A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978124 by Lampwick
Aug 8, 2019 8:20am
Thread
I understand what people are saying about HHH's being prisons. I haven't gotten to go to one since there isn't one in my area, but I think the idea has good intentions. It sounds like HH will get stuck in boxes for 5+ years, but I have also gone to traditional boxes and found hh's in there for 5+ years too.

I also like the HHH set up that JampersandJ set up to keep people coming back by changing the stamp every season, so the HH's get switched out more. I also like that they maintain it regularly and as the owners get HH's moving that was not getting moved before.

The event HHH also sounds like a good idea to me. Especially if you took it to large events. Can you imagine how many HH would make their way through?!
Reply to: #978099 by Kirbert
Aug 8, 2019 8:59am
Thread
My HHH is an event box. The only rule is don't take the box stamp. Thank you for the idea of an HHH Prison... or maybe a Pirate Ship!!
Reply to: #978104 by Boingochick
Aug 8, 2019 11:09am
Thread
What do you mean if could get to it?

I think she just means she hasn't been able to get around to going there.

And again.....with so little boxing activity in your area it might not be the best place to plant a HHH, regardless of all the rules, etc. You want them to move and if no one is boxing around there the HHH won't be getting any traffic.
Reply to: #978106 by Boingochick
Aug 8, 2019 11:15am
Thread
Why is it taboo in the LB world or something and Iā€™m going to get a bunch of hate mail?! šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

No one has said it is taboo and no you are not going to get a lot of hate mail. It's a "can of worms" as someone posted because it's always been a hot topic of discussion and always creates varying opinions.

People are just speaking from experience. HHHs are planted and then they don't accomplish the purpose of moving the HHs.

You asked for advice so people are just responding with opinions and advice.
Reply to: #978148 by MissMoon
Aug 8, 2019 12:18pm
Thread
well I'm hosting a BOTM ring just down the road so people come out every month to get that one at least! It's usually the same locals. I just need to get out more and plant
How Far to Hitchhiker Hostel/Hotel?
Aug 8, 2019 1:53pm
Thread
This thread about Hitch Hiker Hostel got me thinking again about doing my own hitchhiker hostel/hotel. I'm thinking of putting it close to the exit of a major freeway. This would make it much easier for people passing through to get to the box.

How far from the exit would you be willing to go for a hitchhiker hostel/hotel?
Re: How Far to Hitchhiker Hostel/Hotel?
Reply to: #978159 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 8, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
A mile or less

Warrior Woman
impatient on the road
Aug 8, 2019 4:17pm
Thread
Freeway boxes need to meet two criteria. First they need to be close to an exit with easy on and easy off. Second, ideally they should serve as a rest stop, the kinda place where you can stretch your legs, use a restroom, walk the dog, perhaps pick up some snacks, etc.

I've got a box at a freeway rest area that barely meets the first criteria! The on- and off-ramps are so convoluted and wind around so much that before you ever get sight of the parking area you're already telling yourself "WTH? I didn't sign up for this extensive side trip!"
Aug 9, 2019 7:29am
Thread
And again.....with so little boxing activity in your area it might not be the best place to plant a HHH, regardless of all the rules, etc. You want them to move and if no one is boxing around there the HHH won't be getting any traffic.

I live in the same area as Boingochick and I'm surprised to see it described as a low or no traffic zone. I admit that boxing has declined over the years but there are still lots and lots of boxes around our region that are still available and several boxers who are more or less active, not to mention tourist boxers who sometimes find my stuff. I am rarely ever the first finder when a new box gets listed. I certainly wish the traffic was higher, but I don't view it as a place where "no one is boxing". So my question is, what defines an appropriate region to hide a hostel? Obviously population density is not the answer because I have been surprised at the relatively low numbers of boxes in places like LA and NYC. Does anyone have a guideline one could use? A minimum amount of Active boxes within the 15 mi search radius, for example?
Aug 9, 2019 10:52am
Thread
...with so little boxing activity in your area it might not be the best place to plant a HHH...

So, what level of activity is appropriate for planting a hitchhiker prison?

I'd argue it doesn't matter, a hitchhiker prison is a hitchhiker prison. If you want to help HH's keep moving, the thing to do would be to plant a high-activity box with plenty of space in the container for a HH -- regardless how much letterboxing is going on in the region. So, spacious container, drive-by, simple clues, convenient to major travel routes, no stealth required.
Reply to: #978172 by Kirbert
Aug 9, 2019 11:07am
Thread
Ours is about a mile
Reply to: #978185 by detective
Aug 9, 2019 11:07am
Thread
I wasn't putting any specific guidelines on anything. I was just going by a search of the boxes in that area and looking at how often they are found and how long between finds.

And there have been complaints in years past from people in that general area feeling that they don't get much traffic.

It's so far north that while I'm sure people do pass through, *because* it's so far north I would think that boxers traveling through are not in big numbers.

You make a valid point in saying that "no one is boxing" is a bit much and not really the case. However my opinion was in relation to planting a HHH. The point of HHHs are to move HHs and it just doesn't seem like an ideal situation for a HHH.

From what I've seen posted in the past, HHHs in busy places like Connecticut don't have a big success rate so I was just saying that low traffic in the area up north would seem to work against the point of the HHH.
Reply to: #978191 by Kirbert
Aug 9, 2019 11:10am
Thread
I'd argue it doesn't matter,

I'll refer you to my reply to 'detective'.

