A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Experienced boxers?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933134 by Rocklun
Aug 18, 2016 3:06pm
Thread
When I rehid the box and stood up, a light bulb went off as I looked at our surroundings. The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!!

“Your Honor, let the record show that the witness made the drinky-drinky motion"
Reply to: #933135 by Rocklun
Aug 18, 2016 3:18pm
Thread
This is why Teacup and my motto is

"What happens in the Team Mudcup Mobile STAYS in the Team Mudcup Mobile." Oh, the stories.... ;)
Aug 18, 2016 3:27pm
Thread
The point of this story is to let newer boxers know that even relatively experienced boxers make really silly mistakes frequently sometimes!! :^)

Yup, that we do!

When I do something dumb I always say "What happens on the trail stays on the trail". LOL!!!
Reply to: #933143 by mudflinginfools
Aug 18, 2016 3:30pm
Thread
Lol! That's the smart thing to do, Mud! Southpaw and I feel that the best way we can contribute to the letterboxing community is to make every one else feel better about their own mistakes, since their mistakes probably aren't as goofy as ours! ;^)
Aug 18, 2016 3:57pm
Thread
a light bulb went off as I looked at our surroundings. The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!!

HAHAHAHA!! That wins "funniest letterboxing story I've heard"!!!

I admit to doing even dumber things . . . but they weren't nearly as funny, and not all of them ended well.
Aug 18, 2016 4:13pm
Thread
Oh I have done the same thing...going on about planters that don't know north from south etc when the box isn't there and then seeing that all important piece of clue that you didn't notice before LOL!!
Aug 18, 2016 4:23pm
Thread
This is just like AA Milne's story of Tigger and Roo [or was it Pooh?] searching for Heffalumps! They follow their own footprints.
Reply to: #933147 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 18, 2016 4:27pm
Thread
HAHAHAHA!! That wins "funniest letterboxing story I've heard"!!!

You know what's sad, WW? The only thing in my story that wasn't quite accurate was how long it took before I read the compass bearing correctly. It was actually more like 20 minutes, but I was trying to make us look a little less pathetic!
Aug 18, 2016 5:23pm
Thread
you have made my day!
i don't feel so bad about being on the wrong trail, right city wrong trail. how was i supposed to know there was 2 addresses. i suppose i could have read the clues more carefully?
so now......... after reading your tale i have decided i can still call myself a letterboxer!
smile
Reply to: #933140 by christmas6
Aug 18, 2016 6:44pm
Thread
We have some boxes here that use 2:1. I was really confused until I saw that all of her clues used that and figured out what it meant.
Aug 18, 2016 10:05pm
Thread
a light bulb went off

Isn't it interesting how a light bulb "going on" and "going off" mean the same thing?
Happy AQversary Webfoot
Aug 20, 2016 4:02pm
Thread
10 years Congrats !!! Appreciate all you do for our hobby/obsession !!!

DT54
Yes, I Know....
Aug 20, 2016 4:13pm
this isn't the geocaching board but we talk about it enough here, so....lol....

Geocaching serial killer in Austria. Even uses Lock n Locks. No self respecting serial killer would use Gladware.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/16/book-review-five-ursula-archer/WEoF0WTh2WmdfnyqF0NYbP/story.html
Re: Happy AQversary Webfoot
Reply to: #933218 by Daytrippers 54
Aug 20, 2016 4:14pm
Thread
Yes. Happy cake day! Thank you for all you do. Hope to meet you on the trail or at a gathering around here!
Aug 20, 2016 8:25pm
Thread
I second (third?) the good wishes!! I think we owe a lot of the stamps/boxes/LTCs in existence today, to your Stampeaz materials and supplies, not to mention your unbeatable customer service!! Big thanks from me, too!!
donated stamps
Aug 21, 2016 8:28am
Thread
I have sent out many stamps to people that I have lost track of over the years. For the most part, I am pleased to do so and happy that I am sharing them. I do get sad when I send things out and I never hear about them again though.

This note is a friendly reminder that when you ask for a stamp, you should use it. If you don't want to or can't, please find someone who will use or share it (or even send it back)! I know that things come up and you are going to lose some things. It happens. It just happens to be happening too often.

Writing this has given me an idea.....
Maybe I should organize an event and ask for donations. I could call it the Celebration of Wayward Stamps.
Re: donated stamps
Reply to: #933248 by LROSEM
Aug 21, 2016 9:57am
Thread
I know for a fact that if I ever got any of your carves, I'd have a REALLY hard time parting with it. I'd probably make it into some sort of traveler or WOM that I'd plant like in my driveway so I could literally always keep an eye on it!!
Aug 21, 2016 9:59am
Thread
Wow, 10 years! Without Webfoot where would we be? She's been such an asset to this site and to our hobby.
Aug 21, 2016 10:50am
Thread
What Raven said!!!
Reply to: #933255 by Raven
Aug 21, 2016 11:25am
Thread
I appreciate the sentiment, but they aren't all works of art. lol Sometimes, I wonder if people don't like them. That and BOTH of you carve at least as well, if not better than me!

