A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Planting at a Business
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #977370 by Origami Hen
Jul 18, 2019 8:55am
Thread
One problem I have run into is where there has been renovation work. This has happened at a coffee shop and at least one library that I tried. The boxes were planted so an employee didn't need to be "in the know", but the box was moved because of the renovation and no one knew where it was. One the owner hunted all over for the box and found it, but the library one was not found
Reply to: #977368 by Vintage Vixen
Jul 18, 2019 9:11am
Thread
I haven’t planted any indoors, but the ones I have found indoors were: at a small town pharmacy. I had to ask at the pharmacy counter & fortunately one of the three employees knew what I was talking about.; in a library. The boxes were magenetized to the back of book shelves. No issues there because I could just act as if I were looking through books to find box & replace.; & at a visitors center. This one was just in a corner under a bench. Employee knew about it & just pointed me to it.
Reply to: #977409 by lightbearer
Jul 18, 2019 9:28am
Thread
Problems I've run into with inside business plants:
"It's behind the cashier on the shelf, just ask for it."
Okay, so I asked. I could see it. Cashier was oblivious. Me, "the plastic box on the top shelf. Yes, that one." He pulls it down and I take it saying, "I'll be right back with it." Leave the building and go to my car to do the deed. The cashier seemed a bit stunned when I took it and left, but didn't try to stop me.

"Go up the stairs to the clothing department and ask the manager for the box."
Okay, up the stairs, "May I speak to the manager please?"
"I'm the manager" She said she's been the manager for 20 years and had no idea what I was talking about.

Go to this inn, ask for the letterbox.
No one was there, but the front door was open.
I went to the reception desk, looked around without getting too nosy, found the box in plain sight, took it to the car, brought it back to where I found it. Never saw an employee.

"Ask for the tie-dyed pouch."
Staff had no idea what I was talking about. Sat in a booth, ordered lunch and after a few minutes one of the staff brought a tie-dyed pouch to our table.
They went out of their way to find it for us.
Falls Diner in Hoosick Falls, NY. Good food (onion rings, mmmm) and great staff.
Reply to: #977368 by Vintage Vixen
Jul 18, 2019 10:27am
Thread
I have one box in a business that I have been going to for years and know the owner. She knows the box is there hidden in the shelf in her bookstore, but not all her employees know. It has been there for a few years, and it has survived a rearranging of shelves.
As a finder, I prefer to find things in a business and not have to ask for behind the counter boxes.
Reply to: #977413 by MysticzGal
Jul 18, 2019 11:01am
Thread
This has all been really helpful advice! Thank you to everyone who has shared an opinion. If anyone else stll has one, I'm open. Thanks again to each of you!
Reply to: #977411 by Grrly Girl
Jul 18, 2019 12:19pm
Thread
The cashier seemed a bit stunned

That's hilarious.

She said she's been the manager for 20 years and had no idea what I was talking about.

Same thing happened to me in RI. Manager for two years.....no clue. And I *was* able to go get it without asking but she happened to notice that I was doing something so got nosy. :)

took it to the car, brought it back to where I found it. Never saw an employee.

That's also hilarious. lol

Sat in a booth, ordered lunch and after a few minutes one of the staff brought a tie-dyed pouch to our table.
They went out of their way to find it for us.

Awwww, that was nice. *And* onion rings.
Re: Just . . . .DON'T!!
Reply to: #976821 by Kelsung
Jul 18, 2019 7:19pm
Thread
I often say that a SPOR (suspicious pile of rocks) is a bad idea. I now prefer to use an ISR (inconspicuous single rock).

Like these single rocks?
Reply to: #977410 by LadyRisa
Jul 18, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
The boxes were magenetized to the back of book shelves. No issues there because I could just act as if I were looking through books to find box & replace.

That is a great advantage of a library. Other places, people who linger around one place bending and stooping looks suspicious. At a library this is normal behavior.
Reply to: #977392 by KatieKat
Jul 19, 2019 4:06am
Thread
I planted a box inside a Schakolad Chocolate Factory which is a delicious and wonderful smelling home-made chocolate store with owner's permission. Placed the box on shelves with merchandise for sale. Here's the clue:

This is a HIPS box. Find it, stamp in, and replace it.

Please be very careful with merchandise on display.

Also, please identify yourself as a letterboxer because I've given the owners permission to heckle you.

I've had several comments that boxers do get heckled by staff when it's obvious they can't find the box among the merchandise. But everybody eventually finds it.
Beer for Life!
Jul 19, 2019 9:19am
Reply to: #977413 by MysticzGal
Jul 19, 2019 10:18am
Thread
As a finder, I prefer to find things in a business and not have to ask for behind the counter boxes.

I wholeheartedly agree!! And I do like library boxes. Most of them have worked out well especially on a rainy or frigid day. I have found some interesting ones at a wine store, a yarn store and a pie shop, just to name a few ;-)
Reply to: #977453 by BBStacker
Jul 19, 2019 10:26am
Thread
I've had several comments that boxers do get heckled by staff when it's obvious they can't find the box among the merchandise. But everybody eventually finds it.

Maybe they are taking their time to find the box so they can enjoy the aroma of chocolate longer ;-)
Buried in Beach Sand
Jul 21, 2019 2:48am
Thread
I know it's considered a no-no to bury a letterbox, but does a beach constitute an exception? First off, you wouldn't need to bring a shovel; it's easy to dig beach sand with your bare hands. Second, it's often difficult to hide a box any other way on a sandy beach. Interestingly, buried on a beach would make for the most traditional "treasure hunt" experience ("Pace off 7 steps N from the palm tree.")

