A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Eevil Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973071 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 21, 2019 7:45am
Thread
I have hand written out clues for one box that I want to still go look for but was wondering if the boxes were pulled since the clues aren't online anymore (at least for the ones I have checked).
Reply to: #973078 by Ele
Mar 21, 2019 8:43am
Thread
Some of us in CT have trouble just getting time to box in places with hundreds of ready to find items and pages of unused clues.
Mar 21, 2019 1:22pm
Thread
I havenโ€™t had any breakthroughs in a while. Iโ€™ll pick them up again from time to time, but I still find myself running into the same dead-ends.
Reply to: #973078 by Ele
Mar 21, 2019 6:23pm
Thread
[...] but was wondering if the boxes were pulled since the clues aren't online anymore (at least for the ones I have checked).

That is part of the eevil.
Reply to: #973076 by RIclimber
Mar 21, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
I thought most of the clues were lost? Were they recovered?

It was the eevilinc site that got lost... messing up the listings...

I have a bunch of ones that interested me that were a mix of broken and unbroken links... And I've offered them to people who indicated they were looking for the clues... Most people want to solve some, but providing clues is not the same as providing the answers... and in more than a few cases, clues is all I have.
Mar 21, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
There is one that I still think about from time to time. I thought I had it figured out but when I searched it was not there. It's never been found, no attempts. I know one of the NC boxes went missing before it was ever found (but was replaced). Maybe this one is also mia.

I'd like to ask Eevil if I was indeed at the right spot, but........
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972894 by BinoBoxer
Mar 22, 2019 5:00am
Thread
BinoBoxer, I planted my new series yesterday, so I met the challenge! Which reminds me...we should plant another box together on our trip!
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Mar 22, 2019 7:08am
Thread
I've planted 14 permanent plants since Nov 1. They are all in Austin and parks to the west in the Central Texas Hill Country, which is currently ablaze with one of the best bluebonnet shows in the last decade. Stunning! There's lots of activity happening out here - hope folks can come out and take advantage of a whole bunch of new boxes in this area!

I will likely plant about 2 dozen more before May 1. I doubt I will get to 50, but that's OK... I'd rather have a patch than pathtag anyway! :)

Thanks to the organizers for setting up this challenge!
Reply to: #973110 by airstream dreams
Mar 22, 2019 9:43am
Thread
There is one that I still think about from time to time. I thought I had it figured out but when I searched it was not there. It's never been found, no attempts.

Which one was that...? The puzzles are often 'eevil' enough, but often the solutions only lead to more frustrations... and work... which sometimes make the puzzle look easy.
Reply to: #973121 by Origami Hen
Mar 22, 2019 5:18pm
Thread
I've planted 14 permanent plants since Nov 1.

Are they all "snow friendly"?

I had to do that with some recent comments in another thread.
Reply to: #973140 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 22, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ how you do that?
Reply to: #973141 by Sheba
Mar 22, 2019 6:02pm
Thread
๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ how you do that?

The Wiki Help link (at the bottom of every page) shows most mark-up tags. However, it doesn't show (spoiler)The spoiler tag(/spoiler) nor the (wassa)The Wassa tag(/wassa). (You'll need to use square brackets instead of parentheses.)

I guess that Wassa doesn't want them abused.

But you may be using the HTML-style mark-ups.
First Finder Prizes
Mar 24, 2019 12:59am
Thread
These are a treat when they are seen in a box, right? I am personally on a mission to find a FF path tag since I misplaced all of our path tags. This got me thinking. What kind of goodies do you like to find as FF prizes? I have a few ideas for upcoming series, yet I thought that I would ask for some feedback to see what some of your favorites have been or if you have some ideas.
Re: First Finder Prizes
Reply to: #973190 by RDHG
Mar 24, 2019 1:23am
Thread
I have collected a lot of 1st finder prizes through my boxing years, and to be brutally honest, I have found them to be more clutter than helpful or inspiring. In the past several years, I have left them all for the next finders. The exception would be two boxes that had origami dollar bills and one that had a nicely folded dollar bill. I did keep those!

