A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Remember That Recent Data Breach?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #931900 by KuKu
Jul 26, 2016 10:07am
Thread
Same for phone calls. They can sound so good.

But those guys from the "Windows Technical Departments" seem so nice
Re: Pokemon Go
Reply to: #931907 by Maiden
Jul 26, 2016 10:49am
Thread
I have a postal ring called "Fill Your Pokedex" and plan on planting my carves starting near a PokeGym when the ring is finished.
Reply to: #931891 by Girlguides
Jul 26, 2016 10:57am
Thread
Got the same Paypal email. Is there anyway to block the sender?

Not really. You can block that one but then it will just come from someplace else. I've gotten fake email from "PayPal" long before the LBNA hacking. I forward it to the email on the real PayPal site that deals with fraud/spam/phishing, etc.

I actually closed my PayPal account because I just felt better not having the account for a while and I hadn't been using it for a while either. I still get the phishing emails even though I have no account.

There is also phishing email from the "USPS", "UPS", "Fed Ex" and any number of fake sources.

I have also been given billions of dollars from different pastors, businessmen and dying people in different parts of Africa. LOL!!!! I have even had "Michelle Obama" tell me I have money coming. bahahahahaaa.
Re: Resource for Property Ownership, Addresses
Reply to: #931884 by Grrly Girl
Jul 26, 2016 11:58am
Thread
You guys seem to be talking about the satellite photos. Satellite photos can be old or new, it just depends on the last time a satellite got a good pic. I'm talking about the information on the map, the stuff that's been input by somebody over top of the satellite photo. Does any of that seem old or out of date?
Reply to: #931898 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 26, 2016 12:01pm
Thread
...you want to write a filter that blocks all e-mails that contain links or attachments, unless the sender is in your address book.

It's easier to create that filter between your ears. Don't open any links or attachments unless you know the sender, and perhaps not even then!
Reply to: #931900 by KuKu
Jul 26, 2016 12:06pm
Thread
Same for phone calls. They can sound so good.

If you have any idea whether they sound good or not, you've been on the phone far too long. If someone that isn't a friend or acquaintance calls you, hang up as quickly and rudely as possible. Period. End of story. There is no reason to ever listen to a pitch coming from someone who has called you. They deserve nothing but scorn, and jail time if anyone could catch them. If you're on the Do Not Call list -- and you should be -- they deserve to be fined thousands of dollars.
Reply to: #931923 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2016 12:31pm
Thread
It's easier to create that filter between your ears.

By that logic, it is easier to walk than use a wheeled conveyance :)
Reply to: #931926 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 26, 2016 12:49pm
Thread

Yes, I've been telling that to people for years. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #931929 by Green Tortuga
Jul 26, 2016 1:08pm
Thread

Yes, I've been telling that to people for years.

Such as, perhaps, a STROLLER?
Reply to: #931930 by wassamatta u
Jul 26, 2016 1:10pm
Thread
Such as, perhaps, a STROLLER?

Even strollers have their limitations....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #931915 by JampersandJ
Jul 26, 2016 1:38pm
Thread
O RLY NOW???

I may or may not have an image of my favorite group of Pokemon transfered onto pink waiting to be carved. I was going to plant it but I find I get a lot of joy out of postals, since there aren't a lot of finders in S. Fla (and many of the main finders here often see my stuff before I plant!). Maybe you need some Eeveelutions in your ring?
Reply to: #931926 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 26, 2016 2:01pm
Thread

You mean that Hoverboard? It's also easier to use a match than use a Hoverboard to light a fire. ;-)
Reply to: #931933 by DM Scuba Brat
Jul 26, 2016 2:08pm
Thread
Maybe you need some Eeveelutions in your ring?

You could always make up your own Pokémon to carve. I could be something you'd like them to make for you to capture.
Reply to: #931933 by DM Scuba Brat
Jul 26, 2016 2:28pm
Thread
Eevee-lutions! Heheheheheheh.

I am also enjoying postals a lot. The bulk of my carves now are postals first, with the intention of planting them in the future. That way, if the box goes missing, at least it already has had a good 'life'.
Re: Pokemon Go--to answer Kirbert
Reply to: #931737 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2016 6:43pm
Thread
Just to follow up. As near as I can tell, you can only use Google Maps with Pokemon Go. As my oldest explained it to me, you can use the Google Maps offline because downloading the maps also downloads the tags that are used by the Niantic databases to place the pokemon in the "real world". Other maps would not possess the tags, so the world could not be populated with the stops, gyms, and critters.

As far as the maps disappearing when you zoom in, I don't know why that happens. I've had it happen on a laptop if I zoom in closer than Google has a map resolution for, or if my laptop just decides that, no, I really don't need to zoom in that far.

