A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: That moment when ...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #935326 by west dover quidditch team
Sep 24, 2016 8:24am
Thread
You could rework the clue so the stamp just had to be like that.
Sep 24, 2016 9:34am
Thread
I agree with Dingus...I'd make it work! It breaks my heart to recarve! Or you could possibly make it a bonus oops box?
Dartmoor Saboteur
Sep 24, 2016 2:29pm
Thread
Oh -no! Check out the following link! Let me just same in advance: No I am not sleeping in the woods to help you guard boxes, Rocklun!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/24/letterbox-orienteers-hunt-for-a-dartmoor-saboteur/
Re: Dartmoor Saboteur
Reply to: #935342 by Southpaw
Sep 24, 2016 2:45pm
Thread
No I am not sleeping in the woods to help you guard boxes, Rocklun!!!

If they cross the pond, I'll be waiting, pepper spray in hand!
Selling stamps on Etsy...including sig stamps.
Sep 24, 2016 4:15pm
Thread
I've just opened a shop on Etsy. Listings for custom sig stamps are pretty limited, so I put one up. If you are looking for a new signature stamp, please take a look or message me.

I'd also greatly appreciate shop favorites if you have a minute!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/479744891/letterboxing-signature-stamp-custom-hand?ref=shop_home_feat_1
Sep 24, 2016 4:17pm
Thread
In this day and age, I have to assume the catalouge is now available on line from someone scanning it in, and or found in a used book store. and some Earth type may be on a personal crusade. We in the Washington State area, had a person only known as Forest Defender destroy all boxes on one of our larger picturesque islands. Made it tough to enjoy boxing on a known great destination.
Sep 24, 2016 4:25pm
Thread
Plant it anyway. Make it a funny story.
Re: Selling stamps on Etsy...including sig stamps.
Reply to: #935348 by Traversal Lacerta
Sep 24, 2016 4:44pm
Thread
Ouch...sorry to have missed you :-(
Reply to: #935346 by StasiaBoo
Sep 24, 2016 5:18pm
Thread
We in the Washington State area, had a person only known as Forest Defender destroy all boxes on one of our larger picturesque islands.

I live on that picturesque Island and when "Forest Defender" was on his rampage to destroy letterboxes and geocaches, I opened a case file with a local police detective (who happened to be a geocacher). What I found out was that theft or destruction of personal property, even IF left in a public place, IS a prosecutable offense. In fact, the collective value of the destroyed property can rise to a level which would make it a felony. There were a few newspaper articles discussing what was happening, and quoting both a sheriff and a park ranger using the word "crime". Shortly after that, the eco-nazi jerk stopped blogging and inciting others to join him, and went silent. Apparently, his desire not to end up in jail, was stronger than his desire to rid the Island of the "scourge" known as letterboxes and geocaches.
Reply to: #935345 by Open Space
Sep 24, 2016 5:48pm
Thread
As soon as I can figure out what my etsy password is, I will give you a Favorite. Stamps are very nicely made and very reasonably priced.
Reply to: #935352 by FloridaFour
Sep 24, 2016 7:03pm
Thread
Thanks for the help!
Reply to: #935339 by Raven
Sep 24, 2016 8:00pm
Thread
Hmm, just might work...
Sep 24, 2016 9:04pm
Thread
Wasn't there a whole thing set up once for people to send their backa$$wards stamps to?
Sep 24, 2016 9:07pm
Thread
I did it once, and didn't realize it that quickly. It was an image of a helicopter. That means the main rotor has the blades cocked to indicate it rotates the wrong way, and of course the tail rotor is on the wrong side. I didn't notice for months, and I don't think any finders ever noticed!
Sep 24, 2016 9:09pm
Thread
We in the Washington State area, had a person only known as Forest Defender destroy all boxes on one of our larger picturesque islands.

Geocachers in Washington state have been hit by someone taking geocaches. I think they called themselves Forest Defender too.

Edit: I see that Wise Wanderer posted about this too. I'm leaving my post up though.
Reply to: #935338 by dingus dufus
Sep 25, 2016 5:42am
Thread
Holding the image up to a mirror would make the "encrypted" lettering readable :)
Sep 25, 2016 7:28am
Thread
Turn it into a bonus box called Alter Ego :-)

Warrior Woman
likes to make lemonade but oohh I feel your pain
Reply to: #935345 by Open Space
Sep 25, 2016 7:48am
Thread
I favorited two and shared the girlscouts one on facebook. Cute!
Sep 25, 2016 9:00am
Thread
Sep 25, 2016 11:00am
Thread
What is wrong with people? I don't get mean people. :o(
Sep 26, 2016 12:31pm
Thread
"It’s been happening for the past few years, but there’s no point calling the police because they wouldn’t do anything about it.”

A few years?! Augh! I hate mean people.

KuKu
Wearing gloves while boxing?
Sep 27, 2016 4:43am
Thread
Do people wear gloves while letterboxing? Normally, I don't (except for winter gloves when it's cold), but I'm planning to bring a pair of leather work gloves when I head out to a Western state soon. I figure that might help protect me from poisonous critters when I'm retrieving a box. Or is that overkill?
Re: Wearing gloves while boxing?
Reply to: #935455 by Rocklun
Sep 27, 2016 4:56am
Thread
dont forget the cactus that we like to hide stuff in. i thinks its a brilliant idea!!
Reply to: #935456 by Sea Maid
Sep 27, 2016 5:01am
Thread
I didn't even think of cactus! Thanks!!
Sep 27, 2016 5:13am
Thread
I had a pair of boxing gloves once, but i got rid of them. They made it very hard to open the boxes and even harder to get the stamp out and stamp in. However they did come in very handy every time I wanted to hit something or someone. :-)
Sep 27, 2016 6:09am
Thread
Wear one on your off hand for digging out the box and stamp with the nonglove hand or just pull one off for stamping. Or both off between boxes and stick them in an outside pocket of your bag or shorts. Also carry something about the size of a paint stick or use your walking stick to poke in the hole and make any critters really mad before you put you hand in The hidey hole. Or at least mad enough to let you know somethings in there.
Reply to: #935460 by Baqash
Sep 27, 2016 6:14am
Thread
Thanks! We're bringing our hiking poles just for that purpose! :^)
Reply to: #935461 by Rocklun
Sep 27, 2016 6:17am
Thread
Depending on where you are hiking they are also helpful for the hike. 😜
Sep 27, 2016 6:44am
Thread
I use gloves just for pulling out boxes. Not all boxes, but if it looks muddy, or if I have to go into a hole in a tree that is too dark to see what's in there. Or if I have to reach into prickers or pine trees.

No, you can't wear gloves while stamping, or closing baggies...well, maybe one hand.
Reply to: #935464 by Sunia
Sep 27, 2016 6:52am
Thread
sounds like you should carry a glove with you for when you need it - something easy to take on and off and stick in a pocket quickly. I usually just carry my hiking pole and poke the area thoroughly. I don't think Texas is really that much more dangerous than other areas - but that could just be because I'm comfortable with what I'm familiar with.