A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Lock n Locks and Pouches
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933786 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 12:22am
Thread
There are more options other than just L&L's vs. pouches, y'know.

Are we talking Skippy or Jiff?
Re: Tagalong on Restricted and the problem is logging on AQ?
Reply to: #933790 by Wry Me
Aug 30, 2016 4:13am
Thread
If you don't want to restrict via puzzles or restrictions, you can always plant in an area with a recent unsolved murder and then mention it in the
clues. That'll keep people away. :^(
Reply to: #933784 by MudPuddlers
Aug 30, 2016 4:16am
Thread
Well said. I am relatively new to this was well and so is my niece. We box together alot and have had similar situations where I had access to the clues on certain boxes and she did not. She just keeps record of these boxes and when she is able to post she does so. We have also come across numerous boxes that were not rehid well or were in bad condition and we always repair, clean up and rehide better than we find all our finds. Just because someone is new at something doesn't mean they are not capable of setting a good example and doing the right things. We were all new at this once. I believe that finding a restricted box as a newbie and seeing the exquisite carving, logbook detail, packaging and great care put into some of these boxes makes a new letterboxer appreciate the importance of the box to the planter.

I'm not so much worried about the number of my finds; however I do log box that I find, but I do get frustrated when I check on one of our plants and there are 20 stamps in logbook, but only 1/2 of those finders have bothered to log the find on AQ. I think it kind if defeats the purpose in the whole process. Seeing those posts let's us all know that our boxes are still alive and getting activity. But that's just my opinion on that subject.
Reply to: #933786 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 5:55am
Thread
Haha. Yes, I do know that. LNLs have been the best for me for duration. If you can suggest another, easy to find and not expensive, option, then I am.certainly open to suggestions. :-)
Reply to: #933750 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 5:58am
Thread
Thank you all. I will look at those options.

I do have some from the Dollar Tree that we spray painted. They will serve us for some of the boxes. Thank you again!
Reply to: #933816 by Una Marlee Sue
Aug 30, 2016 6:48am
Thread
but I do get frustrated when I check on one of our plants and there are 20 stamps in logbook, but only 1/2 of those finders have bothered to log the find on AQ. I think it kind if defeats the purpose in the whole process.

Many of the old timers letterboxed before AQ. They sing the praises of the time when the only way to see who had visited a letterbox was to revisit it and read the logbook--that's the reason for the logbook. There's something to be said for a veil of mystery and surprise.
Reply to: #933815 by Rocklun
Aug 30, 2016 6:57am
Thread
you can always plant in an area with a recent unsolved murder and then mention it in the
clues. That'll keep people away. :^(

Brilliant. I can see the headlines: Various Body Parts of Non-letterboxers Washing Ashore In the Gulf: Muggles cautioned not to ransack boxes alone. Boxers Encouraged to Use Stealth
Reply to: #933825 by Wry Me
Aug 30, 2016 7:15am
Thread
We felt that it was important to mention the crime at the top of the clues. We don't want women boxing alone in that area until the murderer is caught. But I'm sure the warning is scaring people away (not surprisingly).
Reply to: #933750 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 7:17am
Thread
If you have a local large Asian market, check there. I've found large quantities and good deals in the past.
My apologies and enormous gratitude
Aug 30, 2016 8:04am
Thread
Hello there friends. I would like to apologize to those of you who are about to get bombarded with emails stating that your LTC's, PT's, boxes, and exchanges have now been found. One thing that I am absolutely horrible at is logging my finds. If my mother (musicpals, who would be so ashamed of me to know exactly how back-logged I am) were with me, I would log my finds right then and there, because she is so amazingly wonderful at doing things early or on-time (clearly I missed out on that gene). So, be prepared to see finds from 2014 on. I may not comment on everything just because I really do have hundreds of things to log, but know that I admire all of your creativity and really do love everything that I have found or that has been given to me. Thank you for your patients, for your inspiration, and for putting up with my tardiness. I promise to do better. :)

P.S. I would like to personally thank Gypsy Lady Bug, Cookie Cutter, Topcollector, Jabber, Twofreetimers, Musicpals, Maude, and Linden Leaf for the most gorgeous LTC's that were made for a surprise wedding tracker that was put together for my bridal shower (and the AMAZING stamps that I was given and that I used on our thank you cards!). I am so so so so so sorry for thanking you this late but I absolutely love the cards and am so touched that you would do something like that for me. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. They are proudly displayed in the case that also holds my bouquet and my husband's boutonnière. :)
are lock n locks really all that?
Aug 30, 2016 8:32am
Thread
I hear/read so much about Lock n Locks being all that and more. So a question: If LnL are all that why would the stamp inside need a plastic bag and the logbook need it's own plastic bag which is then put in the stamp's plastic bag, all sealed, and then secured in a LnL? I get not wanting the logbook to get wet, but come on! Isn't this overkill especially if LnL are all that? ;)
Re: are lock n locks really all that?
Reply to: #933830 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 30, 2016 8:35am
Thread
I don't think they do need a baggie and I often leave them out.
Aug 30, 2016 8:37am
Thread
I sometimes want to hide my plants from vigilante park rangers that predated their rules. or mostly did. There. I said it. Let the pelting begin.

A part of me supports the idea of blacklists, say for the person who posted, "I just LOVED everyone's letterboxes in this park!!!" --- on TripAdvisor!

I'd love to argue about this, but I have to finish my letter to Niante demanding they promote me to level 20.

Even if AQ were Willing&Able to restrict HLLOLB (HighLevelLaborOfLoveBoxes) from non-Premium members is the trade-off worth it? Never-the-less i REALLY do feel for those HLLOLB by Premium Members that have achieved a skill level higher than 10 and close to if not quite yet at 20 =:).

