About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Garden Gnomes

last year's flower seeds
Board: Garden Gnomes
Apr 3, 2011 3:16pm
Thread
Will last year's flower seeds still grow if I sow them this year?
Re: last year's flower seeds
Reply to: #596917 by SpyCat
Apr 3, 2011 3:29pm
Thread
Probably, but maybe not as fertile as last year, and it depends on how they were stored. We have planted seeds that were 5 years old with good results. The seeds lived in the basement until they were planted.
Reply to: #596917 by SpyCat
Apr 3, 2011 6:02pm
Thread
Absolutely! I have just germinated some 5 year old seed under my grow light set. I have 24 plants (veg and flower) right now...all from 2-5 year old seed.

The germination rate goes down each year but the seeds remain viable for a very long time. As long as the seed has been kept in a relatively dry place you should be ok.

I buy the seeds on sale for a few cents a pack each year and hang onto them until I use them up. If you ever want to get serious about saving seed you can keep them in glassine envelopes inside a jar with one of those silica gel packs--aka those little packages that say "do not eat" in the box when you buy shoes and stuff...

Eeeek, had to stop myself...more than you asked for. :0)

OPH
Reply to: #596953 by One Particular Harbor
Apr 3, 2011 8:25pm
Thread
Thanks for your replies! I guess as long as the temperature extremes in my mud room haven't ruined them, I'll have a nice flower bed!
boxelder bugs
Apr 13, 2011 2:29pm
Thread
Has anyone tried to get rid of these bugs? I've only seen a few inside this spring but there are lots outside, especially on the front south windows. I don't really want to kill them, but wish they would stay away from the inside of my house.
Re: boxelder bugs
Reply to: #599361 by prairie dog
Apr 13, 2011 2:34pm
Thread
We had a horrible infestation of box elders a few years ago. You can spray them with a combination of dish soap and water which will make then unable to fly and reproduce. Good luck!
Apr 13, 2011 6:24pm
Thread
They really do not want to be inside, they get in by accident. They climb on the house to warm themselves and wander in. Fill cracks and check for loose screens. They will disperse when it warms up.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG0998.html
Reply to: #599406 by ona journey
Apr 13, 2011 7:34pm
Thread
No, but we have an infestation of large brown beetle-looking bugs. I have never seen them before this year. They also are mostly found on windows and window frames. Anybody else have them? I'm in Ohio. -Rose
Apr 13, 2011 7:44pm
Thread
I saw thousands of those bugs when I was looking for a letterbox the other day. They were litterally EVERYWHERE!
Reply to: #599406 by ona journey
Apr 13, 2011 8:16pm
Thread
Thanks for all the good info. I guess I'll just wait it out and try to work on getting windows and doorways more sealed before fall. I was pretty disgusted with the one taunting me from the side of my diet coke just now when I looked up from the computer screen.
Reply to: #599421 by Rosmarinus
Apr 14, 2011 5:17am
Thread
No, but we have an infestation of large brown beetle-looking bugs. I have never seen them before this year.

Could they be Japanese beetles? I don't know if you guys get those in Ohio but we get tons of them and they eat my bushes!
Reply to: #599421 by Rosmarinus
Apr 14, 2011 6:30am
Thread
Rose - could they be stink bugs? They are predicting high numbers of these this year.
Reply to: #599476 by drexel girls
Apr 14, 2011 9:32am
Thread
could they be stink bugs? They are predicting high numbers of these this year.

Oh, your kidding!! My garden get plagued with them. Hate those things. They totally destoy any vine plant I have out there. :S

Plan A - Keep blow touch handy and get them EARLY!
squash bugs
Apr 15, 2011 7:11am
Thread
I'm frustrated at the "squash" bugs that have invaded my garden the last 3 years and kill my zucchini, butternut, and pumpkin plants right when they are starting to produce. I try to garden organically but am ready to try anything to get rid of these pests. Is there anything I can put in the soil before I plant, or something to use to kill the bugs that won't be absorbed into the plants? Any suggestions are welcome and thanks!
Re: squash bugs
Reply to: #599786 by Red Bird
Apr 15, 2011 7:59am
Thread
Squash bugs feed mainly on the leaves. Squash vine borer might be the problem. The adults are large moths that lay eggs near the stem base. The larva stage do the damage inside the stem and cause the plant to wilt and die. You can wrap the stems with foil to protect them. Sevin or Eight dust will work the best, do not dust the whole plant, just the stem near the base, only need a small amount, every 5-7 days. No there is nothing you can put in the soil to kill the insects. Crop rotation also helps or not planting vine crops for a few years. Squash bugs show up later and feed on the leaves and "fruit" of the plant. They can be controlled with Sevin and Eight dust also.

