About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 15, 2019 6:05pm
Thread
Found this while doing some googling for a mystery box. What a great source for places to put historical boxes!

https://www.hmdb.org
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Reply to: #976390 by MissMoon
Jun 16, 2019 5:31am
Thread
Tell Brandy!
Re: Revival of long ago boxer?
Reply to: #976375 by Okie Dog
Jun 16, 2019 7:41am
Thread
Thanks - it's fun to be back. I'd forgotten how exciting the hunt can be.

At the end of the school year I dug out my old journals and supplies and got the bug again.

We've talked Happy Days into getting back into it again too (although they've changed their trail name to Good Ole Days).

We spent last weekend in Ardmore and only scratched the surface of that treasure trove!
Reply to: #976390 by MissMoon
Jun 16, 2019 7:16pm
Thread
Here's the site to search the ones in Texas
https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/

"The Atlas features more than 300,000 site records, including data on Official Texas Historical Markers and National Register of Historic Places properties in Texas. Also included are cemeteries, courthouses, museums, and sawmills across the state. You can search by keyword, county, address, historic designation, or site name to get instant access to detailed descriptions, historic photographs, and interactive maps."
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976254 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 6:46pm
Thread
Changing dates to fix routes.
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 10:31pm
Thread
What was it about AQ that gave you anxiety?
Reply to: #976416 by photopam
Jun 19, 2019 3:12pm
Thread
Thanks!

Along with a few different categories, this site also lists by state. :)

https://www.hmdb.org/results.asp?State=Texas

I found a ton of them just in the "near me" list. (New York)
Reply to: #976462 by MissMoon
Jun 19, 2019 3:54pm
Thread
When it is too hot to letterbox, I play at Waymarking and use the following links to help find Waymarks and to get the information needed to log a Waymark. Many of them would also provide terrific locations for letterboxes.

*National Register of Historic Places
*National Historic Landmarks
*Roadside America
*Virtual Globetrotting
*Pennsylvania Historical Markers - more complete than the listing on the Texas website and probably similar to websites for each state. Besides Pennsylvania, I have one bookmarked for Virginia, Florida, Delaware and New Jersey.
*Highpoint of Each State
Reply to: #976463 by Janila
Jun 19, 2019 7:04pm
Thread
Waymarking is cool. I keep saying I'm going to get into it and never do. Roadside America is one of my all time favorite sites! That globetrotting looks interesting.

Survey Benchmarks are cool also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_marker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmarking_(geolocating)

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/
Reply to: #976455 by The Lost Boys
Jun 20, 2019 10:48am
Thread
It started with a fight between me and my boxing buddy that dissolved our friendship. Then I didn't want to run into her, so I started to LTC. It wasn't as fulfilling and I still had a lot of time. Then my kids didn't want to go as much, but do other things, so I signed up for more, but my creativity failed me and deadlines closed in. Just bringing out the pink stuff made my heart race and have me hyperventilating and freaking out. I felt like I wasn't good enough and I was letting everyone down, but I couldn't stop. I couldn't talk to anyone on AQ because I was feeling judged even though no one was. It was all in my head. And even though I say all of this out loud, I still have those feelings. I'm just missing boxing enough to try again. Fingers crossed.
Reply to: #976467 by MissMoon
Jun 20, 2019 11:14am
Thread
thanks for all these wonderful places to check out! I must check out waymarking. I agree with you about Roadside America. Can't wait to investigate!
Reply to: #976478 by SeerMeesh
Jun 20, 2019 4:05pm
Thread
Welcome back! Sorry this hobby brought you anxiety. I’ve been boxing only 2.5 years now and use it as an outlet, it helps get me out in the wilds and have made some friends through it. I hope it starts to bring you joy again.
Jun 21, 2019 3:06am
Thread
I totally get how anxiety can get in your head and distort reality. I hope you are able to find joy in boxing again, and I applaud you for taking a deep breath and coming back.

If you ever get to SW OH, let me know. I promise judgement free boxing!
Re: Cemetery Boxing
Reply to: #976041 by Janila
Jun 21, 2019 7:25am
Thread
Definitely come to Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, IN!
Jun 21, 2019 6:20pm
Thread
A few years ago, I had an incident between myself and someone else and almost stopped letterboxing. What brought me back was an LTC tracker and I just was drawn back first into carving and second into boxing again. In the end, I didn't let what happened between us stop me from pursuing a hobby that I love. An additional thing that also helped was that I did a carve that was carthartic for my mental health to let me get past what happened in our relationship. It really worked for me. I hope you can get past what happened so that you can once again enjoy the hobby that you love!!

