A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Live & Breathe Complaint Dept.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #967695 by Wry Me
Nov 1, 2018 9:35pm
Thread
I'll complain about whatever it is that bit me and finally had me at the urgent care for a steroid shot on Sunday, missing out on valuable boxing time! I messed with Texas and Texas fought back. :D
Reply to: #967695 by Wry Me
Nov 2, 2018 6:57am
Thread
You should have kept mine ***729!!! you had both in your possession and made the decision on which one of us got which ticket!!!

Enjoying my door prize!
NLW
Reply to: #967766 by NLW
Nov 2, 2018 10:23am
Thread
You should have kept mine ***729!!! you had both in your possession and made the decision on which one of us got which ticket!!!

Enjoying my door prize!
NLW

Nope. OS wrote your NAME on there. I was gonna hedge my bets and wait until they called one of them the winner, then say, "Oh, by the way, I have your ticket!" and then accidentally "notice" that MINE was the winner, then make a grand gesture to offer to trade, which you would refuse, being the better person, but all was thwarted.
Reply to: #967710 by BinoBoxer
Nov 2, 2018 10:42am
Thread
The common myth on how to get rid of them is to cover the bite area with nail polish and then the chigger will die. I don't know if that really works but I still do it sometimes. It will take about 2 weeks for it to die by your immune system. They do suck!

powder your shoes in sulfur or get a chigger repellent...
Reply to: #967797 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Nov 2, 2018 11:23am
Thread
They feed &/or fall off pretty quickly. They don't actually dig in to feed like a flea or tick. The problem is they leave a little hardened tube in your skin, through which they secret a saliva that dissolves the tissue. Then they slurp it up. They can take a long time to get a good grip and start in on you, and they are knocked off easily. Showering or scratching gets them off easily. Best prevention is DEET on your FEET and a shower after being outside.

For me, getting hydrocortisone on it up to 4 times a day while it is still a tiny little bump and before it starts itching (if possible) helps prevent the welt and most of the itching. Once I scratch it, I'm toast.
Reply to: #967712 by 360 Degrees of Nowhere
Nov 3, 2018 3:13am
Thread
A finder indeed, one worthy of many gifts after recent Event. Open Space may determine next uses. Go forth with purpose.

360°
Letterboxing History of Your State
Nov 3, 2018 6:31am
Thread
After reading the stories in the clues of my TX Letterboxing History Series, several people have expressed interest in capturing their own state letterboxing history but didn't know how to go about it. I think it would be great if every state (or region) would do this so we can preserve the fun of past boxers and have a written record for future boxers to read. Here are some tips to help you get started.

First, it helps if you have been letterboxing for several years so that you are familiar with some of the stories and history of your state. Even so, there will be many details and dates you can't remember, so researching is mandatory. If possible you should talk with anyone who was letterboxing before you and compile an outline of major occurrences then and during your letterboxing history. Things like the first letterbox placed in your state, interesting stories around boxes placed or found, funny stories that still get talked about. Basically, anything that stands out from your state's past. Then, start digging through the Letterboxing North America - LBNA Yahoo Group for conversations with details of these stories. This can be daunting so it will help if you have a rough idea of the dates to search. If your state or region has its own Yahoo Group (e.g. Letterboxing in TX, Letterbox Great Lakes, etc), that is even better, but it probably won't contain information from before around 2003 since many weren't created until then. You can also look in AQ forums, but that won't have anything before around 2004.

Once you have all the information, write it up in chronological order and save it in files, hopefully in a place everyone can read it. If you want to make a letterbox series out of it, the challenge will be to reduce each story to a few lines of text to keep it from being too verbose, and picking stamp images that makes sense for each story.

Several years ago I researched some of the history of the entire U.S. and put one file on the Letterboxing North America - LBNA Yahoo Group in the Files section titled: lb_memories-fun_on_the_forum.docx. You can read this (along with the actual posts I have linked in the file) if you are a member of the Group, which is easy to join:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/letterbox-usa/files/Letterboxing%20Memories/

Good luck, and I hope to read about your state's letterboxing history some time in the future.

Silver Eagle
Re: Letterboxing History of Your State
Reply to: #967856 by Silver Eagle
Nov 3, 2018 9:00am
Thread
That document is hilarious! And, I have to admit, somewhat surprising, because there were quite a few details I didn't know about. For instance, how did I miss the Bush and Kerry interviews?! Those seem like something I'd remember, but I had absolutely no recollection of them.

I do have fond memories of Investigator Bacon, however. *nodding* What ever happened to him? Did he retire or have letterboxers become a reputable bunch that no longer need to be investigated?

Does he run background checks? I'd like to know what he could dig up about Wassa. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #967867 by Green Tortuga
Nov 3, 2018 11:03am
Thread
there were quite a few details I didn't know about

Rats!! I was thinking that this would be easy peasy for Washington, because we have the “resident expert” in our midst. I guess, maybe not so much. :-)
Reply to: #967797 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Nov 3, 2018 1:03pm
Thread
The very first time I got chiggers I did the nail polish thing. I scratched the nail polish off less than an hour later. I think the idea is you suffocate them but by the time they itch they're not even in there anymore.