What do we think? If you think it'd be OK to bury a letterbox on a beach, hit [interesting]. If you think such a hide is bad form, hit [educational].
Re: Buried in Beach Sand
Reply to: #977539 by Kirbert
Jul 21, 2019 3:42am
Thread
It has already been done.
"x" Marks the Spot
Jul 21, 2019 3:50am
Thread
I did it too
Shoreline "Paradise".
The quotes were once for the keyword for the cipher clue but I've since eliminated the cipher.
Jul 21, 2019 6:06am
Thread
I don't have a philosophical problem with burying in sand, more of a practical one. It seems to me that the wind or critters would be able to uncover the box and leave it exposed. I've found boxes before at the beach where they were supposedly hidden well but a storm came though and rearranged the beach and let the box on the surface.
Jul 21, 2019 7:10am
Thread
Living near the coast, I’ve seen a variety of sand buried boxes. Things to avoid -

burying it in the sand under a boardwalk - there is zero chance of recovering it in stealth mode

burying it anywhere near water - sand and water shift dramatically with no provocation whatsoever

burying it anywhere near local critters - they will dig it up, especially seagulls!

You also run the risk of having finders digging a deeper and deeper (or shallower and shallower) hidey hole.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Warrior Woman
by the sea by the sea
Jul 21, 2019 9:14am
Thread
I don’t have a problem with it. It’s not geocaching after all. I haven’t buried one but I’ve considered it.

My idea was to find 4 relatively non-movable landmarks (trees, boulders, etc) and require finders to bring string and tie off to them forming an X where there box would be buried.
Reply to: #977552 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 21, 2019 12:10pm
Thread
I found a box with the help of two friends where we each had to stand at a different fixed location, train our compasses to specific degrees, and had to take X numbers of steps walking toward each other and the box was where we met up.

Warrior Woman
good times good times
Reply to: #977552 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 21, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
I don’t have a problem with it. It’s not geocaching after all.

Back before the rule where you could not move any sand or soil, I "buried" two geocaches. What I did was to use a section of 4" pipe. I dug down a few inches, put the pipe on the ground, pulled out a few inches of sand and tapped down the pipe. I repeated this until the top of the pipe was level with the starting level of the sand.

The first one was a multi-cache. I covered the end of the pipe with a piece of concrete. I had to move the second stage when it was raided. I had to finally archive the cache once the location of the first stage was surrounded by a fence.

The second one is still there. I found a piece of wood, cut it so that it would only go in a few inches and act as a plug.

Either of these ideas could be used to hide a letterbox. This would make the letterbox easy to retrieve and re-hide.
Jul 21, 2019 3:19pm
Thread
I buried one in the sand (a limited time box for an event weekend).
After the weekend, I could not find it!
I needed to return with a rake - it was several feet away from the clued location.
Jul 22, 2019 12:49am
Thread
I know it's considered a no-no to bury a letterbox

This is news to me. I've found lots of buried letterboxes, and buried a couple myself.

K
Reply to: #977545 by PI Joe
Jul 22, 2019 4:50am
Thread
These are the same thoughts I was having about it ... what PI Joe said ...
Reply to: #977568 by Kelsung
Jul 22, 2019 5:56am
Thread
It’s one of those old, original rules no one pays any attention to any more, like not planting in rock walls.

It’s in the code of conduct section. Says not to dig holes. ::::shrug:::
Reply to: #977573 by MissMoon
Jul 22, 2019 6:34am
Thread
What do you mean no one pays attention to not planting in rock walks? Seriously? That is one of the most destructive places you could possibly pick to plant a box. 150% of the time, the wall will be dismantled and destroyed. Here in RI, rock walls are *sacred*. Use it as a reference point, use it for directions, but for heavens sake, do not use it as a hiding place.

Warrior Woman
reverent
Reply to: #977575 by Warrior Woman
Jul 22, 2019 9:54am
Thread
one of the most destructive places you could possibly pick to plant a box. 150% of the time, the wall will be dismantled and destroyed. Here in RI, rock walls are *sacred*.

I have less trouble with letterboxes in rock walls than geocaches. With a letterbox, you can describe exactly where the box is supposed to be, and a finder can quickly confirm whether it is there or not. In geocaching, the GPS only brings you within 30 feet, so you have to search the wall. And heaven forbid the cache has gone missing, because finders will demolish the entire wall looking for it.
Reply to: #977575 by Warrior Woman
Jul 22, 2019 10:05am
Thread
I should have said :::many:::: do not. I find lots of boxes in rock walls and have for many years now. Planted by people with varying years of experience.

I have a couple in walls. Clues are VERY SPECIFIC. They are near me, get almost no finders and walls are thus far undamaged. Lots of NY boxes in walls. Also Connecticut.

And at least a couple in RI.

Don’t kill the messenger.
PDA
Jul 22, 2019 10:34am
Thread
Reply to: #977580 by MissMoon
Jul 22, 2019 11:06am
Thread
Hardly killing the messenger, MissMoon, just horrified by the thought!

Warrior Woman
still reverent
Looking for a 'boxer ...
Jul 22, 2019 11:26am
Thread
Hello! Haven't been on for a while, but received this message on a blog of mine:

"Anonymous said…
I am a letterboxer, and I am looking for you! Would you mind contacting me on AQ? Nothing nefarious or life-changing. I have a wonderful, homeless stamp I was hoping you could help me with.
July 16, 2019 at 2:50 PM"

I want to help you, and perhaps you will read this message and we can connect!

Thank you to all who have logged my boxes found or attempted - logging certainly helps other 'boxers plan their adventures! I have not maintained any of my boxes for years, so it is fun to see that quite a few are still alive! And, any maintenance visitors can give when they visit is very appreciated, as well!

Glad to see AQ doing well - so many new things to explore!

your long-lost friend,
SHH (aka Inky Jedi)