Lynn
Reply to: #976536 by Phoenix Rizing
Jun 21, 2019 6:31pm
Thread
And we are all VERY glad you are still here!!! One of my favorite boxing memories was planting with you in Long Island... at a police kiosk! We were idiots, but had a blast!
Reply to: #976538 by wassamatta u
Jun 21, 2019 7:03pm
Thread
I think that stamp is still there!!

Thanks, Wassa, that means a lot. I just love to carve and that stamp was an awesome tribute to you!! And I teach others to carve now and that would never have happened either.

Lynn
Hooray for AtlasQuest!
Jun 24, 2019 5:34pm
Happy AQversary to AtlasQuest! Where would I be without you? Down in the dumps, probably.
A wayward box in Chicago
Jun 26, 2019 5:01am
So a while back I got a message from glad matt here on AQ that a logbook, missing the stamp I suppose, was found from my box, Music Makes You Free, during some spring cleaning at the hostel it was planted. I answered him but never got a reply. I hope he checks his AQ mail, but it looks like it was a new account just to message me. Anyone know that person? Or anyone familiar with Chicago or the Hostel Earphoria? I'd love to get the log back if the stamp is missing, or the whole thing if they don't want it any more.
Free Pay it Fwd Package
Jun 26, 2019 3:07pm
Thread
To Whom it May Concern: the Cross Family would Like To Thank You for the Generous Gift Received by Us Today!.....James ..Lisa....Melanie.....Letter boxers Can be a Special Kind of People!
Please update your MAP links
Jun 27, 2019 3:39am
Thread
Dear Planters -
If you have links to websites or especially if you have links to Trail Maps, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check those links once a year and update or remove as appropriate. Much appreciated.
Thank you very much!
Have an inky day.
Re: Free Pay it Fwd Package
Reply to: #976712 by Cross Family
Jun 27, 2019 4:04am
Thread
What a kind gesture that was. Happy today!
Re: Please update your MAP links
Reply to: #976718 by SherlockMiles
Jun 27, 2019 4:07am
Thread
Thank you for the tip. The challenge is that, with hundreds of plants, I am trying to remember where we might have links that could be checked. Haha.
Re: Please update your MAP links
Reply to: #976718 by SherlockMiles
Jun 27, 2019 4:22am
Thread
That's a good reminder. I'd also ask finders to let planters know if a link is broken, since I'm assuming the finders are printing out trail maps when they're printing out the clues.
Just . . . .DON'T!!
Jun 29, 2019 10:53am
Thread
From a log today:

Lots of the trees/logs were decomposing. I didn't move any of them but tried to Mark some of them more obviously for you, ie a few rocks on top, sticks in an x, etc.

It's been said many times, but apparently it has to be said again. Planters do not appreciate having their boxes made "more obvious" by putting extra sticks and rocks, pointing them out. Most consider it a definite "No, thanks"!! After all, YOU found it, didn't you? Don't assume the next person needs your "help", especially since the next person you made it more obvious for, may well be a muggle.

Put it back as you found it, cover it well, and do not put additional pointers to the hiding place.
Re: Just . . . .DON'T!!
Reply to: #976817 by Wise Wanderer
Jun 29, 2019 1:57pm
Thread
I hope you wrote them back directly, as well as posting this.

I often say that a SPOR (suspicious pile of rocks) is a bad idea. I now prefer to use an ISR (inconspicuous single rock).

K
Re: Hitchhiker
Reply to: #930863 by roo
Jul 3, 2019 7:52am
Thread
Thank you for this link - although it's an old message. I just came across this HH a couple weeks ago and couldn't find a box number to log it until searching the message boards. The logbook was soaked, so it's getting a little TLC dry time before being replanted. :)

(it's currently wandering Rhode Island).
Reply to: #976940 by measiwitch
Jul 3, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
it's currently wandering Rhode Island).

Warrior Woman
has my undivided attention
Reply to: #976954 by Warrior Woman
Jul 5, 2019 11:06am
Thread
I'll be replanting it on Sunday once the heat dies down a little... if you want a little hint, I'll be happy to give it once it finds its new temporary home! :)
My very first plant is still there.
Jul 7, 2019 9:52am
Thread
After more than 10 years all it needed was a new box. One tab was broken, but still sealed.
Thank you to the finders who took the time to make sure the contents were protected.