A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Carnival Ecstasy
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969406 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 14, 2018 11:47pm
Thread
Thanks for the info. I was surprised by secret letterboxes at the Spy Museum in DC, so I always ask now just in case. 🙂
Re: Hitchhikers
Reply to: #969328 by Cross Family
Dec 15, 2018 5:08am
Thread
I’ve only launched a few HHs but several years back my niece and I launched one on a family trip to FL. It moved relatively quickly to CO but then sank into obscurity for a couple years. I had attached a notice that we were watching its progress and would like to know if it ever came home to central NY and one day I got a message that it had been brought from TX to a neighboring county. I couldn’t believe it! It still took us over a year to find the time to collect the HH but we eventually did. I wonder how often people see their own again? We relaunched it over the summer, so we’ll see if lightening can strike twice.
Reply to: #969407 by Belmont Bunch
Dec 15, 2018 6:01am
Thread
Nows that seems like a perfect fit!
Reply to: #969407 by Belmont Bunch
Dec 15, 2018 6:01am
Thread
Hopefully they survive the museum move.
Reply to: #969404 by Belmont Bunch
Dec 15, 2018 12:53pm
Thread
Not where you are headed but I just planted two boxes in Cozumel last month in case anyone is heading that way. They are about a one mile walk from the area where Carnival and Royal Caribbean dock.
Reply to: #969401 by All 4 Bama
Dec 15, 2018 11:51pm
Thread
I have never been a huge fan of HH and like others have said, usually stamp them only and leave them unless it is at a very seldom found box. But I at least have a better system since I moved to Alaska. Everyone leaves them up here since for them it is a far trip for them and the HH, so I just ignore them so the other tourists can take them away!
Reply to: #969411 by detective
Dec 16, 2018 6:14am
Thread
I found a HH once that was in a race with another HH to get from the east coast to California. I was so excited since I was on my way to California later that year. Then I started looking through the log book, and it had been to California already and was now sightseeing wherever.

But that was a great idea. Put a quest on the HH and see if people respond better. Maybe include a prize to the finders of the winners.
Hmm...
Reply to: #969434 by Eidolon
Dec 16, 2018 6:56am
Thread
I have never been a huge fan of HH

I did some when I first started boxing but then pretty much lost interest.

The first box I ever found though was a HH, in Texas. The box was missing but the HH was there. According to logging info it seems to have fallen into a black hole three years later in Oregon and has since been retired.

HHs just don't do it for me. Maybe if they traveled more? But too often they stay in a box or someone's backpack or car for too long. They fall into black holes and disappear.
Secret Santa stamp
Dec 17, 2018 12:37pm
The Cross'Family received their Secret Stamp/ PKG today!.... Thanks to The Woodshed!
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Reply to: #968711 by Mizscarlet
Dec 23, 2018 1:04pm
Thread
Dear Lord, I wasn't going to jump in but now I am. This has been my montra as some of my closest friends know. Some of my VERY best letterboxing experiences have been where a box was missing or one was where someone carved a simple x In the old PZ-Cut. I just took my granddaughter letterboxing for her very first time. I told her there are no guarantees will will be able to figure out the clues and that the box will even be there but I told her the box and the stamp are only PART of the deal and that any time we can spend time outdoors and exploring new places together, it was a great day! Sure enough, the box was long gone but she assured me the was still great bc she loved the little (unexpected park ) and that we had had fun. My point is that when I tell people about letterboxing, I hope their experience is in trying or exploring something new and they can figure out which aspects they like best. Some can't hike on trails any more, Some only like event boxing, Some like historic boxes or ones in cemeteries and some jump over to LTC rings. There's something for everyone so when explaining to new folks I hope they know there are many options they can try. Going to crawl back under my SPOR. Lol
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Reply to: #969604 by Trailtracker
Dec 23, 2018 3:48pm
Thread
Totally agree, Trailtracker. And when we find enough time, we will be back to Hocking Hills to look for a number of older boxes, unknown and unvisited for a long time. The experience is totally worth it.
Letterboxing Hotbeds
Dec 24, 2018 6:06pm
Thread
Other than the obvious CT and MA, where are some letterboxing hotbeds in the US? I’m thinking what city or park or even cemetery (I’m looking at you, Spring Grove) would you be sure to include if you were on a road trip and wanted to find a lot of letterboxes in a relatively compact area?

We have Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta in this category. What other places can you let us in on?

Many thanks!
RJ
Re: Letterboxing Hotbeds
Reply to: #969634 by Road Junkies
Dec 24, 2018 6:44pm
Thread
Hog Heaven outside of Red Bluff, CA

All the Scottish and Irish themed boxes at the Nicasio Reservoir in Marin County, CA
Dec 24, 2018 7:28pm
Thread
Crown Hill Cemetery Indianapolis
Dec 24, 2018 7:47pm
Thread
We are fairly congested here in Maine. And if you do come to Maine, we do like to set up mini meets for new visitors.

