Thread
“I’m going to meet some total strangers I met online and go into the woods.”

The thing we told our children never to do
Re: Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #983115 by Topcollector
Feb 12, 2020 9:31am
Thread
That reminded me of the partial dead deer...

Which part was dead?

Old Blue
Reply to: #983394 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Feb 12, 2020 9:51am
Thread
I guess I worded that badly. And oddly enough I can't remember, I just remember my boxing buddy freaking out a bit over having a deer part laying in our path.
Reply to: #983395 by Topcollector
Feb 12, 2020 11:32am
Thread
I was once taking a group of Brownie Scouts out on their first letterboxing outing. I had just spent time going over Leave No Trace and staying on the trail except when retrieving the letterbox. I'm leading them down the trail and I see the trail is blocked by a mostly skeletized deer. I calmly stop and explain the situation to the girls and that they should follow me off the trail (not an easy task) to get around the deer. After we got around, we had to stop and look at the skeleton, of course. Except for the one drama princess who kept exclaiming she was so freaked out (not really), they were all really interested and for the rest of the trip kept asking if we could go back and see the dead deer. When they filled out the survey at the end of the program, the girls answered that their favorite part of the program was "the dead deer". The leaders would not write that down so the form only said "the deer that they saw"... This was at least 6 years ago now and I still run into members of that troop that still like to tell the story!
Reply to: #983394 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Feb 12, 2020 11:44am
Thread
What do you call a deer with no eyes?

reed eye oN

What do you call a deer with no eyes and dead?

reed eye on llitS

What do you call a deer, cut in half, dead and no eyes?

reed eye on flah llitS

What do you call a deer, cut in half, dead, no eyes and no testicles?

reed eye gin%&*f on flah llitS

(submitted for you approval from my preacher-boy nephew)
Feb 12, 2020 11:49am
Thread
I just remember my boxing buddy freaking out a bit over having a deer part laying in our path.

The thing to freak out about, seriously, is that whatever carried off the first half might return for the rest and find you instead...
Reply to: #983113 by Topcollector
Feb 12, 2020 2:26pm
Thread
I have had a similar experience. One thing I always enjoyed about my career was that I get to travel locally all around, so I would keep some drive by clues handy for a lunch find. Last late summer, I found myself in my work clothes getting wet and muddy from slipping along the bank of the creek the drive by I was looking for was located. As if on cue, getting back to my truck, I get a call from my boss telling me he will meet me at another site in an hour. Luckily, many sites I go to are unfinished construction sites, explaining away getting dirty is not that hard to do. Now I keep an extra set of clothes just because I can get dirty on job sites. I know it is not that weird, for a story. Nothing really beats having the cops called on you because you have a resemblance of the composite sketch left at the trail head.
Reply to: #983403 by Summerfun
Feb 12, 2020 7:10pm
Thread
Topcollector wrote:

I'm leading them down the trail and I see the trail is blocked by a mostly skeletized deer.

Summerfun wrote:

The thing to freak out about, seriously, is that whatever carried off the first half might return for the rest and find you instead...

Since it was "mostly skeletized" then what had done the damage is long gone. It has '''probably''' moved to another area. I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd be watching anyway. Such a large group would likely be safe.
Reply to: #983402 by Grrly Girl
Feb 12, 2020 9:24pm
Thread
What do you call a girl with no eyes?

A grl
Reply to: #983416 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 13, 2020 10:00am
Thread
I was at a Girl Scout Camp and not too far from the road. We suspect the deer might have been injured by a car and died of its wounds. There are coyotes and bobcats that have been spotted in the area, but nothing that would attack a group our size. I also suspect the animals know better than to come into camp when the girls are there...they can be pretty loud! The only time I see animals there is when I'm with adults checking boxes - they tend to be pretty skittish.

LL
Feb 13, 2020 12:40pm
Thread
Alas, you have confounded your carcasses. I replied to Topcollector who found half a dead deer. ‘Twas Lowland Lass and her wee Bonnie Brownies who found the bones of Bambi.
Reply to: #982672 by jaguarpaws
Feb 13, 2020 3:35pm
Thread
One of the funniest, and weirdest, things that happened to me in Letterboxing was hunting for a mangled Barbie near a quarry, in the dark, in Missouri somewhere . . .
weird . . . but fun :-P

OR - the time Deniserows and I came across the head of a badger - just the head. Denise was worried about other badgers being in the area - I was worried about whatever had been BA enough to rip a badgers head off!!

