A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Faculty Room

Re: Are you Teacher Material?
Board: Faculty Room
Reply to: #220990 by Casa del Sol
May 1, 2008 1:48pm
Thread
A restaurant in San Jose called Aqui, makes awesome sangria swirled margaritas. I prefer the pint size over the small size.
Reply to: #220792 by Casa del Sol
May 1, 2008 1:51pm
Thread
Okay, how about a kid openly slapped another kid in the hallway, which I witnessed, gave him detention, and his father is MAD that his kid has detention . . . Hello?? Have you heard the word suspension??? UGH!
Reply to: #221001 by Woman to Blame
May 1, 2008 3:39pm
Thread
Quote A restaurant in San Jose called Aqui, makes awesome sangria swirled margaritas.

LOL We used to go to Uncle Julio's on Fridays after school for these...they must be the official drink of the K-12 teacher!
Reply to: #221002 by The Travelers 4
May 1, 2008 3:42pm
Thread
Quote Okay, how about a kid openly slapped another kid in the hallway, which I witnessed, gave him detention, and his father is MAD that his kid has detention . . . Hello?? Have you heard the word suspension??? UGH!

Got two faves, but can only mention one:

I had a child copy off another (could tell because he never passed spelling tests and had the same answers that the kid next to him did, COMPLETE with spelling errors!). I told the parent and said I wanted them to take the test over by themselves, but the reply was, "Well, in MY day, we had to be CAUGHT cheating!"

And I thought, "No you DIDN'T! You're as old as I am and in MY day, all the teacher had to do was THINK you were cheating and they came by, took the paper, tore it up and gave you a ZERO!"
Reply to: #221072 by Sprite and Highlander
May 1, 2008 3:57pm
Thread
Sprite~ that was classic!
Scooter Boards
May 1, 2008 7:29pm
Thread
I have a question for all you teachers out there...

How do I handle a complaint/request to my child's school without being one of those "crazy" parents? As a teacher myself, I want to be sure I approach it properly.

So here's the situation: Today my daughter was injured in her PE class while using one of those scooter boards. Scooter boards have always scared me, but I never expected my own child to get hurt. Her nose was very swollen and bleeding, her front teeth were knocked loose (bleeding too), the inside of her upper lip was all cut up (from her own teeth), she got a mark on her face (rug burn-like) in the shape of the edge of the scooter, and a huge bruise on her knee. Fortunately, she will be okay, but it sure was terrifying to get a call from her school asking me to pick her up ASAP and take her to the doctor's office.

When I first arrived at the school, my primary concern was for my daugther (obviously) so I didn't ask a lot of questions about how the injury occured. But after visiting the doctor and ruling out a broken nose, I asked my daughter more questions about what exactly happened. Now I know kids don't always tell things exactly how they happened, but the story I was able to piece together was that her teacher allowed her class to have a free day--kids all over the gym choosing their own activity. My daugther and several children were playing on the scooters. They would hold the handles and run with their feet and then at the last moment jump on with their knees and "fly" across the gym. It sounds like my daughter collided with another child and then hit her face and knees. From my perspective this doesn't sound like the safest use of scooter boards. I talked with my other children to see if they have used scooters in a similar manner at other times, and they not only said that this was very normal, but that they also play "scooter bowling" where they bowl down pins with their bodies on scooters with other kids pushing them. Yikes!

So...how do I approach the school in order to request a change in policy regarding scooter boards without sounding like I'm overreacting? Am I over-reacting? Please be honest. Any feedback will be appreciated. =)
Thanks,
Stephanie
Re: Scooter Boards
Reply to: #221165 by Balladone Bunch
May 1, 2008 7:38pm
Thread
Okay, besides leaving themselves open for a serious lawsuit, you should approach the school immediately and ask them to explain why the "free period" was not supervised better. We have students always running crazy and sometimes it is not worth keeping them in line (esp with so many snow and rain days causing outdoor play to be null), but the liability could be costly. In Texas where I was they had to remove all playground equipment outside since a student was hurt and the school was sued. Since you don't want to see that happen, I would mention tot he school what happened, and ask them to develop a plan of how to create a more structured playtime. The B HUnters
Reply to: #221165 by Balladone Bunch
May 2, 2008 4:42am
Thread
I don't think you're overreacting at all. I think the PE coach should have done a better job of teaching the students how to and not to use the scooters before letting them have a free day. Now, accidents happen, especially in PE, but I would approach the PE coach first before going to the principal if possible. I know I always appreciate when a parent comes to me first instead of going over my head. If this isn't possible I think as long as you don't go in there screaming, threatening to call the local news, they will appreciate your concern for the safety of the students.