Ray
Happydaze
Dec 24, 2018 9:17pm
Thread
Tucson has a lot of boxes but you have to hike for many so it would take time. You are going to fly in and scoop them up in a week.
Dec 25, 2018 6:40am
Thread
Do Ohio. Greenlawn in Columbus, Spring Grove in Cincinnati. There is a big cemetery in Dayton, a ton of boxes in a couple of cemeteries in Urbana, and a bunch in the cemeteries of Chillicothe. You can spend your whole trip with the dead. No one to whine that it's time to stop boxing. Just bliss.
Dec 25, 2018 6:51am
Thread
If your headed to stone mountain park and ens up on I-20 hard labour creek statepark is worth a stop, so I hear.
Dec 25, 2018 9:10am
Thread
We've had some wonderful events in Michigan with beautifully carved stamps in fabulous parks. You can spend a day or two or more letterboxing in each place. Here are some that come to mind:

Lyon Oaks Dog Park, 52221 Pontiac Trail, Wixom, MI

Three metroparks connected: Willow Metropark, 23200 S Huron Rd, Huron Charter Township, MI, along with Lower Huron Metropark, E Huron River Dr & S Metro Parkway, Belleville, MI, as well as Oakwoods Metropark, 32911 Willow Rd, New Boston, MI

Waterloo Recreation Area, 17030 Bush Rd, Chelsea, MI

Proud Lake Recreation Area, 3500 Wixom Rd, Commerce Twp, MI
Re: cell phone policies
Reply to: #968832 by Amanda from Seattle
Dec 25, 2018 2:09pm
Thread
Do I detect a note of sarcasm in your use of the words "service animal"?
Reply to: #969659 by Angel Winks
Dec 25, 2018 2:27pm
Thread
North Carolina in the Charlotte/Raleigh Durham and Greensboro/Winston-Salem areas have a lot of boxes. And awesome carvers too!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #969654 by PiggyJaunt
Dec 25, 2018 5:38pm
Thread
Cleveland area Lakeview cemetery and a whole bunch of lb love in the metroparks and surrounding amazing areas too!
Reply to: #969674 by gemini girl
Dec 25, 2018 6:16pm
Thread
Pretty much all of Ohio!!
Reply to: #969654 by PiggyJaunt
Dec 26, 2018 3:42am
Thread
Do Ohio. Greenlawn in Columbus, Spring Grove in Cincinnati. There is a big cemetery in Dayton, a ton of boxes in a couple of cemeteries in Urbana, and a bunch in the cemeteries of Chillicothe.

You can easily spend a week in this area hitting these cemeteries--Spring Grove alone would take 2-3 days to do completely!! And these are all within a max of 2 hours of each other!

Would love to meet up if you do head out to the Heart of It All
Reply to: #969635 by Public Hand
Dec 26, 2018 6:16am
Thread
Homer Lake Forest Preserve near Homer, IL

Homer Lake (not far from Urbana, IL and the University of Illinois) has been the location of Homerdoodle at Homer Lake 2016 and Homerdoodle 2018. Both events placed many letterboxes on the trails there and Homerdoodle in the Country 2017 is in Vermilion County not far away. In addition, there are many, many letterboxes planted within a 30 mile radius of Champaign, IL. Homerdoodle in the Woods will take place in July 2019 just to the west of Champaign, IL - planning on quite a few more letterboxes to be planted on trails in another Champaign County Forest Preserve.
Boxing on Boxing Day
Dec 26, 2018 1:22pm
Thread
So, who has actually gone (letter)-boxing on Boxing Day? Tell us about your experience.
Re: Boxing on Boxing Day
Reply to: #969687 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 26, 2018 2:17pm
Thread
Me! Today. We did a cemetery series with a friend, then had a late, but wonderful Chinese buffet lunch.
After the first set of boxes, a car buzzed past us (not cemetery speed), and parked where we were supposed to park for our next boxes. Two people hopped out and strode across the 'planting ground', turning abruptly, then stopping, turned again, waved their arms a bit, and ~ gee, what could they be doing? They sure weren't mourners.
We drove past slowly, wondering if they would find their target before they found any of ours, went around the loop, and returned just as they jumped back into their car and hurried away.

Yes, we found what we were looking for. At lunch we discussed trying to letterbox outdoors at least once in January and February, too. Sometimes it's possible, and other years it just isn't a good idea. We shall see.
Dec 26, 2018 3:53pm
Thread
St. Louis!
Reply to: #969687 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 26, 2018 4:33pm
Thread
I did some box maintenance. Replaced two missing boxes, discovered that two others from the same series were missing, so the series is still down by two boxes.

And--even worse--one of the missing boxes included one of my very first stamps that had been in the wild and going strong for 15 years. RIP little worm.... *moment of silence*

Then I climbed a tree--so much better to smell the dead skunk by the parking lot.

Good times! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #969691 by Green Tortuga
Dec 26, 2018 4:35pm
Thread
Aw!! So sorry for your loss, but happy you had less to smell from above, hang in there! smile