Good Memories :-)
Reply to: #983439 by Dezert Ratty
Feb 13, 2020 6:23pm
Thread
Any letterboxing story that includes the words "Deniserows and I" is bound to be interesting. Ask her about the time we went out boxing in Texas and she had two different boots on because she couldn't find a matching pair in her truck.
Reply to: #983438 by Summerfun
Feb 13, 2020 8:20pm
Thread
Indeed, I mixed my metaphors, metaphorically. ;-)
Reply to: #983158 by thndrkttn
Feb 13, 2020 8:26pm
Thread
So glad I was by myself the day you muggled me in a cemetery .. lol ..
Feb 13, 2020 8:37pm
Thread
Safety in numbers unless you're the slowest member.
Feb 13, 2020 8:43pm
Thread
I came across the head of a badger - just the head.

Badgers‽
Reply to: #983447 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 13, 2020 8:47pm
Thread
Oberon_Kenobi - we actually sang this song . . . .
https://youtu.be/6joOVjEemh4

LOL
Reply to: #983448 by Dezert Ratty
Feb 13, 2020 8:53pm
Thread
Well, there's 2:54 I'll never get back...
Reply to: #982672 by jaguarpaws
Feb 13, 2020 9:02pm
Thread
My weirdest adventures have all been while boxing with Brenda of RGANG!!

While driving through Pennsylvania doing Rest area boxes, the Highway Patrol pulls us over because she didn't use her turn signal while switching lanes to avoid him walking near his car on I-80E. He wants both of our ids since it's my truck. He has her come back to his car so he can question her. She finally tells him about letterboxing because he wants to know how someone from Ohio is traveling with someone from California. Ends up he had a drug sniffing dog and was hoping we were transporting drugs from California to New York. Needless to say -- Nope to Dope!!

In Florida, one Thanksgiving, we were going to a letterbox behind a rock statue at a church and someone called the cops because we were circling the church at night time. Needed both of our ids that time too. Got away without explaining letterboxing.

We were at a pet cemetery near Napa, California. I had been there 2 years earlier and the bridge to this little island where a box is hidden was missing. This time the ground looked dry. I gingerly stepped with my right foot, then with my left foot, then with my right foot .... whoops - left foot buried to just above my knee (about 3 feet) and now right foot 2 feet down in front of it. Sucking mud under the dry crust on top. I yell for Brenda and she helps get me turned around and out without losing my shoes - I wouldn't have been able to get out if I was alone!! Thank you high top tennis shoes with knots tied. The smell was bad - trashed them right away.

Fun adventures.
Reply to: #983448 by Dezert Ratty
Feb 13, 2020 9:06pm
Thread
Well, the verses are pretty easy to remember... lol!
Reply to: #983449 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2020 9:44pm
Thread
Well, there's 2:54 I'll never get back...

Well - we just sang the first stanza :-P

LOL
Reply to: #983450 by LCAB
Feb 13, 2020 9:45pm
Thread
Ends up he had a drug sniffing dog and was hoping we were transporting drugs from California to New York. Needless to say -- Nope to Dope!!

Did you tell him about all of the huffing you do? ;-)
Reply to: #983449 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2020 11:41pm
Thread
play it at double speed
doesn't get better
just faster and done
Feb 14, 2020 7:58pm
Thread
I've hunted for some of those dead Barbies too. Epidemic that started in Missouri at my first event. Spread to Illinois and elsewhere. What fun and laughs.
Reply to: #983456 by Grrly Girl
Feb 14, 2020 8:15pm
Thread
This is the best thread ever. Tells you how exciting my life is, I'm sitting here laughing like a loon. Husband's ignoring me.
Reply to: #983475 by Topcollector
Feb 15, 2020 11:35am
Thread
I've hunted for some of those dead Barbies too. Epidemic that started in Missouri

Yep - all started with the Barbie I handed Shorty at that Event . . .🐭☠🐭☠🐭☠🐭👀🐭
SOHT Returns
Feb 15, 2020 2:19pm
Thread
After a 2-year hiatus we have again scheduled SOHT-Southern Ohio Haunted Trails-here in southern Ohio for October! Unfortunately our carver has carpal tunnel & we are asking for some "extra/leftover" stamps to use.If you want to lend us a series or a stamp we would gladly return it/them.If you want to donate we will put them to good use afterwards.Either way we will pay for postage for everything!!Just let us know/the general theme is "Good Friends!Good Times!!"
Feb 15, 2020 4:54pm
Thread
Addendum: My daughter reminded--it was a hoof.
Re: SOHT Returns
Reply to: #983494 by R gang
Feb 16, 2020 4:17am
Thread
Oh, lots of people are going to be excited about this!