Oct 2, 2016 8:33am
Thread
Lemonade!
Re: Letterbox travel?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #935737 by Sunia
Oct 2, 2016 2:28pm
Thread
You just missed their trip to Italy this past April. I believe that was their second, maybe third Italy trip. They've done a few cruises, taken a group to Dartmoor, twice I think?

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=3405

They will list next year's on the event page at some point and tell people that they also need to go to a separate site, outside AQ in order to officially sign up for the trip when it comes time to actually make plans and pay.

I've never been but everyone seems to love the trips. There are several people who go with them every year.
Reply to: #935762 by MissMoon
Oct 2, 2016 4:17pm
Thread
I just read some information on their facebook page and it looks like they have a trip to Hawaii in the works for April/May 2018. I would love to take a trip like this to letterbox. Thanks for the info and I will keep my eye on the event page.
Reply to: #935762 by MissMoon
Oct 3, 2016 7:50am
Thread
Italy is great. Hawaii, too. Looking for 2017.
Reply to: #935738 by Grumpy Grinch
Oct 3, 2016 7:53am
Thread
Sounds good, thank you.
Updating clues
Oct 4, 2016 3:39pm
Thread
I have recently gotten back into the game after a 5 year hiatus, and I have noticed a subtle shift in the management of traditional letterboxes. I am NOT talking about the 'clues versus directions' issue that has been discussed recently. This is something else.

In my day (2000-2011), if a finder noted a relevant change in the letterbox clues, that finder would send a note along with the find notice to the planter, detailing the changes. The planter would then update their clues accordingly.

It seems that these days, if a finder notes a relevant change in the clues and sends the note to the planter, the planter simply 'approves' the notice posting detailing the change - but does not update the actual clues in the text of the letterbox clues itself.

I am running searches for boxes and cutting and pasting into Word to take the clues out on to the trail, but now I find myself having to also cut and paste the box comments to get the correct clues.

Is this now part of the mythos of letterboxing?

Warrior Woman
just curious, not scolding
Re: Updating clues
Reply to: #935909 by Warrior Woman
Oct 4, 2016 4:40pm
Thread
It seems that these days, if a finder notes a relevant change in the clues and sends the note to the planter, the planter simply 'approves' the notice posting detailing the change - but does not update the actual clues in the text of the letterbox clues itself.

I'm leery of changing clues unless I've revisited the site to verify the finders' accuracy. I usually don't mind people reading in the notes what the finder believes to be true, but too often the clues are still right-on and the finder is just mistaken.
Reply to: #935910 by Wronghat
Oct 4, 2016 6:41pm
Thread
... but too often the clues are still right-on and the finder is just mistaken.

Where have we too often heard that line of thinking in other social venues? Is
this just another example of how guys too often think that gals are mistaken?

Warrior Woman makes a good point that environs can change over time, so a clue
that was spot-on yesteryear may become misleading. Public comments are helpful.
Reply to: #935920 by Frenchie
Oct 4, 2016 7:39pm
Thread
I agree that I'm hesitant to change clues based on what someone else says, without verifying on my own. But, in the past, I have added a note in the clue itself that "someone said" and leave the original clue there as well.
the pink stuff
Oct 4, 2016 7:48pm
Thread
Today in Hobby Lobby I noticed that they had moved the carving stuff. They had 2 slabs of 6x8 pink stuff dated 2007 on both of them.
Oct 4, 2016 8:09pm
Thread
Is this just another example of how guys too often think that gals are mistaken?

Please don't project your faults onto messages where they do not apply. "Finder" is not gender specific. You're as bad as my wife.
Re: the pink stuff
Reply to: #935931 by airstream dreams
Oct 4, 2016 8:11pm
Thread
Score! Good for you! I hope you grabbed them up! And btw, sorry I missed you at the Hogwarts event....but I'll catch you at the next NC event! :-)
Oct 4, 2016 9:41pm
Thread
I found two boxes recently - one which I added a public comment, and the other I private messaged concerning a change of the environment. In both cases, the clues were modified to show this change within days.

So, perhaps what you've been seeing is not a trend, but rather, just the action (or inaction) of a few individuals. How many boxes did not have updated clues? Are these old boxes? Are the planters still active? There are many factors involved.

I've been boxing for 3 years, and for the most part, the boxes we've looked for all have had clues that are pretty current.
Reply to: #935910 by Wronghat
Oct 5, 2016 3:25am
Thread
I'm leery of changing clues unless I've revisited the site to verify the finders' accuracy. I usually don't mind people reading in the notes what the finder believes to be true, but too often the clues are still right-on and the finder is just mistaken.

