Apr 18, 2019 8:13am
Thread
Condolences.
Re: 2019 hallmark
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974298 by SherlockMiles
Apr 18, 2019 8:15am
Thread
I might actually have to get that one. Nice.
Apr 18, 2019 12:51pm
Thread
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?
Re: Larry Lizard
Reply to: #974301 by Baqash
Apr 18, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
I'm so sorry for your loss! ((Hugs))
Reply to: #974315 by Kirbert
Apr 18, 2019 1:28pm
Thread

True story:
Martin Dies State Park had these really cool neon park shirts with a compass rose on them. Affixed to the back was a disclaimer warning purchasers not to use it for navigational purposes and that they would not be held liable for misuse, injury, etc. Hilarious.

So now, if you ask me which way is north, I can point to my chins.
Apr 18, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
I gotta get that!!!
Reply to: #974315 by Kirbert
Apr 18, 2019 7:37pm
Thread

As real and functioning as any.
Re: Recommend inexpensive markers?
Reply to: #973763 by Trail Fairy
Apr 20, 2019 6:42am
Thread
Thanks so much Everyone! All the ideas and tips are extremely helpful!!
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 20, 2019 3:47pm
Thread
I managed to get 78 new traditional boxes hidden before my busy season at work hit. I have about 4 others ready for hiding but one of my hiding places didn't pan out the way I hoped so I didn't leave it... and another I just need to go over there and hide it. I hoped to hit 100- oh well! I'm still personally impressed that I managed this many, and that so many others have hidden so many as well!

I don't mind chipping in $3. We drive (or fly!) all over the place for events and give donations to the hosts to cover their costs. This is basically the same- helping cover the costs for those who came up with this unique 'event' that inspired us all to hide more boxes for each other.

In the end I bet some people will be generous and help cover the costs for those choose not to. It always seems to work out in the end. I hope that you don't let a $3 donation (Whether or not you pay it) spoil the spirit of what has happened the past few months-- did you have fun carving? Planting? Getting extra reason to get out and DO it? Finding stamps hidden by others because of this challenge? Did you find a new trail because you were scouting a new place to plant, or because someone planted where you've never been? Because in the end, THAT is really what it was all about.
Reply to: #974391 by Munkeybee
Apr 20, 2019 4:29pm
Thread
Today I planted #8, 9, and 10. Woohooo!!! I made it. Did you see the 2 I dedicated to you? If not, check them out. You need to come back to Indian Trail and find them.
Reply to: #974394 by THE RED CYCLONE
Apr 20, 2019 5:37pm
Thread
Awww did you really?? I'll look those up! I'll have to head back out there! You're the sweetest, thank you!
Apr 21, 2019 3:07am
Thread
What a great gift that would make for a fellow letterboxer! Thanks for the heads up!
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 21, 2019 11:19am
Thread
I have to plant 3 more boxes before the end of the month to reach my 10. I don't know why it's been so hard to plant the final three! Kuddos to everyone who has been able to plant more!
Reply to: #974412 by LadyRisa
Apr 21, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
I am on board with the ideas in Munkeybee's post, but the bottom line for me is, please do not widely announce a challenge and not mention until later that the prize will have to be paid for. Don't change the rules of the end date.
I am delayed in getting outside and planting the ten I have prepared for the challenge, so my question now would be, can I simply wait 2 weeks when I am not so busy - then get them planted and mail away to pay for the patch? - just let me know, cause I'd love to have the patch.
Heck, I have only a few weeks next to figure out my few potential plants intended for PAL Day.
I am only mildly sympathetic to the expense of the patches/pathtags because again, that needed to be considered in advance!
Some time back I purchased a 300 bulk amount of First Finder patches (from papertrail's design) so I could have as many as I needed personally and ultimately have been selling them barely above cost and I pay for the postage. I knew the expense going in - no guarantee on 'sales' also no regrets.
At many events I've attended, it has been apparent to me that the donations and raffles (from donated items) pretty well compensate the expense of the event. This is a wonderful thing - especially so for the hard work of the organizers putting together a great event we can all enjoy.
I'll make a donation if I end up planting by the end of this month, but also am hopeful it has been a learning experience for the promoters.
Please be thoughtful and don't promote a challenge you can't or won't be able to stand up to.
Happy Easter to all!
new letterboxes
Apr 24, 2019 5:16pm
Thread
please send everyone a notice about every new letterboxes
Re: new letterboxes
Reply to: #974531 by Fortnite Hacker
Apr 24, 2019 5:24pm
Thread
Haha. I have no idea who this is, but that trail name caught my attention. Can you tell that there might be tween and teen boys around here?
Apr 24, 2019 5:28pm
Thread
There is a widget for that.
Reply to: #974532 by RDHG
Apr 24, 2019 5:59pm
Thread
Haha. I have no idea who this is, but that trail name caught my attention.

