Thread
I'm totally all in! =)

I think you just might be totally all out at this one
Re: Upcoming Event in New England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #943753 by SantaClaus
Apr 1, 2017 9:37am
Thread
Just very relieved Santa that you decided to not hold this event right after Christmas, though there could still be swimming in May

;)
Re: Upcoming Event in New England
Reply to: #943793 by Southpaw
Apr 1, 2017 2:03pm
Thread
wow .. didn't know you swung that way. but I'm coming back east for this one. wiener and all
Afternoon in the Slammer
Apr 1, 2017 2:47pm
Thread
Well, as it turns out, you need to be aware of local and State laws in regard to public nudity.

I just got home after spending the afternoon at the local Police Station.

I'll never live this down as long as I live . . . nor, will the traumatized people who saw me, out live their disgust.

hx6
Letterboxers' Egg Hunt 2017
Apr 1, 2017 4:17pm
Thread
THANK YOU thank you thank you! To Warrior Woman and Not a Lone Wolf Anymore for hosting a super fun event today!! We had a really great time finding all of the 'eggs' - and especially loved the variety of carves from boxers from all over. Rain and snow could not dampen the fun.

Those of you attending on Sunday are really going to enjoy the event.

We're very excited that this is going to be an annual shindig!!

(If there is any biscotti left, be sure to try the orange chip ones! YUMMY)
Re: Afternoon in the Slammer
Reply to: #943831 by Hart x6
Apr 1, 2017 4:33pm
Thread
I just got home after spending the afternoon at the local Police Station.

Naked Letterboxing Day is May 24th! Not today! You do it today and you're just asking to get arrested! *nodding*

-- Ryan
Re: Letterboxers' Egg Hunt 2017
Reply to: #943839 by SherlockMiles
Apr 1, 2017 5:18pm
Thread
Sunday???
Reply to: #943844 by MissMoon
Apr 1, 2017 5:49pm
Thread
It's a two day event.

Warrior Woman
likes to party
Re: 23 finds out of 23 searches!
Reply to: #943740 by Kirbert
Apr 1, 2017 8:31pm
Thread
I think 3 or 4 were list on both AQ and LBNA. One was a Wanda and Pete box that I'm not sure how I located the clue.

Old Blue
Re: 23 finds out of 23 searches!
Reply to: #943744 by THE RED CYCLONE
Apr 1, 2017 8:36pm
Thread
The good news was we were at a disc golf course so we got to play

Well that's cool!

Old Blue
Re: Afternoon in the Slammer
Reply to: #943842 by Green Tortuga
Apr 1, 2017 11:44pm
Thread
Okay I read this and said, "Not Hartx6!"
Hmmmm
It's almost April 2 now!
Hugs!
Reply to: #943845 by Warrior Woman
Apr 2, 2017 4:26pm
Thread
Thank you thank you thank you for the great event!

Can't wait until next year!

BB
Reply to: #943882 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 3, 2017 5:48am
Thread
Thank you!!
The event was wonderful. We had a great time and loved wandering your yard finding all the adorable stamps.

PuggleMOM
Magnets and stamps
Apr 3, 2017 9:02am
Thread
I've gotten several Letterboxes where it is just a stamp with a magnet on the back , what's the best way to glue the magnet on the back and do you have to prepare the surface first? ... assuming you use the super super super strong magnets
Re: Magnets and stamps
Reply to: #943927 by brailleboxer
Apr 3, 2017 10:06am
Thread
Well, I wouldn't use super super super strong magnets, I'd use the flat rubber magnets that hold things to your refrigerator. And I'd attach the rubber to them with carpet tape.

Or, just carve the rubber magnet itself.
Apr 3, 2017 10:20am
Thread
I just made a naked stamp. I use little silver circle magnets that get at the craft store. I carved away a little bit of the material under the magnet and attached the magnets with E6000 glue.
Apr 3, 2017 10:21am
Thread
I distress the back of the magnet a bit before gluing. I use gorilla glue. THEN I use duct tape around the edges as a secondary attachment to help keep the pink stuff and the magnet together. It's only been a year, but so far so good.
Reply to: #943934 by christmas6
Apr 3, 2017 10:23am
Thread
We cut into the rubber to make the magnet as flush as possible, we use round craft store magnets and super glue or 2 part epoxy. The one I hid today will have to withstand snow so we'll see how it does over time.
Apr 3, 2017 10:35am
Thread
I bought these ceramic magnets and they work well - good strength but not crazy like the neodymium type, which are too strong. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ITTFDM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These ceramic magnets are also much less expensive than neodymium.

