could find for the single sleeves was something called toploader, they seemed like they were hard and there were only 25 in a packet for about $3.00.

My store carries these as well - while technically, they are card sleeves, they will become cost prohibitive very quickly. Keep looking til you can find the ones that are the thin plastic and are MUCH cheaper. My store sells 100 for $1, and I've heard of other prices in the $1.50 range. Ultra Pro is the most commonly found company, but I don't know that they are the only one. HOpefully the website will direct you to a local store! Even if a store doesn't carry that exact product, but they carry other Ultra Pro stuff, see if they can order them. The comics store where I shop has done that for me.

If worst comes to worst, email me and I'll ship some to you - I've done it for others, and know what the shipping cost will run ;-))

Mama Fox
Reply to: #197622 by Balladone Bunch
Mar 12, 2008 7:13pm
Thread
The postage paid envelopes seem to me to be a bummer. I go to the P.o and wait in line and want to be done. I'd rather not stuff envelopes and count stamps there. I wish we could have a "standard" LTC Swap protocol. Use a bubble mailer and include 4 stamps. Period. The extra gets kept and the shortages are covered. Seems fair to me and everyone is doing the same thing. Just my thoughts on the matter. I'm hosting my first swap and there are several different envelopes, different postage, pre-paid and not. I would prefer to keep the stamps and have the PO weigh and stamp them all. Milagro
Reply to: #197589 by theseekers1108
Mar 12, 2008 7:14pm
Thread
Quote If I'm sending you cards for a swap.... and I want to be sure you don't have to go to any expense on my behalf.... I'd send an extra stamp.... I would NOT expect change back.......

Ditto!

And don't forget, there's a USPS rate increase coming up in May.

Better safe than sorry! In postage land, we're talking minor expense, eh? Certainly compared to gasoline these days.

$.02. Keep the change.

pre
Reply to: #197634 by Milagro
Mar 12, 2008 7:20pm
Thread
Use a bubble mailer and include 4 stamps. Period. The extra gets kept and the shortages are covered. Seems fair to me and everyone is doing the same thing. Just my thoughts on the matter. I'm hosting my first swap and there are several different envelopes, different postage, pre-paid and not. I would prefer to keep the stamps and have the PO weigh and stamp them all. Milagro

Fair enough. I'd say if you are the ring leader, you get to determine how you want to do it and what you say goes. period.
Reply to: #197637 by Foreign Contaminant
Mar 12, 2008 7:23pm
Thread
Quote I've been going with what I thought most people were doing, which is sending 5- 41 cent postage stamps. A while back, people were saying that they have not had a package go over $2 yet so that basically covers everything.

That's what I've been doing. I don't expect the ring leaders to stand in line to have my package weighed. I figured if they had their own postage scale and wanted to check it at home, that's ok...... otherwise just put all five stamps on it and mail it back to me - no standing in line required!! "My" post office has the worst lines in the city - it's always a long wait, and I certainly wouldn't want someone waiting it in just for the sake of one stamp!!

Mama Fox