Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: How far have you driven to find a specific letterbox?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976150 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 10, 2019 11:47am
Thread
Hard to know if it fits exactly in your criteria... but I recently returned from a drive that basically was planned to search out a box planted in September 2013 and never found... needless to say that was tempting since I like difficult problems... So I determined to go have a look when I had a chance... there were also a few others in the area with few or no finders to look for if time allowed...

Where it gets fuzzy is where the trip add on's muddy the waters... too long a trip to be exclusively a hunt for a single box... and became a visit to an internet friend who lives there... and of course there were the miles before and after wanting attention as well... so it still was a long jaunt with the primary intent to find a particular box..

Trip was from Cranbrook BC to Saskatoon SK all within Canada... the outbound trip was roughly 1010 km. / 627 mi. and about the same coming home via Drumheller AB... and thus the longest for me for one box... but not exclusively...

Was a 'not found' but, I think I might have made indirect contact with it... that's another story... possibly I hit a rock sitting on a hollow or box... maybe next year.

Otherwise, the trip was successful... found the last cache anywhere near me... but that wasn't hard... found another that was a never found, a boxless box... just a stamp. That was fun in a way since I am still trying to find the box it replaced... as soon as I find the sign it was attached to... there were two one at each end of a tourist area... I did find the sign at the far end after it was restored, but moved out of the area with only a rough idea who had the remaining sign and box...

Up in Saskatoon I did find one that was 'missing' since 2015 (I think) same owner as the one I was seeking... and it is fine... and one other that was a no show... but well serviced by parks workers so probably 'cleaned up' but still possible.

After that day I was finished and went to visit my friend... next day we were off to see what others had found at the Royal Tyrell Museum at Drumheller... lots of dinosaurs over there... then home.

Whether it counts or not it was entertaining... the distance from the AB boxless to the one in Saskatoon was still over 800 km one way...just under 500 miles.
Reply to: #976158 by BetsyLee
Jun 10, 2019 11:49am
Thread
I drove for three hours by myself to Spencer Crest Nature Center in Corning NY in our very oldest car, a 1992 Acclaim. I was having major abdominal surgery again the next day.

You are my hero!!!
Jun 10, 2019 1:07pm
Thread
So the idea is that you are just out and about and all of a sudden you decide, Oh I should get this letterbox? And how long or far did you drive at that point? Cause pretty much every time we get in the car somewhere....we ask, did you look and see what letterboxes we can get? So all our drives are about getting boxes (if we can, if they are along our route) ---And some of those "bucket list" boxes, we do make a special trip out of it. (Cranmere Pool anyone?? -- Max Patch??!! LOL)

-Amanda from Seattle
Jun 10, 2019 1:13pm
Thread
I'm not talking about a letterboxing road trip! I'm not talking about letterboxing while on vacation.

It's pretty hard for us to distinguish between vacations, road trips and traveling out of direction for letterboxes. We once planned a weekend vacation to get one particular box... that was about a 500 miles round trip. We did get 10 other incidental boxes while we were there. We also drove an extra 180 miles on a road trip to get one Kirbert box. It was worth it.

Old Blue
Jun 10, 2019 2:22pm
Thread
Two hours, to find a specific series of boxes for my 1000th find. The boxes were pulled by the owner without even notifying anything in the clue. :(
Jun 10, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
In 2014 I persuaded my boyfriend to drive us to northern New Jersey so I could look for one of the Summer of Eevil letterboxes. We started out from mid-Connecticut. The drive took about 3 hours; I guess it was 180 miles, more or less. I didn't live with him at the time and I had to meet up with him first, so I ended up traveling around 200 miles from home to look for this thing. We got a hotel room kind of nearby (closest one we could get was a 40-minute drive away; for some reason everything closer was booked up) and stayed over the weekend. It turned into a weekend trip (for me; he would have preferred to stay at home to watch football instead) but we wouldn't have been there if not for the box. Unfortunately I didn't find the letterbox on this excursion.