In my own boxes, I usually include a hitchhiker.
Reply to: #973191 by Janila
Mar 24, 2019 1:37am
Thread
Leaving it for fhe next person is nice, as that person might enjoy it. Some of us like to find them. A gift card for a cup of coffee or an LTC made from the stamp are nice treats, for example.
Reply to: #973192 by RDHG
Mar 24, 2019 2:06am
Thread
I agree, gift cards are great! What I am not crazy about are all of the first finder certificates and paper things that can't be used for anything else.

After my previous response, I was thinking about the different first finder prizes I have collected and one that stood out was a small pack of tissues in a box about the cold weather. I did enjoy that one and the tissues could be used, not sit around uselessly forever. I am pretty much a minimalist, if I don't use it, it gets tossed or donated but there are some things that you can't gift to someone else.

I would definitely leave an LTC for the next person.
Mar 24, 2019 2:23am
Thread
We love everyone that we've ever gotten. We've gotten carved tokens, little patches, but I think my favorite were miniature first finder certificates. I like them so much that I contacted the person who left them to get the template so I could make them also. Of course I haven't found time to do that but at least I have the template.
Cow arising
Mar 24, 2019 3:53am
I recently was letterboxing and as I drove along the road suddenly a cow's head appeared to arise from the ground. What!?! Is this a cow phoenix or are cows now living underground?!? As I drew closer I realized the cow was coming out of a culvert. Yes, there was a culvert big enough for a cow to walk through under the narrow winding country road. Fascinating. I have heard of "tunnels" for the wildlife to get through from one side of the road to the other but this is the first domestic animal "tunnel" I have seen.
Mar 24, 2019 5:33am
Thread
FF prizes are an unexpected and appreciated gift.

I've seen the first page in the log book decorated to acknowledge the FF-that's neat.

I like little certificates or labels that can be added to my logbook.

Gift cards, patches, or practical items (tissues? how clever) are great, but certainly not expected.

I'll leave items that I can't use for the next person, but always appreciate the gesture and effort
Mar 24, 2019 6:21am
Thread
First finder prizes are fun but definitely not expected. I enjoy finding hitchhikers, especially if it's a new hitchhiker that fits the theme of the box. I also like patches, charms, and tags that I can attach to my backpack. I've got some plastic peace signs that ypsitucky queen used as a first finder prize that have been dangling from my backpack for almost 11 years.

But I think my all-time favorite ff prize was also courtesy of ypsitucky queen--a tiny troll figurine placed in one of her Plant a Troll Day boxes. He hangs out on my desk at work and always makes me smile.
Reply to: #973201 by Dawnkey
Mar 24, 2019 6:41am
Thread
one of my favorite first finder prizes was a gift certificate to be used at an Ice Cream shop that was near the trailhead and it also fit with the theme of the letterbox which was cool.

I also enjoy it when the first page of the log book is decorated to represent the first finder. very cute and does not add any more "stuff" to the letterbox.

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #973193 by Janila
Mar 24, 2019 6:56am
Thread
I would definitely leave an LTC for the next person.

I leave an LTC or hitchhiker.

I do collect the first-finder certificates though.
Mar 24, 2019 7:00am
Thread
On Dartmoor, it is traditional to put a self-addressed post card in the box. The first finder stamps the card and mails it back to you. (That's kind of the opposite of a first-finder "prize" though.)

An AQ alternative would be to make an LTC based around the stamp and leave that for the FF.
Reply to: #973206 by Fish Below The Ice
Mar 24, 2019 7:18am
Thread
I made postcards for my early (2002) out of state boxes but completely forgot I did it until you mentioned it. Now I want to make more, I just need to finish this chemo first.

As FF prizes I have also included music CD's with songs to fit the box theme (back in the day when people burned CD's), gift cards, HH, LTC, & decorated FF pages. But I haven't done any of that in so long!
Mar 24, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
I occasionally leave my path tags in my boxes as FF prizes, but mostly in boxes outside of my usual area. Most of the folks who would be FF in my usual area already have my path tags.
Mar 24, 2019 1:52pm
Thread
One idea I've run across is to leave a Letterboxer Trading Card that was made from the stamp inside the box as a FF prize. Note that, in many cases, an LTC is *not* simply a stamp image on a card. Quite often it's a whole production, with special coloring, embossing, glitter, whatever. And they are often numbered, each LTC being number _____ of _____. The author carved the stamp, created the limited series of LTC's with it, and then planted it here in this box, and as FF you get one of the LTC's. But, that's obviously a special case; not all box stamps are used to create LTC's.

