A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices

Re: Box not showing up in app
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #977747 by RidgefieldRovers
Jul 27, 2019 4:20am
Thread
There is an option in the Search settings to “Hide my plants and finds.” Perhaps that is turned on? Then you wouldn’t see your own box.
Re: Box not showing up in app
Reply to: #977780 by TJ_Mich
Jul 29, 2019 7:15am
Thread
That worked! Thank you so much!
Walking 4 fun competition
Oct 25, 2019 6:12am
Thread
Saw this post today about an App that virtually walks you through the AT.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2403798/virtual-appalachian-trail-hike-walk-distance-app

Think I've seen something similar somewhere before...🤔 😉
Re: Walking 4 fun competition
Reply to: #980548 by photopam
Oct 25, 2019 7:33am
Thread
Saw this post today about an App that virtually walks you through the AT.

Yeah, I saw that a couple of days ago as well.

Think I've seen something similar somewhere before...

I don't know.... there's one very significant difference between the two. As far as I can tell, their app doesn't include any photos or videos along the route. To me, that was the main feature of W4F. The maps of where you are located are secondary.

So, Walking 4 Fun currently supports 25 different trails. His app supports one! *shaking head*

But I'm a little envious that he's getting a lot of publicity out of the article while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980551 by Green Tortuga
Oct 25, 2019 9:20am
Thread
But I'm a little envious that he's getting a lot of publicity out of the article while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

Well, I commented the link for ya, so maybe you'll get some traffic. Maybe writing them and letting them know about it? Can't hurt. :D
Oct 25, 2019 11:33am
Thread
...while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

at least 14102 people know about it

DM
Reply to: #980555 by Dilton Martian
Oct 25, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
at least 14102 people know about it

Well, two of the accounts are mine. One is my "real" account and the other is a test account, so really just 14,101 people. ;o)

Most of them haven't used W4F in years, though!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980559 by Green Tortuga
Oct 25, 2019 4:12pm
Thread
Most of them haven't used W4F in years, though!

*Hic*
Oct 25, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
I know about and love w4f! On there I am sunflower. I have hiked 20 of the trails. Love it and am always telling my friends about it.
Reply to: #980567 by condo
Oct 25, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
On the topic, when is the first installment of the Pacific Northwest Trail? I’m getting antsy...

Yosemite
Reply to: #980569 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 28, 2019 7:48am
Thread
when is the first installment of the Pacific Northwest Trail?

Today! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980608 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
Wahoooo! I need a break from all the fire stuff!!
Reply to: #980617 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 28, 2019 5:09pm
Thread
I need a break from all the fire stuff!!

Huh? What fire stuff?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980629 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 6:52pm
Thread
Have you not heard about how a million Californians have their power out and in some cases have evacuated their homes because of poor electrical maintenance and a wind storm? More than 60,000 acres are on fire! What a mess!

I am appreciating the diversion.....
Reply to: #980644 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 29, 2019 8:25am
Thread
Have you not heard about how a million Californians have their power out and in some cases have evacuated their homes because of poor electrical maintenance and a wind storm?

Oh, that. Yeah, I heard something about it. I didn't realize that it was still a problem. I'm in California now and see no evidence of wind or fire at the moment!

I'm not sure that "poor electrical maintenance" is unique to California, though. High winds cause power issues pretty much everywhere! Happens in Seattle too. California is unique in the sense that it's in an especially dry part of the country compared to most other places--which is a curse and a blessing. It "never" rains in California--yeah! But the downside, of course, are bigger wildfires.

-- Ryan
Attention Android Users
Jan 24, 2020 11:35am
Thread
Have you used our Clue Tracker for Letterboxing app on an Android device? What did you think? (Please be honest.) Is it worthy of a 4-star or 5-star rating? If not, what would it take to get such a rating?

TrailMark and I would really appreciate it if more letterboxers would submit a rating or review for the app on Google Play. Clue Tracker now includes a "Rate This App" item in its menu, or you can go to:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pearlcrescent.cluetracker
Re: Attention Android Users
Reply to: #982812 by MichKathy
Jan 24, 2020 4:51pm
Thread
While I'm sure it's a great app, I've already spent $5 on Box Radar, and $5 on Clue Tracker for iPhone. I just can't justify spending yet another $5 on letterboxing apps. (Especially as I rarely use them - I prefer printed clues)
Jan 24, 2020 5:28pm
Thread
What did you think? (Please be honest.)