Actually, i'm thankful that my carving skill level is closer to 5 out of 20, even though my stealth level (as needed) for retrieving, rehiding and commenting on a recorded find are higher than 5 being somewhere between 10 to 20. Closer to 20 than 10, although DD may differ =;)

The main reason i paid to enlist your help and that of four other high level elite carvers for that "Bridging ... Series 4" and Linus and Goldy at the UofM was that: The monetary cost of out-sourcing the stamps outweighed the emotional trauma i would've had to endure having spent hours and hours carving those 5 stamps myself only to see some of my boxes/carves eventually removed/disappear. As DD posted recently with one of her UofM finds ... "You have ballsy locations" which i took as a compliment, but deleted her public comment as some might get the wrong impression =;)

Arguing is restricted at AQ
Aug 30, 2016 8:44am
Thread
If a bear chews the box after a geocacher sticks a Slim Jim inside (that is, inside the box, not inside the bear), those extra baggies might protect the logbook. A little, anyway.
Reply to: #933833 by Fiddleheads
Aug 30, 2016 8:45am
Thread
I don't think they do need a baggie and I often leave them out.

Going commando!
Aug 30, 2016 8:48am
Thread
I get not wanting the logbook to get wet, but come on! Isn't this overkill especially if LnL are all that? ;)

I'm obsessive compulsive. I like that extra bit of safety for my logbooks.

LnL's are probably the best out there, but not 100% effective. Flaps do break off over time, dirt gets in the seal, plastic does get brittle over time.

Oh, and then there was that person who boxed in the rain, and left water drops in my LnL.
Aug 30, 2016 8:58am
Thread
I'd love to argue about this, but I have to finish my letter to Niante demanding they promote me to level 20.

Niante or Niantic? Very big <G> if you meant Niantic. What happens at level 20? I'm almost at 16 myself.
Aug 30, 2016 9:06am
Thread
Yes. And a bag of chips.
Re: Being a "tag along" on restricted boxes
Reply to: #933775 by MissMoon
Aug 30, 2016 9:13am
Thread
Wondered what Shaggy has been doing since his Mystery Machine Years.
Aug 30, 2016 9:15am
Thread
Well, I like using baggies. Sometimes people don't put the covers on properly. I once came across an intact box that had damp leaves in it, even though it was closed. I have no idea why that happened. At least the baggie had no leaves in it. Also, even a lock n lock can get cracked if someone hides it under some pointy rocks.
Reply to: #933848 by Penfeather
Aug 30, 2016 9:23am
Thread
I prefer duct taped baggies but they often do not hold up well particularly in the woods. Starting to rethink this practice if going into the woods. The are easily damaged and tend to be wet either from leaks or condensation. Of course if people don't reseal them it is the same as an open box. No solution for disrespectful boxers. However, a baggie does well in some areas when not on the ground or under rocks. Also like that they will fit in smaller hiding spots.

Just me two cents
Aug 30, 2016 9:51am
Thread
I have come across Lock n Locks that have been broken (flaps broken) or holes in the side (I think from beating ants off). In those cases the baggie is just an extra precaution (like double bagging logbooks).
Aug 30, 2016 9:52am
Thread
Yeah, I think 3 baggies is annoying. And they are usually 3 cheap baggies, too. One high quality bag for the stamp and logbook to share should be all that's necessary if you're using a good container and have planted in a reasonably dry location.
Aug 30, 2016 10:00am
Thread
Had anyone else experienced leakage with new LnL boxes that have not even been planted yet?

I was considering going baggie-less on some upcoming plants, so I did some water testing on a couple of LnL boxes last night. These were brand new LnL, direct from LnL, with a few scraps of paper placed inside, not near the seals, and both test boxes leaked. After only 15 minutes immersed in a sink of water they had water inside and the paper scraps were wet. They were not filled with water, but enough that when I tipped it to empty a few drops came out. I have had wet LnL boxes in the woods before and have just chalked it up to poor closure, weather-worn seals or dirt/baggie corners compromising the seal, but now I am wondering about that.

I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!
Reply to: #933840 by JampersandJ
Aug 30, 2016 10:10am
Thread
Niante or Niantic? Very big <G> if you meant Niantic.

One of the downsides of being a smartass is that sometimes you don't know what you're talking about. Heh. I asked my son who owned Pokemon Go! Musta misheard him. :)
What happens at level 20?I'm almost at 16 myself.

No clue. I'll ask him. Lovin' that edit button.
Reply to: #933852 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 10:21am
Thread
I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!

They (overseas) don't make them like we (USA) used to make them. Vote for Trump. He's decided to have his brand of ties made in the USA =;)
Aug 30, 2016 10:31am
Thread
I hear/read so much about Lock n Locks being all that and more

Not so much in the arid hot southwest. Those flaps break off after a season. We're better off with nut containers and my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids. Still need baggies though.
Reply to: #933854 by Frenchie
Aug 30, 2016 10:40am
Thread
Just as I suspected.
Aug 30, 2016 10:51am
Thread
I took my baggies out of the LNL because they took up so much space and people didn't close the lids properly and the boxes got soaked. I personally hate baggies, and if a box is too full with multiples of them, I will take them out. One is plenty.

The downside of LNL is in Florida, if I plant with not enough shade, the snaps break. But Tupperware has gotten wet for me. No perfect solution. People in Florida have taken to no logbooks, they have given up on trying to keep the boxes dry.
Reply to: #933850 by Topcollector
Aug 30, 2016 11:09am
Thread
yes, I've heard of "double bagging." ;)