A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices

Re: US or world GPS issue
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #953988 by Sagacorn
Nov 23, 2017 6:40am
Thread
So the maps are correct, but the directions are silly? I think you need to contact the individual services. If the map is wrong, there used to be a company you contact, Navtech or something like that, that all the other companies took their maps from, but I don't know if the big players still depend on Navtech or not. I'd start with Google Maps. You can look up directions to the rest stop and see what it tells you. If the directions given are wrong, you can then report that. There's an option for that on the page. Google also owns Waze, which is popular.

Is this a consistent issue going back to when gps use first started, or did it develop more over the past few years as people started using traffic apps like Waze? Any chance there is a traffic issue via the shortest route and the apps are rerouting people to miss that? One way to test this is via Google Maps, where you have the option to designate the day and time of your directions. Pick a time during rush hour, for example. That would not take into account any accidents or road projects.
Re: US or world GPS issue
Reply to: #953988 by Sagacorn
Nov 23, 2017 8:29am
Thread
I have found what I consider a major flaw in the GPS navigation directions and I don't know who to contact

This would probably be the individual GPS receiver providers. It is the algorithms that they use to decide on the route.

When you look at a map to decide on a route, you will automatically narrow down your choices to a few routes based on your multiple pre-decided criteria. You will then more consciously decide between these routes.

When a computer (and your GPS receiver is a computer, just specialized so we don't usually call it a 'computer') decides on a route, it works in a very different way. First of all, a computer only has a one-dimensional view of its memory. The road network is just a connection of nodes (points) with a cost (time, etc.) to traverse (travel) from one node to another along a line. If a computer tried to evaluate every route from Point A to Point B, it would take a very long time, very much like a chess problem.

In order to cut down on the number of routes it has to evaluate, certain criteria are used. Simplifying, it would (probably) work from both end points to more and more major roads until they get to a common road. So, from the MAJOR truck terminal it will find that one of the two exits is closer than the other and use that. The only criteria modification I've seen on GPSrs is "shortest route" or "fastest time". Unless someone knows the area and knows better, they will follow the GPSr. That's what I do when I'm unfamiliar with the area.

This information comes from being a computer programmer myself, knowing something about how the GPSr data is stored and evaluating some of the horrible decisions made by my GPSr. A GPSr has a small amount of storage (for road information) and a (relatively) slow processor so it will give the best answer it was programmed to do. Google (or other online) route calculators have computers that are faster and with better information. They will likely do better with the criteria given.

An expert person could still (often/sometimes) do better, but we don't usually have access to such a person. People certainly don't for every trip to an unfamiliar area.
Can't type text on Android tablet
Aug 23, 2018 10:16pm
OK, right now I cannot post to these boards using my Android tablet. I have been able to in the past. When the onscreen keyboard comes up, I type and nothing appears in the message box.

I don't believe this is an AQ-only issue. I've visited one or two other places where I seem to have the same problem. OTOH, I can type posts on Facebook just fine. It's almost as though the sites that bring up a dedicated message box don't work, while Facebook's scheme of letting you just type right there in the conversation works.
Others
Mar 24, 2019 5:31am
Thread
Are there and if so what are they, other websites or apps to use for finding letter boxes I'm aware of this one and letterboxing.org but with how big this actually is there must be more.
Re: Others
Reply to: #973199 by Midge
Mar 24, 2019 6:38am
Thread
If there, are I don't know of them.
Mar 24, 2019 7:07am
Thread
Are there and if so what are they, other websites or apps to use for finding letter boxes

If you are looking for different boxes, the only other ones that I am aware of are personal websites. I had listed some boxes years ago on my blog and I know that others did the same thing but I no longer do it because people just didn't know they were listed and the boxes would not get found.

If you are looking for an app that works to find the boxes on AQ or LBNA when you are out and about, Clue Tracker works. And best of all, they just announced today that they now have an Android version. They already had the version for iPhones.
Mar 24, 2019 12:34pm
Thread
Are there and if so what are they, other websites or apps to use for finding letter boxes

Just to make your list complete, I'm mentioning the elephant in the room. The 500 pound gorilla is geocaching.com which also lists letterbox hybrids. There are other geocaching sites, but this is the biggest.

However, those who want to follow a GPS are already geocaching. Besides most of those are store-bought stamps. All of those that I've found (except for two hidden by the son of a letterboxer) have been store-bought.

All of the letterbox hybrids that I have hidden use hand-carved stamps. All except my first are also listed here. My first isn't because it is about half of a mile from the nearest landmark, and I don't want to give a description referencing sagebrush.

I'm just making your list complete.
Mar 25, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
There are 103, 816 active traditional letterboxes on AQ as of when I looked just now + LBNA.

