A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: What did we miss ABCs?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971317 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 5:46am
Thread
Rebiccola is riveted by refined reproductions in rubber.
Reply to: #971039 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 11:02am
Thread
Super speedy pink stuff stylized signature stamps signifying symbolism and stoking seeker's stimulating searches.
Reply to: #971325 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:27pm
Thread
Travel to terrifically talented trimmers' tableaux
The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Feb 11, 2019 4:21pm
Thread
And, in an un-solicited anonymous gesture of good will! LTC-ers are the best!

DZ
Re: The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Reply to: #971340 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 11, 2019 7:09pm
Thread
Oooh! Do tell-what goodies did you get??😀
Feb 11, 2019 9:31pm
Thread
Uncommon, unique utensils creating the ultimate unsurpassed urban letterboxes!
Reply to: #971355 by jlsd0218
Feb 11, 2019 9:42pm
Thread
Very vehement vegans venerating valuable vegetables.
Reply to: #971356 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 11, 2019 9:48pm
Thread
Well, while wassa was waiting, watching words which were wittily written, wary walkers wandered widdershins without wobbling wildly.

Woohoo!!!
Re: The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Reply to: #971348 by Gypsy Fiddler
Feb 11, 2019 11:37pm
Thread
A very nice corner rounding punch. It was such a treat arriving like it did - out of the blue. ECP has been wanting something like that so it was much appreciated! Like I said, the LTC community is the greatest!

(thanks gmh!)
Reply to: #971357 by wassamatta u
Feb 12, 2019 7:12am
Thread
Since nobody else wants to do X... This is definitely something I have seen in our hobby:

Exactos exsanguinating exhausted experts.
Reply to: #971371 by wassamatta u
Feb 12, 2019 8:16am
Thread
Exactos exsanguinating exhausted experts.

So true, so true.
Feb 12, 2019 2:30pm
Thread
Yagimented Yaagers Yaply Yield Yummy Yantras

(seriously, I've got to actually get some work done so somebody PLEASE take Z???!!!)
Feb 12, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
Since nobody else wants to do X...

Who said so? I just wasn't available at my keyboard at the time. Here is X, with the help of the internet.

Xylotomous xerus xeroxed xanthic xeric xylocarps.

I'll leave Z to someone else who wants to exercise their search engine.
Feb 13, 2019 3:02am
Thread
Zany zombies zigzagging zealously zestfully zeroing in on zone of clues.
Lock & Locks or...?
Feb 13, 2019 11:00am
Thread
Does anybody remember when we could buy LnLs directly from the company in bulk for around $1.25 each? Wow, they are expensive now. Does anybody know a more affordable outlet for buying LnLs, or have you discovered a container that is just as water tight and more coat effective?
Re: Lock & Locks or...?
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 11:44am
Thread
I use Freshness Keepers from Ocean State Job Lot, a LnL knockoff.

Warrior Woman
frugal
Re: Raisin' 'em right
Reply to: #970629 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 12:00pm
Thread
OK, so the down side of getting my beloved fomites involved in this hobby is when they come to you first thing in the morning and say, "Did you really make your reservations using your trail name?" in reference to something you posted, and you immediately think, "Oh, $#!+ crap. What else did I say?" Would you like coffee with your heart attack this morning?
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 12:03pm
Thread
sadly, of the three OSJL's I recently went to here in MA (NW of Boston), only one still had any FK's, and it looked like they were phasing them out at that.

One of the stores instead was selling a box called 'think Fresh' instead... it markets with a 'silicone seal' on the label, but the flaps lift UP, not DOWN.

I hope they work as well as the FKs, cuz the FKs I've had in the field have held up well for years now.
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
Ah, we do not have those stores in North Carolina. Thank you for the tip, though. I did try Google to no avail.
Feb 13, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps. They sell in packages of 2 (and sometimes 3) for $1. This price of 2 for $1 makes them very affordable and they are very durable. Usually they are in their seasonal area and not where most of the Tupperware knock offs are.
Reply to: #971421 by TeachJR
Feb 13, 2019 9:22pm
Thread
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps.

Bought a bunch of those, had to throw them out. The seal is made of something that rots to pieces within a couple of years in the wild.
Feb 14, 2019 1:23am
Thread
I searched and found that someone recommended Sistema, which seems inexpensive. Have any of you tried them, and did they hold up to moisture?
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 4:13am
Thread
I live in the desert so can’t really answer to moisture question. However, sistema has a real hinge going in its favor instead of the creased flap that lnl’s had and break quickly (in letterbox time). I know Kurious Jo and woodaug from Washington state have gone to sistema.
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 5:00am
Thread
We've had decent success with Sistema here in Florida. I pick them up at TJMaxx for $1.99 for the small 2 flap container. Is the perfect size for a single backed stamp and a logbook.
I wash the containers in soap and water a couple of times and they accept a good spray coat of paint fairly well except for the clasps which inevitably the paint will peel and crack off.
Reply to: #971440 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 14, 2019 5:52am
Thread
Seconding Sistema. We get ours at Target. We’ve had some that have been out for years and are still going strong.

https://tinyurl.com/yxehc769
Reply to: #971439 by Baqash
Feb 14, 2019 6:36am
Thread
Maybe I will try some Sistema locally so that I can keep an eye on them with the spring rains.
Reply to: #971443 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 10:46am
Thread
If you have a Home Goods in your area, that's a good place to look for Sistema containers, as well as other similar lesser known brands that might work. There's generally a place in the kitchenware area that has a jumble of plastic storage containers for sale, and sometimes you can get good deals on sets of multiples.

For those of you who have the Korean grocery store H-Mart in their area, they also carry Lock N Lock type containers at pretty good prices. I've put some of those in the field and so far so good. I can't name the specific brand because the labels are in Korean which I can't read, unfortunately.
Letterboxing Class?
Feb 14, 2019 10:51am
Thread
There are few letterboxers in our area. I am toying with the idea of offering a class in our local area about this fun, outdoor, scavenger hunt, hiking game. I have posted and have gotten interest based on that description. Now I am wondering what are your thoughts, Fellow Boxers.

My hesitations are based on if people are sloppy, not respectful of boxes or surroundings, or not discreet.

Have you ever done a class to share the hobby in an attempt to grow participation in your area? If so, how did you spread the word, and how do you feel it went? If not, what are your thoughts on the idea?
Re: Letterboxing Class?
Reply to: #971447 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 11:39am
Thread
I have taught a few letterboxing classes to girl scout troops and college students - we always start by talking about some of the very important concepts - including respect for nature, respect for personal property, safety, secrecy, etc. It's gone well.

You could start there - let them know that if letterboxes are not discreet/respectful, this awesome adventure could die out. Ask them how they would feel if they worked really hard on a beautiful stamp and then because someone was lazy and didn't properly hide it, someone mistook it for trash and tossed it out.

Overall - the people interested in coming to a workshop on letterboxing will understand the reasons to stress these important points.

Spread the passion and pass on letterboxing traditions! New boxers = new boxes for us all!
Re: Letterboxing Class?
Reply to: #971450 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 14, 2019 11:46am
Thread
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the topic. Maybe I am a bit nervous about losing boxes that I am just planting, but what can I do, right?

I definitely agree with that last statement. Also, now that we are back at it, I am reminded that we were the main people planting around here. It would be nice to have some more folks planting around here so that we can hunt, too, without having to go far. 😉 LOL.