A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: The weirdest/funniest complaint someone left you
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #729935 by Housepitality Hostess
Nov 12, 2019 2:07pm
Thread
I remember a couple of your multiple siders--they were some of my first finds.
Re: change in appearance of my page
Reply to: #981065 by Green Tortuga
Nov 12, 2019 3:42pm
Thread
It works the same way whether you use a desktop or an iPad.

Not for me. I can only rearrange them on my desktop.
Reply to: #981066 by Green Tortuga
Nov 12, 2019 3:56pm
Thread
If you use a Windows machine, press Ctrl+F5 to refresh your cache

That did the trick, Ryan, thank you!
Reply to: #981082 by sojourner
Nov 12, 2019 4:50pm
Thread
didn't work for me!
Reply to: #981084 by condo
Nov 12, 2019 6:19pm
Thread
Annoying!
Reply to: #981066 by Green Tortuga
Nov 13, 2019 4:24am
Thread
Opening AQ in the incognito window worked for me :)
Reply to: #981089 by brandicat
Nov 13, 2019 6:56am
Thread
Site totally screwed up in Chrome. I fail to see why this should be happening now when it was fine before.

I cleared the history and it is ok for the moment. Why should we have to be doing these things just to view the site properly?
Reply to: #981068 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 13, 2019 11:08am
Thread
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you
Re: Safari Man Boxes
Reply to: #981113 by Okie Dog
Nov 14, 2019 4:06pm
Thread
As far as I know Granny & CoffeeMug neither 1 has passed away?? They have moved on from LBing like so many others have but in good health otherwise?! & As for the SM stamps they are temp plants while I'm in California for vaca & the meet /greet! They will reside here in Ohio on our land as WOM or planted during SOHT!!Actually several of us Ohio boxers are planning a maintenance trip on any SM boxes we can find & some of the Michigan gals did maintenance on lots of his when they went boxing this summer! We're trying to keep them alive & available as long as possible.....
Reply to: #981114 by R gang
Nov 14, 2019 6:17pm
Thread
I'm so glad to hear that a maintenance plan is in place for SM boxes! And, yes, the 4 Michigan letterboxers who went on a Safari Man jaunt in May did complete maintenance on the boxes we found. You don't have to include those in your plans.

I hope it works out for you all do get that done :).
AW
Nov 14, 2019 6:50pm
Thread
We're trying to keep them alive & available as long as possible.....

Kudos to you! I just hope more people will get out and find (and maintain) Safari Man's boxes. They are absolute treasures!

On our three-day Safari Man quest earlier this year, we Michigan gals met with poison ivy, ticks, thorns, rain, lightning, radically changed landscapes, and missing boxes.....but we came home with 40 precious Safari Man carves in our logbooks. It was an awesome letterboxing trip.
Nov 14, 2019 9:23pm
Thread
OD might be talking about Granny from Granny and Paw Paw.
Reply to: #981121 by Dawnkey
Nov 14, 2019 9:27pm
Thread
In other words when we head out for SM boxes we need gloves,boots, tweezers,umbrellas,maps,machetes,bug spray,maintenance supplies & critter sticks?? LOL
Reply to: #981126 by R gang
Nov 15, 2019 4:12am
Thread
Well, yeah, but that’s the kind of stuff memories are made of. :)
Nov 15, 2019 8:12am
Thread
And knee pads, if you are anything like Dawnkey :).

Oh, the memories!
Nov 15, 2019 7:03pm
Thread
In other words when we head out for SM boxes we need gloves,boots, tweezers,umbrellas,maps,machetes,bug spray,maintenance supplies & critter sticks?? LOL

Especially if you come to find the eight SM boxes here in Virginia Beach.
Reply to: #981136 by Angel Winks
Nov 15, 2019 7:49pm
Thread
And knee pads, if you are anything like Dawnkey :)

That sounds like a story that you need to tell the rest of us.

4 Bugs 2 Spiders Orange Rocks (GCYK0M) is a geocache where you need knee pads. It is in an artificial tunnel next to the side of the road. There are small rocks, larger than gravel, all over the ground of the tunnel. The geocache is about half way through it.

I have thought of hiding a letterbox there. The first problem is, what do I carve that would be appropriate for a place like that? Golum? The second problem is, how many of the local letterboxers would be willing to do the crawl for a stamp image?
Reply to: #981151 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 15, 2019 9:10pm
Thread
...how many of the local letterboxers would be willing to do the crawl for a stamp image?