HHHs seem to rarely accomplish their intended purpose no matter where they are. I was just referring to the lack of heavy traffic in that particular area since the original poster lives up there.
Reply to: #978101 by Kelsung
Aug 9, 2019 11:12am
Thread
You've just opened a can of worms. I'm just gonna sit back with some popcorn and watch.

Hope you popped a big tub. :)

hehehehehehehhhhhh
Reply to: #978172 by Kirbert
Aug 9, 2019 3:03pm
Thread
Freeway boxes need to meet two criteria. First they need to be close to an exit with easy on and easy off. Second, ideally they should serve as a rest stop, the kinda place where you can stretch your legs, use a restroom, walk the dog, perhaps pick up some snacks, etc.

I'm thinking of I-15 exits in northern Utah, about Layton to Brigham City; or I-84 from Ogden to Mountain Green. There are plenty of exits with services, but no good places to hide a box large enough for a HHH. 31st Street in Ogden is less than a mile to a trailhead, where there would be plenty of hiding places but not the type of services you are talking about. Would letterboxers like to get off at one exit for a HHH and the next for services?

The two rest stops on I-84 have restrooms, water, covered picnic areas and place to walk your pet, but no other services. They are also full of geocaches, and one letterbox in each. Perhaps when the new I-84 interchange in Mountain Green is built (replacing the westbound rest stop), that will become a good spot for a HHH.
Reply to: #978198 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 9, 2019 3:13pm
Thread
Would letterboxers like to get off at one exit for a HHH and the next for services?

Unfortunately, no. A good rule of thumb is to imagine a car with several passengers, only some of which give a #$%% about letterboxing. Imagine them trying to convince the others to make a stop. The same basic discussion goes on if there's only one person in the car, between his ears. Cruise control is set, exit is approaching, only so much daylight left in the day, ahhhh, fuggetaboutit, drive on by the exit.
Reply to: #978200 by Kirbert
Aug 9, 2019 3:24pm
Thread
That's what I figured. Then I don't really have any good place locally for a HHH.

That will please some people, but not those who want to drop off or pick up hitchhikers.
Harry Potter LTC opportunity
Aug 10, 2019 8:47am
Thread
Hey everyone! Don't miss out!
Re: Harry Potter LTC opportunity
Reply to: #978223 by SeerMeesh
Aug 10, 2019 10:39am
Thread
On what? Don't see anything listed.
Re: Harry Potter LTC opportunity
Reply to: #978223 by SeerMeesh
Aug 10, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
Reply to: #978103 by MissMoon
Aug 12, 2019 8:08am
Thread
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, the idea being that you can pick up/drop off travel bugs before and after travel, thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

While I agree on the comments about HHHs being "prisons" šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚, I also have the habit of forgetting HHs are in my bag. When I run into a HHH, then I remember to take it out and exchange it. So in that sense, a HHH is good for getting HHs moving.
Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Aug 12, 2019 8:28am
Thread
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well :) I was just wondering how to get the box to show up in the Simple Search -> Trip Search, in the various highways you can choose. I tried I-17 Mile 0 - End of Road, and don't see my box. Same goes for I-84 (West).

Is there anything special I have to do for my box to show up there? I of course am happy when my boxes are found, so it'd be nice to have it show up in the search, since they are intended to be quick interstate grabs.

Thanks!
Re: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 9:13am
Thread
I searched on Coconino National Forest and can see your box listing.
Then I searched on Flagstaff and could see that it's about 27 miles south as the crow flies.

Can you put a nearest town name in the location portion of the clues?

just my $.02
GG
Reply to: #978287 by Grrly Girl
Aug 12, 2019 11:01am
Thread
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

...so now it appears as a blue pin in the map search for "exact location."

But maybe there's something special I need to do to have it included in the route search.
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 11:36am
Thread
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well

I-11?
Crap.
*goes to update my profile*
Reply to: #978291 by Eidolon
Aug 12, 2019 11:49am
Thread
It's the newest interstate in the US. It's the US-93 corridor between Phoenix and Las Vegas that is being upgraded to interstate. The first section, between the Hoover Dam and Vegas was just completed at the end of last year.

I made a letterbox for it. Hahaha.

I don't see it in the dropdown list of highways/letterboxes in AQ's route search. I guess AQ needs to be updated :)
Aug 12, 2019 11:57am
Thread
Me? Depends on the box. I often times build boxes into my journey, so even 5-10 miles off the highway is a distinct possibility for me to stop. As me about stopping for popcorn in St. Augustine while headed out of Florida on 95. ;-) If I want to stop, the car will stop, especially when it's my car!

I also tend to travel with people who at the very least tolerate boxing, if not have already been converted into mostly eager boxers.
Reply to: #978289 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 1:29pm
Thread
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.
Reply to: #978284 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 6:38pm
Thread
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, [...] thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

This would be the advantage of the area that I was considering for a HHH. It is about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Ogden Airport; it would be about two miles driving. This airport is a regional airport so I don't seeing it getting a lot of letterboxing traffic. Maybe this won't actually be an advantage.
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 6:44pm
Thread
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds.

That would explain why I haven't been notified about the new one in Utah. From the description given I should have been notified.

I look forward to seeing where it is. Then I can plan a trip.