Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Safari vs Chrome - Logging Finds
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #959666 by MissMoon
May 1, 2018 7:55am
Thread
As Ryan has mentioned,

you should still be able to type in a date, but type it in the format of YYYY-MM-DD.

This works when I am on my Apple laptop using Safari. My iPad has a scrolling feature (choose Month, day, year).

I usually use Chrome these days.
Reply to: #959682 by Sunia
May 1, 2018 8:34am
Thread
Uh oh, can you see I am typing in my pajamas?

Yes, and also when you aren't typing in your pajamas šŸ˜‰
Reply to: #959690 by JampersandJ
May 1, 2018 9:58am
Thread
This works when I am on my Apple laptop using Safari. My iPad has a scrolling feature (choose Month, day, year).

Like I said, older versions of browsers won't have the scrolling features. All of the newest browsers--including Safari--should support it. You might check if you can upgrade your browser on your Apple laptop to something newer because newer browsers are just better in general.

But if all else fails and you can't upgrade for some reason, they should still work. It's just not as pretty! But it is important to write the date in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Americans probably try to write the date like MM-DD-YYYY (or something similar like MM/DD/YYYY) while the rest of the world writes them like DD-MM-YYYY, but computers like YYYY-MM-DD. You'll likely get an invalid date error if you try to use a different format.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #959695 by Green Tortuga
May 1, 2018 12:50pm
Thread
I was just testing it out for MM since she asked if others were having problems. Chrome is my Preferred browser when Iā€™m using my Apple Laptop.
Reply to: #959670 by Green Tortuga
May 1, 2018 2:57pm
Thread
Safari - Version 11.1 (11605.1.33.1.3)

I *think* this is the most recent version but I'm not sure. I've been logging a lot of finds with no issues until yesterday. But I am always logging on the same day as the find, when I get home so the current date was there. I had to make a correction yesterday so discovered the issue.

I guess I'll just use Chrome to log finds.
Reply to: #959671 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 1, 2018 3:10pm
Thread
I BElieve I downloaded Chrome because there was some other AQ issue regarding Safari. I don't remember what it was.

Not all of us worship at the Chrome Throne. Simple as that. They are both good browsers. I prefer Safari. Other than the issues I have encountered on AQ with regard to Safari I have no problems with it and like it. Simple as that.
Reply to: #959682 by Sunia
May 1, 2018 5:17pm
Thread
Uh oh, can you see I am typing in my pajamas?

Oooh, I love the bunny print!
3 Shout outs, Hip Hip Hooray!
May 2, 2018 9:45pm
We truly have a wonderful community. In the past week, I have received amazing gifts from 3 boxers. Squirrel Nutkin generously sent many LTCs she knew I would enjoy, some dating back as far as 2010!

Warrior Woman bought me a Staedtler tool, my first. That's amazing.

And Lovebirds- NC sent me a big box of Lock n Locks, plus some logs and animal LTCs. I plan to use 4 of the boxes for upcoming PAL day, if I can get things ready in time...it's coming up so soon. Today I had my 5th grade class submit some ideas for a stamp I will carve, to match the Peanut M&M log. The weather is finally nice enough to introduce the girls to boxing.

Thanks all!

Our world is a pretty nice place, with people so kind and thoughtful.
Box replaced by Munzee QR sticker
May 3, 2018 4:58am
Thread
I headed out yesterday on a short boxing trip and hit a rest area to grab a couple of boxes. They were both in guard rails so, as I always do, I put my iPhone in the end to take a picture to make sure there wasn't anything calling the spot home before I stuck my hand in.

The box was missing but there was a QR code sticker that seemed to be replacing the box. This was my first time running into this. There's no way to know for sure but the sticker was in the same location as the box should have been. It's like they pulled the box to put in the sticker. Has anyone seen one of these before?
Re: Box replaced by Munzee QR sticker
Reply to: #959758 by wvelliotts
May 3, 2018 6:28pm
Thread
I play munzee also, but have never encountered munzee and letterboxing in the same spot. I might be able to track down the owner of the munzee and ask about the box if you could give me an exact location.
Reply to: #959795 by BrockBrood
May 3, 2018 7:21pm
Thread
I play munzee also, but have never encountered munzee and letterboxing in the same spot.

Well, you haven't encountered Munzee Letterbox, but this is a combination that is out there.

I might be able to track down the owner of the munzee and ask about the box if you could give me an exact location.

