Thread
Clue Tracker!!!
Re: Best Hinkg trail App?
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #809799 by deniserows
Oct 15, 2013 2:50am
Thread
please help me figure out what apps i absolutely NEED for basic letterboxing

Since I usually box alone and have a poor sense of direction, I have installed My Tracks. I turn it on at the beginning of my hike and it tracks my path so if I do get disoriented, I can just follow my own trail back to the car.

Should i think about the compass app?

I am looking forward to this answer. I have downloaded several compass apps and find them appallingly bad. Hopefully, some one can provide one that works well.

Also, if you decide to head to Pennsylvania, there is a PA State Parks and Forest app.

Enjoy your new toy, I love my Samsung 3 and rarely use it for a phone because there are so many other ways to use it!
Re: Best Hiking trail App?
Reply to: #810507 by Janila
Oct 15, 2013 3:41am
Thread
Also, this site might be helpful - Pocket Ranger Exchange.
Reply to: #810509 by Janila
Oct 15, 2013 4:30am
Thread
Since I usually box alone and have a poor sense of direction, I have installed My Tracks. I turn it on at the beginning of my hike and it tracks my path so if I do get disoriented, I can just follow my own trail back to the car.

Thanks, Janila - I am directionally challenged, and this is exactly what I need! I have just installed the app on my phone and used it to track my path, but haven't yet figured out the "follow my own trail back" piece of it. Can you (or anyone) explain?

ER/Karen
takeitwithme
Oct 15, 2013 9:58am
Thread
something happened in my computer and now I cant download google maps to takeitwithme any more,, anyone having this problem?
Reply to: #810514 by EarResponsible
Oct 15, 2013 10:01am
Thread
but haven't yet figured out the "follow my own trail back" piece of it.

You just follow the tracks on your app back to the beginning. When the tracks turn left, you turn left, etc. It is also great for tracking how far you walked.
Reply to: #810571 by Janila
Oct 15, 2013 10:17am
Thread
You just follow the tracks on your app back to the beginning. When the tracks turn left, you turn left, etc.

OK - thanks! I'll try it. . .
Re: takeitwithme
Reply to: #810570 by fleetwood7
Oct 15, 2013 1:07pm
Thread
i dont' know if it's related, but i seem to have somehow crashed the entire google maps app on my Droid phone.

Anyone know how to fix it??

~tigs the computer stupid
Re: Best Hinkg trail App?
Reply to: #810507 by Janila
Oct 15, 2013 2:00pm
Thread
Thanx janila. Its on my phone. Not only can i get back to where i started... it has stopped the husband/wife "discussion" about which way to go to get back. THANX!

deniserows
a GPS in the car for the exact same reason
Reply to: #810570 by fleetwood7
Oct 15, 2013 2:01pm
Thread
Not me. Did you hit the link instead of copy and pasting?

deniserows
her smart phone finally
Reply to: #810599 by tiggermama
Oct 15, 2013 11:47pm
Thread
{crashed the entire Google maps app}}

Try uninstalling then reinstalling.
Well, I'm Here Now
Oct 16, 2013 9:06pm
Thread
Bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 today. I don't have wi-fi at the house, so I'll be hauling it to the library tomorrow to learn how to use it. Wish me luck!
Re: Well, I'm Here Now
Reply to: #810847 by Kirbert
Oct 16, 2013 11:38pm
Thread
At least my Android came with a manual already installed. You can digest that, or just play with it.
Reply to: #810855 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 17, 2013 4:25am
Thread
The last Blackberry I had came with a 220 page online manual. My latest phone, a Droid, came with a 2x3 card "Quickstart guide" that told me little more than how to turn it on and put the SD card in. No mention of a manual, not even online, though I'm sure if I searched online I could have found one. I learned it all by playing around. Lack of a manual was the first in disappointments for this piece of junk. I am 97% sure my next phone will be a Blackberry Q10, unless something extraordinary happens to change my mind between now and February.
Reply to: #810864 by Dizzy
Oct 17, 2013 4:40am
Thread
I am 97% sure my next phone will be a Blackberry Q10, unless something extraordinary happens to change my mind between now and February.

like an iPhone. On my 3rd generation Every Disney worker has an iPhone and or iPad assigned to them. That says something.

Turkey feathers
Likes Apples
Reply to: #810867 by turkey feathers
Oct 17, 2013 5:05am
Thread
iPhone is definitely NOT something extraordinary to change my mind. Hubby's work recently switched from Droid to iPhone. The only good thing he can say about it is, "At least it seems to work most of the time, which is more than I could say for my Droid." He hates it. The things that he hates about it are things I would end up throwing the phone across the room for. Blackberry is still top of the list. I don't care if they are going out of business, they are still the best choice out there (and I'm willing to give up my apps for it).
Reply to: #810867 by turkey feathers
Oct 17, 2013 5:10am
Thread
Every Disney worker has an iPhone and or iPad assigned to them. That says something.

