A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Thoughts on planting...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #937580 by PiggyJaunt
Nov 8, 2016 6:15am
Thread
Perhaps you stumbled on the secret real reason for VA replacing so many guardrails - the weight of so many letterboxes and geocaches warped the old guardrails.

But I'm pretty sure they're not dusting for fingerprints or staking out the guardrails.
Reply to: #937608 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2016 6:35am
Thread
:::::gasp:::::

Watch out for the Guard Rail Police.
Reply to: #937588 by Wronghat
Nov 8, 2016 6:41am
Thread
Doesn't bother me. I really don't think letterboxes are such a problem in Virginia or any other state that anyone is going to be making an issue out of it. Wouldn't stop me from planting.

There are also many letterboxes at rest stops all over the country.

And thus far they seem to have only noticed geocaches. Another reason it's good that letterboxing seems to for the most have kept a much lower profile.

MM
Reply to: #937601 by wassamatta u
Nov 8, 2016 6:57am
Thread
How did you make your magnetic box?
Reply to: #937577 by Rocklun
Nov 8, 2016 2:07pm
Thread
Yes. Again, bees nest there.

And ants!
Reply to: #937625 by buddyjumper
Nov 8, 2016 2:10pm
Thread
I glued the magnet to the INTERIOR bottom of the box. That way it was less likely to come off when being retrieved.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #937625 by buddyjumper
Nov 8, 2016 8:20pm
Thread
i use the larger magnetic keyholder boxes you can get at hardware stores or Harbor Freight.
Reply to: #937673 by bluesky
Nov 8, 2016 10:56pm
Thread
i use the larger magnetic keyholder boxes you can get at hardware stores or Harbor Freight.

These?
If you sent me stamps......
Nov 9, 2016 6:36am
.......to hide, they're safe! My son has had some severe medical issues lately (blood clot in his brain, now seizures) and I haven't had ANY time to LB. I'll get to them soon, I promise. Thanks for understanding. Xoxo
Reply to: #937679 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 9:26am
Thread
I use one that is similar but looks deeper. I get them locally at Lowe's. They also have a new key hiding accessory that goes in the ground. The top is designed to look like a sprinkler head. Will eventually find a place that works for one of them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-Magnatic-Key-Box/3120711

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sprinkler-Head-Key-Hider/3091253
Missing stamps....
Nov 9, 2016 11:55am
So, I was searching my stamp stash and figured out that I am missing two stamps. Both of them are Tinkerbell. For the life of me I can not figure out where they went. I didn't plant them so I must have donated them, but to who. I keep a list of stamps that I have donated and to who I donated but they are not on those lists. Did I donate a Tinkerbell or 2 to you and not write it down? Please let me know. I was looking for all my disney stamps to donate to the next disney event. Thanks guys.
Jenn
(who feels like she is losing her mind)
Feeling very unorganized
Nov 9, 2016 12:00pm
Thread
Ok. Since I have recently lost a couple of stamps, I would like to know how everyone keeps organized. I usually put the stamps in a ziplock but I do have a plastic separator box that is for trading cards that I use too. Then there are the stamps that have returned from postals, and the stamps that are ready to be planted (but have no more space in this area for planting) Just so much stuff and I am so unorganized. Then there is all the paper supplies from LTC making. And 6 binders full of LTC's. Shipping supplies. Carving supplies. Its all just so overwhelming. How do you guys stay organized? I would love to see pictures if possible.
Re: Feeling very unorganized
Reply to: #937703 by BrockBrood
Nov 9, 2016 12:24pm
Thread
For finished stamps that I'm not currently working with, I have three boxes: People & Doctor Who, animals, and miscellaneous. The miscellaneous box is grouped into letters (for letter LTCs with the letter as part of the stamp), plants, non-human beings (aliens, gnomes, etc.), and other.

