A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Kudos on BOTW
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 16, 2020 4:37pm
Thread
Kudos to Rocklun on BOTW ...
Well deserved, and one of the prettiest areas that all my boxing sojourns has taken me to.
Re: Kudos on BOTW
Reply to: #983527 by west dover quidditch team
Feb 16, 2020 6:36pm
Thread
Thanks, T! Jynx's carves are awesome!
Drive-by thefts
Feb 16, 2020 8:45pm
Thread
My family and I enjoy finding drive-by boxes in the different states we visit. We thought to continue this fun we would plant drive-by boxes in each state we visit now that we are confident enough to carve and plant our own. In the last two years, I’ve had to retire three boxes that have mysteriously walked. Two of which didn’t even last a full year in their hiding places. Has anyone else been discouraged from planting because of this? I know I could plant on longer hikes to get the boxes farther away from muggles, but half the fun of road trips are these quick finds we can get while stretching our legs. I’ve got the standard “This is NOT Trash!....” notice clearly visible from the outside, but it doesn’t seem to help.
Re: Drive-by thefts
Reply to: #983545 by Honeyrunners
Feb 17, 2020 12:57am
Thread
Times I have been discouraged. But later I learned it is one of the risks of the game and to try and plant better. Still doesn’t stop them from disappearing. Out in the wild critters sometime carry them off.
Feb 17, 2020 4:04am
Thread
While I mostly plant on hikes in the woods, I do occasionally plant drive-bys when I'm visiting an urban area. Since they're very likely to go missing quickly, I don't put much effort into the stamp or logbook. I also don't use my expensive LnLs.

But as Baqash said, critters will sometimes mess with boxes that are hidden in the woods. I was using shoelaces to hang film canisters on hemlocks, but it turns out that little rodents like to chew up shoelaces to line their nests! So the canister falls and can sometimes get lost in the leaf/needle litter.

That said, most of the hundreds of boxes I've planted in the woods are still in place, as opposed to my drive-bys. That's just the way it is.
Feb 17, 2020 6:13am
Thread
but half the fun of road trips are these quick finds we can get while stretching our legs.

So true, Please don’t stop. On long trips it is refreshing to stop a bit to move around and find a box. And when it’s associated with a history lesson all the better.
Reply to: #983550 by Rocklun
Feb 17, 2020 6:15am
Thread
I was using shoelaces to hang film canisters on hemlocks

Not meaning to change the topic of this thread, but what do you use now to hold film canisters in bushes/trees. I have two ready to go.
Reply to: #983555 by BinoBoxer
Feb 17, 2020 6:18am
Thread
Not meaning to change the topic of this thread, but what do you use now to hold film canisters in bushes/trees.

I haven't planted any hanging boxes since I discovered this, BB!!
Re: Drive-by thefts/ attaching containers to trees
Feb 17, 2020 7:21am
Thread
I have used strong fishing line. Drilled a small hole in the lid, made a good sized knot inside lid with the line, then used a glue gun to seal the hole inside and out from moisture. Tightly attach the line to a branch, and instruct to unscrew container, leaving lid attached.
Re: Drive-by thefts/ attaching containers to trees
Reply to: #983562 by sojourner
Feb 17, 2020 7:25am
Thread
ps. I used plastic spice jars from the dollar store (they contained spice and I saved the jars). They allow for a rolled up logbook and can be camo-sprayed.
Feb 17, 2020 8:18am
Thread
Not meaning to change the topic of this thread, but what do you use now to hold film canisters in bushes/trees. I have two ready to go.

You could put the them inside one of those cage thingies that bird suet comes in. They hang on branches really well.

If you can find the right tree, you could just wedge the canister into the crotch of the tree and cover it really well. That would be really secure. But that would depend on finding the right tree where you need it to be.

Thin wire in place of shoelaces? Just saw that post above. Yeah, wire. lol
Feb 17, 2020 8:24am
Thread
I’ve got the standard “This is NOT Trash!....” notice clearly visible from the outside, but it doesn’t seem to help.

I have never done that. I don't think it makes much difference most of the time and some people may even trash it because it says that.

Drive-bys, urban boxes, semi-urban boxes. They can be short lived depending on how well they are hidden, etc. Lots of factors. It's a chance we take sometimes. Micro containers are best, hide really well. Playgrounds, beaches, boardwalks, tiny city parks, parking lots. They are hit or miss sometimes.
Feb 17, 2020 9:03am
Thread
I’ve got the standard “This is NOT Trash!....” notice clearly visible from the outside, but it doesn’t seem to help.

I included my email address in the logbook of a letterbox. The box was found by a father and son looking for golf balls next to a golf course. I explained what it was and that it should be put back. They did.

I don't think that I got a recruit to letterboxing (because I haven't heard of them since), but at least I got my box and stamp back. It is an email account using my trail name. Gmail lets you create an account with any name, so that is what I did. I also have an email program that lets me deal with multiple accounts through the same mail program.

I now put my email address in all of my logbooks. I don't know if it will help in the future, but it helped at least once.
Feb 17, 2020 9:52am
Thread
what do you use now to hold film canisters in bushes/trees.

