Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Reddit's Interested in Letterboxing.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #940050 by wassamatta u
Jan 4, 2017 11:20am
Thread
I dunno. There was that one time McDonalds ran their Letterboxing promotion a few years back.

But McDonald's Geocaching promo was a much larger success judging by all the Happy Meal trinkets found in my geotrashed letterboxes.
Reply to: #940050 by wassamatta u
Jan 4, 2017 11:37am
Thread
There was that one time McDonalds ran their Letterboxing promotion a few years back. Not sure what the web login statistics were, but I believe we added several thousand users that day!

Yes, that was probably the one-day record for new accounts. *nodding* Even the Reddit thing didn't come close to touching that record -- Ryan

What's so encouraging is McDs Wi-Fi will always connect me to Atlas Quest even when my ChromeBook can't get connected to any other internet site no matter what i google. That speaks well for AQ's technical accessibility. Overall Ryan has gone above and beyond making this site as user friendly *nodding* as Ryanly possible.
Reply to: #940055 by Bon Echo
Jan 4, 2017 3:26pm
Thread
Sure shows not many talking any more. Considering the 2008-2009 of long ago, wow, what a difference, and even as much as a couple of years ago, too. Looks to me like this hobby is losing interest, jmo....sad, that...
Reply to: #940069 by Okie Dog
Jan 4, 2017 3:35pm
Thread
Looks to me like this hobby is losing interest, jmo....sad, that...

Not necessarily--letterboxers from way back claim letterboxers and letterboxes had a special cachet just because they were so rare. One reason I can't get into geocaching is because there are so many geocaches--finding them is like finding a McDonalds.
Reply to: #940047 by Green Tortuga
Jan 4, 2017 5:25pm
Thread
Nobody ever reported any downtime either, so that's good. =)

Actually, AQ was just about unreachable for me on Monday afternoon and evening.
Badly Explain Your Hobby
Jan 4, 2017 6:46pm
Thread
I just saw this on facebook and thought I'd put it here to see what you can all come up with.

Badly explain your hobby.

For example, my friend is a writer and explained her hobby this way:
"I take a piece of plastic filled with ink and move it across thin, flat pieces of dead trees. The marks I make on the pieces of dead trees, when gazed upon by someone who has been taught to decipher their meaning, causes this person to hallucinate. The better I am at my hobby, the more vivid the person's hallucinations will be."

OK your turn...GO!
Re: Badly Explain Your Hobby
Reply to: #940085 by Munkeybee
Jan 4, 2017 6:54pm
Thread
Badly explain your hobby.

Geocaching: We use a trillion dollar government satellite system to hunt for McDonald's toys in the woods.

Letterboxing: We don't waste the government's money, but we do a lot of huffing and see strange images.
Reply to: #940083 by PI Joe
Jan 4, 2017 7:01pm
Thread
Actually, AQ was just about unreachable for me on Monday afternoon and evening.

On my calendar, yesterday was a Tuesday. Hmm.... I'll have to look into that....

-- Ryan
Jan 5, 2017 6:23am
Thread
I take fluffy stuff and fluff it up, then twirl it around with a stick so it's less fluffy but long and thin. Then I twirl it around some more in the other direction. Then I take a pair of magic wands and wave them around in the long thin stuff in just the right way and then I have a sweater (just in time for summer)!
Reply to: #940101 by Intrinsically Knotted
Jan 5, 2017 6:49am
Thread
Oh! I do those same things with fluff and sticks and magic wands!!

:O)
Jan 5, 2017 8:33am
Thread
I take perfectly lovely huge pieces of flat woven fluff, cut them up into small pieces of different shapes, reassemble them into a new pattern and then lash them together in intricate designs, creating two other lovely pieces of flat woven fluff separated by more fluff, the resulting product being smaller than the beginnings.
Reply to: #940103 by Homecraft
Jan 5, 2017 8:36am
Thread
Oh! I do those same things with fluff and sticks and magic wands!!

