A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: The purpose of a logbook
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973308 by ArnoldZiffel
Mar 25, 2019 8:50am
Thread
So you would like to have the book back when it's full - as the owner of the letterbox, yes? What initially made me post my question is that when mailing someone about their full book and not hearing anything back in regards to them wanting it returned, I was like "Don't they WANT this?" "I would want mine." I know, everyone's different. I guess that's why I'm seeing what other folks feelings on them are. ;)
Reply to: #973310 by Basset Mom
Mar 25, 2019 8:56am
Thread
I'd love it (and reimburse postage) if someone mailed me a full logbook of mine. I've mailed a few back to other people who want them.
Mar 25, 2019 10:19am
Thread
So you would like to have the book back when it's full - as the owner of the letterbox, yes?

I would prefer to have it stay with the box, so finders can enjoy the logbook. If the logbook is full, I would like to be notified, so I can eventually add in a secondary logbook.
Reply to: #973303 by Basset Mom
Mar 25, 2019 10:41am
Thread
It's also a vessel for sneaky boxers to put bonus box clues ....
Re: Poll: Which style of AQ logbook do you prefer?
Reply to: #973299 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 25, 2019 10:54am
Thread
Well, yes, the people most impacted will be the most vocal.

In my experience, it’s the people who don’t like a particular change who are the most vocal.

Personally I liked the logbook version that existed for maybe a day or two after the initial change, where you could input a particular time period or section of the alphabet that you wanted to look at. I don’t think many people even got to experiment with that version of the logbook before GT got tired of the complaints and set it to the version we have currently.
Reply to: #973296 by Honeychyck
Mar 25, 2019 11:02am
Thread
I'm seeing what life is like without a premium membership. I've missed some of the features during my first week without it, but maybe I'll adjust?

I actually got a premium membership for the first time. (Partly in hopes that the searchable logbook will make an appearance as a PM option.) The feature that I don’t know how I’d do without is the ability to set a custom location.
Mar 25, 2019 11:04am
Thread
My thinking evolved over time. When I started out, I met some older boxers who showed me a few logbooks that they had kept from boxes when they were full, so I assumed this was the practice.

But my earliest boxes were fairly large compared to what's common these days, so it took a long time before I had a box that lasted long enough to have a full logbook. I swapped it for a new one, but by then I was boxing a lot more frequently, and I started to think about every time I found a really old box, it was so fun to see all these old signature stamps, often from people who were no longer boxing. It was a fascinating historical record of the growth of the hobby.

So I soon returned that logbook I removed and that box had two. I could see it anytime I got around to doing maintenance, but I felt it was more important for finders to see the history of the box. Especially since well over two-thirds of the finders did not leave an online log on either AQ or LbNA. That's not as common these days, but there are still a significant number of finds that are in the logbook only.

So that physical record is important. Anytime I find a box with a full logbook, my own or someone else, I add a new one but leave the old one, maybe adding another baggie if needed. Imagine if you went to find that elusive 10 year old box, only to find a worn out stamp, but a fresh logbook with just two previous finders from last year. Still a thrilling find, but you couldn't help feeling you missed seeing something special.

And that is also the main argument when someone suggests not putting in a logbook in the first place. Without a logbook, it just isn't a letterbox. But don't take my word on that, read a post from 2011 from one of the first letterboxes who goes back to 1998:

https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?authorId=393&flags=128&search=logbook&startId=593261

Don't worry, I don't want to "rain down hate" on anyone. You can read that whole thread for a great discussion, but that single post is in my opinion the most eloquent thing ever written on AQ.

K
Mar 25, 2019 11:20am
Thread
We would want my full logbook back. We have also found a full semi wet logbook and still have in our possession because we have not heard back from the planter.
Reply to: #973320 by Kelsung
Mar 25, 2019 11:36am
Thread
I will also add to the conversation that people USED TO write notes in the logbook with their sig stamp. And I don't just mean "Nice stamp". They'd write about the weather, who they were with, how they felt, what else they were doing. These make for great reading. Think of the log books in the hiking shelters.......

Now we are kind of 'stamp in and move on' mode. I dont know if its that there are so many more boxes available - esp up here in NE, or the culture change.
Mar 25, 2019 11:40am
Thread
Personally, I would rather have a full logbook stay in the box for future finders to peruse. Here in New Mexico, we don’t get a ton of finders so I think that I have only had one logbook fill up. That generally makes it a moot point for me.
Reply to: #973296 by Honeychyck
Mar 25, 2019 11:58am
Thread
I really, really do miss those green checkmarks, though.

... Honestly, so much so that I'm seeing what life is like without a premium membership.

Ironically, Advanced Search which allows one to access the green checks, is a premium member perk.
Reply to: #973326 by Wronghat
Mar 25, 2019 12:18pm
Thread
Advanced Search which allows one to access the green checks, is a premium member perk.

