A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Who is Planting in Winter?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #940218 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 7, 2017 11:10pm
Thread
In my area of Michigan (Flint), there isn't much snow. It is bitterly cold out there. I posted to friends in the south ('boxer and not) that they have more snow than up here due to a recent storm.

However, I have found and planted boxes in the snow and in the freezing cold. A thermos of water might assist in finding boxes. Some have used crowbars. Some planters hide them in bushes or attach them to trees, so those require no tools. However, that particular box you are mentioning probably will not see too much snow.
Reply to: #940249 by MissMoon
Jan 7, 2017 11:14pm
Thread
I sometimes feel like the Old United States Postal Seevice commercials...neither wind, nor snow, nor...will keep me from Letterboxing!

Oh yeah, and while we're on that: shameless plug: PLP's Birthday Bash is coming up (y'all are invited!!! :) ) the last 2 years have been in the mid 30s! Almost bathing suit weather in New York State! ;)
Reply to: #940224 by Rocklun
Jan 8, 2017 3:21am
Thread
Poured Mountain Dew in the snow

How did I know that was Rocklun?
Reply to: #940265 by FloridaFour
Jan 8, 2017 4:03am
Thread
How did I know that was Rocklun

;^)
Reply to: #940224 by Rocklun
Jan 8, 2017 5:19am
Thread
Hilarious!
Re: Badly Explain Your Hobby
Reply to: #940085 by Munkeybee
Jan 8, 2017 8:09am
Thread
I like to draw complicated, interconnected boxes on paper, then fill them in with x's or checks, so that I can keep track of and tabulate lies into a single, larger, more coherent lie.
Reply to: #940254 by dingus dufus
Jan 8, 2017 11:32am
Thread
Yes, yes it is a letterboxer's doody

How did Wassa miss this?

Shiloh
Reply to: #940279 by shiloh
Jan 8, 2017 12:42pm
Thread
Yes, yes it is a letterboxer's doody

How did Wassa miss this?

Dignity. Always dignity.
Rubbermaid Lock Its?
Jan 8, 2017 2:38pm
Thread
Re: Rubbermaid Lock Its?
Reply to: #940293 by FloridaFour
Jan 8, 2017 2:59pm
Thread
I have used those, but all my plants are fairly recent. I'll try to check this week and see if my neighborhood box that has been out for over a year is in one, and if it is, I will report back.
Jan 8, 2017 4:02pm
Thread
Yes, I have! I believe they have all held up well (in Michigan).
Reply to: #940299 by Angel Winks
Jan 8, 2017 4:12pm
Thread
Good to know!
Reply to: #940295 by Rebiccola
Jan 8, 2017 4:12pm
Thread
Thanks, Rebiccola!
Jan 8, 2017 4:23pm
Thread
Yes we've used them and they haven't failed yet...

that I know of! : )
Reply to: #940282 by wassamatta u
Jan 8, 2017 8:59pm
Thread
Riiiiiiiight.

Shiloh
Detectorist gone bad
Jan 9, 2017 6:35am
Thread
Lance was so evil in last night's Sherlock.
Re: Detectorist gone bad
Reply to: #940317 by Wronghat
Jan 9, 2017 6:50am
Thread
Yes!! And those teeth!!