I agree with this and don't usually change clues without verifying it myself, unless the same thing has been reported a couple of times and/or the finder has very specific details that allow me to see how the clue is incorrect. I think the difference, as Warrior Woman points out, is that in general people visit their own boxes far less than was previously done.

In years past, if I received a report that the clue was wrong or the environment had changed and the clue should be adjusted, that box was on my list for a visit the next weekend, and appropriate changes were made as quickly as possible. My observation has been that it is far more common now to plant a box and call it good, perhaps never visiting it again (this is a generalization and I realize it does not apply to every person and every box). Perhaps because we have the addition of public comments now, it has become commonplace to rely on finders to note significant changes in the environment -- not sure what is behind the evolution of practice in this regard.

There have been a few boxes recently though where the clues were outright incorrect and we likely would have not found the box had it not been for the comments of other finders... some of those comments from 2-3 years ago.
Reply to: #935939 by SpringChick
Oct 5, 2016 4:54am
Thread
Right or wrong. Some people feel the changing environment is part of the game. That if a box is 10 years old realizing those changes are on the solver. Obviously if the tree the box was in is totally gone it's a different story.
Reply to: #935948 by Baqash
Oct 5, 2016 5:14am
Thread
I would agree with that when it comes to over-time, naturally occurring environment changes, but not for clues that are just outright incorrect (i.e. right should be left, north should be south, etc.) or where there has been significant work done that has affected the clues. For example, a park near me use to have colored posts on the trails -- red trail, blue trail, green trail... but they were all removed and the entire trail system was reposted with numbered posts. For somebody who does not happen to have an old map lying around, it would be near impossible to find a box there that used the trail color system and had not been updated since then.
Reply to: #935939 by SpringChick
Oct 5, 2016 5:42am
Thread
I think the difference, as Warrior Woman points out, is that in general people visit their own boxes far less than was previously done.

In years past, if I received a report that the clue was wrong or the environment had changed and the clue should be adjusted, that box was on my list for a visit the next weekend, and appropriate changes were made as quickly as possible.

Awesome is the wisdom of our elders. Your Right~hat reply perspectives are flawless on all points! It's human nature to think that the fault more often than not lies with the other person ... just ask my dad or my wife or my children. However, after years and some reflective introspection i've come to realize that we are often our own worse enemy or at the very least just as mistaken (e.g. Donald and Hillary).
Oct 5, 2016 7:27am
Thread
I am running searches for boxes and cutting and pasting into Word to take the clues out on to the trail, but now I find myself having to also cut and paste the box comments to get the correct clues.

I also mine the comments for additional details but then I just put them in the "My Note" section for that box using the "My Note" pencil icon just below the location. Whenever you have notes associated with a box, they will print when you print your clues. No one else can see your notes. I also use "My Note" for keeping track of my solutions to puzzle clues.

If you are cutting/pasting b/c you want to shorten the clues for purposes of saving paper/ink then what you are doing is the way to go. Just wanted to give you a suggestion if you are only doing it for the purpose of including some of the (hopefully) helpful comments.

Peace
CTEE
Oct 5, 2016 7:39am
Thread
Maybe you are remembering the later part of that timeframe, but when I first started (2002-2006, then 2010-) clues where almost never updated. LbNA didn't have online logging. Part of the challenge was looking around and trying to figure out if it looked like anything had changed.

I found a box that had not been found in 7+ years. The trails had moved and most of the landmarks were gone (look at the base of a 6' stump) but I found it.

My point is it can't be too bad if the last person found it without the update, and you have that info if you want to use it. I will update my clues either after I check on it or get a second confirmation - sometimes people read the clues wrong or simply miss something along the way.

My box in AZ had someone comment that it was at the 3rd pine and not the 4th. The next person commented that there was an obvious fresh stump along the way and I updated the clues. They both found the box and got the stamp - thats the important part.
Reply to: #935934 by Gypsy Fiddler
Oct 5, 2016 9:19am
Thread
What a score! I can just see it, Hobby Lobbys all over the country being overrun by inky fingered people.

