A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968858 by MissMoon
Nov 28, 2018 8:53am
Thread
Although Ryan may soon have to find another animal.

https://psmag.com/environment/what-killed-these-lemurs

Dang, did we do that!?!
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Reply to: #968862 by dingus dufus
Nov 28, 2018 12:13pm
Thread
Dang, did we do that!?!

Did I do that?
Re: cell phone policies
Reply to: #968859 by Public Hand
Nov 28, 2018 1:34pm
Thread
OMG. New word. Fomite. Fomite. Fomite. Wash your Public Hands.
Reply to: #968868 by Wry Me
Nov 29, 2018 8:02am
Thread
New word

I love obscure, seldom used words......but I love seriously multi-syllabic words even more. Our engineering staff know that if they can work any of these into their investigations or reports, I give bonus points!!
Reply to: #968899 by Public Hand
Nov 29, 2018 9:18am
Thread
That is excellent. Here's mine for the week (not English, obvs):

mamihlapinatapai

defined as that moment when you hear a clunk, but don't know if it's a box or a tree root resonating in a hollow spot -- holy anticipatory not-knowing.

or not.

Today I told my students I had developed a new term of affection for them: fomites

As Holling suspected in The Wednesday Wars, it's a "teacher trick to get you to look up the word."
Nov 29, 2018 9:23am
Thread
Hmmmmmm--no record of a fomite box, ...yet.
Reply to: #968901 by Wronghat
Nov 29, 2018 9:39am
Thread
What can I say, with all the surgery I've had so far this year, I'm behind...... where's the "Slacker" button when you need it? 8D
Nov 29, 2018 12:21pm
Thread
Our engineering staff know that if they can work any of these into their investigations or reports, I give bonus points!!

Not quite the same thing but I was a science major in college and a couple of us played a game where in EVERY paper we wrote, we inserted the made up but biochem sounding word "postlyptic".

In three years, I got it circled on a paper one time with a couple of question marks beside it.
Reply to: #968911 by Eidolon
Nov 29, 2018 12:34pm
Thread
"postlyptic"

Oh, that is awesome!!!
Reply to: #968828 by mudflinginfools
Nov 30, 2018 3:36pm
Thread
My job performance is based on my UPH (units per hour) numbers. If the person in the aisle ahead of me doesn't have the same work ethic I do and is on the phone, get off the production floor and play with your phone all you want. Don't screw up my chances of getting rehired next season.
Reply to: #968828 by mudflinginfools
Nov 30, 2018 4:18pm
Thread
I spend all my time as a teacher policing the cell phones and telling students to get off of them and put them away. ;)

I myself am not super attached to my phone, I turn it off or to vibrate and forget to turn it back, most of the time.
Reply to: #968938 by Basset Mom
Dec 1, 2018 1:07am
Thread
I spend all my time as a teacher policing the cell phones and telling students to get off of them and put them away.

SWMBO is retired now, but where she taught the rules worked this way: If caught with a cell phone or if your cell phone made any noise and interrupted class, the teacher confiscated it. And the student didn't get it back. It was turned over to administration, and the only way they'd part with it is if a parent came in to claim it. You'd be amazed at how many phones they had left at the end of the school year.
snowflake theme
Dec 1, 2018 5:39am
Thread
Snowflake Theme is one of my absolute favorites!
Started the day with a smile.
Re: snowflake theme
Reply to: #968944 by SherlockMiles
Dec 1, 2018 7:04am
Thread
I searched for the theme after logging in and couldn't find a snowflake theme. Does anyone know what its official name is?
Reply to: #968945 by condo
Dec 1, 2018 7:11am
Thread
It's the "winter solstice" theme. You could just remove the theme you set in your preferences to see the defaults that everyone else sees too. (You can always add it back later!)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968946 by Green Tortuga
Dec 1, 2018 7:39am
Thread
thanks!
Reply to: #968944 by SherlockMiles
Dec 1, 2018 8:38am
Thread
I like the artistic snowflakes...but... anybody want the millions of them piling up on my vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk and roads this morning?
Reply to: #968948 by 7rxc
Dec 1, 2018 9:26am
Thread
anybody want the millions of them piling up on my vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk and roads this morning?

I think it would be AWESOME to watch millions of snowflakes pile up on YOUR vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk, and roads this morning!

It would be pretty neat to see that here in Texas as well, but probably a lot less likely.
What happened to Boxradar?
Dec 2, 2018 9:40am
Thread
Anyone know what happened to Box Radar? It seems the app just disappeared.
Re: What happened to Boxradar?
Reply to: #968981 by SpitFire
Dec 2, 2018 9:47am
Thread
Just found the group. Yep, it is really gone. Thank you Aphid for creating it in the first place. Sorry to see it gone. :(
Reply to: #968982 by SpitFire
Dec 3, 2018 5:47am
Thread
I use clue tracker. You should try that!
Reply to: #969003 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 3, 2018 9:59am
Thread
I use clue tracker. You should try that!

That depends on the device . . . I believe Boxradar was created for androids, while ClueTracker is an iPhone app.
Dec 3, 2018 10:57am
Thread
When you say it disappeared, do you mean that it disappeared off the Google Play store, or off your device? I checked my phone after you posted this and see that Boxradar is still on my phone, and appears to still work (at least as much as it has worked lately).
Reply to: #969003 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 3, 2018 11:11am
Thread
I have an Android, Clue Tracker is not available for Androids !!! :(
Dec 3, 2018 11:16am
Thread
I have a Samsung and Box Radar worked somewhat, OK enough that I kept it but when I brought a new phone it did not transfer along with my other apps to the new phone. :(

Went to my Play Store to download it again and it wasn't there anymore.

The Here button on AQ is a little helpful but nothing like Box Radar was.

I really really miss not having it. :(
Reply to: #969012 by Bon Echo
Dec 3, 2018 11:24am
Thread
Mine was at least coming on still in November but now it immediately stops. Very sad as I only have a droid so can't switch to clue tracker:(
Android Users Looking for Box Radar Replacement
Dec 3, 2018 2:15pm
Thread
Attention Android Users!

Please contact me about possibly testing a Box Radar replacement.

If you have used Box Radar a significant amount and are interested in testing a new Android-based Letterboxing app and will be able to do a significant amount of testing, please contact me. The authors are looking for about 5 people to do the testing.

I can tell you that it is an AWESOME app!!

Lynn
Re: Android Users Looking for Box Radar Replacement
Reply to: #969027 by Phoenix Rizing
Dec 3, 2018 3:02pm
Thread
I'd LOVE to use a new Box Radar app! My daughter's baby is due this week so I am sticking close to home, so I can't volunteer to test it-but I sure would like an update on it, and info on how to get it if it checks out!
Dec 3, 2018 3:43pm
Thread
what do you consider to be "a significant amount of testing"? what does that look like? Actually using it while on the hunt, or just checking for nearby boxes and comparing that to what shows up on an AQ search?
I'd like to help, but probably won't be out looking for too many boxes in the next couple months.
Dec 3, 2018 6:36pm
Thread
I'm in. I would be happy to test. I used Box Radar all the time. ONe of my favorite features was that it showed boxes from both websites on one combined map/list view.