Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973383 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 15, 2019 7:45pm
Thread
Now you want us to pay for the pathtags? Nevermind, I'll just go back out an pull the 118 I've planted so far.

~ Of course, there are prizes ~
Participants who plant at least ten traditional permanent plants between Nov. 1 and April 30 will receive a Power Planter Patch.
Participants who plant at least 50 traditional permanent plants between Nov. 1 and April 30 will receive a Power Planter Path tag.

It really takes the fun out of prizes when you are expected to pay for them. And why would you want to reorder? This was supposed to be a limited time challenge to receive one...
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 16, 2019 12:59am
Thread
There are different ideas in night boxing. One fun one is to make the hunt scary. Don't follow a trail but rather bushwhack through the woods from start to finish. Plant some rubber snakes, rats and spiders along the route, including hanging from branches. Maybe have motion detectors that start things making noise.
Install a burglar alarm in the lid of the box, preferably one that sounds like a rattlesnake.
Reply to: #974223 by Kirbert
Apr 16, 2019 5:05am
Thread
Install a burglar alarm in the lid of the box, preferably one that sounds like a rattlesnake.

Nope, I would have a heart attack! One box I will never go after!
Apr 16, 2019 6:15am
Thread
Hidden in an open field in pouches with reflective tape, everyone uses flashlights. Stagger them out in groups of 4 onto the field with a very a visual map of clues. This is if you're looking for inexpensive and easy way of doing it.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 16, 2019 12:42pm
Thread
We are members of the Dartmoor Letterboxing 100 Club, which publishes the catalogue, etc. However, we haven't been active since moving to the north of Scotland 13 years ago.

If you're planning a trip, it's well worth getting in touch for a copy of the latest catalogue and the updates which have been published since. If it's anything like the active letterboxing scene that we knew in the past, there are dozens of new boxes, and deleted boxes, with every fortnightly update.
Reply to: #974213 by RIclimber
Apr 16, 2019 3:14pm
Thread
I have 109 permanent traditional boxes planted since November 1.

I don’t know if I want to pay for a path tag, either, to be honest. It’s exciting when it’s a prize, but I’ve won the opportunity to buy stuff many times. (In fact, I have several emails asking me to buy stuff in my gmail inbox as we speak!) Do we also have to pay for the patches?
Reply to: #973383 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 16, 2019 4:03pm
Thread
I just saw this. Aw, do not continue the challenge. (My vote.) If you want to keep it going, maybe make a new challenge with a different name -- maybe even different goals. That was it will not cheapen the success of earning the prizes for those who worked so hard planting for this challenge. 😊
Apr 16, 2019 6:35pm
Thread
Using reflective tape or paint, then hide them in trees as well as on the ground.
Reply to: #974207 by Nature Hikers
Apr 16, 2019 9:46pm
Thread
We have a 16 box series a mere two hours outside of London by train......I'm just sayin'
Apr 17, 2019 4:02am
Thread
We've used glow sticks in peanut butter jars with the stamps.
Reply to: #974243 by CoffeeSpoons
Apr 17, 2019 4:31am
Thread
I thought that the prize was that the letterboxing community as a whole benefits from all the additional plants we now have to find! The patch and/or path tag are a fun marker of the event. Buying them in quantity is expensive - glad to contribute.

I'm at 54 permanent traditional boxes planted since 11/1. Thanks to Super Hedge Hoggie and crew for inspiring us all to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #974261 by paper trail
Apr 17, 2019 5:01am
Thread
Thank you, Paper Trail, for saying what I was thinking. This challenge has encouraged me to clear my desk of 88 stamps and logbooks that have been sitting around for years. Now the fun begins as I get to begin carving guilt free again.

I, too, am happy to pay that very small fee.
Apr 17, 2019 5:27am
Thread
I am happy to have more stamps to seek. There are not a lot of people in my area, yet I can occasionally travel with my husband when he goes out of town to work where there are more boxes planted.

I wonder if we will be told how many boxes total were planted for the challenge. That might be an interesting number!
Reply to: #974262 by Janila
Apr 17, 2019 5:30am
Thread
Whoa! Maybe you could call the Power Plant Challenge the Spring Cleaning Planting Challenge. 😉

I imagine that it is a good feeling to get them all out into the wild and out of your home.
Apr 17, 2019 7:12am
Thread
See I kinda agree with RIClimber and Coffeespoons. The prize is that we all get more boxes. But I've planted 142 boxes, driven over 20 hours to plant in places where they will actually be found, and it's a considerable cost for plastic, bags, and pink stuff. So I am definitely not spending $3 more :)
Reply to: #974267 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 17, 2019 8:51am
Thread
Others get the "Prize" of more boxes to find. I get the "Prize" of 100+ more boxes to maintain. I'm not in it for the "Prize" - I just want to beat PiggyJaunt!!
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 11:54am
Thread
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 12:17pm
Thread
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?

I just went to LbNA and entered England in the search box.
Lots of stuff appeared.
You can probably narrow it a bit by using London, England.

Let's hear from those who have been there and might know of other places to check.
Apr 17, 2019 2:11pm
Thread

Dartmoor Bounders used to have a site that listed a lot of them. It has gone offline but you can still see the old clues here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121026230114/http://www.ian.kirkpatrick2.btinternet.co.uk/page1.htm
Reply to: #974283 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Thread
I will be in London the end of August to leave on a cruise from Dover and would be very interested if anyone has success in London.
Thanks
Reply to: #974146 by Mizscarlet
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Thread
I found the register number from the original planting in 2004 here.

Is it still on the register? Thanks for looking!

WW
Apr 17, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
I was there this past summer and looked up letterbox hybrids on geocaching.com. I was out in the country and with people who weren't going to drive far just for me to find a letterbox. It was the one way I found to easily locate possible letterboxes near where we were staying. It's not the solution for everyone, but it increased the possible boxes I could look for. I ended up finding two listed on Atlasquest and one geocache hybrid.
Apr 18, 2019 4:01am
Thread
Luminaries with electric tealights.
2019 hallmark
Apr 18, 2019 4:28am
Thread
Check out this very letterbox appropriate 2019 hallmark keepsake ornament!
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=146790
Re: 2019 hallmark
Reply to: #974298 by SherlockMiles
Apr 18, 2019 5:46am
Thread
I would agree with you! Thank you for sharing that.
Larry Lizard
Apr 18, 2019 6:29am
Thread
I’m sad to report that after a long and happy life of eleven years (110 lizard years) Larry Lizard has left his literary home at Nanini Library into permanent rest. His demise was likely the unfortunate result of a guest skimmer helping with shelf cleanup. While his loss is unfortunate he gave much pleasure to staff and visitors alike during his tenure. His loss is doubly unfortunate as he was my first. You always remember your first.

The staff understands that Larry himself can never be replaced but anxiously requested to be allowed to care for a new adoptee.
Re: Larry Lizard
Reply to: #974301 by Baqash
Apr 18, 2019 8:13am
Thread
Condolences.
Apr 18, 2019 8:15am
Thread
I might actually have to get that one. Nice.
Apr 18, 2019 12:51pm
Thread
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?
Re: Larry Lizard
Reply to: #974301 by Baqash
Apr 18, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
I'm so sorry for your loss! ((Hugs))