Please be honest
Reply to: #982821 by RIclimber
Jan 25, 2020 9:34am
Thread
I too print clues but would like to have an app on my android for the occasional time that I do need to look up clues. But I don't want to spend money on an app I may not use much.
Jan 25, 2020 4:27pm
Thread
I use it, love it, and will be happy to rate it. Off to do so now!
Reply to: #982828 by moonstone
Jan 28, 2020 12:25pm
Thread
I too print clues but would like to have an app on my android for the occasional time that I do need to look up clues. But I don't want to spend money on an app I may not use much.

Thanks to you and RIclimber for your feedback. It's helpful to understand where you are coming from. If there are features we could add to the app that would make you reconsider, please let us know.
Reply to: #982842 by The Vs
Jan 28, 2020 12:26pm
Thread
I use it, love it, and will be happy to rate it. Off to do so now!

Thank you!
Reply to: #982915 by MichKathy
Jan 28, 2020 1:54pm
Thread
If there are features we could add to the app that would make you reconsider, please let us know.

Is there a way to bulk download and save clues? Most of my boxing is done in places with limited cell service. That is the main reason why I dont use apps anymore. If I have to open and save clues individually ahead of time, I might as well just print them.

Geocaching has a feature where you can select a group of caches and download them. Then search/filter offline in the app.
Reply to: #982924 by RIclimber
Jan 28, 2020 3:23pm
Thread
Geocaching has a feature where you can select a group of caches and download them. Then search/filter offline in the app.

For a quick box or two I’ll do a screen shot of the clues on my phone but for any serious boxing trip I also have to print clues.
Reply to: #982925 by MissMoon
Jan 28, 2020 6:45pm
Thread
For a quick box or two I’ll do a screen shot of the clues on my phone but for any serious boxing trip I also have to print clues.

I have printed out a map of the boxes then put the clues in a text file. If I have to I write numbers on the map so that I can correlate the clues to the map.
Reply to: #982926 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 28, 2020 6:54pm
Thread
I just print the clues. I don’t need to print out a map of the boxes or put clues in a text file. I have mapped the locations and GPS is loaded with the boxes by name. Clues are in the order I need to do them. Just click and go. I don’t need to correlate anything.
Jan 28, 2020 8:29pm
Thread
I'd give the app 5 stars, its really nice the way it synchronized with Atlasquest and doesnt show boxes ive already found and lets me log finds in the field. even better i can bring up the clue and then if i get somewhere there is no service the page stays up and lets me follow the clue. the map feature is as cool as box radar, i used to turn that ap on and drive down the freeway and it would show when i was close to a box
Reply to: #982924 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2020 4:59am
Thread
Is there a way to bulk download and save clues? Most of my boxing is done in places with limited cell service. That is the main reason why I don't use apps anymore. If I have to open and save clues individually ahead of time, I might as well just print them.

Yes! I installed this app just before a roadtrip to Florida and it worked great for doing just this. You do a search ("nearby boxes", by location name, or by Box Name or ID) and with one or two clicks you can save all clues* to your device. I was impressed how fast and how well the app worked for saving boxes and maybe got carried away, I think I save about a thousand clues to my phone and yet only managed to find about 3 boxes on that trip.
(* there are some limits placed on number of boxes returned for each search, I think it's 100 for regular members and 250 for premium members)

The app is easily worth the small price just for how quickly it can search for and store clues. saves so much time vs. printing clues.

Also it can search and save clues from both AQ and LbNA
Reply to: #982926 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 29, 2020 11:28am
Thread
I use Maps.Me on a tablet for my map needs, as the maps are stored in the tablet and don't require a cell signal when I'm lost. On Maps.me, you can bookmark a location with a little pin, and you can type in notes for that pin. I put a pin at the starting location for a letterbox, and copy and paste the entire clue into the notes. It requires a bit of planning to go through the available boxes in the area beforehand and decide which ones to apply pins for and where, so it's not an ideal scheme for just driving down the road and being surprised when a letterbox pops up on the map. But for those of us who plan our outings, it works very well.

Perhaps the nicest thing about it is that c:geo, the geocaching app I use, will bring up all the geocaches I have chosen to hunt on Maps.Me. So, I end up using a map that has both the geocaches and the letterboxes on it.
Feb 12, 2020 1:13pm
Thread
i went from Android to IOS and am so sorry i did it. Clue tracker was one that worked well for me.

deniserows
over to the dark side of iphone