you're a magician!
I must be a conductor since I use just one stick which I wave around my fluffy stuff
GG
Re: Free hiking at state parks Jan 1
Reply to: #939931 by Kirbert
Jan 5, 2017 9:28am
Thread
I just read that the entrance fee for the Everglades went from $10 to $25 this year.
Jan 5, 2017 10:08am
Thread
I take sheets of paper and fold them in a series of complicated and difficult ways, and then I admire the results.
Jan 5, 2017 10:24am
Thread
I wake the dead.
Jan 5, 2017 11:01am
Thread
I deface rubber, then bury it in the woods.
Jan 5, 2017 2:15pm
Thread
I take perfectly good paper, tear it into ragged pieces, and make it into soup with water, and bits of lint, weeds, flowers and seeds added for flavor. After it turns to mush, I spread it out on a screen, and it becomes perfectly good paper . . . yet again.
Jan 5, 2017 4:55pm
Thread
I put a lot of effort trying to conceal the pink stuff that I've tortured with sharp objects.
Jan 5, 2017 7:47pm
Thread
I rub a sticky rock on hair that is attatched to a long stick. Then i pick up a fancy hollow box and put it under my chin. This box has wires fastened to it with little knobs. I run the stick with hair on the wires rhythmically to create noise. In front of me is a metal contraption holding papers at eye level. The papers contain lines, dots, and squiggles that tell my fingers to press on the wires. There's also a man waving a smaller stick. This magic stick controls me and others around me. Sometimes audiences sit quietly in the dark and watch as this all happens.
Jan 5, 2017 9:05pm
Thread
I push on pieces of dead animals that pushes on something else and something else and eventually hits a wire. This makes a noise that most people (except my brother ;) ) seem to enjoy. Sometimes these people open their mouths and make sounds that more-or-less match the sounds of the noises made by the strings.
Sometimes I hallucinate about different sounds and translate those sounds into squiggles an other shapes on weirdly lined pieces of paper. Other people, who have been trained in this language sometimes takes what I have scribbled and translates it for themselves.
Jan 6, 2017 6:30am
Thread
I strap a heavy aluminum cylinder filled with pressurized normalic nitrox onto my back with a ballistic nylon vest that I fill with lead weights, baby shampoo, and has multiple sharpened blades attached to it. I then don a pair of glasses that has a reflective coating and seals on my face, covering my nose, and stick a mouthpiece connected to multiple hoses into my mouth, upon which I bite down in an attempt to break it so I have to buy another one. I also strap big pieces of rubber and plastic onto my feet on top of had bottomed boots and waddle. I then either roll off or jump off a perfectly good and seaworthy boat into waters anywhere from 30-130 feet deep. Under that boat can be old growing delicate animals or sea going vessels that humans or nature felt was better suited to be under the water instead of floating on top.

I then sometimes am throw a large, thick wooden pole with big fat rubber bands on it and a long skinny pointy metal shaft attached to it so I can go look for aquatic animals that are tasty for human consumption.

Other times, I'm thrown a light gathering box in a clear plastic container so I can gather light underwater and revisit this light later on a foldable screen/spinning platter, wire, and electronic doodad combination.

Often times I find sand that's been melted down and reshaped into vessels that once carried carbonated hops, barley, yeast, and water mixtures. I bring that up back onto the boat since that sand isn't native to the area. I keep hoping to find sand that once held old distilled sugarcane juice.

I know I'm done with I'm almost out of the normalic nitrox and then have to come back up, but not too quickly, wait an hour, and then do it all again.
Jan 6, 2017 7:08am
Thread
My name is Steven and I have an addiction. I work really hard so I always have money to buy my chemicals of choice: A blend of alkane sulfonic acid phenyl ester, calcium carbonate, polyvinylchloride, zinc stearate and titanium dioxide (with a little pink pigment thrown in for giggles).

Like an alchemist I change this concoction into something else - some would call it art - by hacking at it with a knife. I then seal it away in a locked box and bury it in the woods.

To atone for my sins, I describe what I've done on the internet in hopes that others may learn from my experience.
Jan 6, 2017 7:37am
Thread
I quickly ambulate, or slowly drive, around random spots in town attempting to catch virtual mythical creatures in multicolored spherical containers. Then I enslave them for my own use and amusement, all the while avoiding the attention of homeowners, shopkeepers, and local law enforcement.
Jan 6, 2017 8:35am
Thread
I walk around in the woods of central NC with a sharp knife and a canvas bag, looking for Oysters, chickens, and Hens, when I find them i cut them, put them in my bag, take them home and fry them up with butter, salt and pepper.

Yummy
Reply to: #940154 by airstream dreams
Jan 6, 2017 9:19am
Thread
Take me, take me, I'm hungry already. I spotted some Oysters growing on my last hike. Leaving them to grow a bit and then slice, dice and into my mouth they go.
Jan 6, 2017 10:19am
Thread
Hobbies are on pause. Passions are unfolding.

After kicking my own arse into "fake it til ya make it" mode, I go sign in, lock up my possessions' container and portable communiation device (yes, I know, so hard) into a verticle metal mini closet.

Then I blindy trail a person with a magic pass that opens and closes doors.

Once behind door number 3, I am handed a rectangle filled with info that I rarely use. I round-up normally deamed tramps and rejects, so called top of the food chain types, who are scared and and feel trapped that desperately need training (even if unaware) on how to...
fake it til they make.
About to hollow out a book!
Jan 6, 2017 4:30pm
Thread
It's my first time. Wish me luck!
Re: About to hollow out a book!
Reply to: #940174 by Angel and Demon
Jan 6, 2017 4:54pm
Thread
Good luck! 🍀🍀🍀🍀

(I'd make those green, but there is no mark-up to do that, at least not in the Markup Help.)
Reply to: #940175 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 6, 2017 5:34pm
Thread
Thanks! I found a good tutorial online, so I'm hopeful.
Reply to: #940177 by Angel and Demon
Jan 6, 2017 6:37pm
Thread
Could you post the link to it?