I'm not even sure how this makes a point. Disney is the epitome of Corporate America. All that says to me is that they got a good deal.
Reply to: #810873 by Dizzy
Oct 17, 2013 5:27am
Thread
I'm not even sure how this makes a point

because Disney does things first rate and top shelf. Wally World uses Droids and Blackberrys ; )
Reply to: #810847 by Kirbert
Oct 17, 2013 6:35am
Thread
My Samsung is great, Kirbert. Breathe deeply and maybe get someone to show you a few tricks. Like the closest twelve year old.
Reply to: #810876 by turkey feathers
Oct 17, 2013 10:43am
Thread
I love iPhones and I live Disney over life itself, but Disney only provides iphones and ipads because they use them for mymagic+. Disney has had a long running relationship with Apple even before the iPhone, because Steven Jobs was the largest shareholder and also was the financial backing behind Pixar when they started. iPhones are there because Steven said so...

But back on topic...Kirbert, have fun with your new device! I would choose a Samsung device if I didn't already have my iPhone/KindleFire. I think it will be very handy for you with LBing. If you are like me and end up in places you didn't expect to be, then you can just take it out and see what is around. Have fun!
Reply to: #810883 by Fiddleheads
Oct 17, 2013 10:45am
Thread
I'm on it now. This is basically my first attempt to use this onscreen keyboard.
Reply to: #810934 by turkey feathers
Oct 17, 2013 12:31pm
Thread
I like blackberries. Jam, syrup, over ice cream. Wait? What? A thread on AQ went astray?

Look! Squirrel!!!
Reply to: #810935 by turkey feathers
Oct 17, 2013 1:54pm
Thread
I find it an interesting comparison to take

[cost of new iPhone] + ( [cost of phone plan per month] * 12 * 2)

subtract

[cost of new droid, blackberry...] + ( [cost of phone plan per month] * 12 * 2).

This would be the 2-year cost. (You could change the year for however long you think you would keep the phone.)

And ask myself the question is that difference in function, feel, and even reputation (since my daughter would rather be seen with an iPhone than a droid) of an iPhone for the cost. Some would say "yes" and some would say "no." And of course some would say "It doesn't matter; I have plenty of money." :-)
Reply to: #810952 by roo
Oct 17, 2013 6:02pm
Thread
And of course some would say "It doesn't matter; I have plenty of money."

It's my impression that a high percentage of Apple users are spending their parents' money.
Re: Tablets vs. Smart Phones
Reply to: #803685 by Kirbert
Oct 17, 2013 6:05pm
Thread
Oh, I'll be looking for a car charger!

Got a car charger at Wally World for $4.88. Works fine. I found similar models at a gas station in a plastic tub at the checkout counter, $5 each.
Reply to: #803735 by Open Space
Oct 17, 2013 6:14pm
Thread
If you do get a tablet, consider a keyboard for it...

Considered -- just until I held one of those keyboards in my hand. They look great in the photos, but in person it turns out they're about 75% the size you think they are. You need a child's hands to actually type on them. So, unless and until I can find a full size keyboard to use with my tablet, I might as well just use the onscreen keyboard. Fact is, I'm one of those guys who could actually use a keyboard that's a bit bigger than standard size.

The Samsung Note is one of those tablets with a stylus. I'm already glad I got it -- not because I really need to draw things on the screen, but because the stylus is so handy for pecking at that onscreen keyboard. As with anything else these days, it's too tiny for this sausage fingers.
Reply to: #810995 by Kirbert
Oct 17, 2013 6:21pm
Thread
I'm now picturing you with a laptop and a small satellite receiver, and walking through the woods. Beep, bleep, beep , bip, bip, beeeeeeeep.....
Google Maps
Oct 17, 2013 6:22pm
Thread
OK, since my new tablet is a wi-fi only model, my first inclination was to see if I could download maps and keep them on it for use when I'm outta range of any wi-fi. Fired up Google Maps and it offered to let me do just that. Then I tried to download the entire SE US, but it wouldn't take that. Turned out to be limited to about 30 miles square. Downloaded one area around my house and 5 more between my house and my parents' house, then it quit -- turns out it won't let you download more than 6. Then, an hour later while I'm doing some other things, Google Maps apparently updated, and the maps I downloaded are no longer there -- well, they seem to be taking up space in memory, but they're no longer accessible via Google Maps. And the button you could hit to tell Google Maps to center the map on where I'm standing has gone away, so I can't figure out how to do that. And when I'm driving down the highway, I can't figure out how to get Google Maps to follow me; the little blue dot moves just fine until it moves right off the edge of the screen.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Re: Google Maps
Reply to: #810997 by Kirbert
Oct 17, 2013 6:31pm
Thread
I've never tried using Google Map on the tablet, although I use it all the time on my Droid, just because I assumed I couldn't do what you're trying to do. I do have an app on my Droid called "Back Country" that I had to pay for, but it's pretty handy in that you can download maps when you have a good connection and save them. My Garmin recreational gps unit only has the maps for the Northeast, and the maps are ridiculously expensive, so last year when I was hiking in Virginia I used the Back Country app rather than shell out $100 or whatever it is for the maps.
Reply to: #810952 by roo
Oct 17, 2013 6:47pm
Thread
I use my droid for 2 reasons:

1. It has a slide out keyboard. I find this MUCH better for typing and texting. Way fewer mistakes.

2. Box Radar

I was disappointed Box Radar won't work on Kindle Fire....