A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Lock & Locks or...?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971440 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 14, 2019 5:52am
Thread
Seconding Sistema. We get ours at Target. Weโ€™ve had some that have been out for years and are still going strong.

https://tinyurl.com/yxehc769
Reply to: #971439 by Baqash
Feb 14, 2019 6:36am
Thread
Maybe I will try some Sistema locally so that I can keep an eye on them with the spring rains.
Reply to: #971443 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 10:46am
Thread
If you have a Home Goods in your area, that's a good place to look for Sistema containers, as well as other similar lesser known brands that might work. There's generally a place in the kitchenware area that has a jumble of plastic storage containers for sale, and sometimes you can get good deals on sets of multiples.

For those of you who have the Korean grocery store H-Mart in their area, they also carry Lock N Lock type containers at pretty good prices. I've put some of those in the field and so far so good. I can't name the specific brand because the labels are in Korean which I can't read, unfortunately.
Letterboxing Class?
Feb 14, 2019 10:51am
Thread
There are few letterboxers in our area. I am toying with the idea of offering a class in our local area about this fun, outdoor, scavenger hunt, hiking game. I have posted and have gotten interest based on that description. Now I am wondering what are your thoughts, Fellow Boxers.

My hesitations are based on if people are sloppy, not respectful of boxes or surroundings, or not discreet.

Have you ever done a class to share the hobby in an attempt to grow participation in your area? If so, how did you spread the word, and how do you feel it went? If not, what are your thoughts on the idea?
Re: Letterboxing Class?
Reply to: #971447 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 11:39am
Thread
I have taught a few letterboxing classes to girl scout troops and college students - we always start by talking about some of the very important concepts - including respect for nature, respect for personal property, safety, secrecy, etc. It's gone well.

You could start there - let them know that if letterboxes are not discreet/respectful, this awesome adventure could die out. Ask them how they would feel if they worked really hard on a beautiful stamp and then because someone was lazy and didn't properly hide it, someone mistook it for trash and tossed it out.

Overall - the people interested in coming to a workshop on letterboxing will understand the reasons to stress these important points.

Spread the passion and pass on letterboxing traditions! New boxers = new boxes for us all!
Reply to: #971450 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 14, 2019 11:46am
Thread
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the topic. Maybe I am a bit nervous about losing boxes that I am just planting, but what can I do, right?

I definitely agree with that last statement. Also, now that we are back at it, I am reminded that we were the main people planting around here. It would be nice to have some more folks planting around here so that we can hunt, too, without having to go far. ๐Ÿ˜‰ LOL.
Feb 14, 2019 11:59am
Thread
Have you ever done a class to share the hobby in an attempt to grow participation in your area?

I did a presentation once (at LBCon, actually), about The History Of Letterboxing. I'd offer to let you have it, but it burned up in a freak accident.
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
I seem to be the exception re: Sistema. I've run across several in UT that were wet inside. We are high desert, but still have moisture problems due to lots of snow and flash-flooding spring rains. Maybe those wet Sistemas were hidden in places that have flooding; I don't remember specifically. However I have planted a few Sistemas as my own boxes and don't recall problems, but then I've learned from failure the fine art of hiding for the most part. I think I got my Sistemas at World Market. I say give them a try locally and be careful to hide them where moisture will not be a problem.
Feb 14, 2019 1:08pm
Thread
We try to offer classes in our area at least twice a year. Our letterboxing community has expanded and the number of letterboxes has increased.

Our sessions introduce, demonstrate, and allow participants to follow clues to time sensitive boxes planted for the event. We stress proper steps but then it is up to the participants to register on AQ, print clues, and find boxes. I would say that about 5% of the folks who attend our sessions get registered and actually go letterboxing for longer than a year. Of those, they have jumped in with both feet. (On a side note, people who do not decide to letterbox know what a letterbox looks like replace them if found.)

When I began letterboxing just 6 years ago there were 35 letterboxes within a 30 mile radius of my house. Today there are over 400 - many of which we planted for events. In order to continue this wonderful fun, we must try to build it up. We should invite new letterboxers to hike with us and demonstrate how to follow clues, not make social trails, do box maintenance, replace a box and cover well, and how to record finds. We must encourage them to plant boxes. Those in our group try to plant a new box each season.

In short, we feel that sessions for introducing letterboxing is beneficial. We hold sessions at libraries and at our forest preserve. They help us to promote the sessions. I would be very happy to share my outline with you.

