Oct 15, 2019 5:38pm
Thread
Try Michaels for pink stuff. Watch for high dollar coupons
Re: OK, Help, I've been on Hiatus...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #980313 by ddmckenna
Oct 15, 2019 6:16pm
Thread
I saw Kirbert's instructions on how to modify the Speedball #1 DIY but I don't have the equipment or time to do that, or the spare nibs to waste if I mess up. Does anyone here make/sell them or has anyone found anything similar to buy?

I have made a couple of modified speedball #1's. I used my already dull ones so it wasn't a waste when I messed up.
I found simply grinding off the top without narrowing the V is almost as useful as the full modification.

I bought a box of #4 "square" gouges awhile ago. If you message me your address I'll track them down and mail one to you.
Oct 15, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
Distress inks come in little squares and you can get them in groups of four. I got several of them for crafting (small are cheap and gives me lots of colors.)

Here's a couple of them:

kit 15 kit 2

And 12 of them fit perfectly in this little tin, also by Tim Holtz!: tin box

KuKu
Oct 16, 2019 5:57am
Thread
Welcome back!

Sometimes, if I store my dried out inks upside down, they become usable again. Might get you through a few adventures while you are restocking.

I also grab the small squares of Studio g pigment ink when I see them in Michaels' dollar bins. I like the small size, they stamp well, and for $1-$2, I'm not overly attached to them. My complaint would be that the lids do not stay on tightly, but they stack well and I keep them in a plastic container so no real issues. (And again, cost is negligible so if the lid does come off and the pad dries up, no biggie but that has not happened)
Oct 16, 2019 7:19am
Thread
Welcome back!

Pink stuff can be purchased at Michael's in store and on line. Use 40%off coupon, or wait until the Holidays and they can have up to 60% off one item coupons.

Hobby lobby sometimes has pink stuff.

Dick Blick's has pink stuff on line and goes on sale for a reasonable price.

Blick's might also sell nibs individually, but not sure and worth a check. I bought mine at an art store in Houston that also has a good selection of printmaking supplies.

Webfoot has several carving medium options on her site As well.

For inks I bought the Ranger Archival inks that are small and come 4? To a package I believe. Again at micheals with a coupon. Here in the summer it gets hot and inks dry out quickly, so I'm interested in a good juicy brand that won't break the bank as well. So far these have been good, but I've only had them for a year.
Oct 16, 2019 6:48pm
Thread
http://www.stampeaz.com/ All things boxing including the pink stuff and a wonderful owner.
Reply to: #980332 by KuKu
Oct 16, 2019 7:27pm
Thread
You can also buy ink refills for the distress inks...
Oct 16, 2019 10:15pm
Thread
Pink Stuff is still made, it never stopped being made but the consistency of it did; there was a period of bad batches and the material is a bit softer. As a blade carver, I really like it. PZ Kut however isn't being made any longer though. Stampeaz has some new stuff that is supposed to be pretty good. I'm sticking with pink...

I get mine on Amazon and Dick Blick.

Lynn
Reply to: #980323 by Baqash
Oct 16, 2019 10:17pm
Thread
I have given up on finding pink anywhere but online, maybe Dick Blick's if you have a store near you...
Funny, or obsession?
Oct 18, 2019 6:06am
Thread
I have had to start a med size container/bucket because I can’t seem to keep up with my planting compared to my carving.

Obsessed? I don’t know, maybe? 😉

Has anyone else been in the same situation? I’m having way to much fun with letterboxing.
Re: Funny, or obsession?
Reply to: #980413 by Damselfly
Oct 18, 2019 6:10am
Thread
Oct 18, 2019 7:05am
Thread
I have had to start a med size container/bucket because I can’t seem to keep up with my planting compared to my carving.