Good place to start.
Reply to: #959797 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 3, 2018 9:01pm
Thread
What an awesome box! I just might try to find that one on my next trip through Salt Lake. Thanks!
Bonus box
May 4, 2018 4:29am
Thread
What is the farthest you have placed a bonus box from the parent box? Is there a limit to how far is considered appropriate?
Re: Bonus box
Reply to: #959805 by Elle
May 4, 2018 4:36am
Thread
What is the farthest you have placed a bonus box from the parent box?

My farthest was about a quarter of a mile away from the parent but it was on the trail that had to be taken to get back to the car. The bonus box is fairly close to the parking area so if someone wanted to continue hiking and not return the same way they came or they came in from another route, they would only have a slight detour to get the bonus from the parent box's recommended parking area.
Reply to: #959806 by Janila
May 4, 2018 4:55am
Thread
I found a box in Weston and the bonus, (other half of the stamp) was in Wallingford.
Reply to: #959806 by Janila
May 4, 2018 6:08am
Thread
My farthest was about a quarter of a mile away from the parent but it was on the trail that had to be taken to get back to the car.

I have one about half of a mile from the parent box, but is on the same dead end road as the trailhead to go for the box.
May 4, 2018 8:04am
Thread
I've got two bonus boxes off of an international plant.....the plant is easy to reach, the bonus boxes take some effort with the farthest one being about 3 miles away.......
Reply to: #959795 by BrockBrood
May 4, 2018 10:24am
Thread
I have a couple of letterbox plants that have gained Munzee stickers. But my boxes are still in play.
Reply to: #959807 by cooledcoyote
May 4, 2018 1:38pm
Thread
ouch
May 4, 2018 3:24pm
Thread
I've got one bonus box that's a couple miles from the main. However, it's a couple miles to the main, so finders are prepared to walk. And the clue to the bb is really simple, no need to write it down.
Reply to: #959835 by Kirbert
May 4, 2018 4:17pm
Thread
And the clue to the bb is really simple, no need to write it down.

As long as someone can still remember something simple after miles of walking. After all, There will be plenty of beautiful scenery and . . . SQUIRREL!!!
Reply to: #959712 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 4, 2018 4:52pm
Thread
Funny! I didn't see these follow-ups to my comment, since my membership ran out. [Now notifications of responses are only for members.] Great image. Thanks.
May 5, 2018 1:23am
Thread
"Appropriate" implies there are some kind of rules.

I planted a box in Michigan. The clues to find it were divided into six pieces that could be found inside six boxes in California.

Two finds in five years.

K
Reply to: #959852 by Kelsung
May 5, 2018 8:42am
Thread
I planted a box in Michigan. The clues to find it were divided into six pieces that could be found inside six boxes in California.

Nhow zhat ist trvuely Eevil!
What means cowbirded?
May 5, 2018 10:39am
Thread
I was reading the clue to a box we plan on visiting soon and the last log entry read, "Since the stamp was missing and only moldy old bits remained we "cowbirded" this box."

Anyone know what that means? It wasn't in the glossary (if it's a common term, maybe it should be).
Re: What means cowbirded?
Reply to: #959862 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 5, 2018 10:56am
Thread
Cowbirds are brood parasites, who lay their eggs in nests made by other bird species. Those other birds raise them not knowing the hatched cowbirds aren't their own offspring. I'd guess "cowbirding" a box means some boxers put their stamp and log into another boxer's letterbox, as a cowbird would lay an egg in some other bird's nest.
Reply to: #959863 by jayanjas
May 5, 2018 11:02am
Thread
Maybe it's a hitchhiker?
Reply to: #959863 by jayanjas
May 5, 2018 11:37am
Thread
That makes sense. At one time, I carried around a stamp that simply read "REPLACEMENT STAMP" just in case I ran across a box in which the stamp was missing or destroyed. However, having actually replaced a stamp in someone else's box once, it became apparent that this level of maintenance may not be welcome. So, while I agree that "cowbirding" should be added to the glossary, I think it should be noted that this is not a recommended activity.
Reply to: #959866 by Kirbert
May 5, 2018 1:30pm
Thread
became apparent that this level of maintenance may not be welcome.

Though who wouldn't make an exception for a master carver! Etiquette shmediquette, who's tossing a Kirbert stamp outta the box? Honestly
Reply to: #959852 by Kelsung
May 5, 2018 5:28pm
Thread
"Appropriate" implies there are some kind of rules.

According to the AQ Letterboxing Glossary the definition of Bonus Box is "Similar to a regular letterbox, except that the clue is planted in another nearby letterbox." So what is the definition of "nearby" -- 10 feet, 100 ft, 5 miles???