A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Age or Inactivity to Attempt?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978458 by MissMoon
Aug 17, 2019 2:46pm
Thread
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

I think there’s a correlation to the location. A box on a short walk in a high-traffic area or an urban box that hasn’t been found in years, is “probably” no longer there. But a box at the end of a long hike into a remote area, is quite likely to still be there, with long periods between very few finders.
Aug 17, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

Maybe, maybe not. I bet stats would bear me out if they were kept... at least in my case they do.

But as Wise Wanderer points out, it depends. If your goal is to find every box you search for you have to use a little common sense.

Personally, I don’t use long ago “last found” dates as a prerequisite for my searches. From what I read that’s a common attitude around here.

YMMV.
;~)
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 6:33pm
Thread
I once went after a box that was planted in 03/05, found a couple times, then reported missing after an attempt was logged in 8/05. The planter had/still has it tagged MISSING next to the box name on LbNA, which was where I had printed my clues. Not sure how I didn't notice all that, but I went looking for it anyway. I found it in Feb 2016, right where the clues said it would be, missing the pile of sticks because the tree had grown around the box. That was the best.
Reply to: #978434 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 6:38pm
Thread
one was missing from where we supposed it should be, the other had missing landmarks to even get to it.

I feel your pain. I struck out many, many times recently. Even worse because I was showing my noxer friend how we do it. Ha!

Because I often seek older boxes with no luck, and because many times the landscape has changed significantly, I have evolved in how I plant boxes now. I rely less on landmarks that will inevitably change in favor of compass headings whenever possible, and I'm not in a hurry. I don't plant in stumps or fallen logs (except maybe close to home if I were going to maintain it). At least this way, you stand a chance of knowing which stump-that-used-to-be-a-tree is the one you're looking for.
Reply to: #978463 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 18, 2019 2:05pm
Thread
Personally, I don’t use long ago “last found” dates as a prerequisite for my searches.

Neither do I. But on the other hand I don’t dismiss a box because of it. And I think far too many people do. But then that may leave more old boxes safe and sound for me and others who want them. HEHHEHHEH
Reply to: #978460 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 18, 2019 2:09pm
Thread
I think there’s a correlation to the location

Valid point. But that correlation wasn’t made in the statement I responded to. :)
Aug 18, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
I recently found a box on my second try - the first try was 5 years ago with no luck. This time, I brought a friend who viewed the clue just differently enough to make the box findable. This isn't always the case, but sometimes.....
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 18, 2019 6:09pm
Thread
No cutoff for us, either. We've found boxes with 8, 10, even 14 years in between finds for a whole host of reasons. If the area's pretty remote, it's typically more likely the box is still there somewhere. Even a couple of attempts won't discourage us for bringing the clues along with us on this type of hunt. We've also found that there's a significant correlation between length of hike and frequency of finds, so a lack of a recent find date on longer hikes would not bother us. We enjoy the added challenge of finding an older box.
Reply to: #978516 by Juanita Rojas
Aug 18, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
That’s very cool. It’s just so weird how people can see it differently. And some clues can be interpreted in such different ways.
Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Reply to: #978396 by Hotcakes
Aug 19, 2019 9:07am
Thread
I saw it so long ago... I will look again. I'm not sure where it was.
Reply to: #978523 by Nairon
Aug 19, 2019 2:53pm
Thread
All this thread has shown is that the “old last finds” setting on AQ searches is bad, very bad. I’m not opposed to it being there as an option, but I think the default for new players should be “off” because far to many people are unaware those preferences even exist. Perfectly good letterboxes are being forgotten, and since new people don’t know they are there to find, that old last find just gets older.

Whenever I’m in an area where I remember finding boxes before, I check up on them for maintenance. I have an alias I use explicitly to log new finds to keep them in searches, but I can’t “refind” every old box that is still viable.

K
Reply to: #978573 by Kelsung
Aug 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread
All this thread has shown is that the “old last finds” setting on AQ searches is bad, very bad. I’m not opposed to it being there as an option, but I think the default for new players should be “off” because far to many people are unaware those preferences even exist. Perfectly good letterboxes are being forgotten

I didn’t even know that was a default setting. I joined so long ago I don’t remember if it was then or not. Wow. It’s been shown over and over by the questions asked on the boards that new boxers often don’t explore the site and see their options. So you make a great point!
Reply to: #978576 by MissMoon
Aug 19, 2019 4:12pm
Thread
It’s been shown over and over by the questions asked on the boards that new boxers often don’t explore the site and see their options.

They are too busy basking in the Glory of The Wassa Widget. All other thoughts and plans fall by the wayside once one dives into that rabbit hole. I should have named it "The Wassa Hole" instead. Oh wait... Maybe not...
Reply to: #978576 by MissMoon
Aug 19, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
Well before I stir up something unintentionally, could Ryan or another admin confirm whether those search options are “opt in” or “opt out”? When someone new signs up, do their searches automatically hide 3 strikeouts, 12 month old last finds and 12 month old abandoned listings?

K
Reply to: #978561 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 19, 2019 9:36pm
Thread
I'm pretty sure this is Mosaic Butterfly's; I'm also pretty sure she maintains it. Go for the fun of it, though. All the planting out that way makes me want to move!
Reply to: #978577 by wassamatta u
Aug 20, 2019 6:02am
Thread
They are too busy basking in the Glory of The Wassa Widget. All other thoughts and plans fall by the wayside once one dives into that rabbit hole. I should have named it "The Wassa Hole" instead.