It wasn't until two years later that I had another chance to search for it, when my sister was kind enough to drive me to the location, but we came from New York City. (Which was half the distance, but not much of a savings in driving time, apparently.) Thankfully I did find the Pentatuckus of Doom this time.
Reply to: #976174 by Amanda from Seattle
Jun 10, 2019 2:46pm
Thread
So the idea is that you are just out and about and all of a sudden you decide, Oh I should get this letterbox? And how long or far did you drive at that point? Cause pretty much every time we get in the car somewhere....we ask, did you look and see what letterboxes we can get? So all our drives are about getting boxes (if we can, if they are along our route) ---And some of those "bucket list" boxes, we do make a special trip out of it. (Cranmere Pool anyone?? -- Max Patch??!! LOL)

All true....but I was interested more in the trips that were planned specifically to get a certain box. For instance we drove from north of Seattle to Astoria OR (210 miles) for the express purpose of finding a specific box. We did get other boxes while we were there. However, we would have made that drive for that box even if there were no other boxes there.
Reply to: #976175 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Jun 10, 2019 2:49pm
Thread
We once planned a weekend vacation to get one particular box... that was about 500 miles round trip. We did get 10 other incidental boxes while we were there. We also drove an extra 180 miles on a road trip to get one Kirbert box. It was worth it.

This is exactly what I was talking about! We once drove 210 miles to get one certain box. We did get other boxes while we were there, but we would have made that drive for that box even if there were no other boxes there.
Reply to: #976181 by west dover quidditch team
Jun 10, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
The boxes were pulled by the owner without even notifying anything in the clue. :(

Oh dear :(
Reply to: #976183 by oj drinker
Jun 10, 2019 2:51pm
Thread
you did it twice for the same box! Bravo!! I'm glad you finally found it. :)
Reply to: #976185 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 10, 2019 4:49pm
Thread
All true....but I was interested more in the trips that were planned specifically to get a certain box.

As the years go by, I do it more and more often. I am getting more satisfaction out of those kind of trips than going for multiple boxes. I get a huge rush out of old boxes now, boxes rarely found, boxes in weird unknown locations.
Reply to: #976185 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 10, 2019 5:47pm
Thread
So back in the day, I used to routinely drive from Seattle to Portland, OR to find any letterbox. At the time, I was pretty much one of half a dozen folks in the Seattle area letterboxing and the Portland, OR area had dozens of folks participating and planting at a much higher rate. So I would drive approximately 170 miles (over 300 roundtrip) for the day just to letterbox.

When I began letterboxing, there was one box in the Seattle area at Rattlesnake Ridge and there were dozens down in Portland, OR. So once I found that first box, I had to drive down to Oregon to find the next closest box. :-)

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #976197 by MissMoon
Jun 10, 2019 8:16pm
Thread
I am getting more satisfaction out of those kind of trips than going for multiple boxes. I get a huge rush out of old boxes now, boxes rarely found, boxes in weird unknown locations.

Me too :)
Reply to: #976197 by MissMoon
Jun 10, 2019 9:34pm
Thread
I have a series no one even tried to find. It's been waiting a year!
Reply to: #976215 by Sunia
Jun 11, 2019 3:14am
Thread
WOW, I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods; but now that I hear all these delightful stories it won't be so hard to justify any longer.
Reply to: #976224 by Sagacorn
Jun 11, 2019 4:42am
Thread
I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods

"JUST"???? lol

The only justification you need is that you are doing something you enjoy. Life is short. :)

“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about” ~ George Kingsley
Jun 11, 2019 9:55am
Thread
9 hours round trip to find a pair of boxes.
Then the same trip a few years later to repair those 20+ year old boxes!