For small stamps, I've glued the magnet directly to the stamp with Gorilla glue. For larger stamps, I use 6mm foam backing, cut out a hole the size of the magnet, put the magnet in, and Gorilla glue the foam/magnet backing to the stamp.
Reply to: #943936 by Public Hand
Apr 3, 2017 10:40am
Thread
I haven't found one of these style stamps yet... But this gives me so many more ideas now! Big question though... How do these hold up in the long run? Are they hidden behind or in something or do you let them be out and exposed to the elements?? Do the stamps harden or break down quickly??
Library Letterboxes
Apr 3, 2017 11:59am
Thread
I'm thinking of planting a letterbox at a local library.
What's the best way to tell/ask the librarians what letterboxing is and how it works and if I can plant a letterbox there?
Re: Library Letterboxes
Reply to: #943949 by Asteroid_Cat
Apr 3, 2017 12:17pm
Thread
We've planted over twenty library boxes - they are some of my favorites!
It helps if you have a box in hand. We used discarded books with no mold, and carved out the inside to form a cavity. If when talking about the hobby you emphasize the learning aspect - that the history of the library or of the area can be incorporated into the clues - that generally goes over well. I gave presentations to the public as well - sometimes connected with the Summer Reading Program (the first year I started, NY libraries' theme was "Get a Clue @ Your Library" - it was tailor made for us!).

Bring along your letterboxing kit, a logbook from a box with lots of comments and stamps from far-flung places, and a print out about the hobby (AQ probably has something you can use). I worked either with the director of the library, or with whomever was in charge of programming.

Most of the book/boxes have thrived in their libraries for eight years!
Good luck!
Rabbit Relations
Reply to: #943950 by Rabbit Relations
Apr 3, 2017 12:56pm
Thread
Thanks! That's super helpful.
Apr 3, 2017 1:47pm
Thread
You could print out some pf the clues for RR's boxes here in New York. I think that would be a good thing to do. Take a look at them. They are great clues.

If I remember correctly???.........almost none of their boxes are in the children's section of the libraries. I find boxes planted in the children's section to be very awkward for an adult with no kids. People tend to be somewhat leery of adults wandering around with no kid/s. Or maybe it's just me being self conscious.
Reply to: #943934 by christmas6
Apr 3, 2017 1:51pm
Thread
E6000 is the best glue I've found so far. I have a friend who sells crafts and she uses it.
Reply to: #943845 by Warrior Woman
Apr 3, 2017 1:52pm
Thread
It's a two day event.

Guess I missed that when I looked at the listing.
Apr 3, 2017 2:32pm
Thread
I have some library letterboxes. I first called to talk to the branch manager, then I met with her to show her what I was proposing. I brought a sample box, printed some examples of clues, my logbook, and my laptop to show her what AtlasQuest looked like. She did ask whether it would be disruptive to the library atmosphere, and I said no - it might bring in an extra person or two a month, and they will likely be quiet and unobtrusive, as they will be trying to be discrete...

After the manager got the gist of it, she was pretty excited and I asked for her input for a theme for the box. She suggested books made into movies, as the library building is an old renovated theatre. So I created a series of four boxes and hid them around the library. I didn't to the "hollow book" thing - I made pouches and stuck them on the undersides of the metal shelves with strong magnets.

The manager was actually so taken with the idea that she asked me to do a community event on letterboxing, which I did - that was fun too, and I had the attendees go find the boxes in the library as part of the event.

That box series has been going strong for awhile now - long may it last. I did also plant a box outside the library, just so folks who happen to stop by outside of library hours would have something to find too.

Good luck with your library boxes!
Reply to: #943953 by MissMoon
Apr 3, 2017 2:54pm
Thread
Aroostook Sleuth has a few library boxes all in kids sections. The librarian loves them. I'm holding my third library event this weekend and the librarians are almost more excited than we are and we are planting 75+ boxes in the library!
Reply to: #943959 by mudflinginfools
Apr 3, 2017 3:32pm
Thread
Yup, I saw that event listed. Looks really nice.

Maybe the librarian likes them but I just find that I feel self conscious being an adult with no child with me in the children's section, especially if there are kids there with their parents. Very often not everyone working at the library knows about the boxes, especially if they have been there for quite a while.

It's kind of the same thing as hanging around a playground looking for a box if you are an adult alone. You can get some weird looks.

It can just depend on the physical set up of the library, children's section, etc. I've reached the point where I can pretend to be a grandmother looking for a book for the wee ones. lol Old ladies tend to be less threatening. lol
Reply to: #943933 by Kirbert
Apr 3, 2017 3:39pm
Thread
Everything depends on where the container is going to be placed. The super strong magnets can work very well. Those flat rubber magnets are going to need a very smooth and clean surface and I wouldn't depend on carpet tape to last.

It just depends on where you are putting it.