Anti-itch cream or spray and waiting it out a few days is all I end up doing when I get them. They're like annoying little "Rewards" for getting to be outside in good weather :)
Reply to: #967869 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 3, 2018 3:22pm
Thread
I was thinking that this would be easy peasy for Washington, because we have the “resident expert” in our midst.

Well, to be fair, I lived in Oregon in my early days of letterboxing. Amanda might have more (and better) stories than I do. I did get the first letterbox planted in Washington, though. *nodding* And I did organize the first letterboxing gathering in Washington (at least I'm not aware of any others before this particular one)--and showed up about an hour late for my own event! Oops.... Got distracted with letterboxing and traffic was worse than I expected coming back....

There's a story in there somewhere. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #967849 by 360 Degrees of Nowhere
Nov 5, 2018 7:29am
Thread
Thank you for the generous gift!
Reply to: #967742 by Origami Hen
Nov 5, 2018 11:44am
Thread
"The songs played by the bluesy night boxing letterboxes were too short. Just when you got into the groove and started boogeying, the music would stop, and you'd have to shine your flashlight into the box again, which was very annoying. Lame."

You WERE my new BFF but after outing me like this...well lets just say i might, might being the operative, invite you to my next slumber party. ;)

deniserows
and fights with pillows
U attamassaw ?
Nov 5, 2018 12:32pm
Thread
REALLY ! 12 year anniversary!. No plants, finds,etc. Messages only! What kind of boxer is that?.
Re: U attamassaw ?
Reply to: #967960 by KatieKat
Nov 5, 2018 1:09pm
Thread
That’s what happens to boxers related to those full of s***
Reply to: #967960 by KatieKat
Nov 5, 2018 1:53pm
Thread
No plants, finds,etc. Messages only! What kind of boxer is that?

Such distractions would only steer my focus away from my true raison d'être... bringing about the downfall of that moosey miscreant, that rude ruminant, that uninformed oft-scorned lowborn palm-horn.

Such is his vileness and turpitude that I can not, WILL not, engage in other more wholesome and life-affirming activities until his evil reign has been staunched and riven from the annals (sp?) of AQ.

My sacrifice is for the greater good.
Reply to: #967963 by u attamassaw
Nov 5, 2018 2:13pm
Thread
I like goat cheese
Nov 5, 2018 2:53pm
Thread
WhAt does fearless colon have to say on the subject
Nov 5, 2018 3:43pm
Thread
Wait, you can spell raison d'être, ruminant, turpitude and staunched - riven even! - but you aren’t sure about annals?

Luddite!
Reply to: #967969 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 5, 2018 4:02pm
Thread
What the hell is going on in this whole thread? Lol
Reply to: #967970 by Neoterra
Nov 5, 2018 4:10pm
Thread
What the hell is going on in this whole thread? Lol

With AQ maturity (or not) will come greater understanding young grasshopper
Reply to: #967969 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 5, 2018 5:32pm
Thread
Wait, you can spell raison d'être, ruminant, turpitude and staunched - riven even! - but you aren’t sure about annals?

Well, being a little “bass ackwards”, he was probably worried he might have gotten a bit ... turned around.
Games Series
Nov 5, 2018 7:42pm
Thread
A few people at Live & Breathe told me they liked my game letterboxes, mainly the Hangman games, but were surprised when I told them I have many other games all across the country and beyond. They asked how to access the clues, but since I can't remember who all asked, I will just specify it here:

https://sileagle.webs.com/games.htm

This is the game series page on my letterbox website and it contains links to all the clues on LBNA. You can also get to this page by clicking the game link on any clue page.

Since I recently mentioned looking up the history of letterboxing in Texas and the US, you might be interested in the two games of Life that contain real letterboxers and life events that actually happened. Enjoy!

Silver Eagle
Re: Games Series
Reply to: #967982 by Silver Eagle
Nov 5, 2018 7:51pm
Thread
Awesome! Just added it to my custom menu on AQ. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 5, 2018 8:01pm
Thread
So, does Letterboxing.org just allow you to add any Javascript you want into your clue page?
Reply to: #967984 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 5, 2018 8:21pm
Thread
Pretty much, but I had to tweak it to make it work within LBNA. Also, since I'm not using graphic images to represent dice or some of the other things (I didn't want anything referenced outside LBNA in case it went away like my old Geocities website did), I have to use pixel positioning for dots, arrows, etc., and that can look different on different browsers. Also, sometimes when Choi makes changes to LBNA it messes up the positioning so I have to redo them. It can be challenging, but it is worth it since I can make clues harder for muggles to see if they don't want to take the time to solve the game.

Silver Eagle
P.S. I taught myself Javascript to be able to do this, so the programming might not be the best, but they work.
Nov 5, 2018 9:22pm
Thread
We’ve always enjoyed these fun puzzles. Very creative.

You’ve actually inspired us to do something similar ourselves. (We just need to find the right spot to plant it)
Reply to: #967971 by Baqash
Nov 5, 2018 9:42pm
Thread
I'll stick with lack of maturity 😅. Think I'm pulling it all together lol
Reply to: #967962 by Baqash
Nov 6, 2018 6:27am
Thread
“No plants, finds,etc. Messages only! What kind of boxer is that?”