A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: What are you doing today?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #975529 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 27, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
Plotting my escape room for my event in September.

While I have a great storyline and "room" set up, I have three more puzzles for my victims, ...... ahem ...... the teams--I meant teams, to solve.

Plotting can be hard. Even for an evil kitty. Facts are facts.

csk
May 27, 2019 3:54pm
Thread
Hosted an indoor picnic for our 5 of our closest neighbors, and now just chilling before starting to get ready for the Wakeda event this coming weekend. Luckily all my stamps are done, a special 6 stamp series just for the event, 2 nightboxing stamps, a Groovy version of my Sig stamp, and a new impersonal traveler.
May 27, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
Moved a log box of a new series I planted because it turned out to be surrounded by poison ivy. Temporarily pulled another series of mine after reports of water penetration.. drying out the carves and reglazing them while cooking tips on the grill and drinking Trillium.
May 27, 2019 4:37pm
Thread
Well I work today but I’m still happy about planting my first box in three years a couple days ago so I’ve been enjoying the feeling of getting back into the hobby.
May 27, 2019 4:56pm
Thread
I left the house early to attempt to capture Field of Flags at sunrise, and it was a bit cloudy. It was still beautiful to see almost 800 flags standing across a field.

Then R and I spent a much needed day of rest together before he headed to New York. There was some time at the pool with H and a friend, and now I am resting on the back.deck listening to the birds.

Sometimes the simple days are the best.
May 27, 2019 5:34pm
Thread
We went boxing in Farmington, Maine. Found 9 then were overcome with ticks, too much to continue the rest in that particular location ... so, we headed off for Thai food and then headed home ... (after brushing all the ticks off and shaking everything out, disrobing in a public bathroom to inspect each other again (found two more) TMI, I know .. ewwwww).
Reply to: #975543 by west dover quidditch team
May 27, 2019 6:15pm
Thread
Moved a log box of a new series I planted because it turned out to be surrounded by poison ivy.

The first box I planted turned out to be in a field of poison ivy.

I had planted it in early spring before the poison ivy was very big. When I was notified I checked and it was pretty spars, so I just warned boxers about the poison ivy and that it was sparse. After a year (or two?) I decided to move it to a place nearer the trail. It is actually hidden better in the new place, and boxers only have to deal with the rose bush.
Reply to: #975547 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 27, 2019 6:38pm
Thread
yes, because I planted both of these series pre-emergent, in the original clues I warned folks not to cache the clues up-front for this reason. Hopefully, noone did.
Reply to: #975536 by Boxer Lover47
May 27, 2019 6:41pm
Thread
Oberon_Kenobi wrote:
On the other hand, I have eight more targets.

Boxer Lover 47 wrote:
What is the minimum number of fingers you need to drive to the urgent care facility?

Well, the wounds were small enough that even if I had them on all fingers, I would still be able to drive.

But if needed, I'm sure that I could call you to help me. ;-)

However, I did make it through the rest of the carve. There was another impact of the blade with my skin but it didn't result in a wound. The Tan-Z seems to be a little harder than OZ, even with a newly-sharpened blade. Except for some possible cleanup of the carve, it is finished.
May 27, 2019 8:15pm
Thread
I am organizing letterboxes to replace on trails at Homer Lake Forest Preserve near Homer, Il and doing a few carves for Homerdoodle in the Woods to be held in Mahomet, IL this summer. We also checked out a state park in Illinois today.
Reply to: #975549 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 27, 2019 9:14pm
Thread
😲
Reply to: #975534 by Dawnkey
May 28, 2019 5:30am
Thread
finding as many Safari Man stamps as possible.

Awesome on so many levels...
Reply to: #975531 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 28, 2019 6:07am
Thread
On the other hand, I have eight more targets

You have 8 fingers on your other hand?
Reply to: #975563 by photopam
May 28, 2019 7:10am
Thread
I was impressed with the apparent ambidexterity...
Reply to: #975567 by frankie and benjy
May 28, 2019 10:11am
Thread
A really skilled person could hit the same digit twice, right?
Reply to: #975578 by Wry Me
May 28, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
A really skilled person could hit the same digit twice, right?

A really skilled person wouldn't hit any.
Reply to: #975534 by Dawnkey
May 28, 2019 9:27pm
Thread
(eastern half of Ohio with the goal of finding as many Safari Man stamps as possible. We’ve found 37 so far.)

Good for you!! Yea!!!! Fun to hear they are still being found. Recently heard from a boxer here in Tulsa that some of his were found that I figured were destroyed. They have been making changes to the park they were planted in. I don't walk the trails any more to check on them. I hope in the future of the changes yet to be done there that they survive for any others that should hope to find them.