And more popping up as new boxes every day.
box radar
Mar 29, 2019 8:58am
Thread
When I am on a trip and have not printed or researched clues in an area I turn on box radar on my phone. Looks like it is not is service any more.
Is there another app I can put on my phone to find boxes and clues as I drive?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
NFF
Re: box radar
Reply to: #973528 by nfsquared
Mar 29, 2019 9:09am
Thread
I used to use Box Radar, but now I use Clue Tracker. I love it.
Reply to: #973530 by Angel Winks
Mar 29, 2019 10:33am
Thread
can that be used on android phones?
Reply to: #973533 by DevilinDog
Mar 29, 2019 11:24am
Thread
Mar 29, 2019 8:37pm
Thread
They just made clue tracker for Android its 4.99 plus tax and I love it so far.
Apr 1, 2019 10:08am
Thread
dont know if clue tracker for android has been formally released but i got a test version a few months ago. I used it driving to and from live and breathe and have used it in LA a few times. Its good. the mapping function is a bit less than box radar but the detail of the clues and ability to interface with LBNA and AQ are far superior to Box radar.
I found when i collect a bunch of boxes to be found on a cross country road trip, neither aq or lbna seems to capture them all. if i run clue tracker/ BR while im driiving, it updates location and i can see boxes along the road that never showed up in a list. I know , they were there but i didnt see them or didnt print them because they hadnt been found in 10 years. I am willing to pull off to a rest area and spend five minutes looking for an old box.
Box not showing up in app
Jul 26, 2019 10:22am
Thread
I recently did my first plant and it is showing up in Atlas Quest and LBNA (has been found three times) but it is not showing up in the Clue Tracker iOS app, which is my go-to resource. Wondering if there's something I need to do to get in on there or if perhaps it populates new boxes when there is an app update?

Thanks!
Re: Box not showing up in app
Reply to: #977747 by RidgefieldRovers
Jul 27, 2019 4:20am
Thread
There is an option in the Search settings to “Hide my plants and finds.” Perhaps that is turned on? Then you wouldn’t see your own box.
Re: Box not showing up in app
Reply to: #977780 by TJ_Mich
Jul 29, 2019 7:15am
Thread
That worked! Thank you so much!
Walking 4 fun competition
Oct 25, 2019 6:12am
Thread
Saw this post today about an App that virtually walks you through the AT.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2403798/virtual-appalachian-trail-hike-walk-distance-app

Think I've seen something similar somewhere before...🤔 😉
Re: Walking 4 fun competition
Reply to: #980548 by photopam
Oct 25, 2019 7:33am
Thread
Saw this post today about an App that virtually walks you through the AT.

Yeah, I saw that a couple of days ago as well.

Think I've seen something similar somewhere before...

I don't know.... there's one very significant difference between the two. As far as I can tell, their app doesn't include any photos or videos along the route. To me, that was the main feature of W4F. The maps of where you are located are secondary.

So, Walking 4 Fun currently supports 25 different trails. His app supports one! *shaking head*

But I'm a little envious that he's getting a lot of publicity out of the article while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980551 by Green Tortuga
Oct 25, 2019 9:20am
Thread
But I'm a little envious that he's getting a lot of publicity out of the article while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

Well, I commented the link for ya, so maybe you'll get some traffic. Maybe writing them and letting them know about it? Can't hurt. :D
Oct 25, 2019 11:33am
Thread
...while nobody knows about Walking 4 Fun!

at least 14102 people know about it

DM
Reply to: #980555 by Dilton Martian
Oct 25, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
at least 14102 people know about it

Well, two of the accounts are mine. One is my "real" account and the other is a test account, so really just 14,101 people. ;o)

Most of them haven't used W4F in years, though!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980559 by Green Tortuga
Oct 25, 2019 4:12pm
Thread
Most of them haven't used W4F in years, though!

*Hic*
Oct 25, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
I know about and love w4f! On there I am sunflower. I have hiked 20 of the trails. Love it and am always telling my friends about it.
Reply to: #980567 by condo
Oct 25, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
On the topic, when is the first installment of the Pacific Northwest Trail? I’m getting antsy...

Yosemite
Reply to: #980569 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 28, 2019 7:48am
Thread
when is the first installment of the Pacific Northwest Trail?

Today! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980608 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
Wahoooo! I need a break from all the fire stuff!!
Reply to: #980617 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 28, 2019 5:09pm
Thread
I need a break from all the fire stuff!!

Huh? What fire stuff?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #980629 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2019 6:52pm
Thread
Have you not heard about how a million Californians have their power out and in some cases have evacuated their homes because of poor electrical maintenance and a wind storm? More than 60,000 acres are on fire! What a mess!

I am appreciating the diversion.....
Reply to: #980644 by Yosemite MJD
Oct 29, 2019 8:25am
Thread
Have you not heard about how a million Californians have their power out and in some cases have evacuated their homes because of poor electrical maintenance and a wind storm?

Oh, that. Yeah, I heard something about it. I didn't realize that it was still a problem. I'm in California now and see no evidence of wind or fire at the moment!

I'm not sure that "poor electrical maintenance" is unique to California, though. High winds cause power issues pretty much everywhere! Happens in Seattle too. California is unique in the sense that it's in an especially dry part of the country compared to most other places--which is a curse and a blessing. It "never" rains in California--yeah! But the downside, of course, are bigger wildfires.

-- Ryan