A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Wiki Help Discussions

Re: Finding a box after logging an attempt
Board: Wiki Help Discussions
Reply to: #719874 by Kirbert
Aug 3, 2012 11:37am
Thread
It does raise the question of why the attempt was logged in the first place, though. An attempt should only be logged if you are reasonably sure that the box has gone missing. If you were reasonably sure the box had gone missing, why would you go looking for it again?

I know that I've been pretty sure I had exact spot for a box or two and not found it. Logged attempt. Perused my attempts at a later date, saw box had been found, went out again and found box. I then will delete the previous attempt.
Aug 3, 2012 11:51am
Thread
One reason for needing to log a find after logging an attempt on the same box is because the box was actually missing. Then it was replaced by the planter. After it was replaced, the person goes out and finds it.

I see no reason to remove attempts for any reason other than an attempt was not actually made and was logged in error. It's a bit of history.
Aug 3, 2012 1:38pm
Thread
There have been several scenarios:

A box that had difficult directions led me to a spot I thought for sure was the right spot then noticed someone finding it afterwards so went back out to find the box.

Owner pulled the box then replanted.

Muggles muggled the box then owner replanted.
Reply to: #719886 by Quiet Place
Aug 3, 2012 1:40pm
Thread
I agree about the bit of history. When I see the attempts made, then the finds afterwards it gives me an idea that the box may be a bit of a difficult find.
Aug 3, 2012 1:46pm
Thread
It does raise the question of why the attempt was logged in the first place, though.

That's right. It's much safer if you never log an attempt. Most of the time when I think a box is missing, I turn out to be wrong, so I'm not sticking my neck out on that one. So as long as "attempt" = "box missing", logging an attempt can really backfire. I still really want a way to record that I looked for it and didn't find it YET. Like they do with geocaching.
Re: Hi
Reply to: #735655 by System
Oct 4, 2012 2:18pm
Yes, please put it back where you found it. And thank you for caring enough to ask. :)

TG
Re: Paisley pineapple
Reply to: #735662 by System
Oct 4, 2012 2:39pm
Thread
I sent a message directly to her, so hopefully she will be contacting you.

TG
Re: Paisley pineapple
Reply to: #735662 by System
Oct 7, 2012 1:11pm
Thread
Thank you for trying to get my box to me. I tried to email you, but it came back to me as undeliverable.

You can email me at blksqrl2@yahoo.com so that we can figure out how to get the box back to me. Thanks!

PP/Karen
help with email?
Oct 30, 2012 6:00am
Thread
almost every day I get a "wiki help" email in my AQ email box.
first, I dont even know what wiki IS ... (dont laugh) - and i'd really like to NOT get these emails in my AQ box.

Can anyone help me? I can't locate a way to make it stop.
Thanks!

AF/Kat
Re: help with email?
Reply to: #741331 by AutumnsFolly
Oct 30, 2012 6:02am
Thread
Go to your Preferences / Notifications. The 4th question down asks if you want to receive notifications of help page edits. Uncheck that. :)
Re: help with email?
Reply to: #741333 by Dizzy
Oct 30, 2012 6:07am
Thread
I love you Dizzy ... you rock!

:)
Subscripts
Nov 7, 2013 9:31am
Thread
This may or may not be able to be accomplished but was wondering if you can add a subscript to a box name? Just trying to be creative but it is not working :)
Re: Subscripts
Reply to: #814543 by Blue Delft
Nov 7, 2013 1:14pm
Thread
This may or may not be able to be accomplished but was wondering if you can add a subscript to a box name?

No, box names can't have any special formatting. Just the text within the clue can be formatted.

-- Ryan
Re: Subscripts
Reply to: #814569 by Green Tortuga
Nov 7, 2013 1:41pm
Thread
Thanks, Ryan, it was worth a shot! :)
Credit card stumped
Feb 27, 2015 3:47am
Thread
Trying to update my premium membership, but PayPal continually rejects my debit/credit card. Again and again.... even with PLENTY of money in the account. I just got my tax refund. Sending a check asap, but don't know how long it will take.
Re: Credit card stumped
Reply to: #889382 by SeerMeesh
Feb 27, 2015 8:26am
Thread
Trying to update my premium membership, but PayPal continually rejects my debit/credit card.