TeachJR
Reply to: #971452 by wassamatta u
Feb 14, 2019 2:54pm
Thread
freak accident

while it was surprising, verging on shocking
Wiktionary
freak accident(Noun)
An incident, especially one that is harmful, occurring under highly unusual and unlikely circumstances.

there was nothing unlikely about the circumstances given who was the Keynote speaker.
Feb 14, 2019 7:38pm
Thread
Might talk with MO UR4Me as she as taught many classes in the STL area.
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
I found some nice small boxes by a brand called Sistema. They are about $4 for 3 at Walmart:
https://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-packs/200ml-three-pack
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 7:47pm
Thread
I have some Sistema boxes but I haven't had them out long enough to see how well they hold up. They seem like they are pretty good.
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 8:24pm
Thread
I pick up LnLs at yard sales. Church sales are the best, dozens are normally donated and they get marked around 25 cents each! All different sizes, too.
Why hide plants?
Feb 16, 2019 5:19am
Thread
I am curious why some people hide their plants on their profile page. Since you want people to see your plants, it strikes me as odd. There must be a reason, though, eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Re: Why hide plants?
Reply to: #971537 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 5:48am
Thread
Agreed! When I find a stamp I really like, I like to โ€œfollowโ€ that carver, find their other artwork and get disappointed when I canโ€™t access that info easily through their page.
Reply to: #971537 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 6:37am
Thread
Sometimes, there is someone we don't want to see our movements, therefore, we make our logbooks private.

Not all letterboxers are in it for the boxing, some are a wee stalkery, which is sad.
Reply to: #971544 by estella_naparella
Feb 16, 2019 6:44am
Thread
Seriously? That is creepy. It is a wonder how some people think. ๐Ÿ˜•
Feb 16, 2019 6:50am
Thread
Well that is creepy. How common is this? (As in, is this isolated to well known boxers that have been around a long time with super awesome plants?)
Feb 16, 2019 6:52am
Thread
What I don't understand is what difference does it make if someone sees that I went to St. Louis or Ohio ... That really doesn't tell them anything, they're not stalking me because they don't know I was there until after I'm not.
Reply to: #971546 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 7:07am
Thread
So let's just say I hide a mystery box in the middle of a long day of planting less mysterious boxes. I might hide my plants for a while so as not to give away hints about the probable location of the mystery box. My finds are currently hidden because I logged some well known boxes while also logging a brand new mystery box series. In retrospect I will probably just log finds or plants like this on separate days because I often let people use my finds to plan boxing trips to Stone Mountain.
But there are not creepy reasons to hide one's plants.
Maybe they plant in a park whose policy has become less permissive to letterboxing and the manager knows their trail name from pulling a box. Hiding their plants might protect the remaining boxes, for instance.
Maybe they planted a bunch of boxes before they learned to carve and don't want folks to go looking for early carves.
Maybe they are trying to keep their real life location private--boxing has led to marriages; I'm sure it has also witnessed divorces. I wouldn't want a hypothetical ex knowing where I hang out on weekends. And since I don't generally plant what I cant physical maintain ( *since my out of state caretakers turned out to be pretty uninterested in box maintance) it's pretty much a given I will be back to any given plant fairly often.
Reply to: #971551 by Quarry
Feb 16, 2019 7:24am
Thread
I got a ticket for putting out a temporary box at my campsite in a state park during an event. The ranger pulled up my listing on AQ, had my name and license plate from the campground, left the ticket on my windshield while out hiking... He also cited me for leaving my pre-teens watching a movie in my locked camper while I was out hiking...

I restrict all my boxes now!
Reply to: #971551 by Quarry
Feb 16, 2019 8:07am
Thread
Thank you, Quarry. That actually makes sense. I appreciate the insight.
Reply to: #971552 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Feb 16, 2019 8:09am
Thread
Wow, it seems like that was quite an overzealous ranger. Why did it matter what you had at your own campsite?!
Reply to: #971559 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 8:24am
Thread
Why did it matter what you had at your own campsite?!

Maybe it was planted in a box of donuts in bear country? =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971547 by All 4 Bama
Feb 16, 2019 8:43am
Thread
How common is this?

It's not really very common. And I'd venture to say it's being nosy rather creepy.
Feb 16, 2019 10:22am
Thread
I restrict all my boxes now!

If you restrict all your boxes, the Rangers win. Well, that one single Ranger wins.
Feb 16, 2019 11:01am
Thread
I got a ticket for putting out a temporary box at my campsite in a state park during an event.

Iโ€™m curious, were letterboxes not allowed at this state park?
Reply to: #971559 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 12:07pm
Thread
Who knows? I did put that it was temporary.

State parks in TX require a permit to establish something like a geocache. It's quite a process. BootsTex has worked with the legislature to get letterboxes approved and yet no progress...
Reply to: #971570 by sketchy-looking guy
Feb 16, 2019 12:09pm
Thread
Well, the letterbox community wins. I wouldn't say the rangers win... The people it matters to can see my boxes, which after seeing your stats (sketchy-looking guy) that it won't matter at all.