I suggest solid (not stranded) copper wire. You can twist it around the container and form a hook out of the end, and when hanging you can bend it a bit to secure it. Critters don't chew it. Once tarnished a bit, it's brown and fairly camoed -- but if you can get wire with black insulation on it, even better.
Re: Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Reply to: #983449 by Kirbert
Feb 17, 2020 11:16am
Thread
Check out the Harry Potter version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjUf8HpnQM

Also, you can find lots of people acting out the Badger song in live action. They are hilarious!

SueKuKu
who now cannot get the song out of her head, again
Feb 17, 2020 1:33pm
Thread

I'll frequently attach film canisters or diabetic tester strip containers (the best) to a wooden clothes pin with tiny zip ties then spray paint the whole affair green or brown depending. Then just pin them to a branch. They stay put - I haven't had a critter make off with one yet. I cant say the same thing for straight hangers (wire), which I only use for heavier hanging boxes.

To the OP, I consider the occasional loss part of the price of playing the game.
Reply to: #983565 by MissMoon
Feb 17, 2020 1:52pm
Thread
Micro containers are best, hid really well.

Micro containers are good but I think the best drive-bys are concealed in faux rocks. I forget who, but one of you genius boxers out there, makes these rocks that encase a sturdy box. Turn over the rock and there is the box! I'm guessing these "rockses with boxes" don't disappear as quickly as some other drive-bys.
Reply to: #983575 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 17, 2020 2:02pm
Thread
I'll frequently attach film canisters or diabetic tester strip containers [....]

But then there isn't much space for a log. Do you even have a log?
Reply to: #983575 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 17, 2020 3:24pm
Thread
...with tiny zip ties...

The minor issue with zip ties is that, if exposed to sunlight, they will dry out and crumble. It'll take a while, though.
Reply to: #983576 by Quite Contrary
Feb 17, 2020 3:26pm
Thread
Micro containers are good but I think the best drive-bys are concealed in faux rocks.

I have never hidden one and never found one. In what kind of spot did you use them?

I’ve seen film canisters shoved just under the surface of soil with a real rock on top. Stamp was inside a tiny plastic bag and stayed pretty dry. No logbook.
Reply to: #983576 by Quite Contrary
Feb 17, 2020 3:31pm
Thread
I think the best drive-bys are concealed in faux rocks.

I dunno if it's the same idea, but some geocachers around here have figured out how to make faux rocks using "Great Stuff" which is an aerosol foam insulation product for sealing up leaks in your house. Available at Lowe's or HD. Basically, just spray it all over your container and it'll foam up into a rock-shaped blob. Only problem is ever getting your container open again. You've gotta plan accordingly. It may or may not need painting, depending on the color of the rocks in nature in your area.

Note that once you start using a can of Great Stuff, you might as well continue to use up the can. If you cap it and store it away, it's typically plugged up next time you try to use it. You might try cleaning out the nozzle before storing it.

Also note that Great Stuff is really a foaming polyurethane product. Another foaming polyurethane product is Gorilla Glue. If you use Gorilla Glue, you will notice the similarity.
Re: Drive-by thefts/faux rocks
Reply to: #983585 by MissMoon
Feb 17, 2020 3:58pm
Thread
I've found a few faux-rock boxes by LCAB along I-95 on the way to and from FL....very realistic looking.
Here's her tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xRygVcR0I&feature=share
Reply to: #983587 by sojourner
Feb 17, 2020 4:00pm
Thread
Okay, who else just bookmarked this?!
Reply to: #983577 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 17, 2020 4:32pm
Thread
But then there isn't much space for a log. Do you even have a log?

I was simply answering the question regarding the best way to hang a film canister.

As for my own solutions, I have two that I’ve used in the past.
1. Glue the stamp to the bottom of the 35 mm container (Here in California the weather is mild, I haven’t had any erosion yet and some have been out for a couple of years exposed) and put a rolled up log inside (think register tape). Or...
2. Tape two containers end to end, put the stamp in one and the rolled log in the other. In this case I made a long skinny “folding” stamp.
Feb 17, 2020 4:40pm
Thread
I have found several of these fake rocks. Fabulous!
Feb 17, 2020 4:44pm
Thread
I've seen pipecleaners used.
Reply to: #983584 by Kirbert
Feb 17, 2020 4:46pm
Thread
I only use these for hangers in trees with lots of foliage so not a lot direct sunlight. My longest one out (geocache) as I write this is about 4 years or so and still going strong.

Re: fake rock expanding foam, I made one and put it out and it lasted for over 5 years before it walked off.
Feb 17, 2020 5:20pm
Thread
I've found a few faux-rock boxes by LCAB along I-95 on the way to and from FL....very realistic looking.
Here's her tutorial:

Those look really great but I am totally willing to admit that I am way too lazy to do that. lol And I'm afraid my crafty abilities don't go much beyond carving stamps and making logbooks. lol But mostly I admit I'm just too lazy. Kudos to her for doing it!
Reply to: #983592 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 17, 2020 5:59pm
Thread
I made one and put it out and it lasted for over 5 years before it walked off.

We now know what causes rocks to "walk" off. (The second video is more interesting but unrealistic, until the end.)
Re: Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Reply to: #983572 by KuKu
Feb 17, 2020 9:26pm
Thread
Does anyone know where I would have heard the badger song way back when? I was sure my grown kids would have remembered it but they don't. That's a first, that I remember something that they don't. I'm thinking maybe a cartoon or something since we wouldn't have had a computer back then.