This is probably too obvious and therefore isn't likely the problem, but check for two things:

1. Double check the expiration date on the card. If it's expired, PayPal obviously won't take it.
  2. If it was a card that was issued by PayPal, somewhat ironically, they won't take it either. I have a PayPal credit/debit card attached to my account, but I suspect they reject their own cards because they have to pay those card fees to Mastercard while paying with funds in your PayPal account essentially costs them nothing. For credit/debit cards to work, they need to be unassociated with PayPal.

Sending a check asap, but don't know how long it will take.

AQ generally gives you about a week grace period specifically for people to send checks, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It gets here when it gets here! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #889382 by SeerMeesh
Feb 27, 2015 11:30am
Thread
Paypal never accepts my Discover card but does accept my Visa card. Sometimes it is how the security on the individual cards is set up. If you contact your cards customer service they should be able to tweak the settings so that it would be accepted. I could do the same thing but just have never gotten around to doing it.
Reply to: #889407 by Green Tortuga
Feb 27, 2015 1:39pm
Thread
It's just weird . It's not expired, nor have I gotten a new one this past year. I used the same card last time I think.... but it's any site connected to PayPal. Not going through PayPal, mind you. I tried resurrecting my old account too, but that didn't help. So I'm back to the dinosaur age of writing and mailing checks. Stupid technology. When will it be like on 5th Element and everything is rolled into one multipass system?
Reply to: #889463 by SeerMeesh
Feb 27, 2015 8:53pm
Thread
You should be asking these questions at Paypal, not here. There's just a slim possibility that somebody has hacked your account or something. You might also contact the credit card company and see if they've put a block on Paypal or whatnot.
Deleting a saved search
Jun 8, 2015 2:20pm
Thread
Before trips I save searches.

Now that the remodeled site is there my choices are Edit and Cancel.

How do I just delete a saved search?
Re: Deleting a saved search
Reply to: #901194 by Granny Butterfly
Jun 8, 2015 2:46pm
Thread
Go to Letterboxes on the toolbar at the top of this page and select My Searches.
A list of your searches will appear.
There's a red X that looks like a close box up by the name of the search. That's the delete search button.
Uploading Signature Stamp
Sep 2, 2015 7:57am
I too am having trouble uploading a small scanned image that is a jpeg and well under 10mb. Please advise.
setting image in image viewer
Sep 6, 2017 10:15pm
Thread
Whenever I type the URL of an image into the image viewer and hit "save", the image doesn't appear and the URL pops up in my RSS feed and replaces what was there. The title that I had in the image viewer transfers over to the RSS feed as well. When I put the URL of my image in the address bar just the picture comes up, so I think the URL is correct. What am I doing wrong?
Re: setting image in image viewer
Reply to: #950983 by SpyCat
Sep 9, 2017 9:30pm
Thread
You aren't doing anything wrong. Just a bug in the code. It's been fixed now! If you edit the Image Viewer options, they should work properly now!

-- Ryan
Line Feed in Clues?
Jan 7, 2018 10:50pm
Thread
So I already had this bookmarked: https://www.atlasquest.com/help/markups.html

... but is there a way to do a line feed? Is there a wiki version of "< br >" ?
Re: Line Feed in Clues?
Reply to: #955313 by Poison Oak
Jan 8, 2018 12:06am
Thread
Is there a wiki version of "< br >" ?

Just hitting the <enter> key will do it. And I know you know that because you did it in this very post I'm replying to! =)

Also, you might check out the "Wiki Help" link found under the "Boards" menubar option. It'll explain some of the available tags in a bit more detail than that overview page does, and it's already "bookmarked" for you directly in the menubar!

-- Ryan
Posting Details?
Feb 7, 2019 1:46am
Thread
I am not even sure if I am posting this on the right board, but where can I find the details of how to make letters bold, add a hyperlink, etc. when posting on a board? Thank you.
Re: Posting Details?
Reply to: #971167 by RDHG
Feb 7, 2019 3:57am
Thread
Go to the Home menu and select Help.
On the right side there is a link for Syntax Help - this is what you want
Reply to: #971168 by SherlockMiles
Feb 7, 2019 5:28am
Thread
Thank you, SherlockMiles! That is exactly what I was seeking. 👍
Reply to: #971167 by RDHG
Feb 7, 2019 3:04pm
Thread
You'll also find a link for it in the dropdown for the Boards menubar option. (Wiki help)

-- Ryan