Happy Trails!
May 28, 2019 9:41pm
Thread
We just settled in for the night, but we spent the day traveling down the Oregon Coast, hitting a few drive-by's along the way. I am traveling with my 80 year old Mom. We left Texas 2 weeks ago, went through TX, NM, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR and are now in CA in the redwoods. We've collected quite a few stamps! I just became a premium member, because I have so enjoyed letter-boxing with both my teenage son and my mom, I figured I should support the site! :) I am still getting used to the boards, but will play around with them more when I get home.
May 28, 2019 9:58pm
Thread
My partner, dog and I went for a hike in a park that I boxed a few days ago...so no boxing today. Then we went for two-for-one blizzards at DQ. It was a good day.
Newbie Question
May 29, 2019 10:10am
Thread
What does the type of boxes mean?
Traditional, Cootie, etc?
Re: Newbie Question
Reply to: #975629 by SevenAcreWoods
May 29, 2019 10:15am
Thread
Welcome!

You'll want to check out the Letterboxing Glossary for the answers to those questions and more.
Renegade Clues
May 31, 2019 8:37am
Thread
All renegade clues are now available without having to email for them. But, the clues are restricted, so you must have placed and found boxes to be able to access. Hopefully this helps.

The Letterboxing Renegades
Re: Renegade Clues
Reply to: #975716 by Renegades
May 31, 2019 12:39pm
Thread
This. Is. Awesome.

Thank you for the policy change - much appreciated!
Hiding in a library
Jun 3, 2019 9:13am
Thread
Anyone ever hid boxes in hollowed out books in a library?
I've emailed the library to see if they're interested. I don't want to be sneaky about it.

Any tips?
Re: Hiding in a library
Reply to: #975814 by Compass Points
Jun 3, 2019 9:46am
Thread
Anyone ever hid boxes in hollowed out books in a library?
I've emailed the library to see if they're interested. I don't want to be sneaky about it.

Check with Casa del Sol. She did a series in all the VA Beach library branches and worked with the library to get them placed and even catalogued.
Jun 3, 2019 9:51am
Thread
Hi

We have not hid one in a library, but we did find one in a library. See AQ# 114745. Please let us know how your experience goes as we would like to hide one in a library too.

Good luck

ODS
Jun 3, 2019 12:57pm
Thread
I haven't planted one but have found a lot. Some of them are known to the staff and some are not. The ones in hollowed out books that are unknown to the staff are located in a really obscure corner/shelf that no one ever goes on. Some people put magnetic boxes under metal shelves and the library doesn't know.

The only issue with letting the library in on it is the fact that there is no way for everyone on the staff to always know about it. Or people who may volunteer, or employees for years to come.

Nothing wrong with being sneaky. It's sneaky in a nice way.
Jun 3, 2019 1:40pm
Thread
This box is at our local library. I craved it and put it all together before I even asked permission. I thought that it might be easier to get a yes if they could see it and understand what I was saying. If they refused me, then I would have gone to a book store.

I took the finished product to the desk, explained it, and asked for permission. Two women were laughing and clearly making fun of me, not getting it. Conveniently, another woman came over and asked, "Is this letterboxing?" It turned out that she was a geocacher, and she couches for me that this was a real game.

The book was given a label on the side so that it looks like an actual library book, and it was put on the shelf in the appropriate place in the appropriate section. They key to open the little safe inside of the book is behind the desk.

At a later date, I was with someone when they went to find the box. They took the book to check it out. A woman at the counter (who was the main woman originally laughing at me) for the key, unlocked it, and told the letterboxer that she could stamp it right there at the counter. Haha. She was very protective of the box, and that made me feel good.
Jun 3, 2019 1:42pm
Thread
I have a number of library plants, and I decided to go with magnetic pouches on the underside of shelves rather than hollowed-out books. Books, I would worry, have a chance of being removed by a librarian or patron by mistake, plus books also get moved around a lot, so location is always shifting.

When I've planted at a small local library, I've gotten permission from the branch manager, but when I've planted at a very large downtown library, I've done it on the down low, on the theory that telling any one person on the staff wouldn't be much help.
Jun 3, 2019 2:24pm
Thread
Mine are slowly going missing as they cull books. However, several have been around a long while, so there's that. I used withdrawn books, so that they still had all the library labels and Dewey numbers, and looked like they belonged there, hacked a hole for the stamp, and let the pages themselves serve as a logbook. When I add to this series, I will probably use a magnetized box under a shelf. I don't agree with asking permission, so I didn't do that, but it's possible a kind librarian would have kept an eye out for my others, but I doubt it.