Old Blue
Oct 5, 2016 10:50am
Thread
Hey, I once hid a box under the edge of a boulder that was perhaps 10 feet across and 5 feet high. Got some reports that people couldn't find it, so next time I was in the area I checked on it and the boulder was gone! In its place was a field of small rocks, perhaps a foot across. I'm guessing somebody busted up the boulder, but that certainly would have been a lot of work for no apparent benefit. No sign of my box, of course, although I didn't bother to try to turn over every one of those rocks looking for it.

I had another box that survived for years planted near an old steam locomotive on static display. I showed up to check on it and the locomotive was gone! I don't even know how they'd move it! It was on a peninsula, there were no tracks or anything off of the peninsula. It had originally been left there from the days when a track came to that spot and before canals were dug around it. It must have been a serious task to move it. A local said the mayor sold the locomotive to some town a coupla states away that really wanted it, apparently that particular locomotive was important in their local history somehow. The town buying it was responsible for moving it, and somehow they got the job done. And, of course, my box went missing in the process. The box wasn't ON the locomotive, but it went missing nonetheless.

SWMBO, who ascribes to her own religion that can be summed up as "God is a hoot!", says I'm causing all these things to happen by planting letterboxes. If I want a park closed, or a building demolished, or a road flooded, all I have to do is plant a letterbox there and it'll happen.
Reply to: #935972 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 5, 2016 12:38pm
Thread
So what were the years of the "bad" pink stuff? I would like to know what years to stay away from while hunting pink stuff in the wild.

:O)
Oct 5, 2016 2:13pm
Thread
Where have we too often heard that line of thinking in other social venues? Is
this just another example of how guys too often think that gals are mistaken?

Warrior Woman makes a good point that environs can change over time, so a clue
that was spot-on yesteryear may become misleading. Public comments are helpful.

Whhooooooosh.
Reply to: #935931 by airstream dreams
Oct 5, 2016 2:18pm
Thread
Was the bad years 2012 and 2013? maybe?

Sorry I missed you too at Hogwarts, that was really a great event
Oct 5, 2016 5:29pm
Thread
Right or wrong. Some people feel the changing environment is part of the game. That if a box is 10 years old realizing those changes are on the solver. Obviously if the tree the box was in is totally gone it's a different story.

I had someone write to me once and say that they never heard the water "gurgling" in the stream. They never kept watch off to the side for a dry stream bed, walked right past it. There's an famous series in the Catskills (I think you know the one - :) that some people have had a hard time with because of the sometimes dried up waterfall, :).

Lots of people seem to not mention changes on the trail, landmarks, etc, if they managed to find the box anyway. I think they figure they were able to find it so.....

MM
Reply to: #935986 by Homecraft
Oct 5, 2016 5:31pm
Thread
I think the lousy stuff was 2012. The problem is that the date we're looking at is actually the copyright date on the packaging, not the date the material itself was made. Speedball uses the same copyright date for years; in fact, I think the stuff they're currently selling still says 2013 on the package. And I'm talking about the 6x12 slabs; the packaging for the 4x6 stuff may have different copyright dates on the packaging for all I know.

Both the 6x12 and the 4x6 pieces are made on the same manufacturing line which is rolling out a 6" wide strip, they just cut it into 4" long pieces or 12" long pieces. However, pink stuff is available in other sizes, including a 12x12 I believe. That slab cannot be produced on the same manufacturing line. So, is that other process making material that's better? Worse? Different? Did it change to lousy and then change back to acceptable at a different time than the 6" wide stuff did? Who knows?
Reply to: #936008 by Kirbert
Oct 5, 2016 6:28pm
Thread
Thanks for the informative reply...I will just have to take my chances and purchase what I can find. It is not very plentiful up here. Our Michaels carries both size slabs so hopefully they will continue to keep it in stock since I have cleaned out one of the three locations already.

Reply to: #936011 by Homecraft
Oct 5, 2016 6:44pm
Thread
I'm jealous none of my local craft stores carry pink stuff. Not the big chain stores nor the small family owned stores, even out local stamping/papercraft store that has all the stamps and ink you could ever want doesn't carry pink stuff. I've resorted to ordering it off amazon.
Reply to: #936012 by buddyjumper
Oct 5, 2016 7:31pm
Thread
It is not cheap up here, but at least the 50% off coupons help. There is an art supply store that I have not checked yet. But if they do have it, it would most likely be full price.

Reply to: #936011 by Homecraft
Oct 5, 2016 7:39pm
Thread
If you keep buying they'll keep stocking it. The main Michaels I get my pink stuff at always has about 4 slabs. I usually buy two at a time. But they always have 4. So they must be getting stock regularly since it keeps getting bought.