I can do an Advanced Search and see green check marks by boxes I have found and I'm not a premium member.
Reply to: #973327 by Ele
Mar 25, 2019 12:27pm
Thread
Thanks. I didn't know that. I thought I was more privileged than I am.
Reply to: #973316 by JampersandJ
Mar 25, 2019 1:25pm
Thread
I should clarify that I only remove full logbooks if 1) I have a replacement logbook with me and 2) if the box is too small to hold two logbooks. Otherwise , I'd leave the full logbook in the box.
Reply to: #973323 by SherlockMiles
Mar 25, 2019 1:37pm
Thread
people USED TO write notes in the logbook with their sig stamp. And I don't just mean "Nice stamp".

It's fun when you find the box on a beautiful sunny day and read logs where someone found it in deep snow or pouring rain.
Reply to: #973319 by Sheba
Mar 25, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
I'm missing the extra colors for planning trips the most, honestly. We shall see.
Mar 25, 2019 2:23pm
Thread
I love to sit and see who has been there before me, used to be Wanda all the time. Even far from home I see boxers stamps I have met at events or know from online. It really gives me a sense of connection to the larger boxing world. And I still like to write notes.
MizS
Mar 25, 2019 2:27pm
Thread
I will also add to the conversation that people USED TO write notes in the logbook with their sig stamp.

I think more people wrote in the logbooks in the days before we could add comments on AQ. Not sure, but I think that began about 2009. Once I could make a comment on AQ, I stopped writing in the logbooks because I personally believe that very few planters ever see the logbooks so to me, it makes more sense to comment on AQ to let the planters know my feelings when I found their box.

That being said, I always include a comment when I find a box with the exception of event finds where there are large amounts of boxes usually by the same planter.
Reply to: #973326 by Wronghat
Mar 25, 2019 3:26pm
Thread
Advance search? Yea well, click this, then click that, then remember what steps you took a month from now when you get ready to log finds again.

I'm old I forget all the steps. I like easy.
Reply to: #973318 by Sheba
Mar 25, 2019 3:49pm
Thread
Personally I liked the logbook version that existed for maybe a day or two after the initial change, where you could input a particular time period or section of the alphabet that you wanted to look at. I don’t think many people even got to experiment with that version...

I liked this version as well, since it was much easier to access older finds or see where you were on a certain date without scrolling through many pages of finds. The fact that the unlisted finds were combined with the listed ones seems logical, as it mimics your physical logbook.
Reply to: #973297 by Grrly Girl
Mar 25, 2019 5:09pm
Thread
Looking at another's logbook, I don't have green checks.

And they are so helpful. Were so helpful I should say.
Reply to: #973301 by Wronghat
Mar 25, 2019 5:10pm
Thread
You are able to get the other person's logbook with the green checkmarks by doing an Advanced Search with the other person's trailname in the Finder column.

You keep saying that. It's an extra, unnecessary step.
Mar 25, 2019 5:16pm
Thread
I will also add to the conversation that people USED TO write notes in the logbook with their sig stamp.

I think some people still write notes, maybe not as many as before but I still see them. And as you said, they can also be used for bonus clues.

And for some people, making logbooks is part of the creative process. If there is a theme, or historical location, the logbook kind of brings it all together.
Mar 25, 2019 5:22pm
Thread
I'm probably going to rain down all sorts of "hate" on me ... haha ... but that is not my intention. A question I have been pondering in my head for a while is, what is the real purpose of having a logbook in the letterbox?

Before there was a website there were letterboxes.

Generally speaking I think they are for the finders. People still like to look at them and write in them. And I responded to someone else.....I think that for some people the logbook is a creative thing.

I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there's no logbook but I would hate to see them disappear from the hobby just because we can log online.

I think logbooks are part of our tradition. And in this world more and more traditions are being lost.
Reply to: #973347 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
It's an extra, unnecessary step.

It's necessary if one wishes to see the green checks.
Reply to: #973351 by Wronghat
Mar 25, 2019 5:57pm
Thread
To quote Rocklun....

.......but it's an extra step that we didn't need to take before.

before being the operative word.
Reply to: #973353 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2019 6:12pm
Thread
I think your message is that you like the old style logbook better. My message is that if people miss the green checks, they can still see them. I keep repeating because different people seem to think the green checks are gone and I want to help out.
Reply to: #973288 by Rocklun
Mar 25, 2019 7:00pm
Thread
I hate this new style! I don't log unlisted finds on AQ, and the missing green checkmark are annoying, but what I really miss is seeing if my boxes are active or retired when I click on my own logbook!
This makes keeping my LTC's up to date impossible, so I quit! It also makes checking if I retired the boxes after the event much harder.
Reply to: #973349 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2019 7:20pm
Thread
I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there's no logbook but I would hate to see them disappear from the hobby just because we can log online.

Does there need to be a logbook in each box? Many people don't like to have to stamp that many logbooks in a series.
Reply to: #973359 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2019 8:46pm
Thread
me....

you.....
Does there need to be a logbook in each box? Many people don't like to have to stamp that many logbooks in a series.

I said .....that I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there is no logbook.....soooooo........then...........it's still a letterbox if there is no logbook..........sooooooo..........noooo............there does not need to be a logbook in each box.