I currently use data for maps and everything because, while I like the app, I really don't want to be out using it for hours at a time. I use it when I'm walking for exercise anyway--usually for about an hour a day. So far it's been easy on the data usage.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #931701 by Yonderboy
Jul 27, 2016 6:52am
Thread
I agree with you! Age doesn't matter. if you have fun doing it then game on!

Satchel Paige once said, "Age is a question of mind over matter; if you don't mine, it don't matter."
Creative activity lessens stress
Jul 27, 2016 8:13am
Thread
I thought all you stamp carvers out there would find the following article interesting--especially those of you who think you're not very good at carving, because the study shows that you don't have to be good at the creative activity in order to reap the benefits! :)

"The results, published in Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, titled 'Reduction of Cortisol Levels and Participants’ Responses Following Art Making,' found that 45 minutes of creative activity significantly lessens stress in the body, regardless of artistic experience or talent."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/study-says-making-art-reduces-stress_us_576183ece4b09c926cfdccac

Best,
Parhelia
Re: Creative activity lessens stress
Reply to: #931963 by Parhelia
Jul 27, 2016 9:02am
Thread
Seconding that not being good at it really isn't a reason not to do it. Aside from the occasional prodigy, NOBODY is good at first, and the only way to become good is to practice. ;-) Clearly, though, there are inherent rewards in the process in addition to whatever stamps you actually produce.

Thanks for sharing this interesting article. We letterboxers should be a very relaxed bunch.
Re: Creative activity lessens stress
Reply to: #931963 by Parhelia
Jul 27, 2016 4:15pm
Thread
My MIL will be happy to hear that. For years she considered herself "crafty", and by that I mean she'd make garbage to sell at her church. The stuff was awful, she had no taste or skill whatsoever, but she'd be ever so happy when she'd sell three dollars worth of stuff that she had cobbled together out of five dollars worth of materials.
Teacup logbook/hat with clover stamp
Jul 27, 2016 4:28pm
Thread
Hello, all.

Today, at the Salem-South Lyon District Library in South Lyon, I found, in "Frog and Toad Visit Michigan" by Dawnkey, a little stamp of a hat with a clover on it. However, the logbook called it "Teacup" and said it was a Planter's Prize. I have not encountered this before, so, if it is a mistake of some kind, it is still there,

Sir Mikiel
Re: Teacup logbook/hat with clover stamp
Reply to: #931986 by Sir Mikiel
Jul 27, 2016 6:13pm
Thread
Does the logbook have different finders stamped into it with dates? It might be a HH but not sure why they are calling it 'planter's prize".

Ask the person who found it before you if they left it there. It only had one finder before you. If not ask the planter about it.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=243197
Reply to: #931988 by MissMoon
Jul 27, 2016 6:18pm
Thread
Chiming in here, I believe this is the listing for the hh or whatever it is:

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=74120

The planter is Teacup.

I found it in another box and put it in Frog and Toad when I planted Frog and Toad. I guess it's a confusing item because so far the first two finders of Frog and Toad have commented on it but left it in the box.
Reply to: #931989 by Dawnkey
Jul 27, 2016 6:35pm
Thread
Maybe because it says "Planter's Prize"? I've never seen a HH called that. I think that is making people wonder what it is in spite of the logbook and people having stamped into it. If there was an HH on the logbook that would make it clear to everyone.

:::shrug::::
Reply to: #931990 by MissMoon
Jul 27, 2016 6:44pm
Thread
If there was an HH on the logbook that would make it clear to everyone.

All HH logbooks should have the words DON'T PANIC! printed in large friendly letters on the cover.
Reply to: #931991 by Don't Panic
Jul 27, 2016 10:51pm
Thread
And "Thanks for all the fish!" on the back. :)
Picked up a Cootie - Help
Jul 29, 2016 3:32pm
Thread
Been boxing since 2007 and have never picked up a Cootie in a box before. I have only picked up Hitch Hikers. Do I treat it as a HH since I picked up in a traditional box? Should I mail it back to the owner? It started in 2008 went missing from 2009 until 2015. Any thoughts?
FamilyFromFlorida
Re: Picked up a Cootie - Help
Reply to: #932062 by Family From Florida
Jul 29, 2016 3:46pm
Thread
Well, since the definition of a cootie is a stamp that travels from person to person, if you know of another letterboxer that you can pass it on to or if you will be attending an event, try that first. If you don't think you will be able to get rid of it in a timely manner, contact the owner and see what they want done with it. :)
Reply to: #932063 by JampersandJ
Jul 29, 2016 4:39pm
Thread
I do not go to any events and I don't know anyone else that boxes. I guess I will contact the owner and see what they want me to do with it. Thank you so much for your help :)
Reply to: #932064 by Family From Florida
Jul 29, 2016 5:03pm
Thread
You're most welcome!

If you don't hear back from the owner, then I guess it'll have to go into a traditional box again.
Reply to: #932062 by Family From Florida
Jul 29, 2016 6:02pm
Thread
You can send it to me :-D