A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: What means cowbirded?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #959862 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 5, 2018 10:56am
Thread
Cowbirds are brood parasites, who lay their eggs in nests made by other bird species. Those other birds raise them not knowing the hatched cowbirds aren't their own offspring. I'd guess "cowbirding" a box means some boxers put their stamp and log into another boxer's letterbox, as a cowbird would lay an egg in some other bird's nest.
Reply to: #959863 by jayanjas
May 5, 2018 11:02am
Thread
Maybe it's a hitchhiker?
Reply to: #959863 by jayanjas
May 5, 2018 11:37am
Thread
That makes sense. At one time, I carried around a stamp that simply read "REPLACEMENT STAMP" just in case I ran across a box in which the stamp was missing or destroyed. However, having actually replaced a stamp in someone else's box once, it became apparent that this level of maintenance may not be welcome. So, while I agree that "cowbirding" should be added to the glossary, I think it should be noted that this is not a recommended activity.
Reply to: #959866 by Kirbert
May 5, 2018 1:30pm
Thread
became apparent that this level of maintenance may not be welcome.

Though who wouldn't make an exception for a master carver! Etiquette shmediquette, who's tossing a Kirbert stamp outta the box? Honestly
Re: Bonus box
Reply to: #959852 by Kelsung
May 5, 2018 5:28pm
Thread
"Appropriate" implies there are some kind of rules.

According to the AQ Letterboxing Glossary the definition of Bonus Box is "Similar to a regular letterbox, except that the clue is planted in another nearby letterbox." So what is the definition of "nearby" -- 10 feet, 100 ft, 5 miles???
Reply to: #959840 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 5, 2018 5:46pm
Thread
As long as someone can still remember something simple

God love my new husband. I have memory issues and will sometimes forget what I am talking about mid-sentence.

Remember the clues to the bonus box? Ahahahahahahahaha!

Warrior Woman
swiss cheese for brains
Reply to: #959876 by Elle
May 5, 2018 7:39pm
Thread
That's the whole point. A definition in the AQ glossary is a commonly accepted guideline, not a concrete definition. YOUR definition of "nearby" is entirely up to you and what you expect of your audience. The fact that you're asking implies you have a desire to plant a bonus further away from the parent box than you think would be considered nearby by some standards.

So the real question is, what is more important to you? Is the location you want to put the bonus box important enough to the experience you intend to give someone that you would accept that some players will be unwilling to go that extra distance? Or is it more important to you that the bonus have a large enough audience that you are willing to move it closer to the parent box to insure it is found more often?

K
Reply to: #959881 by Kelsung
May 5, 2018 7:43pm
Thread
The fact that you're asking implies you have a desire to plant a bonus further away from the parent box than you think would be considered nearby by some standards.

Actually it is just the opposite. I found the clues to one that was a long way from the parent box and to get to it would definitely be a long drive out of my way to get it. Seems the whole point of a bonus would be for the box to be near the parent box.
Reply to: #959883 by Elle
May 5, 2018 8:09pm
Thread
The point of a bonus is to give people an additional experience. But, as always, not every box is for every boxer.

I've violated the definition of a "series" as well. I have four boxes listed together under one set of clues, with about 50-60 miles between each box. From the first to the fourth is about 170 miles. And each contains one-fourth of a stamp that assembles into a single image that is the necessary information for yet another box.

Again, it's the endless discussion of quality versus quantity. Many planters can give very reasonable and intelligent arguments for the quantity of finders being the important factor, and I am sometimes in that camp with certain plants. But I am far more often motivated by giving an experience that few will be willing to embark upon, but those who do are duly rewarded. If all I cared about were more finds, I'd plant geocaches.

K
Reply to: #959883 by Elle
May 5, 2018 8:19pm
Thread
Seems the whole point of a bonus would be for the box to be near the parent box.

I'm thinking that's true for 99% of bonus boxes. But for some bonus boxes the bonus is being in on the secret of how to get the box even if one doesn't have the time, inclination or ability to get instant gratification. One of my bonus boxes, for example, requires a person to climb a mountain after making an easy find at the base. Very few have made that climb but I like to think every time those who know the bonus clue see that mountain they think to themselves "Someday"
Reply to: #959870 by dingus dufus
May 5, 2018 8:34pm
Thread
Etiquette shmediquette

Speaking of adding things to the glossary...
Reply to: #959876 by Elle
May 6, 2018 2:18am
Thread
So what is the definition of "nearby" -- 10 feet, 100 ft, 5 miles???

I've mentioned before that, for one of my airport boxes intended to be found by Cessna, a bonus box could be at another airport in the next county! As long as you're out for a $100 hamburger anyway, might as well get in another landing.
Reply to: #959877 by Warrior Woman
May 6, 2018 2:21am
Thread
I have memory issues and will sometimes forget what I am talking about mid-sentence.