Speaking of Wassa’s Hole, maybe you could toot your own horn a bit and explain where one goes to get this wonderful widget and what the virtues of it are.
Reply to: #978582 by Wry Me
Aug 20, 2019 6:11am
Thread
Yes, you need to move to Austin!
Reply to: #978593 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 20, 2019 7:11am
Thread
Let's not talk of "Wassa's Hole" and tooting in the same sentence please
Reply to: #978098 by Boingochick
Aug 20, 2019 7:20am
Thread
I was thinking about starting a HHH but not sure about proper protocol. I think one stays in as the main stamp for the box and maybe rules on taking all at once? any tips/advice anyone wants to share?

Go ahead and plant the HHH if you want to. See how it goes. After a reasonable amount of time, if it isn't as active as you want it to be, retire it, and send any remaining HHs on their way in other boxes.

Just cause it doesn't work for some, and just cause some people don't like HHs and/or HHHs, doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it for yourself, and have some fun with it.

Go for it. I'd love to hear your results. I'm not as active anymore, but I liked HHs and HHHs. Gave me a chance to see others' artwork.

Sometimes I visit a local HHH just for the heck of it. Last time I checked, there weren't any HHs in it. I was disappointed.

You'll never know if you don't try. :^)
Re: Box themes
Reply to: #977948 by Wry Me
Aug 24, 2019 5:37pm
Thread
Yes. I don't like religious stamps much or stamps in businesses. There are exceptions to this if the place is quirky and unique enough and my friend is interested as well, and they are planted outside.

This is why, if I plant one with religious stamp/theme, I put in the clue that it is religious.

I don't want people who don't like religious boxes to be surprised.

KuKu
Reply to: #978004 by coldsnap
Aug 24, 2019 5:44pm
Thread
Never mind - I think it was an LTC. Sorry! Misremembered.

Yep, my LTC. ;^)
Reply to: #978754 by KuKu
Aug 24, 2019 5:48pm
Thread
This is why, if I plant one with religious stamp/theme, I put in the clue that it is religious.

I don't want people who don't like religious boxes to be surprised.

Thank you! I've looked for religious stamps but agree that many folks would prefer to know that ahead of time.
Who would do these boxes!
Aug 24, 2019 6:32pm
Thread
We have now started out on a new crazy venture. We started it last year with a box at every exit from Kingman Arizona to needles California. Approximately 60 miles and 15 boxes. We had good results with people getting them all. So now we are getting ready to expand this! Kingman Arizona to flagstaff Arizona. Adding another 150 miles and 35 more boxes. Would you do it? Would your carmates be excited or think are we done? We are doing this and know it’s crazy but think it’s fun too!

My real question is what crazy things are you doing and would you want to do something like this in your area to break up long car rides?
Re: Who would do these boxes!
Reply to: #978759 by 66gypsies
Aug 24, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
Hi 66gypsies,

I think all letterboxers are a bit different about what they are looking for. When I am on a road trip, I like to get as many boxes as I can along a scenic or historical route, but if there are too many boxes for the comfort level of my noxer husband :), I will choose the boxes that are at spots that are significant and not just a quick driveby under a lightpost. So maybe a scenic overlook, a historical marker, or an interesting roadside attraction is where I would stop first so that my husband can enjoy the location also.

What am I trying to do that is crazy? Well, every year I try to think of a new twist on letterboxing and a type of theme to introduce letterboxers to either really cool locations or some cipher fun. My newest kick in the last year is trying to get at least 1 letterbox planted in every Michigan county. I have boxes in 62 counties out of 83, leaving 21 to go. I have carves for 10 more which I hope to get planted yet in 2019 and those will complete Michigan's lower peninsula.

Carry on, letterboxers!
AW
Reply to: #978760 by Angel Winks
Aug 24, 2019 6:53pm
Thread
We have this in Arizona too one in each county the shape of the county and when all found it makes the state of Arizona. We have fun going to new areas and knowing the state we live in. I love it! Hope all is good in Michigan
Julie and Dave
Aug 24, 2019 8:38pm
Thread
Yes! I will search for them. I plan to be in your area the first week of January. ❤
Aug 24, 2019 9:36pm
Thread
I would do it if I lived in the area.
Aug 24, 2019 9:44pm
Thread
We are doing this and know it’s crazy but think it’s fun too!

Sounds like you are doing it for all the right reasons. :-)

We are actually planning a trip out that way, so will keep an eye on the boxes. I don’t know if I can convince the family to make that many stops, but I know there are some people who would.
Aug 25, 2019 4:33am
Thread
Thanks for the drivebys on those long stretches out there in the SW. We like to get a box in every state we visit. Some states we just drive through and pick up a quick driveby along the way, which was true when we drove through your area last year. Appreciated your Kingman box which even had good RV parking. :-)
Aug 25, 2019 4:34am
Thread
I would do them, but probably not all in one day. I like to get lots of boxes in a smaller radius so maybe some of them plus others around that vicinity, then another time more of them plus boxes around that leg, etc.