A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: stamps and felt pouches
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972563 by JampersandJ
Mar 11, 2019 11:25am
Thread
only using one bag. I have found perfectly dry contents (double bagged) floating in water before.

I only use one bag when I plant. In most cases, there simply isn't room in the box to double-bag.

Around here, single-bagging is pretty much the norm.
Reply to: #972565 by Rocklun
Mar 11, 2019 11:37am
Thread
I use a single bag, too, but it's always freezer bag, so it has a double zipper and the walls of the bags are thicker. I don't know the difference in cost between sandwich bags and freezer bags, but it seems to make a difference in how well the box withstands the seasons. To me, it's worth the extra ¢¢¢.

~ and how do I manage always to have freezer bags on hand? They are not kept in the kitchen.
Look ~ the sandwich is expected to survive for half a day; then it's eaten. The letterbox's logbook should last for a much longer time, right? Use the right tool for the job.
-- A Message from your Quality Control Team
Reply to: #972556 by JampersandJ
Mar 11, 2019 12:07pm
Thread
Do other parts of the country use felt/cloth pouches for their stamps?

I wrap my stamps in felt, then put the felt-wrapped stamp in a baggie.
Reply to: #972566 by Maude
Mar 11, 2019 12:12pm
Thread
and how do I manage always to have freezer bags on hand? They are not kept in the kitchen.

Exactly!! My husband will grab any ol' baggie, so I make sure my preciousss freezer pint-sized baggies are hidden in my office!
Reply to: #972564 by JampersandJ
Mar 11, 2019 12:24pm
Thread
Yeah, I was wondering if I ought not to use felt pouches anymore, but it looks like it is a common practice across the country.

The felt is not the issue. It's the lack of a waterproof container, quality plastic bags, choice of hiding spot. Tightness of fit also plays a part. I find that if the contents (inside the plastic bags) fit tightly inside a waterproof container as opposed to flopping around in a too big container it makes a difference also.
Reply to: #972564 by JampersandJ
Mar 11, 2019 12:49pm
Thread
Hi J&J
I didn’t mean to imply that there was a problem with the boxes we’ve found. I think felt is a good option and we use it ourselves.

I was offering a possible explaination to the OP. Because let’s face it, if the felt gets soaked the logbook will also be toast.

Good quality baggies, double, with a decent WP container is the key to healthy boxes - without those, felt won’t matter one way or the other in my humble opinion.
Reply to: #972572 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 11, 2019 3:27pm
Thread
if the felt gets soaked the logbook will also be toast.

Which is the reason for using two bags, one for the logbook alone and another one for the stamp. I've found a soaked stamp and dry logbook in the same container........because the logbook was in it's own bag.
Reply to: #972572 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 11, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
Good quality baggies, double, with a decent WP container is the key to healthy boxes - without those, felt won’t matter one way or the other in my humble opinion.

Definitely true. But, in our one case, the planted stamp was over 10 years old - the original box probably long gone. We found the stamp in one chewed up (animal?) freezer zip lock. Someone's previous maintenance? We tossed the soggy felt pouch, and did a double bag, inside of a camo zip pouch (the only thing we had on hand), so essentially, the contents are now protected by 3 seals.

But, the soggy felt got me thinking - what are the benefits of using felt vs. not? It's nice to have if the box contents have been properly re-sealed by the last finder, but if not, it just retains water, can get moldy, etc. and is just another something a future finder has to deal with. Do people get more joy if they find a stamp wrapped in felt/felt bag, or will they be just as happy if it was wrapped in a small piece of paper towel? If people are just as happy, I'd personally skip the felt to give a little more space in my boxes for those double baggies :)

J
Reply to: #972576 by JampersandJ
Mar 11, 2019 3:57pm
Thread
Do people get more joy if they find a stamp wrapped in felt/felt bag, or will they be just as happy if it was wrapped in a small piece of paper towel?

Well, I'd never say "oh, this stamp is wrapped in a crappy old PAPER TOWEL, so I'm going to rate the box as a 1!!"

I'd say do whatever you feel is best! :^)
Mar 11, 2019 4:11pm
Thread
But, the soggy felt got me thinking - what are the benefits of using felt vs. not?

To me it's just an esthetic thing. I've done plants with felt and without felt. I don't consider it a necessity. It's kind of a crafty thing I guess.
Reply to: #972577 by Rocklun
Mar 11, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
this stamp is wrapped in a crappy old PAPER TOWEL,

I'll admit the paper towel thing is a pet peeve of mine. If it's a permanent plant the paper towel will eventually turn into a shredded, inky, useless mess that needs to be thrown out. Or should be. And the more traffic the box has the quicker the paper towel will turn into a mess.

People will carve an amazing stamp, maybe hand make a nice logbook and then wrap the stamp in paper towel. I don't get that.

Either don't use anything for the stamp or wrap it in some kind of fabric, felt, cut up an old t-shirt, something. Or nothing.

Better nothing than eventually useless shredded, paper towel. Actually if it's a series with one logbook at the end, just put the stamp in a container by itself. If it gets wet I can use the old wash cloth I carry to dry it off or dry it on my pants. No biggy.

And I don't rate boxes so that's not an issue.
Reply to: #972579 by MissMoon
Mar 11, 2019 4:53pm
Thread
If it's a permanent plant the paper towel will eventually turn into a shredded, inky, useless mess that needs to be thrown out. Or should be

I don't mind replacing an inky old paper towel, since I figure it's supposed to be replaced as needed (like baggies), but I am hesitant to remove anything more permanent, even if it's in bad shape.
Mar 11, 2019 5:40pm
Thread
the paper towel will eventually turn into a shredded, inky, useless mess that needs to be thrown out.

