A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Wiki Help Discussions

Re: Credit card stumped
Board: Wiki Help Discussions
Reply to: #889382 by SeerMeesh
Feb 27, 2015 11:30am
Thread
Paypal never accepts my Discover card but does accept my Visa card. Sometimes it is how the security on the individual cards is set up. If you contact your cards customer service they should be able to tweak the settings so that it would be accepted. I could do the same thing but just have never gotten around to doing it.
Reply to: #889407 by Green Tortuga
Feb 27, 2015 1:39pm
Thread
It's just weird . It's not expired, nor have I gotten a new one this past year. I used the same card last time I think.... but it's any site connected to PayPal. Not going through PayPal, mind you. I tried resurrecting my old account too, but that didn't help. So I'm back to the dinosaur age of writing and mailing checks. Stupid technology. When will it be like on 5th Element and everything is rolled into one multipass system?
Reply to: #889463 by SeerMeesh
Feb 27, 2015 8:53pm
Thread
You should be asking these questions at Paypal, not here. There's just a slim possibility that somebody has hacked your account or something. You might also contact the credit card company and see if they've put a block on Paypal or whatnot.
Deleting a saved search
Jun 8, 2015 2:20pm
Thread
Before trips I save searches.

Now that the remodeled site is there my choices are Edit and Cancel.

How do I just delete a saved search?
Re: Deleting a saved search
Reply to: #901194 by Granny Butterfly
Jun 8, 2015 2:46pm
Thread
Go to Letterboxes on the toolbar at the top of this page and select My Searches.
A list of your searches will appear.
There's a red X that looks like a close box up by the name of the search. That's the delete search button.
Uploading Signature Stamp
Sep 2, 2015 7:57am
I too am having trouble uploading a small scanned image that is a jpeg and well under 10mb. Please advise.
setting image in image viewer
Sep 6, 2017 10:15pm
Thread
Whenever I type the URL of an image into the image viewer and hit "save", the image doesn't appear and the URL pops up in my RSS feed and replaces what was there. The title that I had in the image viewer transfers over to the RSS feed as well. When I put the URL of my image in the address bar just the picture comes up, so I think the URL is correct. What am I doing wrong?
Re: setting image in image viewer
Reply to: #950983 by SpyCat
Sep 9, 2017 9:30pm
Thread
You aren't doing anything wrong. Just a bug in the code. It's been fixed now! If you edit the Image Viewer options, they should work properly now!

-- Ryan
Line Feed in Clues?
Jan 7, 2018 10:50pm
Thread
So I already had this bookmarked: https://www.atlasquest.com/help/markups.html

... but is there a way to do a line feed? Is there a wiki version of "< br >" ?
Re: Line Feed in Clues?
Reply to: #955313 by Poison Oak
Jan 8, 2018 12:06am
Thread
Is there a wiki version of "< br >" ?

Just hitting the <enter> key will do it. And I know you know that because you did it in this very post I'm replying to! =)

Also, you might check out the "Wiki Help" link found under the "Boards" menubar option. It'll explain some of the available tags in a bit more detail than that overview page does, and it's already "bookmarked" for you directly in the menubar!

-- Ryan
Posting Details?
Feb 7, 2019 1:46am
Thread
I am not even sure if I am posting this on the right board, but where can I find the details of how to make letters bold, add a hyperlink, etc. when posting on a board? Thank you.
Re: Posting Details?
Reply to: #971167 by RDHG
Feb 7, 2019 3:57am
Thread
Go to the Home menu and select Help.
On the right side there is a link for Syntax Help - this is what you want
Reply to: #971168 by SherlockMiles
Feb 7, 2019 5:28am
Thread
Thank you, SherlockMiles! That is exactly what I was seeking. 👍
Reply to: #971167 by RDHG
Feb 7, 2019 3:04pm
Thread
You'll also find a link for it in the dropdown for the Boards menubar option. (Wiki help)

-- Ryan
Searching For a Series - and Tagging Suggestion
Dec 28, 2019 10:15am
Thread
This series - To the Beaches From I-5: CA Rest Area #19 - recently showed up in my feed, which is great timing, since I'm about to drive most of this I-5 stretch. There are, in theory, 28 boxes. From the clue:

There are 28 Rest Areas along the I-5 Freeway in California. I have planted 1 Beach themed stamp at each of these Rest Areas, with #1 starting at the Anderson Welcome Center, going South to Oceanside and then returning North again.

