Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

My Subject Not Showing Up
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 18, 2019 10:11pm
Thread
I just started a new subject, "Guardrail box". There have been a few replies, but none have showed up in the "Favorite Boards" widget where other new posts to the forums show up. Is this normal, or a bug?
Re: My Subject Not Showing Up
Reply to: #972870 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 18, 2019 11:08pm
Thread
There have been a few replies, but none have showed up in the "Favorite Boards" widget where other new posts to the forums show up.

By default, they won't show up there if you have looked at them already. You also may have inadvertently "looked" at them by looking at the first post (your own), which if you were to scroll down, would show all the posts to that thread, thus making them "seen".

Like many of the strange, unusual things in my life... once it is seen, it can't be unseen!
Hat Day!
Mar 19, 2019 2:35am
Thread
I don't even remember the last time I saw a hat day!
Re: Hat Day!
Reply to: #972875 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 3:45am
Thread
This is the first Hat day since I joined!
Mar 19, 2019 5:09am
Thread
😀
Reply to: #972873 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2019 6:31am
Thread
They used to show up there. What changed? What do I need to do so that new messages in threads that I have read show up? Right now I have to specifically look at those threads.

Even the new topic "Hat Day" did not show up; I noticed it in the list of topics. What changed?
How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Mar 19, 2019 6:50am
Thread
I only started halfway through, but I am up to thirty-seven boxes so far! In my case, I have a lot more ideas than time. Haha. This is fun, though, so thank you to the organizers. I look forward to going to areas that have more density of boxes and searching for the treats that folks have been planting in those areas.
Mar 19, 2019 7:11am
Thread
Was the last hat day last February? I think so. Anywho, I'm so excited and thanks to Shamrock Mom for the heads up.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 7:12am
Thread
I just planted my 6th this past weekend. I was shooting for 10. I need to purchase a few more boxes, prepare log books, and plant the remaining four here soon.

I am thankful for the challenge because it helps me set deadlines and follow through. We'll have to figure something else out to keep the momentum going once the challenge is over. ;)
Reply to: #972890 by yellowzebra
Mar 19, 2019 7:21am
Thread
Was the last hat day last February? I think so.

I must have missed it if was as I have been waiting 3 years to record a bonus box that I found but couldn't find the listing. I contacted the owner to ask what the box number was but never received a reply.
Reply to: #972891 by photopam
Mar 19, 2019 7:24am
Thread
I've planted 5 so far and will plant a series of 5 very soon. I've been waiting for the snow to melt and think conditions will be good by this weekend.
Reply to: #972893 by Rocklun
Mar 19, 2019 7:26am
Thread
I just planted #11 for the Challenge period. That includes a series was just planted yesterday and will be listed soon.
Mar 19, 2019 7:31am
Thread
I've planted 95 since it started in November. I am aiming to win :D
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- photopam
Reply to: #972891 by photopam
Mar 19, 2019 9:16am
Thread
We'll have to figure something else out to keep the momentum going once the challenge is over. ;)

That would be fun, eh? Maybe we can have some personal challenges, like one plant a month or five plants a month or....
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- Rocklun
Reply to: #972893 by Rocklun
Mar 19, 2019 9:19am
Thread
We do not often have the challenge of working around snow in the Carolinas. I have heard of snow friendly boxes but do not know what makes them snow friendly. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with you this weekend!
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- BinoBoxer
Reply to: #972894 by BinoBoxer
Mar 19, 2019 9:20am
Thread
Is your image your siggy stamp? Wow, what a well done carve that is!
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- PiggyJaunt
Reply to: #972896 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 19, 2019 9:22am
Thread
I do not know, PiggyJaunt. I am THIS close to you with thirty-seven, so I might be giving you a run for your money! 😆

I am excited for the patch and determined to get that path tag, too.
Mar 19, 2019 9:52am
Thread
I have to get out & plant my carves!! I have a pile of stamps ready to go, but no time this month to hit the trails. Three stamps are heading an hour or more drive from my home, one is heading out of state, but it's all about the location.

