Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Letterboxing New Year's resolutions?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969803 by paper trail
Dec 31, 2018 8:57am
Thread
Thank you. I missed this post but already have 4 plants toward that goal!
Dec 31, 2018 10:22am
Thread
Very interesting, and frankly the kind of external motivation I need to complete my own NY resolution - lol! Am I understanding correctly that this is open to NC letterboxers or out-of-state letterboxers planing in NC? (In other words, someone such as myself - a CO letterboxer planting in CO - wouldn't fit with this challenge?) If my understanding is correct, is it Ok to knock off this idea?
Reply to: #969806 by Angel and Demon
Dec 31, 2018 11:43am
Thread
~ Other details: boxers and boxes everywhere are welcome!
Anyone can participate - even boxers in other states
You can plant anywhere - even other states (letterboxing while traveling is a grand adventure)!
Reply to: #969809 by Road Junkies
Dec 31, 2018 12:03pm
Thread
Thanks... I interpreted that differently.
Dec 31, 2018 12:05pm
Thread
Please, we don't need more flingers.
Oct 2005 DUNE FLYER
Dec 31, 2018 12:14pm
Thread
this was our very first plant

and was found again yesterday

over 13 years...original stamp....4th log book

yippee

Dixie Darlin' and Snake Dancer
now in North Carolina
but still have a local friend who will do maintenance for us
Reply to: #969812 by Kirbert
Dec 31, 2018 12:23pm
Thread
Please, we don't need more flingers.

True, of course, but the call for quality is emphasized so I don't think this event is promoting the indiscriminate spewing of garbage (ISOG)
Reply to: #969812 by Kirbert
Dec 31, 2018 12:32pm
Thread
Guess you missed this part of the post?

~ Quality is important ~
While this is a planting challenge, it's important to still think through your permanent plant - don't just toss boxes out and hope for the best. Plant boxes in locations you would be able to check on, are safe from muggle meddling, and will hopefully be around for quite a while. Drive by, long hike, easy clue, challenging puzzle - and all shapes and sizes of letterboxes in between - those details are up to you. You could do a series or individual boxes. Since the goal is to increase our permanent plants in the state, these boxes should be permanent, not temporary or just for events.
Reply to: #969800 by PiggyJaunt
Dec 31, 2018 2:08pm
Thread
Let's see... I'm planting over 400 for Final Flight... How about thatπŸ˜‚πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚
Dec 31, 2018 3:00pm
Thread
do they have to be permanent traditional plants? I always do a holiday series in Missouri which is only planted through winter.
Reply to: #969800 by PiggyJaunt
Dec 31, 2018 3:06pm
Thread
I just planted my third one today.

Honestly without the challenge, I don't think I'd push myself to get one out there. I got this one ready with a two day notice.
Re: Oct 2005 DUNE FLYER
Reply to: #969813 by dixie darlin
Dec 31, 2018 3:46pm
Thread
So cool!
Our first plant has already gone missing.

Here's to many more years for your box!!
Reply to: #969823 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Dec 31, 2018 4:36pm
Thread
Since the goal is to increase our permanent plants in the state, these boxes should be permanent, not temporary or just for events.
Reply to: #969797 by Angel and Demon
Dec 31, 2018 4:40pm
Thread
I've decided to aim for at least 1 plant each month during 2019. I need some sort of deadline or something to get me moving, too many stamps sitting in a pile (next to the containers so I don't really have an excuse).

I though of inviting others to join me, and was about to post asking for advice for how I could do that (tracker, etc)? - sort of like a letterbox-hiding-support-group. I wasn't aware of the Power Plant Challenge; so glad it was reposted in this thread. Thanks!
Reply to: #969830 by Bon Echo
Dec 31, 2018 7:20pm
Thread
I though of inviting others to join me, and was about to post asking for advice for how I could do that (tracker, etc)? - sort of like a letterbox-hiding-support-group.

Planting day in West Austin
Happy New Year to our Eastern Coasters!!
Dec 31, 2018 9:01pm
Thread
Happy 2019 to you! May all your boxing dreams for the next year come true!