Except I can only find clues for 11 of them. I did that by going to the Planter's profile and searching recent plants. Now, since there are multiple people involved with this, it's likely there might be other planters. And I have not tried some of their profiles yet, but...

I did try searching for just the phrase "To the Beaches From I-5" and got nothing :( Which is weird, IMO. Doing just "To the Beaches" finds some of them along with some other BEACHES boxes. So...

FINDING
1. Why doesn't the more specific search yield any results? Is there a better way for me to look for these?

POSTING
2. Is there a way to tag a series to give it it's own... uh... Playlist? So that when you find one of them, you could click somewhere and see all of them? That would crazy helpful.

In writing this it occurred to me that if this series is broken up among a few people, it's possible the others just haven't gotten around to posting them yet, which could totally explain why not all 28 are up at this moment. So that might be my overall answer... but I'm still posting because if there are answers to my questions, I'd like them, please :)
Re: Searching For a Series - and Tagging Suggestion
Reply to: #982054 by Poison Oak
Dec 28, 2019 11:16am
Thread
I see 12 in the logbook. I would say there is only that one planter and she just haven't planted them all yet but is using past tense in the clues. It looks like the other people involved donated the stamps but are not involved in planting.

You could always just write the planter and ask if those are the only ones that have been planted.
Reply to: #982058 by MissMoon
Dec 28, 2019 5:38pm
Thread
MissMoon, yes, thank you, that is, in fact, the case! I did message the planter, as well, and got a speedy and informative reply. But I wanted to also ask here because I'm driving down the I-5 in about 12 hours :)

And also because, as a sometimes planter myself, I wanted to know if there was any way to tag/list a series of boxes in such a way that they could *all* reference each other when you found *one* of them. It looks like AQ does not have anything like that. And that it's up to us, the planters, to add it to the clue page. Which is fine with me.
Reply to: #982070 by Poison Oak
Dec 28, 2019 7:07pm
Thread
The glossary mentions that you can set up a series like that using a traditional tracker:

A series spread out where each box is independent of the others should be listed as individual boxes. The clues can link to other boxes within the series, or you could create a traditional tracker with each of the boxes in the series. Most people also include the series name as part of the name of the letterbox. (e.g. “High Point Series: Mount Hood”)

It looks like there is even a circus tent icon to designate “a series of boxes related to each other but spread out across large distances that letterboxers might search for in any order and on different outings.”

https://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/question.php?wikiId=501

That said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the traditional trackers used in this way. Most people use them to organize stamp requests for collaborations or event series.
Reply to: #982071 by Nature Hikers
Dec 29, 2019 2:59am
Thread
That said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the traditional trackers used in this way.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. First, there aren't all that many series that would fit this description. And second, because it's relatively rare, people don't think about using trackers like this because they haven't seen other people using it like that.

But it's kind of a neat solution. You can provide one link to the tracker in each of the clues and as boxes are added or removed from the tracker, you don't have to update the individual clues. All the changes (to the series) are handled in one, central location.

And it allows people to collaborate more easily if more than one person is responsible for planting the spread-out series.

And you can even include a location for the tracker making it searchable. For something like a series of boxes at I-5 rest areas in California, the location might be "California," (or a custom location of "I-5, California") but it still narrows it down from all series all over the world. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982071 by Nature Hikers
Dec 29, 2019 5:44am
Thread
Yay! Nature Hikers, that is a very cool workaround! Thanks.
Reply to: #982073 by Green Tortuga
Dec 29, 2019 2:52pm
Thread
I hate the stamp requests using a traditional tracker because they expect you to list the stamp and mess up my plant count. I would really like to see a "Stamp Swap" tracker type. I know the Other type is perfect for these, but nobody knows to use that. Maybe a bit of a name change? Or at least a description change?
Reply to: #982077 by RIclimber
Dec 30, 2019 12:21am
Thread
I hate the stamp requests using a traditional tracker because they expect you to list the stamp and mess up my plant count.

I did not realize people were using the traditional tracker in this manner. It's definitely being misused, though. If someone wants to list stamps (not boxes), the "other" category is the proper place for it, and if someone wants a tracker to track "other" boxes, the "other" tracker is the place for it.