Then there's my re-carves: Two of my older stamps have gone astray - one of which will be a 3rd time!
Reply to: #972896 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 19, 2019 11:49am
Thread
light weight - I planted almost 400 in a weekend ;) lol
Mar 19, 2019 12:07pm
Thread
I've planted 110, but only around 50 of those are permanent plants.
Reply to: #972910 by Petunia
Mar 19, 2019 12:08pm
Thread
I love hearing everyone's Power Plant challenge updates!! Keep 'em coming! While I've carved more than 300 stamps in the past five months, I'm chagrined to share that I have not planted them (carved for upcoming events). So I suppose I need to get a move on if I want to keep up with all you awesome Power Planters!

If you have not joined the power plant challenge yet - it's not too late. The short version of the challenge is: Plant 10 permanent traditional letterboxes between Nov. 1 and May 1. Send me a message through AQ to let me know you'd like to join in the challenge. Everyone who plants at least 10 boxes will get a Power Plant Patch (they just came in and are awesome). Folks who plant 50 or more will get a Power Plant Pathtag (until we run out)... AND there will be a grand prize winner for the person in the challenge with the most plants.

We'll announce all the winners at GeekFest (everyone is coming to Geekfest, right?!?! If you haven't been to a big big big event - this is THE one to check out!) - and will send out patches/pathtags by snailmail to anyone not able to go to Geekfest. While this started out as a North Carolina challenge - planting is great everywhere - so anyone is welcome to join in.

Sincerely,
Super Hedge Hoggie
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- mudflinginfo
Reply to: #972919 by mudflinginfools
Mar 19, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
😮😮😮😮 WHOA! 🎉 Yay for all of your hard work! Well, the rest of us may as well congratulate you now. LOL. 👍
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- RIclimber
Reply to: #972921 by RIclimber
Mar 19, 2019 12:45pm
Thread
That is impressive, too! There are so many boxes up in New England. Maybe I need to journey up there for some adventures. Haha.
Mar 19, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
I'm sitting with only 24 of the boxes planted, and I am aiming for the 50. I have several carved and logbooks ready to go, it's now just getting out and hiding them!
Reply to: #972887 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 19, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
Even the new topic "Hat Day" did not show up; I noticed it in the list of topics. What changed?

"Letterbox Chatter" is not marked as a "Favorite Board" for your account, so it doesn't show up in your "Favorite Board" list (I looked, it isn't).

At some recent point, you must have accidentally taken it off your favorites list. Simply click on the "Heart" icon with the "+" in it, at the bottom of a post, to add the board to your favorites.
Reply to: #972934 by AdventurousAcorn
Mar 19, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
And I get the fun of finding yours!

I’m at 41 planted, and heading out tomorrow to plant more.
Reply to: #972921 by RIclimber
Mar 19, 2019 2:00pm
Thread
I have 53 that are permanent since Dec 1. There are a few still out from the event because they got caught in a few snow storms after the event :)

If it warms up soon... I SO HOPE... I plan on getting about a dozen more to ground by the end date of the challenge...

Of course - about 100 or so temp ones for the event at the end of the month :) Busy, busy, busy
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- Rocklun
Reply to: #972902 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 2:06pm
Thread
I have heard of snow friendly boxes but do not know what makes them snow friendly.

It means they can still be found even if there is deep snow on the ground. So instead of at the bottom of a tree on the ground, the box would perhaps be hanging from a branch on the tree. Or instead of behind a log on the ground the box would be up on a "wall" of boulders in a niche protected from direct snow that would bury it.
Mar 19, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
how do we log boxes using Hat Day?
Reply to: #972922 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 19, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
I’ve planted 19 across four states since the challenge began. I have a few sets and a bunch of individuals just looking for the right spot. Since I’m currently traveling along the coast, I’ll get a bunch more of my Lighthouses of....series planted as well.

Wish I could make Geekfest, me and the dawgs used to tromp through Ulmstead on a regular basis back when I lived in Cary, way before I boxed.

Plant on fellow boxers, I’ll get to yours eventually!