The spirit is willing but the flesh (especially the artificial knee) is weak. 8~P
Reply to: #981151 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 15, 2019 9:15pm
Thread
Not local, but always ready and willing to crawl (or climb or jump or swim.)
Reply to: #981152 by Boxer Lover47
Nov 15, 2019 9:18pm
Thread
The spirit is willing but the flesh (especially the artificial knee) is weak.

I feel for you, though I'm not there, yet. I have enough that I know that this is coming.
Reply to: #981153 by Mu
Nov 15, 2019 9:21pm
Thread
Not local, but always ready and willing to crawl (or climb or jump or swim.)

Be careful what you ask for. I have planted a geocache/letterbox (it is listed here and there) that requires a watercraft. I went with the one group of geocachers that went to find it and watched while they looked for it. I'm thinking of making a series of geocache/letterbox (listed both places) on that same island.
books in libraries
Nov 18, 2019 8:13am
Thread
hi,
I carved out a discarded book to hide a stamp and log book in. i tried to glue pagers together but they do not want to stick together. How did other people get pages to stick together? What glue is best to use? I tried glue stick.
thanks for any info you can share.
Re: books in libraries
Reply to: #981271 by nfsquared
Nov 18, 2019 8:35am
Thread
I used modge podge glue and only glued the edges of the book that shows and then the middle cutouts/hidy hole pages. Worked great! Good luck
Nov 18, 2019 8:38am
Thread
I use diluted Elmer's glue and a paint brush to apply it to the outer edges of the pages, and then again to the inner edges of the pages within the carved out hole. You don't need to stick the pages's surfaces to each other. Having the edges fused with liquid glue will keep the pages in place.

Ratio of glue to water is about 60% glue and 40% water, and you can always add a little glue or water if the mix seems too thick (gluey) to be absorbed, or too watery to control. Two teaspoons of glue will do a whole book, inside the hole and outside, along the exposed page edges.

Inset a piece of wax paper or foil between the glued pages and the cover while the book dries. You need to let it dry in the closed position, and a weight on top, like another book, is a good idea.

After the first glue/dry, check for unattached places and do another round of watery glue painted onto any loose edges, and dry it again.

For anyone who's interested and hasn't started yet, the best books for this purpose are the cheaper ones, the ones with softer, pulpier pages so the glue absorbs better. Slicker, smoother pages don't accept the glue as nicely, I've found.
Reply to: #981273 by Maude
Nov 18, 2019 8:46am
Thread
Thank you for info.
Nov 18, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
How did other people get pages to stick together?

You don't even have to bother with all that. The pages will stack just fine on their own.
Box of the Month Help Request
Nov 23, 2019 1:00pm
We are ready to launch a Box of the Month in Champaign County, IL where we hold Homerdoodle. We are very lucky to have a forest preserve that promotes letterboxing and encourages it. One of the staff members has volunteered to help us keep this Box of the Month up to date and hold it in her office so it is available for year round stamping. She is also starting to hold introduction to letterboxing sessions herself and is a co-host for Homerdoodle 2020.

As we get ready to list this BOTM, I would hope that anyone who has had a BOTM might write with suggests and hints to keep it all going smoothly.

The name for our endeavor is Champaign County BOTM and we hope many of you will come to stamp the image(s).

Thank you so much,
TeachJR
Box of the Week
Nov 24, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
It's always nice to see newbies get the Box of the Week honor. This one's still a little green, but he'll slowly come out of his shell. Not much of a hike, though. Perhaps the planter should practice hiking a little more.
Re: Box of the Week
Reply to: #981376 by wassamatta u
Nov 25, 2019 12:11am
Thread
I was hoping nobody would notice. Thanks for the help. ;o)

I kind of feel like it's unfair for my boxes to even be in the running since I could manipulate the code to unfairly choose my own boxes. I don't.... but just the fact that I can seems like a conflict of interest. Consequently, I'd have been perfectly happy if nobody noticed the BOTW this week!

Should have known you couldn't let it go... *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Re: Box of the Week
Reply to: #981377 by Green Tortuga
Nov 25, 2019 9:30am
Thread
Should have known you couldn't let it go...

And yet as if by Magic... my post isn't showing up in the Wassa Widget!
I suspect skullduggery is afoot... or footduggery is askull. Or something like that.