Yes, very interesting trail name. Mine is from a name suggested by someone in a game I played in college. Perhaps this comes from the same (or similar) situation.

Can you tell that there might be tween and teen boys around here?

That would be very interesting if this is a new demographic that is attracted to AQ.
Apr 24, 2019 6:12pm
Thread
please send everyone a notice about every new letterboxes

https://www.imore.com/tip-quickly-insert-punctuation-iphone-keyboard-2

It was just too easy. Had to do it.
Reply to: #974539 by MissMoon
Apr 24, 2019 6:35pm
Thread
joined today! Welcome Fortnite Hacker! There are yahoo groups or you can just check the newly posted boards for new stuff.
Apr 24, 2019 10:19pm
Thread
The list of all the newest letterboxes can be found here:

https://www.atlasquest.com/results.php?typeId=1&timespan=week&sort=2&title=Newly+Listed+Boxes

However, those letterboxes could be anywhere around the world, and not necessarily the closest to you.
Reply to: #974542 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Apr 25, 2019 9:16am
Thread
There are yahoo groups

Those still exist? I'm surprised that Yahoo hasn't shut them down. Or sold them like they did with Flickr.

TG
Reply to: #974555 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 25, 2019 10:02am
Thread
Those still exist? I'm surprised that Yahoo hasn't shut them down. Or sold them like they did with Flickr.

Still there but definitely not very active. Letterboxing USA seems to be the most active with a whopping 26 posts in all of 2018, none in 2019. It is a shame, they used to be so much fun to read.
Reply to: #974556 by Janila
Apr 25, 2019 1:09pm
Thread
I just check LbGLK. It's actually relatively active.

2019 posts - Jan:87 Feb:96 Mar:78 Apr:78

I'm shocked.

TG
Reply to: #974575 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 25, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
In the Great Lakes group, we have a letterboxing bingo game that is run through the Yahoo group. So from December (sign up time) through April/May (end of the game), we have daily word posts, comments, puzzles, and so forth.
Yahoo! Groups for Letterboxing?
Apr 25, 2019 8:58pm
Thread
Doing a search under the Yahoo groups here, are those groups still active? Most of the results say that most groups haven't been active in a number of years. Is there a particular group or groups you belong to or prefer?
Re: Yahoo! Groups for Letterboxing?
Reply to: #974594 by The Lost Boys
Apr 25, 2019 9:00pm
Thread
I had no idea that Yahoo Groups even still existed until someone mentioned them in another post. The only LB group that I belong to that is still active is LbGLK (Great Lakes).

TG
Reply to: #974576 by Angel Winks
Apr 25, 2019 9:01pm
Thread
Wow, I had no idea that bingo was still going on either. I won a couple of times one year, but didn't have a use for most of the prizes I received, so I didn't play again.

TG
Reply to: #974595 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 25, 2019 9:12pm
Thread
That's exactly why I was asking! I saw that post. So I figured I didn't want to miss out on anything. :)
Reply to: #974597 by The Lost Boys
Apr 25, 2019 9:16pm
Thread
I know there are clues to boxes hidden on some of the Yahoo boards.