I have been carving all summer but have only placed four boxes out in the wild due to the Texas summer heat. For those who haven't visited Texas yet it has about 100 degrees high temps for most of June, July, August, and September, or so it seems. I have about 30 stamps finished and several more started. Now that the weather is finally starting to cool down I hope to get out there and explore new (to me) wild areas and plant boxes for y'all to find.
Oct 18, 2019 7:07am
Thread
My husband has started to side-eye my carving pile, and keeps asking when I'm going to find homes for all the ones I've started. When the toddler stops trying to run off when we take her for planting walks, dear. LOL
Oct 18, 2019 7:36am
Thread
Do you do LTCs? That’s a good outlet for carving (and creating!). We are always looking for new victims participants.

But I hear your pain. We probably have a hundred stamps in boxes.

DZ
Reply to: #980424 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 18, 2019 7:40am
Thread
I have not yet started doing LTC, BUT I'm hoping to soon;)
Reply to: #980420 by PI Joe
Oct 18, 2019 9:14am
Thread
I have been carving all summer but have only placed four boxes out in the wild due to the Texas summer heat. For those who haven't visited Texas yet it has about 100 degrees high temps for most of June, July, August, and September, or so it seems

Same here! Plus I'm picky about where I plant. I do have some from the spring that haven't been found yet that were planted for the power plant challenge.

I think I need a new challenge...
Oct 18, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Last year, a group of enterprising North Carolinian boxers hosted the Power Plant Challenge to encourage more planting. I participated in it and planted around 130 boxes without ever carving a new stamp.

I have to edit to add that there was an enterprising Georgia boxer also!
Reply to: #980346 by Mama Stork
Oct 18, 2019 12:14pm
Thread
My signature stamp is red. I have found that my signature stamp and the Studio square ink fit perfectly together side by side in an Altoids container. I store the ink upside down and it is easy to grab and stamp when needed.
Oct 18, 2019 2:41pm
Thread
I can't express how much I much I love my pfeil 12/1 v gouge, but it's about $20 (cheapest price I could find for the US - it's a Swiss toolmaker). But omg. The sharpness, the fineness of the gouge, the quality - well worth it for me and certainly a big step up from speedball. I got mine from Jackson Art Supplies (UK) which seemed the most reasonably priced.

I like tsukineko's small square inks especially their black one - very portable, very opaque, very reasonably priced.

Welcome back to letterboxing!
Oct 18, 2019 2:45pm
Thread
Love carving! I made lb friends and they help me plant - thinking places to put them, clues, etc, which helps! Also makes me accountable ;)
Reply to: #980421 by PSMH
Oct 18, 2019 2:45pm
Thread
That's what those little backpacks with leashes are for! 🤣
Reply to: #980446 by coldsnap
Oct 18, 2019 5:26pm
Thread
My favorite inks are the little inch square VersaColor pigment inks - they are inexpensive and come in lots of different colors. (made by Tsukineko)
Writing clues in Word first
Oct 19, 2019 6:18am
Thread
A Cautionary Tale:

Normally, if I'm listing a series and have a longish clue, I write it in Word and then paste it into AQ. I stupidly didn't do that this morning ("why bother,?" I thought) and had just completed writing my clues when I hit the wrong key and lost all of my work. Dang (which is NOT the word I actually said).
Re: Writing clues in Word first
Reply to: #980466 by Rocklun
Oct 19, 2019 7:01am
Thread
Drank more coffee, wrote the clues in Word, and am now DONE!!
AQ messages
Oct 22, 2019 10:42am
Thread
Is anyone else receiving multiple copies of the same messages? I've been receiving two or even three copies of the same "email" into my AQ Mailbox. System generated messages seem fine, it's every human-typed message that are doubled.
Re: AQ messages
Reply to: #980512 by RIclimber
Oct 22, 2019 11:28am
Thread
It's not happening now but it has happened in the past.
Oct 22, 2019 2:00pm
Thread
Yes, I just received two AQ messages from Dalmata in my AQ inbox (they looked identical to me but I didn't do a byte comparison)
Oct 22, 2019 2:54pm
Thread
Yep. Has happened quite a bit these last 2 weeks.
Reply to: #980515 by SherlockMiles
Oct 22, 2019 4:17pm
Thread
Me too just now.
Reply to: #980516 by A Okay
Oct 22, 2019 5:37pm
Thread
Yes me also but better than when we were not getting them. Ryan will take care of now that he knows.