In your case, you should snap a pic of the bonus box clue with your smartphone.
Reply to: #959891 by Kirbert
May 6, 2018 6:44am
Thread
That would be helpful for many of us. 8~P
Reply to: #959891 by Kirbert
May 7, 2018 11:52am
Thread
you should snap a pic of the bonus box clue with your smartphone

Clue Tracker has this feature -- which is very handy! In addition to bonus clues, I also like to snap a photo of the trail map.
Reply to: #959921 by MichKathy
May 7, 2018 1:14pm
Thread
We have found a box that has a bonus box 100 miles apart. We found both, on vacation for first box and bonus was closer to our home.
Reply to: #959921 by MichKathy
May 9, 2018 5:01pm
Thread
Clue Tracker has a camera of some sort to snap a pic? A notepad to jot down a clue?
Thanks Ryan!
May 9, 2018 9:52pm
Recently I went L'boxing at Panola Mountain State Park in Stockbridge, GA. As I was starting to cross a bridge I heard the rustling of leaves. As I glanced down fully expecting to see a squirrel I was surprised to see an armadillo. It reminded me of the old fashioned toys that is on wheels and goes along tell it meets an obstacle, backs up slightly and then goes forward again. It was so fascinating as I had never seen one in the wild. So thanks Ryan, for providing a platform for this wonderful obsce... oops, hobby, so we can see sights and find places we would have never found on our own.
Reply to: #959993 by Sunia
May 10, 2018 6:36am
Thread
Clue Tracker has a camera of some sort to snap a pic? A notepad to jot down a clue?

When you are looking at clues in Clue Tracker, save it (tap the backpack icon). Then a camera icon will appear and you can snap photos of trail maps and bonus box clues.

If a box is saved, you can also tap Edit and add some personal notes which is useful when there are clues with puzzles or questions you need to answer along the way. These notes are not saved back to AQ but notes from AQ are viewable from within Clue Tracker.
Re: Box replaced by Munzee QR sticker
Reply to: #959795 by BrockBrood
May 10, 2018 5:13pm
Thread
I’ve planted a series of boxes using Munzee. The lb clue puts you in a certain area and you find the pouches using the Munzee app.

Jiffy
Re: Box replaced by Munzee QR sticker
Reply to: #960012 by Jiffy
May 10, 2018 7:26pm
Thread
The lb clue puts you in a certain area and you find the pouches using the Munzee app.

You know, QR codes can do more than just store munzee information. They can hold any type of information, including text (think clue). I've got QR Code Reader on my phone so that I can see what actual information is stored on QR codes I find in some places. I've even thought of making a letterbox clue using a QR code.
Carves
May 13, 2018 4:50pm
Thread
Hello everyone, I’ve been letterboxing for 2 years now and despite trying my very best. I can not carve! 😳 Ugg. I’d really like to surprise my friend who has tried a very long time to have a baby .. and SURPRISE she’s pregnant. Anyway I’d like to surprise her with a letterbox.. is there anyone out there that would be willing to carve a rainbow with a cloud???
I’m momof5girlZ. Ty everyone
Re: Carves
Reply to: #960098 by momof5girlZ
May 13, 2018 10:34pm
Thread
If someone else hasn't already offered, I'll be happy to do it for you. PM me.

Steven/DarkZen
Reply to: #960105 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 14, 2018 1:36pm
Thread
I love our community!
Reply to: #960114 by NLW
May 14, 2018 1:46pm
Thread
Wonderful carver. Take them up on their offer!
What makes an evemt good
May 14, 2018 5:48pm
Thread
Looking for feedback and ideas on what makes a letter boxing event good in your opinion . I held and event a year ago with another boxer and it was our first event so We kept it small and simple. I would like to host another event ( even if the boxing friend only wants to attend :-) ) I would like to host another event in the future sometime ( not sure when ) and would love to hear ideas about what makes an event good for you-is it the stamps? Door prizes? Food? Etc. and whatever it is will you elaborate on what those things were ( for instance we had hotdogs and hamburgers or door prizes consisted of ink pads and log books etc.)
Have you attended a camp out letterboxing event and how did that go? That’s another idea I have deep in my brain for the future .... I think at some point that would be a fun one !
Reply to: #960115 by Teacup
May 14, 2018 5:54pm
Thread
Agree !!!! Great carver !
Re: What makes an evemt good
Reply to: #960126 by brailleboxer
May 14, 2018 6:31pm
Thread
what makes a letter boxing event good?

Okay, I'll start off. Reflecting on events I've been to over the years, definitely what it comes down to is the people. That's what I remember most. Trading war stories with old friends and meeting new people with whom you instantly have a bond because they share your crazy obsession. Of course you want to have boxes to find, with or without a theme, and maybe some puzzle clues (but it's easy to go overboard with those), but mainly you want a good mix of people. Door prizes and food are way down on my list.
Reply to: #960130 by Dawnkey
May 15, 2018 3:56am
Thread
For me it is definitely the people, and the ability to participate OR not in various activities.

I have been to events where I have spent hours on he trails with just one or two other people and I have been to events where I never left the picnic pavilion because I was too busy catching up and meeting new folk.

An event box is important, even for a small event.

Everything else is "icing" for me.

I do want to say, just like not all letterboxes are for every letter boxer, not all events are for everyone. And that's ok. I personally like events that either simple or offer the opportunity to participate at different levels. Sometimes, I choose not to attend events due to themes or activities. Specifically, scary events. I get super anxious at anything involving frights, so avoid those. Others LOVE them...takes all kinds!
Reply to: #960126 by brailleboxer
May 15, 2018 4:32am
Thread
I have to say the same thing. Being with my friends, meeting new friends, linking up with people I have only talked with online or seen their signature stamps all around me. So sounds like the most important thing is a comfortable place to hang out.