LTCs are organized by mine, LTC trackers, and others that have been given or sent to me. The first and last used to be in the same binder until the expansion of both just got too big for one binder. The binder with mine also has scrap paper (from cutting up LTCs, and I've used it to make cards before), and a second that I've cut out of ads that have design ideas that could be used on stamps. (I won't use them as-is but will probably use them as seeds for ideas.)

I also have some stamps to plant that are in envelopes in the box with the People & Doctor Who. I'm trying to up my game on the quality of boxes that I plant so they haven't been planted yet. I'll be working on the boxes after Thanksgiving. Depending on how much snow we get I may or may not be able to plant them before spring.
Reply to: #937705 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 1:16pm
Thread
Thank you for your input and ideas!
Re: Location of Live & Breathe in 2018
Reply to: #936590 by Rocklun
Nov 9, 2016 1:49pm
Thread
Hey peeps in Tennessee. What say you? Any ideas or thoughts popping up?

deniserows
to keep this thread alive
Reply to: #937705 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 2:04pm
Thread
For organizing paper for crafting:

I use a plastic accordian style folder for 8.5X 11 size paper. Folders in a drawer in my rolling cart for hand dyed papers. I have a second rolling cart that has 12x12 drawers that have handles that I use for 12x12 loose scrapbook papers. For scrapbook 12x12 paper that comes in a book, I keep those in an under the bed box. The only reason those are separate from the other 12x 12 loose papers is that box also contains all my wires and other Bind It All supplies.

The carts also contain my inks, embossing powder, colored pencils in pencil cases, misc embellishments, etc.

I have my stamps in 2 plastic boxes in no particular order. I plant most of them or send them out, so it is not a big deal. I have maybe 30.
I don't do postals. Hitchhikers stay in my backpack.
Reply to: #937693 by IrishRef
Nov 9, 2016 2:05pm
Thread
I've used those magnetic key holders also, the smaller ones and the deeper ones. They are great for the right spot.

I also have what is probably a life time supply of film canisters that I got on eBay once. lol

I like that sprinkler head one. I'd buy that. That looks like something those dreaded cachers would use. ;)
Reply to: #937714 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 3:54pm
Thread
I like that sprinkler head one. I'd buy that. That looks like something those dreaded cachers would use. ;)

I know you did a smiley, but I'm going to reply mostly seriously.

Surprisingly, there have been few geocaches that I've found that have used either magnetic key holders or a sprinkler hide. I think all of those have been real sprinklers that no longer work that have been pressed into service as geocache containers. Also, by their nature below ground, sprinkler containers will be more likely to get wet.

I've actually found more rock key hiders. There are more places that you can hide a rock than a sprinkler, at least without it looking out of place.

Since geocaches have to have at least a log, smaller containers are more often used. A letterbox has to have at least a stamp, and a log is used to stamp in. Stamps can be made small, but if you figure a 1"×1" stamp it will still eat up the log much quicker than a line or two of a geocache log will. The log will probably have to be replaced often, depending on finds.

It's possible, though more difficult, to do a good letterbox in one of these small containers.
Reply to: #937708 by BrockBrood
Nov 9, 2016 3:57pm
Thread
I am new to boxing and carving so I do not have a lot of stamps to organize yet so it was easy to start the system that I am using.

I created a coil bound "Carving Journal". I have stamped into it every stamp that I have carved so far. If the stamp has been planted, I have a posty note across the image saying that it was planted and where. (I should also add the AQ# of the planted box.) If it was donated (only 3 so far), same thing. The actual stamps are stored in empty CD cases. The clear ones. Each image in the journal has a # that tells me which case the stamp is in. This is how I have stored all of my stamps for years, so it was easy to adapt it for my hand carved stamps.

I also have a small box of sealed envelopes cut in half. These each have the image on the front and the original drawings, tracing paper transfers and notes on colors, etc inside. So if I want to recreate a LTC, I know which pencils I used, or if I need to recarve the stamp, I have the original drawing.

I do not know how to share pictures on AQ, but if you would like to see any please let me know. I am willing to share!