http://entomology.unl.edu/charts/sqvinbor.shtml
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1208.html
Reply to: #599799 by ona journey
Apr 15, 2011 9:56am
Thread
This is great information. It's the squash vine borer. I have 3 garden beds and have been rotating and composting every year. I love the tin foil idea and will try the sevin and eight dust. Thank you for the links also.
Reply to: #599828 by Red Bird
Apr 15, 2011 10:53am
Thread
I have the squash bugs, so thanks for that link. I had not heard about putting them into a pail of soapy water. Now I'll know when to start looking for them (June).
Reply to: #599476 by drexel girls
Apr 15, 2011 10:57am
Thread
Rose - could they be stink bugs? They are predicting high numbers of these this year.

Thanks Nancy! They are stink bugs- I looked them up online. Do you have any?
Reply to: #599799 by ona journey
Apr 15, 2011 1:11pm
Thread
Eeeks! Mine are squash bugs not stink bugs! No wonder I can't get rid of them. I using the wrong stuff!

Thanks for the link!
Reply to: #599828 by Red Bird
Apr 15, 2011 2:52pm
Thread
If you want to get rid of the borers organically, there are several options. Sevin dust is not an organic pesticide, and may be harmful to your bees and other polinators. Here is a link at Garden's Alive, which specializes in organic options.
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=804

I have injected the stems with BT and found it to work well if I can catch it early enough.

Sameera
Reply to: #599855 by Rosmarinus
Apr 18, 2011 6:12am
Thread
Well at least now you know what you have. I'm sorry it's stink bugs!! I don't have them yet, but I am expecting them. Ugh!! I thought last year was bad with nasty bugs and I have a feeling this year is going to be worse. =(
Jumping the gun...
Apr 18, 2011 8:57am
Thread
Well, I may be jumping the gun but I put out a dozen begonias yesterday. I'm wondering if I should be following the new USDA zone charts or just go with the old familiar ones. I went with the new ones...and am crossing my fingers. :0)

Also, got two pots (free!) of nearly dead trailing pansies that the were throwing away at wal-mart...two days later they look amazing. I think I'll start asking every time I go!

So much to do and so little cash for the plants I want! I bought a six pack of coleus and cut it into pieces to make new plants. Anyone else do this? Any other plants that are easy to do?

Happy Gardening!

oph
Re: Jumping the gun...
Reply to: #600470 by One Particular Harbor
Apr 18, 2011 8:17pm
Thread
Swedish ivy is a container plant that's easy to divide and propagate by cuttings. It's great for hanging baskets.

dp
Veg. garden planting
May 13, 2011 5:29am
Thread
When does your soil warm up enough to plant in your veggie garden?

Here in Maine, we can finally start planting greens. We really need to save the seedlings until the end of May, first of June.
Re: Veg. garden planting
Reply to: #606077 by Tri-Colored Paws
May 13, 2011 5:32am
Thread
the rest of that was tried Beets and onions so far in a raised bed that is draining.
well.
Reply to: #606078 by Granny Butterfly
May 13, 2011 6:04am
Thread
I'm outside of Buffalo, and rule of thum here is to wait until Memorial day before you plant warm weather crops. I jumped the gun this year and got everything in this week!
May 13, 2011 6:45am
Thread
In Minnesota it varies, last frost date in our area is about May 10th. Usually I can put out cool weather crops like peas and broccoli in early May (if I get around to it!) Tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. get planted around Memorial Day.
May 13, 2011 6:51am
Thread
In middle TN, we can usually start planting mid to late April. I have been picking strawberries for a few days now and they have been so sweet and juicy. It must be from all the rain we have had this spring. But I know the weeds will be horrific soon. Good luck with your garden this season. There is nothing like fresh produce :)
Reply to: #606080 by LuLaHe
May 13, 2011 7:05am
Thread
Thumb, that is...as in green!
May 13, 2011 7:24am
Thread
My neighbor is already eating peas from the garden. My green beens are about 8" tall, tomatoes are about 1' tall, one row of okra is up. I usually start to plant the first weekend in April and end up having to cover stuff a week later. I'm in N GA.