I also drove 30 hours each way to attend an event. It was for the eclipse, but I could have picked a spot only 12-15 hours from home!
Reply to: #976237 by RIclimber
Jun 11, 2019 1:33pm
Thread
9 hours round trip to find a pair of boxes.
Then the same trip a few years later to repair those 20+ year old boxes!

good job! I like it :)
Reply to: #976224 by Sagacorn
Jun 11, 2019 1:37pm
Thread
WOW, I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods; but now that I hear all these delightful stories it won't be so hard to justify any longer.

And I think it's because we aren't just finding
plastic in the woods

. We are looking for a treasure; a piece of unique art; a hand carved piece of art; the hike or walk through the woods; the finding of a special piece of history or nature where the box is hidden; the experience---the whole package. It much more than a piece of plastic in the woods!
Reply to: #976215 by Sunia
Jun 11, 2019 1:38pm
Thread
I have a series no one even tried to find. It's been waiting a year!

I understand....so do I :( Someday....someone will come :) Don't give up!
Reply to: #976152 by SherlockMiles
Jun 11, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
May I ask which box? I’m in VT a lot...
Update: Life
Jun 11, 2019 3:30pm
Thread
I hope this message finds you well. It's been a long time since I've been on this site. This is going to be a doozy for me, so sit back and buckle up!
I want to explain why I've been gone so long from letterboxing. It's actually a mixture of a bunch of things .
First we're going to talk about why it was so hard for me to come back to the site . Somethin that wants head held so much joy had turned into almost a nightmare. I have never felt anxiety the way I had when I had opend atlasquest. I couldn't talk to my friends who had been stamping by my side for many years. I was ashamed of my anxiety and couldn't force myself to come back to the site. It seems silly looking back on it. It's hard even now, but I have a ray of hope. A potential boxing buddy. A new friend who found one of my boxes by accident. I'm hoping to show her the wonders of boxing and reconnect with people I've missed.
Secondly, it's with difficult news to tell you all that MissMo is going in for surgery next month. She's 14 now - hard to believe she's so grown up - but was diagnosed with a low grade brain tumor - a little bigger than a jellybean - and has been through numerous years of tests now. Many of you all were super kind to her as she was often one of the youngest to spend time with us. I'm sure she'll be fine, but to know why she's not been up to joining me. She's endured a lot, but she's using sarcasm and dark humor to get by.
Then there's my son - SuperGav. It's been tough with dealing with his mental issues as well, taking up a lot of free time.
So here I am, I think 4 years after my last boxing attempt, trying to come back. I missed you guys.....
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 3:33pm
Thread
It is an absolute joy to welcome you back!!!
Reply to: #976247 by wassamatta u
Jun 11, 2019 4:24pm
Thread
Thanks. And one of my first acts of business is to check my boxes.
Reply to: #976242 by detective
Jun 11, 2019 4:41pm
Thread
May I ask which box? I’m in VT a lot...

One of mine.
Reply to: #976249 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
I don't know you, but I very nearly went looking for a few of your boxes today. Instead I searched in vain for some very old Mathman boxes, but it is still pretty funny to log in here and see your name pop up. Tell me which series is hardest for you to get to and I can make them my goal this week and send you updates, if you want. I'm fairly equidistant to all of your series, which is why I recognized your name right away. :)
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:21pm
Thread
I'm looking to go to Menomonee Park on the 23rd. Those seem to be bad and there are 4 loops so I'll be there all day. Then I'm looking to check in at Algonquin Park, Kletzch park and Fox River Park in July. Brown Deer's series may be a wash as there were quite a few missing already. Trying to remember what else I have out there.... lol.
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:22pm
Thread
Always looking for a travel buddy!
Revival of long ago boxer?
Jun 15, 2019 2:46pm
Thread
Is it really true?

Compass Points. A new box planted, too...
Welcome back.

OD
Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Jun 15, 2019 6:05pm
Thread
Found this while doing some googling for a mystery box. What a great source for places to put historical boxes!

https://www.hmdb.org