The rest of my supplies are just everywhere in my craftroom. Filing cabinets, plastic drawers, etc...

:O)
Reply to: #937719 by Homecraft
Nov 9, 2016 4:00pm
Thread
The actual stamps are stored in empty CD cases.

Isn't most of the material used for stamps too thick to fit in a CD case?
Reply to: #937720 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 4:03pm
Thread
The white stuff is, but the pink stuff fits perfect. I only use the pink stuff now, so it works well.

:O)
Reply to: #937720 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 4:40pm
Thread
"Isn't most of the material used for stamps too thick to fit in a CD case?"

This is the same question I had... I want to see pictures now.
Reply to: #937721 by Homecraft
Nov 9, 2016 4:41pm
Thread
I would love to see pictures... I am going to aqmail you.
Reply to: #937713 by FloridaFour
Nov 9, 2016 4:44pm
Thread
How do you keep your stamps straight when you donate? Do you just remember or do you have a system that you write it down somewhere? I have a horrible memory and can never remember who got what.
Reply to: #937587 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 4:46pm
Thread
You're pretty sure? Your source of this information would be?

"Pretty sure" doesn't require a source of information, it means "most likely, and if you don't believe me, look it up yourself". Turns out they were right, tho.

Your motivation for getting in this poster's face without doing the research would be?
Reply to: #937717 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 4:56pm
Thread
I can't speak for the original poster but I would simply be using the fake sprinkler head in a small place of some kind. Lots of different small spaces.

That being said.....as for small containers.....

Not all letterboxes have logbooks. If used in a series, a small container works for just a stamp. Most people don't put logbooks in all the boxes in a series anymore, at least not in my area on the east coast.

I also know how to make a "hinged" stamp so I can make it larger than 1" by 1". This is old school that not many people do anymore. I can also make a logbook out of a strip of the long paper "tape" that is used in cashier's machines. It can fit quite a few people logging in.

If I use film canisters I can also tape the bottoms of two together with duct tape and put the stamp (sometimes hinged) in one and very long piece of cashier's tape in the other end. I have done this with urban boxes and the logbook has lasted for quite a while. You fold the tape several times and roll it up to place it inside the canister. That is a lot of logbook. There is usually enough room to put the paper inside a tiny plastic bag purchased at Staples if you sacrifice a bit of logbook. I have also seen other urban boxers do this with much success, though you have to look online for canisters these days. They are readily available on several web sites.

I have also used long, space age plastic tubes used in labs for small stamps, roll up the cashier's tape inside....lot of logbook.

Lots of imaginative ways to plant small boxes in small spaces. Lots of people have done these kinds of plants. My ideas are certainly not original.
Reply to: #937703 by BrockBrood
Nov 9, 2016 6:50pm
Thread
I have a system where I wrap each stamp in felt and store in plastic. I don't have a lot of space at home, so I stash them out in the woods, and then jot down some notes to help remember where I put them. But I tend to lose the notes, too, so I post them online and then share with a few friends.
Reply to: #937693 by IrishRef
Nov 9, 2016 8:51pm
Thread
I've known geocachers and letterboxers to just use an actual sprinkler head! Probably cheaper.
Reply to: #937728 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 10:53pm
Thread
Not all letterboxes have logbooks. If used in a series, a small container works for just a stamp.

Point taken. That would be a good use for a small hiding place, and one that I've planned to use on a future hide.

I can also make a logbook out of a strip of the long paper "tape" that is used in cashier's machines. It can fit quite a few people logging in.

I've found a letterbox like this. It was in a pill bottle. A sprinkler would be about the same size. However, as I pointed out, sprinklers do tend to get wet and will certainly not be able to go commando.

I'll certainly use your ideas for a letterbox that I've been thinking of but have been wondering about how to do the log.

I also know how to make a "hinged" stamp so I can make it larger than 1" by 1".

Please tell me more.
Reply to: #937729 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 10, 2016 12:14am
Thread
Wow! I never thought of that! ;-)