A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Any Concentrated Areas?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #982367 by MichKathy
Jan 7, 2020 3:58pm
Thread
RDHG, if you make it THAT far … well, Crown Hill in Indy is just a hop, skip and a jump!
Re: Letterboxing Goals for New Year 2020
Reply to: #982265 by Moon Jelly
Jan 7, 2020 6:50pm
Thread
Chrysaora:
- Plant my first box (I did this yesterday! One goal down!)

YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!

- Plant two more boxes

My goal is to get you to plant more than two boxes! Or at least do a lot more carving and *I'll* plant the boxes. You are too talented, my friend, to let that Speedy Carve (and Speedy-Cut) just sit there.
Reply to: #982369 by Team Awesome Pants
Jan 8, 2020 3:34am
Thread
Talk about a cemetery trifecta!

Greenview in Columbus, Spring Grove in Cinci, and Crown Hill in Indy...not to mention many others in the general SW Ohio area!!
Reply to: #982369 by Team Awesome Pants
Jan 8, 2020 4:02am
Thread
Good to know!
Reply to: #982377 by Mama Stork
Jan 8, 2020 4:02am
Thread
I was noticing that when I searched. That might need to be a longer trip, eh? 😉
Logbook Plants
Jan 16, 2020 8:57am
Thread
I can understand why some folks hide their finds list from view, but for those of you who hide your plants list in your logbook, could you explain why you do that? Thank you for your insight.
Tea
Re: Logbook Plants
Reply to: #982587 by Teacup
Jan 16, 2020 10:32am
Thread
I can't answer for people who actively choose to hide their plants and finds, but for new people, the default is for them to be hidden. Some people may not even realize that you can change that.

TG
Reply to: #982587 by Teacup
Jan 16, 2020 10:45am
Thread
Now I'm wondering, if you "hide" plants in your logbook, but don't have restrictions on the box, do they still show up in searches for the area they are in? If not, then hidden plants, even when not otherwise restricted, would be un-findable, because no one could see them?
Reply to: #982591 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 16, 2020 10:55am
Thread
Now I'm wondering, if you "hide" plants in your logbook, but don't have restrictions on the box, do they still show up in searches for the area they are in?

They do still show up in searches even if the plant page in your logbook is marked private. I set my plant page to private, logged out, checked the city directory search and my boxes still showed.
Reply to: #982590 by Trekkie Gal
Jan 16, 2020 12:15pm
Thread
I can't answer for people who actively choose to hide their plants and finds, but for new people, the default is for them to be hidden.

The plants page isn't hidden by default since they can still show up in searches anyhow. And it seems odd to let people list letterboxes then not allow them to show up in searches!

So the plants page is the only one that isn't hidden by default, and even for those who do decide to hide it--there's no way to prevent people from running a search for that planter. It might make it a little bit more time consuming (and inconvenient) for people to look up someone's plants but it won't stop them from doing it.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982596 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2020 6:09am
Thread
I love to look up certain boxers and try to locate their plants, especially if I am in the area. I am amazed the places some boxers have been and planted for others to find. I have found many historical and interesting areas to letterbox. I so enjoyed locating some boxes of a gentleman who passed away. I have learned a lot of history through letterboxing that I otherwise would have not know about just by reading the clues, etc. There are states and countries that I may never visit but I can through these letterboxes and the written clues.
Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Jan 19, 2020 5:34am
Thread
I’m sure this has been posted before, but I’ve got nothing else to do than carve a quick stamp & work on art commissions today. Anyways, what are your weirdest stories from your letterboxing adventures? Strange happenings, stuff you found instead of a box, odd places?
Re: Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Reply to: #982672 by jaguarpaws
Jan 19, 2020 6:52am
Thread
Probably not the type of happening you were looking for, but here goes:

Went to an event with two boxing friends about 1000 miles from home.
There was a person there that kept asking me to exchange, but never seemed to have their stamp with them.
Well, after this happened about three times I started to get a stalking vibe from the other person.
I can't pinpoint what it was, but I was sure I never wanted to be alone with that person, nor did I want to interact in any way with them.

Might just be me, but my guard is up until I know you as a face to face friend.
Reply to: #982673 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 7:23am
Thread
Oh my. That’s really unnerving, I’m sorry to hear that!
Jan 19, 2020 8:32am
Thread
Last summer, TCP and I were on the coast hunting for boxes and there was one in a very public spot. We were able to swipe it without anyone noticing but all of a sudden appeared this one lady wouldn’t stop watching us so we could put it back. It wasn’t a “she’s looking again” it was a “she won’t stop starring”. We went for a walk almost half a mile down the board walk and she would positioned herself so she could keep an eye on us and even got out of her car for a better view. Super weird. We finally gave up after an hour of hanging around/exploring and took the box for a short ride in search for another box a few miles away.
We were able to put it back about an hour later after we left when the lady was finally gone. But it was very weird.
Reply to: #982673 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 9:07am
Thread
Then there was the time that I was finishing a letterbox series with a boxing friend, but we were in two separate cars. We get to the parking lot to head to the next adventure and a young man pulls up into the lot and gets out of his car holding a pistol. Scary.