Since I also geocache, occasionally I'll pick up something in a geocache that a letterboxer can use. One excellent example is a compass. Every letterboxer should have a compass and know how to use it, but most don't. So if I come across a compass in a geocache I'll snag it, then leave it in a letterbox I'm planting as a FF prize.

Finally there are carving tools. I happen to be the guy who makes wire knife blades, so sometimes I'll whip up a bunch of them and leave one in each letterbox I plant as a FF prize. I've even made up a little wrapper to hold one that explains what it is and also makes it harder to jam your finger with it. Not everyone here manufactures carving tools, but if you're the generous type you could *buy* tools to leave as FF prizes. In fact, you could buy Speedball nibs, send them to me or KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey for modification, and leave those for FF prizes.

I've also been known to leave erasers as FF prizes. The carvable type.
Reply to: #973247 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2019 1:57pm
Thread
Oh, I almost forgot: Some planters once mentioned using that shrinking plastic stuff to create FF prizes. Basically you stamp the box stamp onto the plastic and then heat it up and watch it shrink to a little tiny thing. I dunno how well the ink stays put on it, though.
Reply to: #973250 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2019 2:03pm
Thread
There is one other idea, although it's not really a FF prize per se. In the box log book, the first page is a "title page" with the box stamp and the planter's sig stamp along with the date the box was planted. The second page, though, is specially decorated to honor the First Finder. It can have scrollwork around the edges, gold stars, you name it. It might even be a different type or color paper than the rest of the log book. Every subsequent finder should be jealous and wish he had gotten there first.

It's also been suggested that one could carve a stamp just for decorating this First Finder page, a stamp image that's used nowhere else.
Reply to: #973251 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2019 2:09pm
Thread
I'm still remembering ideas. One excellent idea is to carve a stamp, stamp an image or LTC with it, and then modify the stamp before planting it. The FF then gets a copy of the image as no one else sees it. Just as a blatant example: You could carve a stamp with the words "FIRST FINDER" emblazoned across it in big letters. Stamp that on a card, then carve away the words just to leave the stamp. The FF prize is hence a stamp image that no one else will ever have.
Letterboxing got me a job...
Mar 24, 2019 4:26pm
Thread
Hey kids!
So, as some of you may (or may not) know, I have been poking around looking for a new job. Yeah, I know, with as much "fun" (read: HR nightmare inducing shenanigans) as I have had at my current job, why switch? Long story, but in a nutshell my beloved Edgewater (of 15 years) was bought by a large company, and the transition has been less than... well, you name it, it has been less than it.

So, it was time to embark upon a new chapter in my professional life!

What does this have to do with letterboxing, you may ask?

A company I was VERY interested in joining had an opportunity, and I applied for the position. Now, keep in mind I haven't been on a job interview in 25 years... that's right, I was at my previous company for 10 years, and was brought into Edgewater directly (since it was founded by several people from said previous company who knew me) without needing any interviewing, where I have been for the last 15 years. So, when the new Prospective Employer called me up and asked me to come in for an interview, I was a little bit nervous to say the least.

One of the things they asked me to prepare for the interview marathon (one day, 6 people, 1+ hours each) was "A small demo using at least two of our APIs illustrating your hands-on technical skills." This company (Nexmo, a division of Vonage) provides services for a variety of communications platforms, so basically, I needed to come up with an example of using some of their communications tools (called APIs).

Ladies and Gentlemen and Tortugas, I present to you, the "Text me!" letterbox.

Using about 6 of their APIs across 3 of the products, I provided letterbox clues, offered hint pictures, and gave phone congratulations, with the box actually planted right outside the office door. I then made them follow the clues, solve the simple puzzles, and find the box.

I got the job. I start tomorrow!