A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: NPR: Does your hobby bring joy
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #981507 by Dawgdok
Nov 30, 2019 12:42pm
Thread
Thanks for this, Dawgdok. I just spent a happy few minutes writing my submission and uploading a picture. They probably won't use it, but just writing about letterboxing brought back lots of great memories and gave me some joy.
Nov 30, 2019 5:15pm
Thread
I submitted my hobby too. Letterboxing of course!
Reply to: #981509 by KatieKat
Nov 30, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
Nice new signature stamp!! Altho I liked seeing the old one too.
Re: Seventh Annual Letterboxing Black Friday Survey
Reply to: #981485 by DS
Nov 30, 2019 6:22pm
Thread
I went to a movie with my dad. (Midway isn't bad, no matter what the critics say.) The only shopping I did was online. :)

TG
Nov 30, 2019 7:27pm
Thread
Hey thanks for the heads up and the link! Very cool. I submitted and I do hope we manage to get it onto the show. I think you sum our hobby up pretty well, wonderful, eccentric, and bonkers in the best way.
Dec 1, 2019 8:11am
Thread
My son and I spent a wonderful afternoon hunting down snowflakes planted by wandaandpete in South County, RI. Followed by a Saturday of urban boxing in Boston and just spending some good quality offline time together. :)
Dec 1, 2019 5:07pm
Thread
Thank you!! I shared my thoughts with NPR, too
Reply to: #981523 by detective
Dec 1, 2019 6:01pm
Thread
I have, too - NPR will be swamped with letterboxing entries!
Dec 1, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
Also done and shared the link.
Dec 2, 2019 8:42am
Thread
Done. And thank you for sharing.
Fingers crossed for a positive resurgence in letterboxing!
Reply to: #981498 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 2, 2019 9:36am
Thread
Yesterday (Thanksgiving Day) I played "Power Grid: First Sparks" with relatives. I tied for 2nd place out of four players.

I haven't played that one yet!

KuKu
gamer who has over 130 games with gamer husband, Red Fox
Reply to: #981490 by Dawnkey
Dec 2, 2019 9:56am
Thread
Hubby (Red Fox) and I played Forbidden Island and three games of King of Tokyo with my two cousins, who had never played them before. They told us not to bring really complicated games.

We played the Power Up cards for the third game of KoT -- they didn't like them as much. They liked the simpler version better.

Maybe next time with them we'll try Sushi Go, Sagrada, maybe even Small World!

KuKu
Major gamer who is doing campaign of Near and Far with hubby Red Fox
Dec 2, 2019 3:16pm
Thread
I just submitted my letterboxing entry, too. It would be so cool to hear a story about letterboxing on ATC!!
Reply to: #981542 by KuKu
Dec 2, 2019 7:57pm
Thread
KuKu
gamer who has over 130 games with gamer husband, Red Fox

I got you beat on number of games. Though I haven't counted the exact number it is over 200.

Maybe I should do a letterbox series on games that I like.
Reply to: #981509 by KatieKat
Dec 3, 2019 4:37am
Thread
I have to agree with wrong hat. Something special about hugging your cat ;-)
Dec 3, 2019 6:32am
Thread
We did nothing on Friday. We were at the in-laws who live next to nowhere. No letterbox nearby and nowhere for a letterbox to be nearby. No internet even! So we hit a few golf balls in the yard and after dinner played nertz and hand&foot.
Dec 3, 2019 11:46am
Thread
Sent mine, too! Hope to hear about our hobby on NPR!

Thanks!
Quadruplicate notifications
Dec 5, 2019 4:47pm
Thread
I got four "you have new AQ mail" notifications, all sent within a 2-minute window. When I logged in to AQ, there was only one unread message.
Not sure if AQ was just quadruple-checking to be sure I knew there was a message (I AM a little old and forgetful), or something went haywire??
Re: Quadruplicate notifications
Reply to: #981605 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 5, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
I AM a little old and forgetful

What??!! You're one of the least forgetful people I know!!!
Dec 6, 2019 3:44am
Thread
yes, the issue reported a few weeks ago is still happening, but not always.
Dec 6, 2019 5:16am
Thread
I’ve noticed that when you send a message to multiple people at the same time, like on a tracker, it freezes or takes a few minutes to send. Maybe it just data overload.. It’s going back to the Stone Age and dial up. Giggle.
Dec 6, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
I imagine people keep hitting send because it takes so long. They think it’s not going to send. Then it sends as many as they click.
Reply to: #981616 by MissMoon
Dec 6, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
I imagine people keep hitting send because it takes so long.