Maybe people just need a reminder about the correct way to list these sorts of things?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982079 by Green Tortuga
Dec 30, 2019 4:53am
Thread
I'm not going to call out any one person, but 16 of the 17 active traditional trackers are stamp requests. None that I looked at have you list your own stamps, but I know that was popular a couple of years ago.
Misuse of trackers
Reply to: #982080 by RIclimber
Dec 30, 2019 6:46am
Thread
I'm not going to call out any one person, but 16 of the 17 active traditional trackers are stamp requests.

Oh holy crap, am I glad I read this thread. I’m calling myself out! This is not defensiveness, this is an honest acknowledgement of ignorance on my part. RIClimber, you know me in real life and I hope you realize my explanation is sincere and I am asking for correction. I’ve been told before that my writing style comes off as terse :-( so please know that I am writing this with a smile in my heart.

For my first Letterboxers Egg Hunt, I kept track of my stamp requests/received on an excel spreadsheet, independent of AQ. It was the carvers/donators who requested I use a ‘tracker’ to store that info so they could have access to it and also to serve as a reminder (I was using individual AQ messages to participants for acknowledgement/reminders). Since I was WTF is a tracker, I took a look at some existing ones and, well, emulated what I saw :-(

I’m not a Luddite but I’m also getting older and as many know, I have low vision, so there are TONS of stuff on AQ that I have never heard of (I do use the glossary/wiki when I get confused).

I had never heard of a contributor having to enter a box on a tracker, RIClimber, so I’m not sure if I have violated another protocol on top of everything else. I list the contributors’ information in the body of the text of the tracker page. Nothing gets ‘officially recorded’ to affect anyone’s carve/donate/plant/whatever. The contributed stamp does not ‘appear’ on AQ until I have actually received them and have planted them and only then do I enter it as a letterbox with the associated carver’s name. See my tracker for the 2020 Hunt to see what I mean.

So ... for the future, I should use the ‘other’ category to label my trackers? Should I even be using a tracker in the first place for my needs? What should I be doing?

I do NOT want my actions to appear on next year’s Festivus: time for the airing of grievances (letterboxing edition) list!

Warrior Woman
wants to know
Re: Misuse of trackers
Reply to: #982083 by Warrior Woman
Dec 30, 2019 7:38am
Thread
I don't blame you at all for using what you see others use and I don't think anyone else would either.

I always believed that Traditional Trackers were for connecting a group of plants that are not a single series. (See https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=9125 )

My personal feeling is that the Other Tracker option is exactly what should be used. It's definitely not a traditional or LTC. While people are mailing stamps, I don't feel it's a Postal, but I can understand why that is sometimes used.
Reply to: #982077 by RIclimber
Dec 30, 2019 7:46am
Thread
Most of the trackers I have been
in....carving a stamp for an event, have just had us list the stamp image on the tracker that we are carving and the organizer listed the plants at the time of the event with us listed as carver. That’s the logical and correct way I would assume? To me this makes sense.

There have been some who have told us to list our box as other as if we were planting a box. To me this makes no sense.
Reply to: #982086 by MissMoon
Dec 30, 2019 8:07am
Thread
If it's listed as an Other Tracker, you can list an Other type box and connect that to the tracker. Then everyone can see what is claimed without waiting for the host to update a table and (more importantly!) without posting messages and spamming everyone's AQ mailbox! See https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=7709 for a perfect example from the list that I've joined.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=6623 is another "Other" Tracker that I joined, used for trading stamps to be planted.
Reply to: #982088 by RIclimber
Dec 31, 2019 6:21am
Thread
Wait. Are we NOT supposed to use traditional trackers for stamp requests? I literally have a search setup to notify of these so that I can see who needs stamps and who I might be able to donate to. I also have an eye / search set up on the stamp request board, but people use that much less.
Reply to: #982116 by Honeychyck
Jan 1, 2020 1:24am
Thread
I also have an eye / search set up on the stamp request board, but people use that much less.

That's a better way of requesting and donating stamps--that's the sole purpose of the feature! And people can be notified of new entries pretty easily. I'm not sure many people have created notifications for a traditional tracker search, although who knows--I could be wrong.

-- Ryan
Tables: question involving spacing
Jan 31, 2020 5:56am
Using wiki:

How do I make a table so that the row is like this:

——

——

The table has 15 lines.

Thanks