I find that if the stamp had a lot of leftover ink on it, paper towel tends to stick to it and end up being shredded when you try to take it off. Cloth is more durable. I’m not great with a needle, but you can get a nice “pouch” from a shirt pocket or an old sock.
Mar 12, 2019 12:30am
Thread
Do people get more joy if they find a stamp wrapped in felt/felt bag, or will they be just as happy if it was wrapped in a small piece of paper towel?

That's actually not the issue. The rubbers we carve are not actually rubber; they are various forms of soft plastic. And if they get crammed into a container cockeyed or whatnot and then sit for weeks jammed up against the side of the container, they can get permanently distorted. The felt is to help protect the carved rubber from being unduly stressed when stored. If there is no felt, I'll typically install a paper towel -- a whole paper towel, folded to fit -- because that's better than nothing.
Mar 12, 2019 12:33am
Thread
If it's a permanent plant the paper towel will eventually turn into a shredded, inky, useless mess that needs to be thrown out.

When I come across a stamp wrapped in a shredded, inky, useless mess, I replace it with a new paper towel. Actually, I almost always replace paper towels.
Re: Congrats to aMAZEing adventure frog for box of the week!
Reply to: #972527 by carry on grandma
Mar 12, 2019 3:07am
Thread
Congrats, Frog!!! ♥
Reply to: #972582 by Sheba
Mar 12, 2019 4:41am
Thread
I’m not great with a needle, but you can get a nice “pouch” from a shirt pocket or an old sock.

I'm too unmotivated to take out my sewing machine to make a pouch, but I can whip up a no-sew felt pouch in 5 minutes. I fold a piece of regular wool felt in half and then stab the two sides with a felting needle until the fibers join (I flip it over a couple of time). It's easy and kind of therapeutic!
Reply to: #972565 by Rocklun
Mar 12, 2019 4:46am
Thread
((I only use one bag when I plant. In most cases, there simply isn't room in the box to double-bag. ))

Why not just use a container that will fit two bags?

I coordinate the box.....I carve the stamp a certain size and use a logbook that will fit into a container using two bags. Or the other way round.....coordinate the size of the container to the stamp and logbook.

It just takes a little planning. Most of the boxes I find in NY, CT, and MA have two bags.
Reply to: #972597 by MissMoon
Mar 12, 2019 5:07am
Thread
Why not just use a container that will fit two bags?

I use a lot of small, round boxes in order to have the most flexibility when planting. Double-bagging doesn't work in those boxes.
Reply to: #972596 by Rocklun
Mar 12, 2019 8:56am
Thread
I fold a piece of regular wool felt in half and then stab the two sides with a felting needle until the fibers join. It's easy and kind of therapeutic!

Stabbing, therapeutic!? Note to self: Don’t go boxing with Rocklun.

😀
Reply to: #972605 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 12, 2019 9:21am
Thread
Stabbing, therapeutic!? Note to self: Don’t go boxing with Rocklun.

Are you saying that doing a craft that makes me feel a little like Norman Bates in the Psycho shower scene isn't necessarily a healthy thing??? 🗡😜
Reply to: #972607 by Rocklun
Mar 12, 2019 9:55am
Thread
Are you saying that doing a craft that makes me feel a little like Norman Bates in the Psycho shower scene isn't necessarily a healthy thing???

It wasn't healthy for ME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOYjzL_w_0
Reply to: #972556 by JampersandJ
Mar 12, 2019 10:31am
Thread
i find that less is more. keep it simple 😁
Re: Congrats to aMAZEing adventure frog for box of the week!
Reply to: #972527 by carry on grandma
Mar 12, 2019 10:53am
Thread
Yes, congratulations on this honor. You truly are an incredibly talented artist. I hope to be able to get some of your fabulous images in September!

Congrats again
Mary/CC
Reply to: #972609 by wassamatta u
Mar 12, 2019 12:04pm
Thread

The depiction of dead eyes is priceless! hahahahaha
Reply to: #972609 by wassamatta u
Mar 12, 2019 2:24pm
Thread
Love the finale!!!
Reply to: #972598 by Rocklun
Mar 12, 2019 3:35pm
Thread
I use a lot of small, round boxes in order to have the most flexibility when planting. Double-bagging doesn't work in those boxes.

There are small, even tiny plastic bags at office supply stores. If it's a tight fit that helps to keep things dry. You just have to play around with these methods.

There's an old school thing also....not to do with double bagging really.......but.....if you like small and round........take two old style film canisters....that you can buy on eBay in bulk for not much.....tape them with duct tape...or camo if preferred......with the bottoms together...stamp in one, logbook in the other, use cash register tape for the logbook. :)

Makes a really cool little container. You can put the tiny logbook in one of the tiny plastic bags and if the stamp gets wet that's not really a big deal. Dry it, ink it. :)

Obviously some hiding spots are more suited to the canisters than others but it's a fun container.
Reply to: #972626 by MissMoon
Mar 12, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
That brings back such memories! I loved those containers back in the heyday of early PA boxing, but I haven't seen anybody use that setup in years.
Reply to: #972628 by Mu
Mar 12, 2019 6:04pm
Thread
That brings back such memories! I loved those containers back in the heyday of early PA boxing, but I haven't seen anybody use that setup in years.

I actually have a couple setting on my desk. I've been wanting to use them. The boxing muse hasn't called out to me yet. Have to do a wee little stamp. Or a "hinged" stamp. More old school I'll bet you remember. heh

You know, I keep looking at that box you planted in MA.....the one I can't figure out yet. lol
Reply to: #972633 by MissMoon
Mar 12, 2019 6:19pm
Thread
Hinged stamps oft accompanied the double film canister boxes.

Which one, Yidstock? Or something a bit more secretive? ;)