I agree that was happening before, but then the message appeared multiple times, not just the notification. Now the notification appears 4 times, but the message only once. Seems strange . . .
Reply to: #981621 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 6, 2019 2:26pm
Thread
Got it! Does seem weird. I do wonder if even the notification thing has something to do with the number of times a person clicks. I think I got a double notification thing a couple of times.

But yes, it is strange.
2019-2020 College Football Tracker interest
Dec 7, 2019 5:34am
Thread
Hello All,

Foraych and I have been talking about the potential for a 2019-2020 College Football tracker. Could you please respond if you are interested in participating this year? No College Football knowledge needed. Please see Tracker description below:

Time to begin gearing up for this year's football college bowl pool. It is a fun competitive experience that helps make even the most meaningless bowl game important.

All participants will be asked to select the winner of all the Division I college bowl games including the national championship game (There are 40 bowl games, not including the CFP Title game). This also does not include all-star games such as Senior Bowl, etc). You also have to rank the games in order of how confident you are in the win. A game you feel is a toss up should be ranked low 1 or 2. A game you are sure is a lock should be a high number 38-40. For each correct pick you earn the number of points you ranked the game. For each incorrect pick you lose the number of points you ranked the game. Yes we could have negative numbers. (Don't worry I send an Excel spreadsheet to the alternate email address you provide that does the math for you). The list of bowl games and teams will be sent to participants as soon as the teams have been finalized usually around the first week of December. Picks must be submitted before the first bowl game kickoff time. The first scheduled Bowl kicks off at noon (Eastern Standard Time) on December 20, 2018. Picks can be sent by AQMail or e-mail. With the College Playoff - those who pick a winner of a playoff game (there are two) will get 10 points for each winner. Those who pick the correct winner of the National Title game get an extra 25 points.

Each member will be asked to carve a stamp about college football. The stamps must be added as a postal to this tracker and mailed to FORAYCH. The address will be AQ mailed to participants. Send enough LTC sized or postcards with your signature stamp and your entry fee/stamp image imprinted for each member of the tracker. These will be distributed so all participants will get credit for receiving a postal stamp find. These should be postmarked by no later than January 5, 2019. If a participant does not send a stamp they will be dropped from the tracker. Communication can buy more time.

Send me your alternate email and snail mail when you sign up please.

The winner(s) will receive the stamps as a prize. Prize allocations will be determined by the number of participants. We try and have at least the top two win stamps (As an example, with 10 participants 1st would get 4, 2nd 3, 3rd 2 and 4th 1). The tiebreaker will be the total number of points scored in all of the six hosting bowls plus the National Title for the Playoff Championship Series games combined (Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl and Championship Game). The winner(s) will become the sole owner of the stamp(s) to, keep or plant however they feel fit. The carver must be given credit in any listing posting.

Disclaimer: FORAYCH reserves the right as is common with my football official cousins to make executive decisions upon further review with or without indisputable video evidence.

Please respond to this post as soon as you can or if you prefer via AQmail to Foraych or Myself. Thank you for your time and hopefully your participation in the tracker! :)

Have a great weekend.

Take care,

Outdoorsoccer
Dec 7, 2019 10:46am
Thread
yeah right .. forgetful NOT!
Dec 7, 2019 5:42pm
Thread
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message--even down to the links in the message. Assuming you haven't already deleted the messages, can you check if there's anything different between the emails--regardless of how small or trivial it might seem?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981636 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 6:49pm
Thread
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message

I got 4 notifications to my email address that I had a new AQ message, all within 2 minutes. But there was only 1 AQ message in my AQ ‘mailbox’. So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.
Reply to: #981637 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 7, 2019 7:27pm
Thread
So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.

That wasn't my question. I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account. The differences could just be a single character, but that's what I need to know.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981638 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 10:41pm
Thread
I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account.

My finger was too quick to hit the delete button. If it happens again, I'll let you know. Thanks for trying to figure it out.