Rojo
Reply to: #221254 by RojoCuello
May 4, 2008 5:40am
Thread
I agree with Rojo. I always appreciate when a parent is willing to work something out with me first. It feels like they are trying to get us in trouble if they go right to the principal...it's like an unspoken chain of command.

Then if the teacher is not willing to talk with you and work something out, go to the principal. If that teacher is good, the principal should already be aware there is aproblem. If not, then the principal needs to know and be able to intervene.
Reply to: #221866 by Idhunna
May 4, 2008 8:43am
Thread
Quote ...it's like an unspoken chain of command.

Why is this the unspoken chain of command? At our school it is very clearly spoken. It is in the parent handbook and it reinforced often. Our principal is fairly good about saying to a parent.. Have you talked to the teacher yet?

Tha'ts the way it should be!

Maiden
Reply to: #221896 by Maiden
May 5, 2008 7:23pm
Thread
Our handbook is more of a suggestion around here. It is vague to begin with and seems to be altered at whim according to the needs of the admin. Especially the upper admin. They really put a lot of pressure on principals not to suspend kids so that we make AYP. I have very little faith in the handbook.
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week
May 6, 2008 8:45am
Thread
Teachers who inspire know that teaching is like cultivating a garden and those who would have nothing to do with thorns must never attempt to gather flowers. ~Author Unknown
Re: AAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghghh
Reply to: #211828 by B L3
May 6, 2008 8:50am
Thread
My AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH this year has come from my fellow faculty members! My precious 8th graders are fabulous, but my co-workers on my team drive me crazy! Two hours away, on an overnight school trip, I received 3 calls in the A.M. about things they could have handled. What's worse, is that out of the four of us, I'm the one who is the youngest and newest (only been teaching for 3 years) yet I'm the team leader. I can't wait for this year to end!
Re: Happy Teacher Appreciation Week
Reply to: #222660 by FALLING LEAVES
May 6, 2008 9:06am
Thread
Then said a teacher, "Speak to us of Teaching."

And he said:

No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of our knowledge.

The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

The astronomer may speak to you of his understanding of space, but he cannot give you his understanding.

The musician may sing to you of the rhythm which is in all space, but he cannot give you the ear which arrests the rhythm nor the voice that echoes it.

And he who is versed in the science of numbers can tell of the regions of weight and measure, but he cannot conduct you thither.

For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.

And even as each one of you stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each one of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the earth.

-"Teaching", by Kahlil Gibran
Taken from "The Prophet"
Reply to: #222668 by PhillyFanatic
May 6, 2008 9:29am
Thread
I was a huge fan of The Prophet in high school and college, and I've forgotten about it for too long. I'm not sure I read "Teaching" then, but now as a teacher, those words are beautiful to me. Thanks for sharing them.

-Mama Bear of 3Bears
Reply to: #222660 by FALLING LEAVES
May 6, 2008 10:23am
Thread
What a nice surprise! B L3 and I were having lunch in my room with two other teachers when in walks our new director of schools to introduce himself! My walls and boards are bare because of testing week, my student desks are in disarray from our "Play" rehearsals, my desk is covered with permission slips for field trips, student council applications, and supplies to make the athletic awards for the banquet, not to mention our lunch leftovers all over the table! Dr. C just wanted us to feel appreciated! (at least that's more than the last guy did)

Ah! 14 days, 14 days, 14 days.....