My husband said he must have found the Saxon treasure to be that rich.
Reply to: #940319 by Rocklun
Jan 9, 2017 7:53am
Thread
(Avoiding spoiling) But how am I to believe that Sherlock didn't recognize his own?
Reply to: #940322 by Wronghat
Jan 9, 2017 8:09am
Thread
I don't understand that, either. Perhaps we'll learn more next week.
Reply to: #940317 by Wronghat
Jan 9, 2017 8:29am
Thread
Very funny! We had just watched an episode with Lance, so having him appear on Sherlock was a bit surreal.
Re: Badly Explain Your Hobby
Reply to: #940274 by west dover quidditch team
Jan 9, 2017 8:41am
Thread
I like to sit quietly in a dark room with hundreds of strangers, staring at a flickering wall, bombarded on four sides by vibrations resonating against my tympanic membrane, all while consuming exploded parts of the cob drenched in ersatz churned cream and sodium powder.
Reply to: #940302 by FloridaFour
Jan 9, 2017 3:48pm
Thread
I managed to check on my box today. It is a Rubbermaid from that same set, and I planted it at the foot of a tree just over a year ago, in November 2015. It was dry inside the box, and everything was in good shape. The flaps are all still attached and functioning, but they did feel a little brittle in the below freezing temperatures this evening, and I was afraid they might snap off. But everything held. It's been through a good amount of snow, a lot of rain last spring, and a hot summer (although not as hot as Florida, so your mileage may vary).
Reply to: #940334 by Rebiccola
Jan 9, 2017 4:09pm
Thread
Thanks for the update! My experience in Florida is if I plant the box without adequate shade, the flaps snap off after about 1 to 2 years. But if there's some trees or a log of something for shade, they last a long time. I have one out there for 5 years in great shape. (In case anyone wants to know).
Free entrance days at National Parks
Jan 9, 2017 4:51pm
Thread
This was probably mentioned before, but I thought I'd mention (since a few days ago Kirbert mentioned the rate hike at the Everglades) that the National Parks have days they wave the entrance fees. One is coming up - Jan 16th, Martin Luther King Jr Day. Other days are listed here. :-)
Re: Free entrance days at National Parks
Reply to: #940336 by roo
Jan 9, 2017 5:48pm
Thread
And while we're on the topic, I thought I'd put in a plug for National Parks and National Historic Sites in Canada, which are FREE for the entire year - in celebration of Canada's 150th birthday.
You do not need a pass (although you can order one for free) - just show up at any national park or any participating national historic site (many are already free, but if it charges admission AND if it's run by Parks Canada then it will be free for 2017 - but some are run by other agencies and those will still be charging regular admission in 2017).

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx

Again, you do not need to order a pass - just show up and you will be granted free admission. There has been a lot of confusion about this and Parks Canada has confirmed such. Also, this is for Day Use admission ONLY - not for camping, not for tours, etc.

So why not plan a trip north of the border this year? PM me if you need any more info to help you plan your trip. I have my pass and also a brochure that lists all of the participating parks and NHS's (which does not appear to be online).
Gatlinburg Fire
Jan 9, 2017 7:16pm
Thread
Just wanted to let everyone know the hales angel family is ok. We hope to move back into our home this week. We got a new roof, new electric, heating unit and a new well house. We lost 47 trees on our property. The fire burnt right up to the house, but stopped there. We are so lucky. Everything has been repaired. They have cleaned and are painting the inside this week. The outside will be cleaned and painted as soon as the weather gets a little nicer. Thanks to all that voiced concerned. It's nice to know y'all have our backs.
Diana
Re: Gatlinburg Fire
Reply to: #940339 by Hale s Angel
Jan 9, 2017 10:00pm
Thread
That is wonderful news to hear HA! It's amazing how closed the fire was to your home and stopped. I'm sad to report that a few boxes on the Gatlinburg bypass including Safari Man's did not make it. Everything on both sides of the bypass was burnt. I will be retiring them and hope to get back again to check on other boxes around the area.
Jan 10, 2017 3:25am
Thread
Thankful you're safe and your home will be repaired soon. What a disaster. My heart broken. Love Gatlinburg so much and we had been thinking of going there this year. Maybe in spring...
Jan 10, 2017 4:19am
Thread
So glad to hear you are safe and everything is getting back to normal for you now that you are back home. There is nothing quite like being home.
Reply to: #940345 by scouttrekkie
Jan 10, 2017 7:53am
Thread
So glad we were able to find so many last summer that might be gone now....so sad that others won't be able to.