FORAYCH - Western Coaster...still in 2018 :)
Re: Happy New Year to our Eastern Coasters!!
Reply to: #969836 by FORAYCH
Dec 31, 2018 9:10pm
Thread
Happy New Year-to-be from the East Coast to you and the folks in the other time zones!

(Hubby and I can't believe we're still awake...)
Dec 31, 2018 9:24pm
Thread
We've been celebrating for two days "Down Under".... Close to 500 boxers from 8 countries NOT including the US....

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!
Reply to: #969838 by Public Hand
Dec 31, 2018 10:17pm
Thread
What a wonderful way to celebrate New Year's. I'm sitting here watching Indiana Jones and Zentangling.
Reply to: #969838 by Public Hand
Dec 31, 2018 10:28pm
Thread
We are tremendously jealous, Public Hand. That sounds like quite the gathering!!
Jan 1, 2019 1:10pm
Thread
Happy 2019 to all!!!
Nightboxes - Seeking Owner
Jan 2, 2019 9:37am
Thread
Hi All -

A while back I hosted a LB event in the metro-Detroit area.

A fellow letterboxer was kind enough to loan me their nightboxes for the event. I need to return them to their rightful owner, but do not remember from whom I borrowed the boxes.

If the owner is still out there and reads this, please PM me and I will get them back to you ASAP.

My sincere apologies for the delay :(

Best,
SunFleur
Re: Nightboxes - Seeking Owner
Reply to: #969911 by SunFleur
Jan 2, 2019 8:06pm
Thread
Was it TrailTroll?
Re: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)
Reply to: #652264 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 3, 2019 1:31pm
Thread
It couldn't be better put GMH.!!!!!!!
Reply to: #375453 by Kirbert
Jan 3, 2019 1:46pm
Thread
It's very effective when closed securely. Unfortunately, there are many letterboxers who don't feel the need to close screw-top containers securely, so these boxes usually get wet inside sooner or later.

I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags. I use the container as a hard shell to protect the plastic bags. The container also served to keep out bugs.
Reply to: #969959 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 1:32am
Thread
I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags.

Unfortunately, those same boxers don't see the need to close baggies properly either. You'd be amazed at how often I've checked on my boxes and instead of the log book in one baggie and the stamp in another, both items are crammed into one baggie where they don't fit and hence the baggie cannot be sealed shut, and the other baggie left empty and just crammed back into the box.
Re: Nightboxes - Seeking Owner
Reply to: #969911 by SunFleur
Jan 4, 2019 10:25am
Thread
Were those the Things Under a Rock boxes by Bubbaloo Magoo?
Friday Distractions: How Many Boxes ...
Jan 4, 2019 5:10pm
Thread
I'm going to live vicariously through others because I haven't found any letterboxes yet this year, and I haven't any plans for planting any this weekend.

So, have you found and/or planted any letterboxes so far this year? Do you have any plans to do so this first weekend of the new year? Please make your experience as interesting as possible even if you have to use hyperbole or puffery. Let's see how fun you can make your experience.
Re: Friday Distractions: How Many Boxes ...
Reply to: #970001 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 5:37pm
Thread
I planted a pair on New Year's Day morning. I was hiking in New England in a short-sleeve T-shirt and I was hot. Crazy. There was a high wind advisory, and normally I don't voluntarily walk around under rotting trees in those conditions, but it seemed like the entire population of Connecticut was bolting from their homes and tramping through the great outdoors, and I didn't want to be the wussy one.

One of the stamps is for Saugatuck, Michigan, just because I saw an AQ event listed "Serial Killer in Saugatuck" right as I was hiking the Saugatuck Trail in CT, which struck me funny. I didn't even know there was a Saugatuck in Michigan, and it's such a unique name that I looked it up. It's from the Paugussett Indians of CT and means "Mouth of the River." So I planted a stamp for Saugatuck MI on the Saugatuck Trail in CT. Because why not?
Re: Friday Distractions: How Many Boxes ...
Reply to: #970001 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 5:44pm
Thread
I'm going to be tromping around the woods tomorrow, but it's not going to be for finding boxes. I'll be finding orange and white flag with a punch. Orienteeting meet with scouts. And with all the rain we've had, it will be a soggy tromping. Should be interesting.