JaWr
Reply to: #222691 by JaWr
May 6, 2008 10:37am
Thread
14 Days!!!!???? When do you start the school year? We don't get out until June 13th. 27 more days for us.
SJ Honey Bunny
Reply to: #222695 by Woman to Blame
May 6, 2008 10:49am
Thread
Quote 14 Days!!!!???? When do you start the school year? We don't get out until June 13th. 27 more days for us.

We started on August 3rd- after 5 straight days of tortuous in-service from the state department about curriculum changes, NCLB, and interpreting test scores. Of course we take a few breaks: fall break (6 days), Thanksgiving Week off (5), 2 weeks for Christmas Break (actually a little longer this year), a 4 day weekend for President's Day and Good Friday, then Spring break... Imagine when we would've been out if we hadn't taken so many days off!

Makes it easier to Letterbox though!
May 6, 2008 11:16am
Thread
Quote 14 Days!!!!????

We've got 20!
Reply to: #222705 by Mn8X
May 6, 2008 12:09pm
Thread
We still have 30!!!!!!!!!
Reply to: #222700 by JaWr
May 6, 2008 12:13pm
Thread
We started on August 3rd- after 5 straight days of tortuous in-service from the state department about curriculum changes, NCLB, and interpreting test scores.

We start the Monday before Labor Day, so our first weekend is always a 3 day weekend. I like my job but I am always so ready for the breaks. My favorite breaks are the ones where I have the day off but my daughter still has pre-school. Does that make me a bad mom? LOL It's just so nice to have a day completely to myself.

As for breaks, we get a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for President's week ("Ski Week") and a week for Spring Break. There are a few 3-day weekends (Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc.) but they are few and far between. My district likes for us to have complete weeks as they think that will cut down on the number of absences.

Happy almost summer to you! We just started our state testing today--blech!!!
SJ Honey Bunny
Reply to: #222726 by Snowflake
May 6, 2008 1:02pm
Thread
Quote We still have 30!!!!!!!!!

Back when I was a teen living in Orlando, as soon as school let out my foster father and I would load up the car and drive up to Little Switzerland, NC for a couple of weeks. Occasionally I'd get harassed by the local cops because the schools there were still in session, clearly I was playing hooky. Their schools started about the same time as ours, but they'd miss lots of "snow days" over the winter and have to stay at school a couple weeks late.

I suppose everyone has noticed that the school year seems to be earlier and earlier each year. Back in the day, school started the day after Labor Day. Boy, those days are long gone. Part of it is that we keep adding more and more holidays into the calendar year, but it seems to me that the biggest part is that everyone seems to just want to get the school year started and ended earlier. I guess we've pretty well gotten to the point where the Christmas holidays -- uh, excuse me, "winter break" -- is also the break between semesters.
Reply to: #222760 by Kirbert
May 6, 2008 1:16pm
Thread
We're in a farming community, so I guess we've got several who have to help with the farms. In the fall, they hall hay at night, so that doesn't interfere as much. But yes, the multiple holidays, while enjoyable have extended our school year.
May 6, 2008 1:26pm
Thread
14 Days!!!!???? When do you start the school year? We don't get out until June 13th. 27 more days for us.

Us, too! Can't wait!
Reply to: #222668 by PhillyFanatic
May 6, 2008 1:29pm
Thread
LOVE the prophet! It's is very inspirational.
Reply to: #222767 by Casa del Sol
May 6, 2008 1:46pm
Thread

Our last day is June 20th. We have a week in December, then again in February (for my birthday I tell the kids) and April.

jay1
Reply to: #222771 by jay1
May 6, 2008 2:41pm
Thread
22 days for us. Woo Hoo!
Corazon
Reply to: #222797 by Corazon
May 6, 2008 3:14pm
Thread
17 here! YAY!
Reply to: #222808 by Idhunna
May 6, 2008 3:31pm
Thread
Only 11 days left for us! Can't wait!
Reply to: #222818 by Beachcomber
May 6, 2008 4:04pm
Thread
Oh! You Win!!! When did you start? You are getting out EARLY!