(we got away fine but he started shooting at a target before i got all the way out of the lot).
Reply to: #982677 by Damselfly
Jan 19, 2020 9:36am
Thread
That’s super creepy! Sometimes I wonder what people who aren’t familiar with the hobby think when they see someone nosing around in a bush or whatnot. Probably not good things.
Reply to: #982680 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 19, 2020 9:38am
Thread
That’s.. unpleasant. It’s good that you got out safely!
Jan 19, 2020 9:52am
Thread
I have an irrational fear of any type of power source or combustible. Fifteen years ago or so, I was boxing in The Great Swamp here in RI, the trail I was on passed near high tension wires which already made me uncomfortable. I passed that section of the trail, tooling along another quarter mile, and I thought I heard a faint buzzing up ahead, but pretty far off. All I could think of was that a live electrical line was down somewhere along the trail. At that point I proceeded with extreme caution. The buzzing got louder and louder, and up ahead, I could see a faint black blotch shimmering off to the left of the trail. Tiptoeing a little closer ... then the smell hit me. The large dead whale that had washed ashore two weeks ago was dismembered, transported, and buried by the Department of Environmental Management in The Great Swamp to decompose. The flies were in the millions, happily buzzing away.

Warrior Woman
still shudders
Jan 19, 2020 10:18am
Thread
Maybe not weirdest....

Last spring, while heading for a box, the trail had one of those narrow, low, balance beam type walkways. Being a retired PE teacher, I figured this would be easy....I began the walkover, then suddenly stopped, lost my balance and went right into the drink! I was lucky as the water was low and I missed the stumps within. I got up and moved along through the bushes; figuring I would dry off. I was not to be defeated, as I was well into the hike, I moved on but later fell forward and bruised my knee. At this point, retired was beginning to take on a different meaning. I reached the overlook in good time and made it back to the car safe and dry, with a few bruises!
Reply to: #982683 by Warrior Woman
Jan 19, 2020 10:19am
Thread
WOW Warrior Woman this one will be hard to beat!!!!!!
Jan 19, 2020 11:11am
Thread
We went to a cemetery to find a series of boxes that I had planted just the day before. My daughter was not with me when I planted them and she wanted to test my clues. On Box number 2, she bent down to find the Box and saw this large foil tray under the branches of a nearby bush of what looked like raw meat...it was more like organs....and she really got the heebie-jeebies-so I went and looked too, and, SAME!! gross😯
Reply to: #982680 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 19, 2020 12:17pm
Thread
Forgot about that one.
For sure worse than the you, me and SD20 stalker.

Did I tell you about the hunter with the bow and arrow at a preserve?
Loud crashing through the brush. I thought it was a moose so I stood still behind a large tree.

It was a hunter. Turns out hunting was permitted in the preserve.
Now you know why I carry so much "hunter orange" clothing in my car.
Reply to: #982687 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 12:27pm
Thread
Not in the "top this one" category but still makes me chuckle a bit.
Following the clues, we came across a recently and stinky dead deer right on the path.

Since there was another path that could be followed to get to the same box I wrote to the planter to tell about the carcass. Maybe they'd like to mention the other route.
Their reply, "It wasn't there when I planted the box."
Okay. Never mind.

And the box with the four inch slug living on it, was the slug there when they planted? Yucky.
Jan 19, 2020 1:08pm
Thread
Well, there was the maggot covered pouch under the large monument in the cemetery...that was a bit of a surprise. Still got the box. No amateur me! Mailbox on a post in middle of woods...no mail - I looked, I could go on.....lol.
Jan 19, 2020 2:03pm
Thread
I was in a city park looking for a box near a little lake. It was a very busy place, so I was casually circling the area waiting for people to go away so I could look in the hiding spot. I passed a group of people a couple times who would not leave the area! They were just kind of milling around behind a bush.

On about my third time past them, they motioned me over and explained that they were the family of a guy who was about to propose to his girlfriend and they were hiding in the bushes so they wouldn't blow the secret. They really wanted a photo of the special moment, but knew the girlfriend would spot any one of them and get suspicious, so they asked if I'd take one of their phones and be the camera person.

I agreed and they handed over the phone and gave me a basic description of the couple and the dog they were walking. They were super grateful, so they handed me $20 (I made money letterboxing!). I utilized my stealth skills and casually positioned myself near the proposal location. I casually held "my" phone in the right direction and got the photo--and one of their dog jumping all over the place because he was so excited that they were so excited.

It made me think I should create a proposal photography business to finance my letterboxing!

(And I got the box in the end.)
Reply to: #982683 by Warrior Woman
Jan 19, 2020 2:25pm
Thread
Holy crap. That is probably the most disturbing and off-putting response I have gotten so far! Thank you for sharing. Hopefully no one else runs into a decomposing whale while letterboxing.
Reply to: #982677 by Damselfly
Jan 19, 2020 2:59pm
Thread
Maybe she saw you and was waiting for you to put the box back so that she could find it. Did you ask her which way is north? 🤣
Reply to: #982700 by RDHG
Jan 19, 2020 3:46pm
Thread
We thought about it but she wasnt a very approachable looking person. Lol!
Jan 20, 2020 12:24pm
Thread
Years ago, a few of us were in a park, sunny weekend day, lots of people picnicking, swimming on the river, etc. We were on a wide paved path, when a police car came down the path and parked. Someone waved them over. A little later, we went to one of the parking lots (clues for series took us back and forth) and saw ambulance, fire engine, cops, and a local channel tv van.

Turns out the river was high and current was fast, someone went swimming and was drowning and two more people drowned, trying to save them.

I did watch the news that night and found out the details. Very, very sad. And very freaky when the police car showed up. Unfortunately, the three people were already dead by the time the person was waving over the cops.

KuKu