Even if people are worried about planting them, they are meant to be planted.
Reply to: #933255 by Raven
Aug 21, 2016 12:19pm
Thread
I donated a partially modified Artist Mustached Mickey Mouse stamp to a newbie once. I had made it for my neice, but she merely shrugged her rude preteen shoulders at it, so I didn't give it to her. So I sent it to a newbie who had wanted stamps. Never even got a thank you message. No idea if they received it or if they used it for anything. And now no idea who they even were. It would've just been nice to get an email that said, "I got your stamp, thanks!".

Anyway, because of my neice, and then the newbie, that stamp left a bad taste in my mouth.
Reply to: #933267 by FloridaFour
Aug 21, 2016 12:39pm
Thread
Ive been lucky enough to get the aweseome carves by both LROSEM and Raven - ready to plant and then i fell and tore tendonds and ligaments on BOTH ankles and am on crutches and in walking cast and both will require surgery ! But im DYING to get out and plant thm on the trail . they are in their pouches , logbooks made and ready to go , along with some from captn slick kitty and other boxers.

So from someone who has recieved dontated stamps from various letterboxers I want to say thank you thank you thank you - I think it's hard sometimes at least for me personally because these are other peoples works of art and they took the time to do them and you don't want to just plant them anywhere - sure I could just ditch a stamp super fast and plant it somewhere but when I look at spaces to plant things I always make sure that it's going to last or at least it has a fighting chance to last before I just plant . Also if I know the stamp isn't going to get out for a little while I will generally ask permission from the person who carved it and try and send it out as a postal so that other people can enjoy it while it's sitting waiting for its home

With that said taking someone stamps and not planting them with full intention to not plant them is just wrong ! I don't think you should ask for something if you're not going to follow through with it or carry out the project :-( so sorry all of you have had so many issues makes me sad
Reply to: #933268 by brailleboxer
Aug 21, 2016 12:55pm
Thread
I was in no way referring to you! You just got mine. I am so not worried. I am pretty forgiving anyway. I am talking about people that accept stamps and two years later, there has been no attempt made at planting them.

I really do hope you are healing well. :) <3
Reply to: #933269 by LROSEM
Aug 21, 2016 1:08pm
Thread
I am on both ends of this issue. I often donate stamps and I also request donations every so often ( most recently Deerhunter stamps and Wizard of Oz stamps.) I personally don't mind if I hear about my donated stamps. Often these are planted for events and they might get a lot of finds initially but then not so much. Sometimes they are used as table top or hidden in plain sight and may or may not get hidden permanently later. When I make requests it is usually make for a soecific trail that I am planning to hike....one that does not have any boxes and needs boxes :-).

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #933268 by brailleboxer
Aug 21, 2016 1:32pm
Thread
Ive been lucky enough to get the aweseome carves by both LROSEM and Raven - ready to plant...

::Peels out and speeds down to SoCal::

;)
Reply to: #933274 by kudichan
Aug 21, 2016 1:56pm
Thread
Kudichan I LOL literally !!!

Keep an eye on my plants as they are always all donated stamps because I can't see to carve. At the very beginning of my clues I always put who the stamp is donated by. I recently had a fall so I'm off my feet for a while but I do plan on planting along the trail here by my house as soon as I can get out there and there will be stamps on there from Raven , LROSEM and gypsyladybug as well as neenandjoy :-) and I p plan on doing a drive-by series in Anaheim with a set from Captain slick kitty -
So stay tuned !
Reply to: #933269 by LROSEM
Aug 21, 2016 1:59pm
Thread
LROSEM - I was in no way referring to you! You just got mine. I am so not worried. I am pretty forgiving anyway. I am talking about people that accept stamps and two years later, there has been no attempt made at planting them.

I really do hope you are healing well. :) <3

Brailleboxer - I knew you weren't referring to me :-) I was just putting my $.10 and now I think it's so rude when people take stamps and don't plant them ! I'm getting around a little bit better now but I will have to have surgery and that will put me back at square one again which will be no weight-bearing for 2 to 6 weeks Blah - then I have to have the ankle on the other side done which will be repeat , double blah .... I'm hoping to put some space in between both surgeries so that I can get planting done before winter sets in-yes I'm that crazy that I would put off surgery on the second until I can get some letterboxes planted LOL
!
Reply to: #933276 by brailleboxer
Aug 21, 2016 2:46pm
Thread
You're not crazy, just a boxer. I scheduled my surgery last summer ASAP so I would be ready for my event last fall. :)

Really though, take your time. They will wait for you to heal up.
Aug 21, 2016 3:43pm
Thread
I agree...I once donated 4 stamps to one individual and not only didn't he plant them, he had the nerve to ask for more. Two years later and not one has been planted.

I like to donate stamps and I would say roughly half of my donations get planted. And yes, people have been known not to even say "thank you". You have to have a thick skin if you have high expectations when donating.
Aug 21, 2016 5:25pm
Thread
COWS? Mooo..ve those stamps!